Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Accenture Malaysia, For those who applied/ currently working

views

Drian
post Apr 11 2011, 02:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(sylar111 @ Apr 11 2011, 11:55 AM)
Then why preach it. Why say that there is work life balance when the fact is that people basically do not have any life after joining that company. I mean wun it hurt your credibility if you preach something that you do not practice?
Because it's advertising and marketing. The HR needs to promote the company to attract talent.
You don't expect them to tell you the truth and say you won't have any life working there do you?
Don't expect people to tell you the fine print on how the culture is in any organisation, it's up to you to find that out yourself.
SUSsylar111
post Apr 11 2011, 02:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,547 posts

QUOTE(daccorn @ Apr 11 2011, 10:41 AM)
all you wanted me to say is there is a high turnover because the company is just not good enough to keep them. There you go I've said it.

Work life balance is a choice of the individual. Don't blame the company that you have to stay back because there is too much stuff to do because the individual themselves can't get over the guilt of not finishing it then and there. But I'll give you this, if you really want work-life balance whatever that means, it really depends on which project you get into. You sacrifice for any employee in your own choice, people tend to blame the employer they work with these days saying they pay too little for the work they are giving you. Why the hell stay then ? JUST LEAVE. And then they kept on giving it their all everyday they go to work smile.gif case solved, we all just need some sleep. But if you really think about it, it's not the employers giving hell, and it's not the employees blindly sacrificing themselves but that payable bill that goes into your mail and the end of each month and materialistic world today that's only making earning money ever more so important regardless of what you are tasked with
that my friend is completely wrong, people have a right and choice to say no to the task they are given with. Don't tell me they don't in accenture otherwise you are going to start sounding like a disgruntled ex-acn. And I think we are talking fresh grads here, correct me if I'm wrong but what kind of capabilities do fresh grads have these days other than a cert proving you've done some degree somewhere ? Everyone has to learn and if you are not willing to learn from basics then again... by bother joining the workforce lol .. so naive

Google? you can google anything these days so just because only disgruntled comments gets highlighted in your eyes I wouldnt be bothered by it too much.

maybe reread my last sentence. I mentioned all companies in general I did not say Accenture and do stop addressing what I've said out of context
Are you from the consulting work force? Well that really says it all really right? Seriously, you have really shown what Accenture is all about haven't you? If say I was implementing a project or something, I would not even consider using your services just based on what you have just said.

Well it took you so long to figure it out? I mean stop hiding behind lines like saying that people are leaving because of the market. It sure isn't convincing.

One moment you say this and the other moment you say that. So what are you trying to say right now. That work life balance is because of the individual or work life balance is because of the project. I am getting really confused here. For those who are reading this right now, you know what to do. I mean do not stay on in the company just because of the "prestige". So I was not really wrong as to why there is such a high turnover rate right? I mean why do you like hiding behind lines just to defend Accenture? You are brainwashed?

Do you know why people are so naive into overstaying longer then their welcome? Because they forgot that just like the employer we do have a say. They got conned into thinking that Accenture is such a prestigious company that they have to sacrifice everything including their dignity to be there.

You are the one who is being naive here. I guess you really do not understand the meaning of inflation dun you. The reason as to why people are so poor just like you is because they have this mindset that they have to work so hard just to get their next paycheck. They do not understand what is the term called career advancement and also to learn things that may be useful for their future. They do not understand that as employees we are actually providing service to the employers. It is a mutual agreement. The employee pays the employers for their services not to be their slave.

Wow. You really enjoy putting words into people mouth. When have I ever implied that I am talking about fresh grads. See you are even confusing yourself. Didn't you just said yourself that ACN is a place that encourages the individual to put the company first and also didn't you make this phrase "on a wrong impression you will do what you want to do". I guess you are implying everyone right?

You mentioned cause the throng of haters out there simply arent making enough noise. and I just provided you with the evidence. Who cares whether you are going to read. After all it would not changed a thing right seeing how brainwashed you are?

I guess instead of being a mnc we perhaps should call Accenture a MLM i mean seeing how much they wired the members there.

You are really a great advert for Accenture. Really. You should post more.

Added on April 11, 2011, 7:45 pm
QUOTE(Drian @ Apr 11 2011, 02:06 PM)
Because it's advertising and marketing. The HR needs to promote the company to attract talent.
You don't expect them to tell you the truth and say you won't have any life working there do you? 
Don't expect people to tell you the fine printon how the culture is in any organisation, it's up to you to find that out yourself.
I do not expect them to say that I wun have a life there but at the same time I do not expect them to preach about work life balance as if it is something that they religiously follow. There is a fine line between credibility and hiding the truth and by preaching to others something that is actually very very far from the truth is actually a lack of credibility. Which is another thing that they claim to have

This post has been edited by sylar111: Apr 11 2011, 07:45 PM
daccorn
post Apr 11 2011, 08:15 PM

Casual
411 posts

You are really a great advert for Accenture. Really. You should post more.

why thanks!

The reason as to why people are so poor just like you is because they have this mindset that they have to work so hard just to get their next paycheck.

well I'm a person who like to earn my keeps, can you please amuse me more by bringing someone in who'd say they do not need to work hard to get their pay check lol you are so delusional it's entertaining

I guess instead of being a mnc we perhaps should call Accenture a MLM i mean seeing how much they wired the members there.

that is just out of line, but thanks for entertaining me thus far

and you may type another essay now
SUSsylar111
post Apr 13 2011, 01:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,547 posts

QUOTE(daccorn @ Apr 11 2011, 08:15 PM)
why thanks!
well I'm a person who like to earn my keeps, can you please amuse me more by bringing someone in who'd say they do not need to work hard to get their pay check lol you are so delusional it's entertaining
that is just out of line, but thanks for entertaining me thus far

and you may type another essay now
Well, seriously you are being out of touch in this world. I never ever said that we do not have to work for our next pay check. I am just implying that employment is a mutual agreement between the employer and employee. You do not have to be a slave just because the employer hires you. Our life is not just limited to work. If someone just concentrate on work alone, he will definitely be poor in the future. This is a well known fact. There needs to be time to learn other useful things such as investment,etc and of course othere things that interest you. But I guess people like you who has been brainwashed to thinking that your income is only being limited to 1 stream.

Well what do you mean by out of line? You do not understand the implicit meaning that I am trying to convey? Seriously, now I realize that Accenture just hires anyone in the dumps because you do not even have the intelligence to understand what others are saying. I mean how will you have the intelligence to solve client's issues. I guess the only thing you can do is lick your manager's toes.

PS: I am glad that you are really being entertained. But I am even happier that other people are also getting entertained. Let's continue entertaining each other shall we?

This post has been edited by sylar111: Apr 13 2011, 01:40 AM
lock_82
post Apr 13 2011, 08:06 AM

Getting Started
291 posts

Seriously Sylar111, you hit the jackpot about Accenture or any big corporate around

is lick your manager's toes.

SUSsylar111
post Apr 13 2011, 06:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,547 posts

QUOTE(lock_82 @ Apr 13 2011, 08:06 AM)
Seriously Sylar111, you hit the jackpot about Accenture or any big corporate around

is lick your manager's toes.
Oh ok. Actually I do know that. But I never knew that it would be so bad until this extent.
yellowdoll
post Apr 16 2011, 01:17 PM

23 posts

reading tis thread is making me think twice!

how about managerial role in Accenture? in the various dept - which is the more workable division?
i do expect mayb ending at 8something daily... but not near mid nite... sighz... so to say yes or say no...
Seiryu
post Jun 13 2011, 06:42 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(sylar111 @ Apr 11 2011, 02:09 PM)

Added on April 11, 2011, 7:45 pm
I do not expect them to say that I wun have a life there but at the same time I do not expect them to preach about work life balance as if it is something that they religiously follow. There is a fine line between credibility and hiding the truth and by preaching to others something that is actually very very far from the truth is actually a lack of credibility. Which is another thing that they claim to have

I just came back from Accenture interview. FYI, they have never "preached" about work-life balance like mentioned in the quote above. On the other hand, they specifically mentioned that accenture can be a demanding company. It is up to my discretion whether I want to take up the demanding tasks and contribute to the company. Aside from the high pay, the chance to be exposed and trained thoroughly in fields across the business world comes along with these demanding tasks. I have interviewed with several MNCs and I can say that the amount of exposure able to be gained from Accenture is very impressive.

QUOTE(sylar111 @ Apr 11 2011, 02:09 PM)
You are the one who is being naive here. I guess you really do not understand the meaning of inflation dun you. The reason as to why people are so poor just like you is because they have this mindset that they have to work so hard just to get their next paycheck. They do not understand what is the term called career advancement and also to learn things that may be useful for their future. They do not understand that as employees we are actually providing service to the employers. It is a mutual agreement. The employee pays the employers for their services not to be their slave.
The funny thing is, I have been exposed to a couple of inflation theories proposed by orthodox monetary and development economists, i have never heard of the theory that inflation can be caused by "this mindset that they have to work so hard just to get their next paycheck." and "[the mindset that] they do not understand what is the term called career advancement and also to learn things that may be useful for their future." I find it amusing that you are accusing others of being naive of not knowing what is inflation, but you yourself have not clearly understood what really is inflation all about.

And might I add that most competitive and high paying jobs nowadays like consulting requires you to put in long working hours. Just take a look at any top management consulting firms like the MBB (I hope for someone who has given such strong insight to the management consulting field, you know MBB is). You will know that Accenture is not alone in this sense.

This post has been edited by Seiryu: Jun 13 2011, 06:47 PM
raymond80
post Jun 13 2011, 09:51 PM

34 posts

Seiryu - Some comments on ACN

1. You'll probably assigned to one field instead of many in normal cases.. I was with one client for 3yrs before moving on... mainly working on SAP..
of course a lot of instances it is related to luck... if your project life cycle is short.. probably u get to move around a lot.. unless you're into management.. you probably won't be able to master particular skills...

2. if you're not fresh grad.. acn probably not the right place... as you get people as young as 21 as analyst.. 24 consultants... 27 managers... and they rarely give u much credit if you're not from the same field.. i.e. consulting... don't be surprise u get some young ciku as your supervisor..

3. be clear what is ur intention of joining consulting firm... if you have certain area/skills you would like to master.. try asking the manager who did the interview whether this particular skills are relavant here.. more often than not.. they throw you in watever project they can find if you don;t have much relavant skills..

my 3 cents

Currylaksa
post Jun 13 2011, 10:37 PM

Regular
1,616 posts

QUOTE(raymond80 @ Jun 13 2011, 09:51 PM)
3. be clear what is ur intention of joining consulting firm... if you have certain area/skills you would like to master.. try asking the manager who did the interview whether this particular skills are relavant here.. more often than not.. they throw you in watever project they can find if you don;t have much relavant skills..
yup thats the worst that can happen, get trapped without a definitive skillset
daccorn
post Jun 14 2011, 08:30 AM

Casual
411 posts

QUOTE(raymond80 @ Jun 14 2011, 12:51 AM)

which is might as well
Seiryu
post Jun 14 2011, 10:34 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(raymond80 @ Jun 13 2011, 09:51 PM)
Seiryu - Some comments on ACN

1. You'll probably assigned to one field instead of many in normal cases.. I was with one client for 3yrs before moving on... mainly working on SAP..
of course a lot of instances it is related to luck... if your project life cycle is short.. probably u get to move around a lot.. unless you're into management.. you probably won't be able to master particular skills...

2. if you're not fresh grad.. acn probably not the right place... as you get people as young as 21 as analyst.. 24 consultants... 27 managers... and they rarely give u much credit if you're not from the same field.. i.e. consulting... don't be surprise u get some young ciku as your supervisor..

my 3 cents
Thanks for the insight! I have a question, from your experience and from what i understand in ur reply, does it mean that it is a good idea (or a better idea) to join ACN as a fresh graduate, and attached to the management team?

This post has been edited by Seiryu: Jun 14 2011, 10:35 AM
daccorn
post Jun 14 2011, 11:37 AM

Casual
411 posts

QUOTE(Seiryu @ Jun 14 2011, 01:34 PM)
Thanks for the insight!  I have a question, from your experience and from what i understand in ur reply, does it mean that it is a good idea (or a better idea) to join ACN as a fresh graduate, and attached to the management team?
there is not a "better" team in ACN, all workgroups are rather equal in the learning opportunities they present - just like what was pointed out before, be wary of what field / knowledge / expertise you want to go into in the next 3-5 years and seek out a project / opportunity that would allow you to maximize your growth and learning curve in pursue of that - can you need to always keep that in mind so you don't fall off track (which sometimes is good cause one can discover an area of interest and haven't been thought of)

Currylaksa
post Jun 14 2011, 01:09 PM

Regular
1,616 posts

QUOTE(daccorn @ Jun 14 2011, 11:37 AM)
there is not a "better" team in ACN, all workgroups are rather equal in the learning opportunities they present - just like what was pointed out before, be wary of what field / knowledge / expertise you want to go into in the next 3-5 years and seek out a project / opportunity that would allow you to maximize your growth and learning curve in pursue of that - can you need to always keep that in mind so you don't fall off track (which sometimes is good cause one can discover an area of interest and haven't been thought of)
Is it? hmm.gif

People always tell me that in Accenture, some projects have ridiculous hours and lousy treatment ™ while some projects 5pm go home and easy get promotion (O&G like Shell). Also they say the consulting line always promote faster and got better chance to learn, than the software line.
daccorn
post Jun 14 2011, 01:22 PM

Casual
411 posts

QUOTE(Currylaksa @ Jun 14 2011, 04:09 PM)
Is it? hmm.gif

People always tell me that in Accenture, some projects have ridiculous hours and lousy treatment ™ while some projects 5pm go home and easy get promotion (O&G like Shell). Also they say the consulting line always promote faster and got better chance to learn, than the software line.
well, it is always good to full body experience it yourself. There is not one person or a group for that matter whose words could fully represent the entire picture. So take it with a pinch of salt what negative things people say about ACN - and the positive things too!

I think if you are a freshgrad then we shouldn't be talking about promotion now if one has nothing to show for as of yet. But if you are an experienced hire then it's best to to consult the HR there imo. Also learning opportunities has a blur relationship with promotion - i think starting off as fresh grad ur job is really to maximize your learning opportunities for now and socialize with as many seniors as you can and tap on their experience (especially those who are experts in the field you are gunning for) they will always be ever willing to assist to you set a learning direction for your goals.
SUSsylar111
post Jun 14 2011, 05:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,547 posts

QUOTE(Seiryu @ Jun 13 2011, 06:42 PM)
I just came back from Accenture interview.  FYI, they have never "preached" about work-life balance like mentioned in the quote above.  On the other hand, they specifically mentioned that accenture can be a demanding company.  It is up to my discretion whether I want to take up the demanding tasks and contribute to the company.  Aside from the high pay, the chance to be exposed and trained thoroughly in fields across the business world comes along with these demanding tasks.   I have interviewed with several MNCs and I can say that the amount of exposure able to be gained from Accenture is very impressive.
The funny thing is, I have been exposed to a couple of inflation theories proposed by orthodox monetary and development economists, i have never heard of the theory that inflation can be caused by "this mindset that they have to work so hard just to get their next paycheck."  and  "[the mindset that] they do not understand what is the term called career advancement and also to learn things that may be useful for their future."  I find it amusing that you are accusing others of being naive of not knowing what is inflation, but you yourself have not clearly understood what really is inflation all about. 

And might I add that most competitive and high paying jobs nowadays like consulting requires you to put in long working hours.  Just take a look at any top management consulting firms like the MBB (I hope for someone who has given such strong insight to the management consulting field, you know MBB is).  You will know that Accenture is not alone in this sense.
That is what they preached on the advertisement all the time. That has been their main motto.

Well I guess you never read properly. Seriously, you just pull a statement out and assume that this is what I am trying to imply. I am saying that because you work so hard, you will not have time to develop in other aspects sufficiently and your income may not be able to keep up with inflation. Instead of stating this or that theory, why dun u just learn how to read properly. I really find it really laughable that someone of your "stature" can just read something without thinking twice.

Are you one of the accenturians. Because what you have just said is just absurd

This post has been edited by sylar111: Jun 14 2011, 06:15 PM
Seiryu
post Jun 14 2011, 07:07 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(daccorn @ Jun 14 2011, 01:22 PM)
well, it is always good to full body experience it yourself. There is not one person or a group for that matter whose words could fully represent the entire picture. So take it with a pinch of salt what negative things people say about ACN - and the positive things too!

I think if you are a freshgrad then we shouldn't be talking about promotion now if one has nothing to show for as of yet. But if you are an experienced hire then it's best to to consult the HR there imo. Also learning opportunities has a blur relationship with promotion - i think starting off as fresh grad ur job is really to maximize your learning opportunities for now and socialize with as many seniors as you can and tap on their experience (especially those who are experts in the field you are gunning for) they will always be ever willing to assist to you set a learning direction for your goals.
From my experience talking to managers there, it seemed that they are keen to help fresh entrants to grab projects that will help them set a learning direction. But I guess things are not as easy as we think. Some major blocks would come from unpredictable circumstances, like if these projects become unavailable or already been filled up, and fresh grads are left with projects with long cycles.

To Sylar, I noticed that I have interpreted your reply wrongly. I owe you an apology for not reading it correctly and for the sarcasm in my previous post.

But I can't help to question some of the replies you made. Before I fire off into another misinterpreted message, would you mind explaining the following reply you made? Your reply:

Well I guess human right is not really at the top of your agenda. People there are supposed to be slaves for the company. I guess it is all about accenture and not the employers themselves rite?So because i join accenture I am supposed to sacrifice everything for them. I always thought that when i joined a company, any company to be exact, I am supposed to let the company know of my capabilities and what I am able to contribute to the company and the company will then employ me to do a job that is along the lines of my capability. But because this is accenture, the glamour company that we are talking about, now we have to do everything the company ask us to do and not expect to be respected on our side.

1) How is it that by joining Accenture people turn into slaves of the company? Are they not allowed to leave if they're not happy? If not how is this violating human rights?

2) Regarding " I always thought that when i joined a company, any company to be exact, I am supposed to let the company know of my capabilities and what I am able to contribute to the company and the company will then employ me to do a job that is along the lines of my capability." How is Accenture not doing this? And, how do you know that Accenture is not doing this? also, can you provide us with some example of companies that actually does this, to the point you're impressed?

Your insightful replies will help a lot of people in deciding or not whether to join Accenture.

This post has been edited by Seiryu: Jun 14 2011, 07:16 PM
YH90
post Jun 14 2011, 09:17 PM

On my way
606 posts

Can I know more about ACN's Consulting Graduate program, especially job prospects. How fast can we specialize into a particular area? And do ACN hire all year round for this?
firestint
post Jun 14 2011, 10:04 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(sylar111 @ Jun 14 2011, 05:52 PM)
That is what they preached on the advertisement all the time. That has been their main motto.

Well I guess you never read properly. Seriously, you just pull a statement out and assume that this is what I am trying to imply. I am saying that because you work so hard, you will not have time to develop in other aspects sufficiently and your income may not be able to keep up with inflation. Instead of stating this or that theory, why dun u just learn how to read properly. I really find it really laughable that someone of your "stature" can just read something without thinking twice.

Are you one of the accenturians. Because what you have just said is just absurd
Looks like you're the one who is having a thing against people who do not talk bad about Accenture. (I know you are going to say I am one of the Accenturians and that what I said is just absurd (according to you). You're halfway right. I am working in ACN but I do not like it and neither would I promote it to my friends).

Your tone is really degrading and sounds as if nobody knows a single thing and you know everything, which I find kinda disrespectful. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we are just here to share our opinion so why is everything others say "laughable" and read "something without thinking twice" (I know you're going to refute in someway or another to imply that I never read properly and suggest to me that what I just wrote is laughable and that I should re-read again. Every post of yours is asking others to do so. Yes sir, got it).

As for "work-life balance", as far as I am concerned, ACN do not preach about it all the time. Instead, they promote something called "flexible working", which is totally something from having "work-life balance". I suggest you to do more diggings before you use strong tone to accuse others (I know you're going to refute again that I did not read properly what you wrote and that my attitude is laughable and suggest that I should probably read again your posts. Yes sir, got it again).

On another side, have to agree with others that ACN is good for fresh grads relatively compared to experienced hires because :
1. ACN discounts experienced hires if they come from different background. If you are experienced hire, chances are your direct supervisor could be younger than you.
2. The learning curve for a fresh grad is exponential and offers a lot more opportunities to learn and equip oneself with skills and knowledge that are very important in the future career.

It's also true that ACN has this tendency to throw you into any project without any matching of your skills and expertise against the project requirement. So yeah..
MEngineer
post Jun 15 2011, 12:08 AM

...Look at my stars...
850 posts

Wow interesting discussion about Accenture. Accenture SE or SM should read this haha. I am here to share my experience too. My background and ties with Accenture is like this, fresh graduate in Engineering background. Joined Acccenture as my first job as an analyst in a resources project but has resigned from Accenture already smile.gif .

Too many long replies didn't read all but capture few interesting point. I am going to just share my pure experience with Accenture as a fresh grad ex-analyst. Going to keep it short. biggrin.gif

1. About different project with different working hours

-Yes this is true different projects and different manager have different expectations. Some managers are flexible and try to give the best work life balance but some managers are a driver character meaning they really want you to work long hours (actual quote from manager: next time let review first, don't rush off to go home at 6:30 to 7. After review need to do amendments and time goes on).
-Some projects are on a very tight timeline no choice you are pulled in and you have to work late like business developments or SAP projects
-Some managers do have their own agreement to have flexible timing for their assistants like work from home or start late go back late.
-Conclusion it depends but generally the perception that was given to me is that work late is a top performer. Leave early less performance. Partly is peer pressure which causes it. If everybody in your team (more to managers and consultants) leave at 10 or 11 everyday and you leave at 5:30 everyday the perception is different.

2. High turn over rate

-From my observation partly it is because they hire a lot of people who are not from the IT background, lots of engineers. And these people over time will find that IT industry is not suitable career path therefore leaving.
-Secondly is that if you get a shitty project your are in shit. You get what I mean.
-Thirdly is the normal one that people don't get promoted and leave.

3. Project choice

- My experience as a fresh grad you don't get to choose!.
- Take a project given to you because if you keep choosing and go without a project you are under performing because they use the system of chargeability (lay man terms how much you are charging the client aka earning money for the company. No project, no client, no money = not good)
- Most projects also keep a policy of maintaining the people with that account. You will get the chance to change project within that single account but you have no say!

Getting too long. Anyway this is my experience.

33 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0191sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:56 AM