Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Where to buy good and cheap hiking/walking boots?

views

b00n
post Jan 1 2009, 12:26 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Not to mention Army boots needs getting use to or it would cause you blister all around if not paired with good socks.
During the teen days, we used to candle wax the "air holes" to make it "waterproof"....
Think I still got mine stacked somewhere back in my hometown.
b00n
post Jan 8 2009, 02:19 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(Keong @ Jan 8 2009, 06:16 AM)
Hmm...I thought the air holes are there are to allow wter and air to pass through the boots. Allowing ventilation to your feed. That will reduce the risk of trench foot.
In the Malaysian jungle, I think the only things worth keeping dry is your shelter, electronics and lighter smile.gif

Yeah I know.....we're naive back than. haha..... wink.gif

b00n
post Nov 16 2010, 07:07 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Hi-tec is also underated IMO. It's value for money... I meant Hi-tec.
Merrell, hardly see any half-cut or full cut boot on M'sia.

Else, you can try Solomon also which is meant for trail running.
b00n
post Nov 20 2010, 09:45 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

But where to get Inov-8 besides ordering through the net or overseas?
Doesn't seem to see one selling in KL.
b00n
post Nov 27 2010, 04:44 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Merrell usually you can get it from Royal Sporting House.
I know KLCC and Midvalley got Royal Sporting House
b00n
post Mar 1 2011, 11:58 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(serene30 @ Feb 22 2011, 10:04 AM)
are you serious ? I too am looking for hiking shoes for KK, first time hiking, any suggestions ?
Adidas kampung is not for everyone.
If you think you need a good padding insole then adidas kampung wouldn't give you that.
However we used to wear soccer socks coupled with Adidas kampung. But again, it's not for everyone.

QUOTE(N73 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:06 AM)
Any place got sales for these good shoes? I'm going to get a pair for my KK trip.
Try World of Sports.
b00n
post Mar 9 2011, 09:49 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Nike ACG as the name specified is All Condition Gear. Pls show the photo for us to judge.
b00n
post Mar 10 2011, 09:30 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

World of sports sells Hitec. If my memory serves me right, there's a shop at the curve top floor (same floor as al-ikshan) selling Hitec also.
b00n
post May 5 2011, 11:52 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Hiking boot review for our jungle
got Kampung Adidas review (nice one):

This post has been edited by b00n: May 5 2011, 11:56 PM
b00n
post Jun 11 2011, 02:22 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 10 2011, 04:31 PM)
where do u guys buy the leech socks? i see the video b00n posted, its like water proof also.
Not waterproof lar....
Want waterproof, get a plastic bag and stuff your leg inside before wearing then wrap along your leg... seriously.

Anyway, I don't see the need for leech socks. Wear good long pants is enough.
b00n
post Jun 11 2011, 05:53 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

@happy, that is expensive ler...
There's one shop in Midah I came across that sells Kampung Adidas. Same row as those food stalls at the roadside, opposite Public Bank.

@etigge,
Actually no need that troublesome. Unless one wants to wear short pants. With trousers like I mentioned, pair it with a soccer jersey socks. Stuff the end of the trousers into the socks and voila....
b00n
post Jun 13 2011, 12:07 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

If it's rocky terrain, it's not advisable to use Kampung Adidas. Because there's not much support especially on the ankle as well as not much padding.

However, that being said; it all depends on individuals.

With all the boots around, I would still say I prefer our local good ol army boots. Just don't know how to get a hand on it nowadays. I have one during my teens. The only discomfort I have with army boots is the lesser padding, as well as the tight support around the ankle (would "bite" you if you do not break the boot it to the max before the first hike).
b00n
post Jun 13 2011, 03:24 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Never tried winter trekking.
But IMO, you might want to get high cut boot for it and either buy crampon or spikes to be ready just in case needed.

Personal opinion - Not necessary need to get insulated. But waterproof is definitely needed. For insulation, you can wear winter socks. Wear 2 if not enough warm wink.gif

My experience in winter, I wore my timberland mid cut boot with wool socks. Personally I think it's bearable with -ve temperature.

This post has been edited by b00n: Jun 13 2011, 03:25 PM
b00n
post Jun 13 2011, 04:37 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 13 2011, 03:36 PM)
Have you tried Pertama Complex or Chow Kit area?  icon_rolleyes.gif

Nop, maybe 1 fine day when I have the mood to go jungle trekking again I would go and look for it.
Thanks wink.gif

b00n
post Jun 14 2011, 10:51 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 14 2011, 03:40 PM)
Just now saw in SS2 Professor shop, they got sell the green canvas army boots for jungle. But all for kids/teens la. bigger wan don have sad.gif
Where is that?.... My feet quite small; so maybe can fit. I'm only a size 6 or 39... sweat.gif

And I do agree with etigge's comment.
I can never understand people buying clothing attire through the net. One reason being cannot try the comfort and fit. Unless of course one tried the actual items in some shops before purchasing through internet.
b00n
post Jan 2 2012, 11:29 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

There's one topic talking about Vibram here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1396832

Added on January 2, 2012, 11:32 pm
QUOTE(PangurBan @ Dec 30 2011, 08:58 AM)
Vibram Five Fingers are a viable choice of shoes for trekking.  They give your soles a good feel of the terrain underneath, allowing you to adjust your posture, position of your feet, toes etc etc.  You're less likely to lose your balance, slip and fall, twist an ankle etc etc.  Not exactly cheap though.
Anyway, there's pros and cons for wearing such shoes. Same like adidas kampung, or the adidas outdoor posted above this types of shoes got less padding as well as less ankle support. Thus if one doesn't watch where they are stepping, one would be more prone to ankle sprain.

This post has been edited by b00n: Jan 2 2012, 11:32 PM
b00n
post Mar 15 2012, 05:15 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Anyway I will never advocate buying clothing apparels including shoes via internet because we don't really know the actual fit.

Unless it's the same brand and model that one use to wear. Else sometimes even the same brand but different model, also the fitting might be off.
b00n
post Jun 17 2012, 12:14 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(littlejimmy @ Jun 16 2012, 04:31 PM)
Any sifu here can recommend me a good hiking shoes ?  I'm joining the Mount berembung climbathon 28km end of month. and I was thinking to use my kasut getah (kampung addidas) only... however my friend suggesting me to get salomon.... and salomon kinda expensive, if were to get from uk.. it cheaper but sizing are problem and also not sure if got msia tax.

1st time joining climbathon, any advice are welcomed smile.gif
If you want tom compete then get those trail running shoes which are light but with grip. Personal opinion, I think everyone got their own choices. I got friends whom are comfortable enough to wear kampung adidas in the deepest of jungle and long hike.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.17    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:55 AM