Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> SoftAP -turn wireless usb dongle into access point, want to share something....

views

TSunnamed
post Nov 18 2008, 11:37 PM, updated 12y ago

On my way
501 posts

guys just wanna share this with u because today i felt kinda "cheated"...info below

i've always wanted to own a wireless usb adapter/dongle which can also act as an access point, after seeing the availability of such devices years ago, for example something like this
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2008-11DSale21743283.htm.
another reason for the need is because i never ever got ad-hoc networking to work.

today i was in lowyat and saw this wireless usb adapter Planex GW-US54Mini2G, which on its product box has the description "Support Software AP". The product is packaged in a box similar to the dvd box that come with 3g usb modems. I thought that since the product is packaged differently than those normal dongles that come in cardboard boxes, this product must be quite special.

so i bought it for rm69. went home opened the box to find the cd and installed the windows driver software. i was curious about its mentioned support for linux so i browsed the cd for the linux driver. found it strange that the linux driver files are of the Ralink rt73 chipset!

i tested the AP mode and it was indeed working. Now, i also have a Tenda brand wireless usb that is also of rt73 chipset, plugged it in and it was working as well! so now confirmed the rm69 Planex is no diferent internally than the rm40 Tenda! Just need the configuration software that support SOftAP. i googled and found an old and discontinued SOftAP software project for Ralink wireless adapters..i have feeling that this Planex simply ripped that software.

so, just want to inform u all that u can currently get the AP-capable Tenda dongle for rm40 at SriComp/PCzone (currently also the cheapest wireless dongle in lowyat), just need to find the SoftAP softare (think the software download link in wikipedia looks legit).

hope u guys find this useful.
memkingdom
post Nov 28 2008, 05:43 AM

On my way
529 posts

Great topic rclxms.gif vote you by +1 !!! rclxm9.gif
kons
post Nov 29 2008, 10:19 AM

Конс
Group Icon
5,743 posts

QUOTE(memkingdom @ Nov 28 2008, 05:43 AM)
Great topic  rclxms.gif  vote you by +1 !!!  rclxm9.gif
Strictly no spamming in Networks subforum.

Using onboard WiFi adapter can be changed to AP mode too.
But the question is, how is the coverage like comparing to normal AP?
siamsix
post Nov 30 2008, 09:36 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(unnamed @ Nov 18 2008, 11:37 PM)
guys just wanna share this with u because today i felt kinda "cheated"...info below

"...so i bought it for rm69. went home opened the box to find the cd and installed the windows driver software. i was curious about its mentioned support for linux so i browsed the cd for the linux driver. found it strange that the linux driver files are of the Ralink rt73 chipset!

i tested the AP mode and it was indeed working. Now, i also have a Tenda brand wireless usb that is also of rt73 chipset, plugged it in and it was working as well! so now confirmed the rm69 Planex is no diferent internally than the rm40 Tenda! Just need the configuration software that support SOftAP. i googled and found an old and discontinued SOftAP software project for Ralink wireless adapters..i have feeling that this Planex simply ripped that software.

so, just want to inform u all that u can currently get the AP-capable Tenda dongle for rm40 at SriComp/PCzone (currently also the cheapest wireless dongle in lowyat), just need to find the SoftAP softare (think the software download link in wikipedia looks legit).

hope u guys find this useful.
Thax man i bought tenda aledi and it work ....a dumb ass like me can do it so u guys out there can oso...so simple.... and the speed...i used 3G data card...384Mbps...n i got like 11mbps when used as acess point...but quite ok...can acess the internet using E90...Ipod Touch....& etc...so need Dlink laa...y spend RM4++...when u can choose lesser...thax man for the posting...u inspire ppl like me to "Get Out There" and try...keep posting yaa..
netvagant
post Feb 4 2009, 09:18 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(unnamed @ Nov 18 2008, 06:37 PM)
so i bought it for rm69. went home opened the box to find the cd and installed the windows driver software. i was curious about its mentioned support for linux so i browsed the cd for the linux driver. found it strange that the linux driver files are of the Ralink rt73 chipset!
i tested the AP mode and it was indeed working. Now, i also have a Tenda brand wireless usb that is also of rt73 chipset, plugged it in and it was working as well!
After reading your topic, I have bought D-Link WDA-110, based on the same rt73 chipset and tried to make it work as AP, however when trying to change mode to "Master" I got the following:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
. SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

I've searched at rt2x00 project forum and find the following thread, describes how to make AP from Ralink (including rt73)-based devices:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewt....php?f=5&t=4963

Procedure described there includes building 2.6.28 kernel from custom sources. And it is written also, that legacy drivers тАУ neither rt2x00 nor Ralink original one does not allow Master mode to set.However, from your post I understand that you have just installed linux drivers from the disk and everything works. What was the driver you used and what version of linux kernel you have?

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0329sec    3.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 01:59 PM