8 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lawyers in Malaysia - Low Pay

views

SUStululu
post Oct 17 2008, 03:39 PM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
53 posts

Guys I just graduated with a law degree....

But I heard alot of lawyers in Malaysia get really low pay...even after a number of years..

Its only the status which is good.. asides from that I heard that there are too many lawyers around, and that you have to work many hrs with a low wage for the first few years

Anyone care to clarify?
hoilok
post Oct 17 2008, 03:44 PM

Regular
1,162 posts

every industry also the same one lah , just don't un young ppl nowdays just graduate already want to have high pay
shadow111
post Oct 17 2008, 03:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(tululu @ Oct 17 2008, 03:39 PM)

But I heard alot of lawyers in Malaysia get really low pay...even after a number of years..

Its only the status which is good.. asides from that I heard that there are too many lawyers around, and that you have to work many hrs with a low wage for the first few years

Anyone care to clarify?
even those fresh grad docs, their pay is also low lar..
once you hv the needed experience, then u can earn more..
Vv.SoViEt.vV
post Oct 17 2008, 03:55 PM

ToRMeNted-sOUL
1,359 posts

uh, I never heard of lawyers get low pay in my life.

This post has been edited by Vv.SoViEt.vV: Oct 17 2008, 03:56 PM
Jaroque
post Oct 17 2008, 04:09 PM

Enthusiast
995 posts

itu la, masuk private line, this is what u get.

For government servant, ur starting pay is quite high, but then, you wont be able to raise it higher than private sectors only haha....

DEFINE LOW PAY? Rm1.4k + or Minus is low? Wow..people these days really think too much
SUStululu
post Oct 17 2008, 04:30 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

Well Lawyer's pay is like that:

Starting Chambering -9 Months RM 1500

After Chambering - Legal Assistant - About RM 2500

RM2500 maybe for 3 years +
with minimal increment..

c0ok1e
post Oct 17 2008, 08:22 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

wat?? lawyer so low pay only.. haha..btw i also always hear other professional job start with low pay..and then not so professional get higher starting pay..The system works like this: Professional start with low pay but when you got the experience the pay jump like michael jordan..not so professional start higher a bit but hop like kangarooo later
matt85
post Oct 17 2008, 09:56 PM

EDM fanatic
527 posts

QUOTE(tululu @ Oct 17 2008, 05:30 PM)
Well Lawyer's pay is like that:

Starting Chambering -9 Months RM 1500

After Chambering - Legal Assistant - About RM 2500

RM2500 maybe for 3 years +
with minimal increment..
After 9 months jump 1k; that's low ? shocking.gif rclxub.gif
jhong
post Oct 18 2008, 03:46 AM

On my way
685 posts

I guess the pay will be differs depends on what degree you got , is it ? I mean where do you graduated from ? First class might get higher ?

DarReNz
post Oct 18 2008, 10:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,496 posts

lawyer better go work overseas than msia .....
ooi_jy
post Oct 18 2008, 10:42 PM

48 posts

rolleyes.gif Then how much is Min n Max of Lawyer's paid ,
wodenus
post Oct 18 2008, 11:39 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(tululu @ Oct 17 2008, 03:39 PM)

Anyone care to clarify?
If you work for others yes. If you're a partner in a law firm, that's different smile.gif

Added on October 18, 2008, 11:40 pm
QUOTE(Jaroque @ Oct 17 2008, 04:09 PM)
itu la, masuk private line, this is what u get.

For government servant, ur starting pay is quite high, but then, you wont be able to raise it higher than private sectors only haha....

DEFINE LOW PAY? Rm1.4k + or Minus is low? Wow..people these days really think too much
Private industry usually pays more. It's just that the economy is bad now, so pay scale has dropped a bit. During better times the salaries are very much better.

This post has been edited by wodenus: Oct 18 2008, 11:40 PM
aurora97
post Oct 19 2008, 01:38 AM

I Didn't get the Memo
3,566 posts

I am talking as a Law Grad myself, let me explain why those who have legal background earn peanuts.

As a Law Grad.
There is a flaw because most law gra during their 1st 2nd and 3rd year degree, they don't have ANY working experience. In European countries, they do attachment or jobs that are in line with their studies. So when a Law grad comes out to work, don't expect employers to breast feed because they won't. They expect u the time u join u already have experience and u are able to work independently.

As a chambering student.
Most people have the wrong perception that as a chambering student they r the same as being a lawyer, the truth is they r not. they r probably 50% there. During this phase u will find that most chambering students trying to catch up with what they r suppose to do as a Law grad (as mentioned above). Most Chambering students do not know how to draft, vet, negotiate, do due diligence or even talk properly to clientS! So during this phase, its like going back to collge or university again!!! Most Law firms regards chambering students as liability rather than god sent help.

As a Legal Assistant.
Slightly better, since they have been put through the paces so they r more or less experience. Problem is they r not specialized enought in their field, a chambering student may know 10% coveyancing 10% criminal 10% this and that... I believe it's called "neither here or there" so alot of refining needs to be done.

The truth is the legal profession may sound glamourous but its not, many people have a mistaken idea of what a lawyer is all about because of exposure to too much MOVIES. Not to mention the high cost of becoming a lawyer.

wodenus
post Oct 19 2008, 04:51 AM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(aurora97 @ Oct 19 2008, 01:38 AM)
I am talking as a Law Grad myself, let me explain why those who have legal background earn peanuts.

As a Law Grad.
There is a flaw because most law gra during their 1st 2nd and 3rd year degree, they don't have ANY working experience. In European countries, they do attachment or jobs that are in line with their studies. So when a Law grad comes out to work, don't expect employers to breast feed because they won't. They expect u the time u join u already have experience and u are able to work independently.

As a chambering student.
Most people have the wrong perception that as a chambering student they r the same as being a lawyer, the truth is they r not. they r probably 50% there. During this phase u will find that most chambering students trying to catch up with what they r suppose to do as a Law grad (as mentioned above). Most Chambering students do not know how to draft, vet, negotiate, do due diligence or even talk properly to clientS! So during this phase, its like going back to collge or university again!!! Most Law firms regards chambering students as liability rather than god sent help.

As a Legal Assistant.
Slightly better, since they have been put through the paces so they r more or less experience. Problem is they r not specialized enought in their field, a chambering student may know 10% coveyancing 10% criminal 10% this and that... I believe it's called "neither here or there" so alot of refining needs to be done.

The truth is the legal profession may sound glamourous but its not, many people have a mistaken idea of what a lawyer is all about because of exposure to too much MOVIES.  Not to mention the high cost of becoming a lawyer.
Eh.. when you become a partner, that's when you really make money. It's not glamourous, but it still makes a lot smile.gif come back when you're a partner and then tell me you earn peanuts smile.gif

This post has been edited by wodenus: Oct 19 2008, 04:52 AM
ooi_jy
post Oct 19 2008, 06:51 AM

48 posts

So roughly how much is the paid of Lawyer icon_question.gif
aurora97
post Oct 19 2008, 01:55 PM

I Didn't get the Memo
3,566 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ Oct 19 2008, 04:51 AM)
Eh.. when you become a partner, that's when you really make money. It's not glamourous, but it still makes a lot smile.gif come back when you're a partner and then tell me you earn peanuts smile.gif
u only make partner if...

1. ur really good at what u do
2. someone died i.e. a partner
3. or ur 5 yrs before ur retirement.

it really depends whether u can make it there, u need to polish up your knowledge experience and skill in 5 yrs... Most Law Grads only see what is infront of them and complain, low pay and long hours. if u pass that 5 yr mark u would have succeeded and on your way to riches.

thing is what can a law grad or a chambering student for that matter help a Lawyer, Lawyers have an opinion that Chambering students should pay them instead of the other way round because they r filling up an empty tin with knowledge!

Besides the points above...

I don't deny that there are abuses by law firms, how they take advantage of chambering students or law grads. To hire them as cheap labour or despatch boys in lieu of hiring an office boy. The shouting, screaming, tempers flaring and constant fear whilst working in a law firm, that's why being a lawyer has never beeen easy. It will take nerves of steel and guts to stand out if u right.
wodenus
post Oct 20 2008, 12:47 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(aurora97 @ Oct 19 2008, 01:55 PM)
u only make partner if...

1. ur really good at what u do
2. someone died i.e. a partner
3. or ur 5 yrs before ur retirement.

it really depends whether u can make it there, u need to polish up your knowledge experience and skill in 5 yrs... Most Law Grads only see what is infront of them and complain, low pay and long hours. if u pass that 5 yr mark u would have succeeded and on your way to riches.

thing is what can a law grad or a chambering student for that matter help a Lawyer, Lawyers have an opinion that Chambering students should pay them instead of the other way round because they r filling up an empty tin with knowledge!

Besides the points above...

I don't deny that there are abuses by law firms, how they take advantage of chambering students or law grads. To hire them as cheap labour or despatch boys in lieu of hiring an office boy. The shouting, screaming, tempers flaring and constant fear whilst working in a law firm, that's why being a lawyer has never beeen easy. It will take nerves of steel and guts to stand out if u right.
Yup chambering students are probably the worst-paid professionals in any industry. If you manage to make it as a partner though, then I think you won't have to worry much about money smile.gif

eyez98
post Oct 20 2008, 01:12 PM

Isaactan.Net
1,521 posts

an eye opener
didn't know fresh grad law folks are earning that little..

abubin
post Oct 20 2008, 01:18 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

you can get good pay only if you are a partner or you run your own company. Get the experience and then work your way up big lawyer firm or setup your own firm. Then money will start coming in and you leech your clients and your staffs.
wodenus
post Oct 20 2008, 05:40 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Oct 20 2008, 01:18 PM)
you can get good pay only if you are a partner or you run your own company. Get the experience and then work your way up big lawyer firm or setup your own firm. Then money will start coming in and you leech your clients and your staffs.
Yea top lawyers have the best work/money ratio in the world probably. Imagine, all you have to do is pull some document out of the PC, print it and sign it. You can charge thousands of ringgit for that smile.gif

Actually the legal assistant will probably do the printing for you, all you have to do is sign it smile.gif

8 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0213sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:24 AM