Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Where to buy good and cheap hiking/walking boots? (Travel)

neorelated4
post Oct 5 2008, 07:42 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I live around KL area. anybody know where to get good and cheap hiking/walking boots? any brand recommendations? anyways I'm a girl and have small feet. Don't know whether that has anything to do with this topic.. but oh well..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kiawin
post Oct 6 2008, 09:30 PM

Casual

There's a shop in summit that sells hiking shoes/sandals/boots. Good things, most probably doesn't come with cheap price smile.gif I think the name is Nomad Adventure. I bought my teva sandals there.
+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 7 2008, 06:50 AM

Group: New Member

QUOTE(kiawin @ Oct 6 2008, 09:30 PM)
There's a shop in summit that sells hiking shoes/sandals/boots. Good things, most probably doesn't come with cheap price smile.gif I think the name is Nomad Adventure. I bought my teva sandals there.
Hi...hi...Nomad is no longer in Summit Gym. They have moved. Check their website for a number, call them for directions.

Neorelated4...can you share with us where you plan to use your hiking boots for? Depending on the usage and the place you are going, the boots makes all the difference. If you are expecting long walks, like goping backpacking, a pair of runners would be your best best. No need for boots.
If you plan to do trekking in Malaysian forest, you best bet would be jungle boots. Forget about those waterproof boots with goretex lining and such because they simply do NOT work in our climate. They are not designed for our climate and forest!

Unless you are going to Nepal or some cold climate countries, then you can consider paying more for proper boots. Mind you, they do NOT come cheap. Some can range from RM300 to RM900.

Let us know what you want to use the boots for and where. We would probably be able to give you a better recomendation. You can see the link below on a few suggestions for our Malaysian jungle.

Best regards,
KEONG

http://www.learning-adventures-malaysia.co...l-clothing.html
+Quote Post
syd04
post Oct 7 2008, 03:46 PM

Getting Started

Aiyah, you just missed the raya sales in Jusco, Mid Valley. They were clearing Hitec hiking boots, up to 50% discount. If you are not in a hurry then wait for the Deepavali sale. You can try Jusco, Mid Valley or the World of Sport in Bangsar Village. I bought mine there during one of their sales, 50% off RM399.
+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 8 2008, 06:13 AM

Hi...if I may, I suggest you consider keeping away from sales that gives 50% on any type of shoes. All type of shoes have a shelf life. This means they will actually expire. They are said to expire because their strength of the glue, the cushion would have weaken considerably. You can buy but do not expect it to last very long.

I am not suggesting you go and buy a 'new' pair at a new price. I am suggesting you find out what you want to use the boots for and then only decide what's best for you.

Coming back to 50% sales...consider this...do you think they will give you such big discounts for no reason?

KEONG
http://www.learning-adventures-malaysia.com/
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Oct 11 2008, 09:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

keong are you a passion hiker? I just bought a Salomon shoe but I think its more of a running shoe on rough terrain . I think for hiking on a dense jungle, its best to have a boots .
Now i began to see the difference of terrain and the shoe we must have .

I think if not a mountanous path, a boot is unnecessary such as the terrain in FRIM , Kepong.

So Keong , any recommendation for hiking in Selangor?
+Quote Post
syd04
post Oct 11 2008, 02:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Keong @ Oct 8 2008, 06:13 AM)
Hi...if I may, I suggest you consider keeping away from sales that gives 50% on any type of shoes. All type of shoes have a shelf life. This means they will actually expire. They are said to expire because their strength of the glue, the cushion would have weaken considerably. You can buy but do not expect it to last very long.

I am not suggesting you go and buy a 'new' pair at a new price. I am suggesting you find out what you want to use the boots for and then only decide what's best for you.

Coming back to 50% sales...consider this...do you think they will give you such big discounts for no reason?

KEONG
Maybe it's dumb luck for me then. I got mine back in 2006 and they are still good. Went backpacking everywhere with them. No problem, includes a 40-day trekking/backpacking trip to Nepal. nod.gif
+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 12 2008, 03:11 PM

QUOTE(syd04 @ Oct 11 2008, 02:14 PM)
Maybe it's dumb luck for me then. I got mine back in 2006 and they are still good. Went backpacking everywhere with them. No problem, includes a 40-day trekking/backpacking trip to Nepal.  nod.gif
Hi syd04...

I don't thinks its dumb luck for youhttp://www.learning-adventures-malaysia.com/. I think you may have bought the right pair for the right use.

My statement before is just from my personal experience (and a few more of my friend's).

KEONG

Added on October 12, 2008, 3:16 pm
QUOTE(hackwire @ Oct 11 2008, 09:56 AM)
keong are you a passion hiker? I just bought a Salomon shoe but I think its more of a running shoe on rough terrain . I think for hiking on a dense jungle, its best to have a boots .
Now i began to see the difference of terrain and the shoe we must have .

I think if not a mountanous path, a boot is unnecessary such as the terrain in FRIM , Kepong.

So Keong , any recommendation for hiking in Selangor?
Hi hackwire...

I still do a bit of walking in the Malaysian bush from time to time. Stamina very low these days.

I heard good things about Salomon shoes. I also heard (and seen) them come apart on some Malaysian jungle treks.
I agree with you that boots in easily accesible places like FRIM is unnecessary.

In Selangor, places like Pangsoon is popular.
I normally go in small groups. Our passion is not really in the walking itself (its tiring!!) but in appreciating the jungle, its beauty, learning from it and of course getting away from the madness of the city.

Best regards,
KEONG

This post has been edited by Keong: Oct 12 2008, 03:16 PM
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Oct 12 2008, 10:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I did made some research on hiking shoes lately and i found a few good shoes from Salomon , colombia or TEVa website which we are not able to get it here yet. Some were meant for rivers and rough terrain together which is suitable for our malaysia jungle.

The goretex shoes were meant for outdoor running and not suitable for trekking in a dense jungle but suitable for FRIM hiking.

I think if really want to be equip in long jungle walk, must have at least 2 shoes in the bag. One is dry with traction and protective material and another for wet such as the Duck Shoe or Agua Type material. Basically , one shoe cannot do both at the same time.

Sandal Shoes with holes are best use in the beach or waterfall rocks ;

that's my research. correct my mistake if there is any keong.thanks

+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 13 2008, 07:09 AM

QUOTE(hackwire @ Oct 12 2008, 10:18 PM)
I did made some research on hiking shoes lately and i found a few good shoes from Salomon , colombia or TEVa website which we are not able to get it here yet. Some were meant for rivers and rough terrain together which is suitable for our malaysia jungle.

The goretex shoes were meant for outdoor running and not suitable for trekking in a dense jungle but suitable for FRIM hiking.

I think if really want to be equip in long jungle walk, must have at least 2 shoes in the bag. One is dry with traction and protective material and another for wet such as the Duck Shoe or Agua Type material. Basically , one shoe cannot do both at the same time.

Sandal Shoes with holes are best use in the beach or waterfall rocks ;

that's my research. correct my mistake if there is any keong.thanks
Hi hackwire,

You did well researching for all those information. Well done.

I am sharing with you this information from personal experience. So, please bear in mind that ultimately its your choice.
I will never carry a water proof shoes with me into Malaysian hjungle. I find them totally useless. Yes, I will have two pair of shoes with me BUT it will be my jungle boots OR the adidas kampung and a slipper or sandal. The boots/ adidas kampung for my walking/ trekking. It doesn't matter if it gets into river cause that is what it is for. The sandal/ slipper I will use only around campsite. To cool the feet, let it dry and rest. Sandals may not give you enough ankle support, especially when moving fast or descending slopes.

I honestly (and personally) think that a lot of the famous shoe brands out there are not really suitable for our environment. They may claim that their products are waterproof, breathable, amphibious etc but I doubt if they really put it to test (in actual Malaysian jungle). Jungle boots are proven since the British army set-up the SAS in Malaya!

All in all, I think what your research found is true. Consider also that the websites you visited maybe trying to convince you that their products is suitable for what you are looking for. They are after all trying to sell.

Thanks & best regards,
KEONG

+Quote Post
Putraskyline
post Oct 13 2008, 07:47 AM

Non-Regular
Group Icon
Travel & Living
Group: Elite

QUOTE(Keong @ Oct 8 2008, 06:13 AM)

KEONG
Its because outdated season clearance and need space for new season design to take place?
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Oct 13 2008, 07:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Thanks keong. the advise is taken. it's a simple solution for tackling the malaysian jungle.
I think the americans product meant for comfortability and made for dry land mostly. One of the biggest challenge is to keep our feet dry at all times and also safety. The green fabric boots somehow does not provide a good ankle support but those heavy duty one like the SWAT one has better tension.

The addidas kampung shoe i never seen this b4 but can it protect the feet from a sharp object poking through?
+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 16 2008, 06:53 AM

QUOTE(hackwire @ Oct 13 2008, 07:41 PM)
Thanks keong. the advise is taken. it's a simple solution for tackling the malaysian jungle.
I think the americans product meant for comfortability and made for dry land mostly. One of the biggest challenge is to keep our feet dry at all times and also safety. The green fabric  boots somehow does not provide a good ankle support but those heavy duty one like the SWAT one has better tension.

The addidas kampung shoe i never seen this b4 but can it protect the feet from a sharp object poking through?
Hi Hackwire...

Agree with your statements above. Someday, if we have time, we should met up and you can have a look at my boots. Can't help but say its quite cool really, though not the most comfortable one can get.

Adidas kampung is cheap-as. Price range from RM5 to RM10, depending on where you get it. And no, it does not provide any good support that you'd expect from a pair of shoes. Its funny that with this (major) downside, it is still one of the most popular jungle shoes among the local. Probably because it is soft and almost 100% non water absorbent.

Oh...the SWAT shoes. I think you may be refering to the Hi-Tec magnum. Two things about this shoe. First, they are almost 80% fakes in Malaysia. Its almost impossible to get an original pair of this highly acclaimed boots in Malaysia. Secondly, I think many forces have changed their preferences to another brand. I think I will stay away from mentioning the brand. People will think I am trying to sell then tongue.gif

Cheers,
KEONG
http://www.learning-adventures-malaysia.com/index.html

+Quote Post
adriankhoo153
post Oct 28 2008, 09:39 PM

Kalachia can go green meh?

Anyone herd b4 Kampong Sg Penchala? I am going for a jungle walk this coming Sat. Can i use a jogging shoe i bought at Bata? Heard the place got a few slope and uphill area. I guess it will be very wet since it was raining everyday. So the road gonna be very becak. Need to buy those rubber shoe at hardware shop or not ah?
+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 29 2008, 08:46 AM

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Oct 28 2008, 09:39 PM)
Anyone herd b4 Kampong Sg Penchala? I am going for a jungle walk this coming Sat. Can i use a jogging shoe i bought at Bata? Heard the place got a few slope and uphill area. I guess it will be very wet since it was raining everyday. So the road gonna be very becak. Need to buy those rubber shoe at hardware shop or not ah?
Hi Adrian Khoo,

I have not been there. Jogging shoes, unless they are made for trail running may not give you the 'grip' you need when you want to navigate slopes especially. Flat land walk is fine.
Yes, those rubber shoes are your best bet. You cannot go wrong with them.

Cheers,
+Quote Post
adriankhoo153
post Oct 29 2008, 09:12 PM

Kalachia can go green meh?

QUOTE(Keong @ Oct 29 2008, 08:46 AM)
Hi Adrian Khoo,

I have not been there. Jogging shoes, unless they are made for trail running may not give you the 'grip' you need when you want to navigate slopes especially. Flat land walk is fine.
Yes, those rubber shoes are your best bet. You cannot go wrong with them.

Cheers,
Bro, any idea where can i get Adidas Kampung at Klang Valley?
+Quote Post
Keong
post Oct 30 2008, 10:21 AM

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Oct 29 2008, 09:12 PM)
Bro, any idea where can i get Adidas Kampung at Klang Valley?
Hi Adrian,

Adidas Kampung...most hardware shops in the outskirts of Klang valley would have them. Hardware shops that supplier goods to rubber tappers, agriculture industries in general.

There are a few shops in Chow Kit, near the Chow Kit MONORAIL also sells them.

Or the Pasar Malam near where I live. Opposite Piramid, near the BP station, every Wednesday nites.

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
ma43q
post Dec 23 2008, 04:17 PM

Regular

good hiking shoes, try Redwing Shoes. refer to www.redwingshoes.com to get the local dealer in KL. (if budget is not the concern)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
marchkingdom
post Dec 24 2008, 10:27 AM

am interested about the kampung adidas shoe, hehehe, heard ppl talking abt it many times ledi.

Can somebody post a pic how it looks like? icon_question.gif

Will start my training next month for Mt. KK, will get a cheap pair to experience it.

+Quote Post
Keong
post Dec 26 2008, 08:31 AM

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Dec 24 2008, 10:27 AM)
am interested about the kampung adidas shoe, hehehe, heard ppl talking abt it many times ledi.

Can somebody post a pic how it looks like? icon_question.gif

Will start my training next month for Mt. KK, will get a cheap pair to experience it.
Hi...see it at the link below smile.gif
Enjoy your trip!

Oh...but for Kinabalu, I think its better you stick to a pair of comfortable walking shoes. The terrain is not that difficult but loooong hours of walking.

http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.c...cal-jungle.html

+Quote Post
stimix
post Dec 26 2008, 10:43 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living
Group: Moderator

Wow very interesting adidas kampung...probably will get one to replace my expensive Crocs all-terrain shoe..Well served me well so far but premium pricing,,sumore damn slippery walking on wet tiles.. shakehead.gif

This post has been edited by stimix: Dec 26 2008, 10:45 AM
+Quote Post
Traveltwiddle
post Dec 26 2008, 11:40 AM

Getting Started

Yup, adidas kampong (AK) is a good bet for those with shallow pockets. Forget hi-tech expensive Teva, The North Face or Timberland ... these are designed by people who sit in the office whole day. The AK is standard wear for many Orang Asli living in jungle fringe but of course there are people who think they are too crude and doesn't offer enough protection.

First of all, I don't think many people has the opportunity to trek deep jungle. At least not around KL. At most, people walk along waterfall, secondary forest, FRIM, or national park trails which are scrubbed and sanatized by thousands every year. So, what is there to protect against? It's just a walk in the park. Any shoes will do. Even Mt Kinabalu is just an uphill trail that's fair and open.

Now, if you are winging jungle dense trails of Mt Korbu or Mt Yong Yap, that's a whole new story because then you have to worry about all-terrain footwear and climate proof gears. In hardcore trekking, of course AK is inadequate. You need something like the Malaysian Army trekking boots; Pertama Komplek has good selection. Although they are heavy and one need good stamina to trek in them, they offer the best protection against thorns, rutty path and to a certain extend snake bites.

That said, how comfy is the shoe wear would take the back seat when millions of leeches are ready to throw a party at your feet. So, leave some thought for a good pair of leech socks.

Don't go for Euro or US made body or footwear if the Malaysian rainforest is your playground. They don't understand the conditions here enough to design a proper wear. However, if you are thinking of The Alps, Annapurna or Matterhorn, then their snow and cold wear can save lives. Cheers.
+Quote Post
Keong
post Jan 1 2009, 12:08 PM

Can't agree more with traveltwidle!
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 1 2009, 12:26 PM

delusional
Group Icon
Group: Staff

Not to mention Army boots needs getting use to or it would cause you blister all around if not paired with good socks.
During the teen days, we used to candle wax the "air holes" to make it "waterproof"....
Think I still got mine stacked somewhere back in my hometown.
+Quote Post
Keong
post Jan 8 2009, 06:16 AM

QUOTE(b00n @ Jan 1 2009, 12:26 PM)
Not to mention Army boots needs getting use to or it would cause you blister all around if not paired with good socks.
During the teen days, we used to candle wax the "air holes" to make it "waterproof"....
Think I still got mine stacked somewhere back in my hometown.
Hmm...I thought the air holes are there are to allow wter and air to pass through the boots. Allowing ventilation to your feed. That will reduce the risk of trench foot.
In the Malaysian jungle, I think the only things worth keeping dry is your shelter, electronics and lighter smile.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 8 2009, 02:19 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(Keong @ Jan 8 2009, 06:16 AM)
Hmm...I thought the air holes are there are to allow wter and air to pass through the boots. Allowing ventilation to your feed. That will reduce the risk of trench foot.
In the Malaysian jungle, I think the only things worth keeping dry is your shelter, electronics and lighter smile.gif

Yeah I know.....we're naive back than. haha..... wink.gif

+Quote Post
vey99
post Jan 9 2009, 03:27 PM

Manyzer

want hiking shoe go Tesco. cheap and goodl.
+Quote Post
pilotHans
post Feb 17 2009, 11:14 AM

scuderia ferrari pit crew (" ,)

user posted image

i use adidas shoes......looks something like above...used to climb gunung takuban perahu, indonesia blush.gif
+Quote Post
Keong
post Feb 20 2009, 07:40 AM

Hi PilotHans...looks like a light, amphibious pair of shoe. Good choice, as long as its not goretex of waterproof!

http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/
+Quote Post
neoks
post Feb 22 2009, 12:49 AM

Hello, I'm going to tibet in July for backpacking about 2 months, but when I went to shops, they all recommanded all those hi ended boots which is very pricy. I wonder if I really need to buy that? What do you recommand.

thanks. ^^
+Quote Post
Keong
post Feb 22 2009, 06:09 AM

Hi neoks...

Wow...Tibet sounds awesome mate! I have not been there but I think the below guidelines can help you decide.

What is temperature like? If cold, maybe you need a pair with good insulation BUT not necessarily Goretex and like. You may wanna look at good socks rather.

Will you be doing a lot of trail trekking or on proper roads? If its only roads, you may not need those heavy and heavy duty boots. They are an overkill.

Prices of good shoes are very expensive in M'sia. If you have the opportunity, try visiting Singapore. The prices may be just the same but they may give you more choices and with more choices, comes better decision making.

By the way, whatever it is, you must get the shoes early, walk and season them. The sooner you 'break-in' these shoes, the less chance it will hurt your feet. Which ultimatelly means a more comfortable and enjoyable trip to Tibet smile.gif

Have a good trip!

This post has been edited by Keong: Feb 22 2009, 06:09 AM
+Quote Post
tenno
post Feb 22 2009, 07:59 AM

Livestrong

I bought my Hitec Vector WP (low cut) two years ago for RM150++ (after 50% discount). It has Vibram sole & waterproof upper. It got me thru my 6-month DPA course, during which we climbed 3-peak Gunung Bintang in Kedah, & thru 2 weeks of training at OBML. I still have those shoes, & I was really grateful that I had it during those trekking/climbing days. But I guess U can buy those branded shoes, as long as U know what U're looking for & dun just go by the recommendations of the salesperson. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Keong
post Feb 22 2009, 04:26 PM

Hi Tenno...agreed. I would say that you are lucky to have your hi-tec lasted you that long. I have a friend who's 'waterproof' hitec lasted only 3 weeks after using it a couple of days in heavy rains.
He swore never to buy hi-tec.
Then again, perhaps he is just too unlucky.

But I agree...don't just believe too much in what the sales person recommends.
Speaking of recommendations, I personally prefer Merrels. Again, its a personal choice smile.gif

+Quote Post
tenno
post Feb 22 2009, 06:11 PM

Livestrong

QUOTE(Keong @ Feb 22 2009, 04:26 PM)
Hi Tenno...agreed. I would say that you are lucky to have your hi-tec lasted you that long. I have a friend who's 'waterproof' hitec lasted only 3 weeks after using it a couple of days in heavy rains.

Speaking of recommendations, I personally prefer Merrels. Again, its a personal choice smile.gif

True that man. At least Merrels, North Face & Hitec are true hiking brands la. Timberlands are just way overpriced & I just can't imagine anybody wearing it for hiking, even though it markets itself as an outdoor brand.
+Quote Post
Reddy
post Mar 11 2009, 05:03 PM

Anyone need adidas kampung?? RM10 a pair... pm me for details
+Quote Post
Keong
post Mar 17 2009, 02:31 PM

Good to know that someone has taken up the initiative to sell Adidas Kampung on Lowyat. Good stuff Reddy

+Quote Post
frequency
post Apr 8 2009, 11:18 PM

我要挑战十个!

sad.gif any idea where can I find the Kampung Adidas in PJ area..?

Today heavy rain, so din go pasar malam near Sunway Pyramid or any good shoes to recommend (budget) For mount KK purpose?
+Quote Post
Heislyc
post May 5 2009, 11:38 AM

Kampung Adidas, I'm looking for 1 pair to be used by Thursday. Appreciate whoever could guide or help to get 1 pair for size 8/10/42. T_T
+Quote Post
Sausage
post May 7 2009, 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Heislyc @ May 5 2009, 11:38 AM)
Kampung Adidas, I'm looking for 1 pair to be used by Thursday. Appreciate whoever could guide or help to get 1 pair for size 8/10/42. T_T
Hi Heislyc,

Too bad my reply's too late. Anyone read this, I bought mine at the monorail station nearest to PWTC. Sorry forgot the name. It is some DIY shops near there, price RM5.90 or RM6.90
+Quote Post
xianwei
post May 9 2009, 06:39 AM

Getting Started

i had bad experience with hitec, spent rm270 on my last hitec boot, waterproof layer broken within 5 trip, sole becomeflat and unuseable witih half a year. The sole become so flat in 5th month and caused me slipped couple of times, now there is still scars on my right arm.

Choosed to pay extra for vibram sole after that, wprks awesome so far
+Quote Post
kentkk33
post Sep 23 2009, 02:49 PM

QUOTE(Keong @ Feb 22 2009, 04:26 PM)

May i know where can i buy hi-tec/merrells/ northface boots in KL?

Added on September 23, 2009, 2:50 pmhi, may i know where can i find hi-tec/ merrells/ northface boots/hiking shoes in KL?

This post has been edited by kentkk33: Sep 23 2009, 02:50 PM
+Quote Post
stimix
post Sep 28 2009, 01:02 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

Yeah I got almost similar adidas outdoor liao..but better thread compare to yours...Gonna use this for MTB & jungle trekiking..

user posted image
QUOTE(pilotHans @ Feb 17 2009, 11:14 AM)
user posted image

i use adidas shoes......looks something like above...used to climb gunung takuban perahu, indonesia  blush.gif
+Quote Post
zombieyap
post Oct 7 2009, 09:51 AM

Isetan doing sales for Hi-tec Shoe on this coming weekend RM110 per pair. Check it out. I think is for member only
+Quote Post
bombercycle
post Dec 27 2009, 12:14 AM

any one can advise me abt this three shoe ? just saw it in Jusco JB with 30-50% discount prices , wish to get 1 for my next year KK trip , but too bad no 1 able to tell me what is the model they are selling
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
+Quote Post
Keong
post Dec 27 2009, 09:24 PM

Personally...I will not recommend anyone to buy Hi-Tec shoes.
The models they produce these past few years are good looking but the quality is seriously un-desirable.

I have a friend who bought one pair a year back if not mistaken during sale and the sole came off just after two weeks of use.

I strongly suggest you consider Merrel. They are one of the most under rated shoes in Malaysia. Popular in the US.

Even Bear Grills from Man VS Wild (though I still think he is careless) wears Merrel on some of his episodes.

Merrel is available at Royal Sporting House and similar chain of stores.

p.s I am not affiliated in any way with the stores or with Merrel. However, I am a VERY happy user of Merrel products.
+Quote Post
bombercycle
post Dec 31 2009, 08:26 AM

nows aday are busy on seraching the hiking product that prepare for my next year KK trip, while seraching on the headlamp, decide to buy the LED Lenser that make from German cost me S$110, but that is over budget, since that i alway import a goods from china, i wish to try the OEM product

This is the headlight that i self import it from oversea, after test it ready very powerfull, myself have a Cateye torchlight and it totally can''''t fight with it
it just a single LED with 3 x AAA bateery
Picture show everything

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
+Quote Post
stimix
post Dec 31 2009, 09:18 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

That's probably P5 or or R2 LED coupled wth the focus lens for sure-lah..BTW, this thread is discussing on shoe..I think for LED lights, there is a dedicated one inside Hobiies..haha
+Quote Post
rozmiyunus
post Mar 23 2010, 11:21 PM

For trail running or walking....maybe consider Brooks Cascadia..can get it from me, retail price RM339....after discount RM240.00.. Brooks Cascadia

This post has been edited by rozmiyunus: Mar 23 2010, 11:22 PM
+Quote Post
electronicfly
post Mar 24 2010, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Trade Zone

If you're not an avid climber (like myself) and see yourself only climbing say every other month, Power has some quite ok shoes for the cheap. I got mine for RM60 and it lasted me for 6 climbs (KK, Nuang x2, Tabur x2, and one more place I can't remember the name. Broga not counted, that one wear slippers also can -.-") before the sole started to come out, and that was due to my foot getting stuck in some roots, nothing that cant be fixed by a bit of sewing.

I can't seem to find them any more though, but Bata has some others that are only RM70.

As for Adidas Kampung, if you frequent Old Klang Road there's a place that has them, and you can call to ask for your size.
http://electronicfly.blogspot.com/2008/11/...as-kampung.html

I do not recommend them though unless you're either pain-resistant or quite used to the track, as although it is practically waterproof and soft, it's TOO soft and won't offer any protection, plus you're bound to hurt your feet since it has no padding whatsoever

-------

Anyone would like to recommend something below RM150? Nuang's the hardest I've been to (and plan to go again, haven't reached the top yet cry.gif ) and I'll need something that doesn't require constant use to maintain (e.g. wear once then keep in cupboard for a month, repeat)

(Ok, out of topic but since someone above talked about headlamps, DON'T get the one from Ace Hardware if you plan to use it more than once. I got that for my KK climb and it drained my batteries kao kao. Used it only for the final ascent, and about 5 minutes again when my hostel I was staying in had no electricity for a while, then POOF batteries died. Get the Energizer on instead. RM60/80 for the headlamp + 4 AA batteries. My sis used it for who knows how long d and still shining bright without changing batteries)

-------

P/S: Cheapest and easiest to find way to leachproof yourself: PANTYHOSE. 100% works, but damn bloody hot one!

This post has been edited by electronicfly: Mar 24 2010, 05:46 PM
+Quote Post
alaskanbunny
post Mar 25 2010, 12:36 AM

Foodie

hi, i m buying land in indonesia for my factory... i have to visit the site often which is now a virgin jungle... do u know where i can buy the police boots? saw my colleague wearing it.. seems good
+Quote Post
frequency
post Mar 25 2010, 11:20 AM

我要挑战十个!

I am using the hiking shoes bought from Giant @ RM39
It serves me well for 5-6 times ...

The good thng it is cheap, the bad thng it is heavy if it becomes wet...
Still looking for kampung adidas as mine was worn out during KK hike.
+Quote Post
str@ng3r
post Apr 2 2010, 05:25 PM

the adidas kampung shoes has good grip but u have to get a good sole padding so that ur feet won't ache. Watson and other pharmacies sell quite good sole paddings, try getting the silicon type, though not cheap smile.gif.

i got the Admiral hiking boots from jusco and tried it at Gunung Angsi few weeks ago, it's the ankle-high boots, very good grip too, especially when going downhill, but a bit too heavy for a girl like me when going uphill la tongue.gif. My guy friend bought the same boots and wore it to Mt K last weekend, good grip on the rock slopes towards the peak...

finally, i decided to get a hiking shoes from New Balance, also have good grip, and most importantly they have cuttings for ladies biggrin.gif.

P/S: i will be keeping to my NB hiking shoes and want to sell my Adidas Kampung and Admiral hiking shoes. PM me if interested, but haven't had time to post a WTS thread yet, just came back from Mt K. Awesome!
+Quote Post
jovyarcher
post Apr 14 2010, 03:25 PM

I also consider brooks shoes for hiking and walking for they really last long for long travels, and its cheap too...

+Quote Post
dr_farnz
post Jun 26 2010, 03:32 PM

Getting Started

Hi guys...

I've been to World of Outdoor last few days in the Garden and try to find the boot that I need. Unfortunately the model that i'm looking for is not available there.. If any of you guys have seen or know where the shop is maybe u can just say it here so that i can go and look for it..

http://www.salomon.com/my/#/footwear/footw...gtx%C2%AE-ultra

cheers..
+Quote Post
vobs
post Aug 31 2010, 04:04 PM

QUOTE(electronicfly @ Mar 24 2010, 05:29 PM)
If you're not an avid climber (like myself) and see yourself only climbing say every other month, Power has some quite ok shoes for the cheap. I got mine for RM60 and it lasted me for 6 climbs (KK, Nuang x2, Tabur x2, and one more place I can't remember the name. Broga not counted, that one wear slippers also can -.-") before the sole started to come out, and that was due to my foot getting stuck in some roots, nothing that cant be fixed by a bit of sewing.

I can't seem to find them any more though, but Bata has some others that are only RM70.

Anyone would like to recommend something below RM150? Nuang's the hardest I've been to (and plan to go again, haven't reached the top yet  cry.gif ) and I'll need something that doesn't require constant use to maintain (e.g. wear once then keep in cupboard for a month, repeat)

(Ok, out of topic but since someone above talked about headlamps, DON'T get the one from Ace Hardware if you plan to use it more than once. I got that for my KK climb and it drained my batteries kao kao. Used it only for the final ascent, and about 5 minutes again when my hostel I was staying in had no electricity for a while, then POOF batteries died. Get the Energizer on instead. RM60/80 for the headlamp + 4 AA batteries. My sis used it for who knows how long d and still shining bright without changing batteries)

-------

P/S: Cheapest and easiest to find way to leachproof yourself: PANTYHOSE. 100% works, but damn bloody hot one!
I just bought a POWER branded hiking shoes, with discount voucher. Im not an avid climber with low cash to spare:) the first time i climb Mt KK was with a nike sneakers and it hold up just fine at the moment. I definitely will not use it again as it might not hold up the second time around.

I think most hiking shoes will hold up for a few times regardless what brand you buy cheap or expensive.....IF ure not a frequent climber like me and if budget is a concern, just go get any brand you can afford, and improvise it to become comfortable for you namely insoles and whatever......but if youre rich and your mind always wanted the best, by all means go for the most expensive as those technology will definitely help alot....in your mind that is:)

i look at the porters climbing mount kk with ease, with fake crocs, sandals and stuff, so you guys go figure lor.......if they can do it, then its all in your mind:) my 2 sen:) sorry if offended, no harm intended
+Quote Post
The Envoy
post Aug 31 2010, 06:05 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(neoks @ Feb 22 2009, 12:49 AM)
Hello, I'm going to tibet in July for backpacking about 2 months, but when I went to shops, they all recommanded all those hi ended boots which is very pricy. I wonder if I really need to buy that? What do you recommand.

thanks. ^^
Hmm, if that is so, better get a good pair of boots (good grip, waterproof, yes). Also don't forget altitude sickness medicine. And tie your backpack close to your body (it distributes the weight better). Be prepared for temperature extremes as it can fluctuate pretty crazily. Some of the stuff I learned while hiking the Inca trail in Peru 2 years back (similiar conditions to Tibet, but maybe perhaps a little lower in altitude)
+Quote Post
etigge
post Sep 1 2010, 01:08 AM

Getting Started

smile.gif I have climbed Nuang once and it was torturous as I was not fit. I managed to reach the top though. During the descend I noticed that the guide's shoes has no problem gripping mud (it was raining). Their soles were like football studs. I was wearing a Teva XPD watershoe with 'Spider Rubber' soles. They were nice when it was dry but when it gets muddy it was slippery. Watershoes means there are ventilated mesh at the base where water can flow out when stepped into pudddles but it also allows mud to flow in. When the mud flows out the sandpaper like sand remains inside and grinds your sole till it blisters. I was not wearing socks! I should have.

Anyway for those who are interested in the Tevas, there a few more pairs available in BB Plaza, 3rd floor. It is in one of those bundle shops. This is just old stock and not used ones. I got it for a bargain for RM100. You have to get the soles sewed to the shoes by a cobbler though as the adhesive is dry but other than that RM100 for a pair of new Teva is a bargain.
+Quote Post
HW-Racer
post Sep 1 2010, 09:43 PM

Enthusiast

i like Solomon shoes...but cost RM500+
+Quote Post
Kush
post Sep 18 2010, 12:45 AM

why is it that goretex lining/waterproof shoes arent suitable for our climate? if it is useless than i shall omit it from my list of requirements and shall go for weight n comfort.

+Quote Post
jam_lennon
post Sep 19 2010, 01:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!

hi there, i'm going to KK end of apr nex year
is this new balance 790 trail running shoe up to KK mount? i aredi bought it for 2y+

http://www.runningshoeswizard.com/new-balance-790.html
http://www.tricitynewbalance.com/mr790bk-m...rail-p-898.html
+Quote Post
stimix
post Sep 20 2010, 09:01 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

Running shoe is diff from hikingh shoe. The sole of running shoe having less grip & abit dangerous for mountain climbing & even inside forest.

Get those wth thick sharp of cross-v0-shape designed soles such as these:

user posted image
user posted image

+Quote Post
jimmyay
post Nov 14 2010, 11:12 PM

Getting Started

Visited corezone at SS2...those shoe are professionally priced? RM600 and above. Is it necessary for KK climb? Any recommendation?

Where to buy hiking shoe in Singapore?
+Quote Post
Keong
post Nov 15 2010, 10:14 PM

QUOTE(jimmyay @ Nov 14 2010, 11:12 PM)
Visited corezone at SS2...those shoe are professionally priced? RM600 and above. Is it necessary for KK climb? Any recommendation?

Good Lord...don't even bother. You don need those kind of hi tech shoes to climb KK. Its all gimmick to make you spend money.
KK is not really technical. I know people who did it in Adidas Kampung!

Then again, that doesn't mean everyone can do it that way. Wear a pair of shoes that you are comfortable with. The trail to KK is marked, clear and mostly steps. You need a sturday and comfy shoes but you don't need a RM600 pair of shoes.

Locally, you can try Merrell. Merrell are so under rated. They are really good shoes and value for money.

Good luck!

p.s I have nothing to do with Merrell...just a use who is extremely satisfied with them, especially not needing to pay RM600 for a pair of shoes!!
+Quote Post
jimmyay
post Nov 16 2010, 06:39 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Keong @ Nov 15 2010, 10:14 PM)
Good Lord...don't even bother. You don need those kind of hi tech shoes to climb KK. Its all gimmick to make you spend money.
KK is not really technical. I know people who did it in Adidas Kampung!

Then again, that doesn't mean everyone can do it that way. Wear a pair of shoes that you are comfortable with. The trail to KK is marked, clear and mostly steps. You need a sturday and comfy shoes but you don't need a RM600 pair of shoes.

Locally, you can try Merrell. Merrell are so under rated. They are really good shoes and value for money.
Good luck!
p.s I have nothing to do with Merrell...just a use who is extremely satisfied with them, especially not needing to pay RM600 for a pair of shoes!!
Went to check out Merrell, it design are normally 'slim'. Always saw it on Royal Sporting House warehouse sales.
I also went and check out Columbia, reasonable priced. What you think?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Nov 16 2010, 07:07 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Hi-tec is also underated IMO. It's value for money... I meant Hi-tec.
Merrell, hardly see any half-cut or full cut boot on M'sia.

Else, you can try Solomon also which is meant for trail running.
+Quote Post
audy
post Nov 17 2010, 08:42 AM

Getting Started

I have a pair of Timberland shoes...not sure if it is meant for hiking. I bought it for one of my winter trip, it was still slippery on a icy mountain. Am wondering if this kind of shoes is sufficient for Mt KK?
+Quote Post
HW-Racer
post Nov 17 2010, 05:11 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(audy @ Nov 17 2010, 08:42 AM)
I have a pair of Timberland shoes...not sure if it is meant for hiking.  I bought it for one of my winter trip, it was still slippery on a icy mountain.  Am wondering if this kind of shoes is sufficient for Mt KK?
my friend climbed Mt KK a few times...just wear a cheap nike shoes...(RM200 or below)...

anyway...tried Solomon shoes (available at world of sports)...very nice outdoor shoes
+Quote Post
jimmyay
post Nov 18 2010, 11:41 AM

Getting Started

Finally settle for a Columbia high cut with Goretex & Vibram. Thanks for the feedback, guys....
+Quote Post
Keong
post Nov 19 2010, 06:48 PM

Jimmyay...maybe you can do a review for us all with the boots.

My money is still with Merrell. They are no fuss shoes. Most of the models uses Vibram soles.

Hate to say this but Bear Grylls of Man VS Wild uses them (Merrell) on quite a few of his episodes.

+Quote Post
tongpoh
post Nov 20 2010, 10:04 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Keong @ Nov 19 2010, 06:48 PM)
Jimmyay...maybe you can do a review for us all with the boots.

My money is still with Merrell. They are no fuss shoes. Most of the models uses Vibram soles.

Hate to say this but Bear Grylls of Man VS Wild uses them (Merrell) on quite a few of his episodes.
Hi all, i am Hasher from Sarawak, jungle trekking you need grippppppppppp, http://www.inov-8.com/Find-Retailers.asp?C=48&L=26rld, world most grip off road shoes, how their perform? 6 off road world champion, 5 using Inov-8, now many Sarawak hasher wear inov-8.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Inov_8_Mudclaw_333_Trail_Running_Shoes__Grey___INO53____SportsShoes.com.htm ( 38.95k ) Number of downloads: 166
+Quote Post
Keong
post Nov 20 2010, 06:13 PM

QUOTE(tongpoh @ Nov 20 2010, 10:04 AM)
Hi all, i am Hasher from Sarawak, jungle trekking you need grippppppppppp, http://www.inov-8.com/Find-Retailers.asp?C=48&L=26rld, world most grip off road shoes, how their perform? 6 off road world champion, 5 using Inov-8, now many Sarawak hasher wear inov-8.
I agree with you tongpoh. Good grip is important for shoes for most outdoor use.

But sometimes we have to stop and ask ourselves why do we depend so much on these 'brands' (including Merrell).
Our ancestors and even to this day those people who work in rubber estates, or walk in the jungle hunting for animals go either in Adidas Kampung and some bare feet!

No, I am not suggesting that we go bare foot but just that often times (myself too actually) we get carried away with brands with the newest design and 'market claims'. We tend to overlook local knowledge.

If one is to traverse the glaciers of New Zealand, go ask a Kiwi what one should wear. Same goes... if we are to use it in our own backyard, maybe we should ask what the locals (Orang Asli included) use.

We can have the best shoes and gear but at the end of the day, it is still up to each person's capability whether he/ she is going to make it to the top.

In any case, just to let you know, I have used Inov-8 products before. But some time back they went quiet. Can't find them in KL anymore. Not sure if they are back here again though smile.gif
+Quote Post
tongpoh
post Nov 20 2010, 07:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Keong @ Nov 20 2010, 06:13 PM)
I agree with you tongpoh. Good grip is important for shoes for most outdoor use.

But sometimes we have to stop and ask ourselves why do we depend so much on these 'brands' (including Merrell).
Our ancestors and even to this day those people who work in rubber estates, or walk in the jungle hunting for animals go either in Adidas Kampung and some bare feet!

No, I am not suggesting that we go bare foot but just that often times (myself too actually) we get carried away with brands with the newest design and 'market claims'. We tend to overlook local knowledge.

If one is to traverse the glaciers of New Zealand, go ask a Kiwi what one should wear. Same goes... if we are to use it in our own backyard, maybe we should ask what the locals (Orang Asli included) use.

We can have the best shoes and gear but at the end of the day, it is still up to each person's capability whether he/ she is going to make it to the top.

In any case, just to let you know, I have used Inov-8 products before. But some time back they went quiet. Can't find them in KL anymore. Not sure if they are back here again though smile.gif
My first hash shoes is Asics trabuco 13, very good cushion= roll ankle, muddy terrian= no grip, second was Brook casiada 5, grip a bit better than Asics, 3 pair was New Balance MT100 bought from China, good for trail but no for our jungle, 4 pair was kampung adidas, better than Asics,NB,and Brook, 5th pair is barefoot, if not raining, i run barefoot, better than any shoes i have before but muddy terrains will slip so i keep braking when downhill, now i using Inov-8 X talon, good grip and flexible to step on tree roots because of it sticky rubber. So if you have money, go Inov-8, if you want to save money, go kampung adidas.
+Quote Post
Keong
post Nov 20 2010, 08:33 PM

Hi Tongpoh....wow...you have gone thru so many shoes. Good on you. Must be a seasoned runner/ trail blazer.
Will take your word for it.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Nov 20 2010, 09:45 PM

delusional
Group Icon

But where to get Inov-8 besides ordering through the net or overseas?
Doesn't seem to see one selling in KL.
+Quote Post
kizuna
post Nov 20 2010, 09:55 PM

QUOTE(stimix @ Sep 20 2010, 09:01 AM)
Running shoe is diff from hikingh shoe. The sole of running shoe having less grip & abit dangerous for mountain climbing & even inside forest.

Get those wth thick sharp of cross-v0-shape designed soles such as these:

user posted image
user posted image
Hi Stimix,

May I know what is the model for the north face shoe?
+Quote Post
HW-Racer
post Nov 20 2010, 10:20 PM

Enthusiast

currently world of sports (subang parade) got sales... saw some Columbia and Solomon shoes...up to 50% off..

the solomon hiking shoes normally above RM500 ...discounts around 20%....but is good shoes
+Quote Post
tongpoh
post Nov 24 2010, 11:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b00n @ Nov 20 2010, 09:45 PM)
But where to get Inov-8 besides ordering through the net or overseas?
Doesn't seem to see one selling in KL.
ya, nobody selling in KL, but you can contact Mr. Tang in Sarawak 0138015566, or you can find his contact at inov-8 malaysia dealer.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Nov 25 2010, 12:21 AM

Getting Started

smile.gif I think branded shoes have their merits but their best quality will be their aesthetics. Cheaper shoes also serves their purpose and maybe they won't last. That's is off course, my opinion. Shoe soles like car tyres also needs to fit to the terrain they are designed for. Who is the best in these department, our army. I don't think they use spider rubbers or vibrams etc.

Once I was hiking up a mountain and my Tevas cannot outperform the shoes worn by my two guides. They were wearing all black el-cheapos and they are ugly but they really grip. Off course, if you have the moolah then you can action a bit and also perform. I think most important is we need to break in the shoes and not buy now for tomorrow's trek. No matter how expensive the shoes are, new shoes will bite you hard when you are in the middle of nowhere. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Keong
post Nov 25 2010, 07:31 AM

QUOTE(etigge @ Nov 25 2010, 12:21 AM)
smile.gif  I think branded shoes have their merits but their best quality will be their aesthetics. Cheaper shoes also serves their purpose and maybe they won't last. That's is off course, my opinion. Shoe soles like car tyres also needs to fit to the terrain they are designed for. Who is the best in these department, our army. I don't think they use spider rubbers or vibrams etc.

Once I was hiking up a mountain and my Tevas cannot outperform the shoes worn by my two guides. They were wearing all black el-cheapos and they are ugly but they really grip. Off course, if you have the moolah then you can action a bit and also perform. I think most important is we need to break in the shoes and not buy now for tomorrow's trek. No matter how expensive the shoes are, new shoes will bite you hard when you are in the middle of nowhere. laugh.gif
Ah...spot on!!

rclxms.gif
+Quote Post
stimix
post Nov 25 2010, 07:40 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

U mean the guides using Adidas kampung ah..haha biggrin.gif

QUOTE(etigge @ Nov 25 2010, 12:21 AM)

Once I was hiking up a mountain and my Tevas cannot outperform the shoes worn by my two guides. They were wearing all black el-cheapos and they are ugly but they really grip. Off course,

Added on November 25, 2010, 7:41 amPictures from Google-lah.. blush.gif
QUOTE(kizuna @ Nov 20 2010, 09:55 PM)
Hi Stimix,

May I know what is the model for the north face shoe?
This post has been edited by stimix: Nov 25 2010, 07:41 AM
+Quote Post
Fei Kei
post Nov 25 2010, 09:15 AM

Casual

Go 2 petaling street. They have some imitation TIMBERLAND. Very good quality, real leather. expect to pay appx.150rm-180. depending on how expert is ur bargaining skill.
I've been using mine for years still tahan. comfy too.
+Quote Post
deqna
post Nov 25 2010, 06:00 PM

QUOTE(jimmyay @ Nov 14 2010, 11:12 PM)

for climbing kinabalu mount, you can just wear their local shoes called 'adidas kampung'. i've climbed 3 times using only this shoe. very cheap and comfy. price only rm5 per pair.. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
jimmyay
post Nov 26 2010, 10:21 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jimmyay @ Nov 18 2010, 11:41 AM)
Finally settle for a Columbia high cut with Goretex & Vibram. Thanks for the feedback, guys....
Hi Keong,
I am back to shopping again. I return the shoe to seller cos it's a imitation. I wonder is the World of Sport subang parade sales still on?

How much does Merrell cost? Where to get it?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Nov 27 2010, 04:44 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Merrell usually you can get it from Royal Sporting House.
I know KLCC and Midvalley got Royal Sporting House
+Quote Post
maywong88
post Nov 27 2010, 05:17 PM

Getting Started

It's better to buy from ebay or amazaon. UGG Australia the best one I think~ just a suggestion.
+Quote Post
jimmyay
post Nov 27 2010, 08:22 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(HW-Racer @ Nov 20 2010, 10:20 PM)
currently world of sports (subang parade) got sales... saw some Columbia and Solomon shoes...up to 50% off..

the solomon hiking shoes normally above RM500 ...discounts around 20%....but is good shoes
Thanks Racer for the info. Got myself a columbia with Omnitech & Omni grip..RM580 less 50%. The salomon mostly out of size already, too bad. There is lot of hi-tec too.

This post has been edited by jimmyay: Nov 27 2010, 08:23 PM
+Quote Post
sebastian lee
post Jan 8 2011, 09:45 PM

Getting Started

bought a pair of Admiral Hiking shoes for RM89.90. Used it on Bukit Tabur today...Good Grip on the rocky surface but less flexible. However, the insole is a pain. May be a pair of ultra thick socks will help.
+Quote Post
serene30
post Feb 22 2011, 10:04 AM

QUOTE(deqna @ Nov 25 2010, 06:00 PM)
for climbing kinabalu mount, you can just wear their local shoes called 'adidas kampung'. i've climbed 3 times using only this shoe. very cheap and comfy. price only rm5 per pair..  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
are you serious ? I too am looking for hiking shoes for KK, first time hiking, any suggestions ?
+Quote Post
N73
post Mar 1 2011, 01:06 AM

Getting Started

Any place got sales for these good shoes? I'm going to get a pair for my KK trip.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 1 2011, 11:58 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(serene30 @ Feb 22 2011, 10:04 AM)
are you serious ? I too am looking for hiking shoes for KK, first time hiking, any suggestions ?
Adidas kampung is not for everyone.
If you think you need a good padding insole then adidas kampung wouldn't give you that.
However we used to wear soccer socks coupled with Adidas kampung. But again, it's not for everyone.

QUOTE(N73 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:06 AM)
Any place got sales for these good shoes? I'm going to get a pair for my KK trip.
Try World of Sports.
+Quote Post
N73
post Mar 5 2011, 06:50 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b00n @ Mar 1 2011, 11:58 AM)
Adidas kampung is not for everyone.
If you think you need a good padding insole then adidas kampung wouldn't give you that.
However we used to wear soccer socks coupled with Adidas kampung. But again, it's not for everyone.
Try World of Sports.
Thanks Bro, i got mine in Isetan sales yesterday
+Quote Post
fmshadow
post Mar 8 2011, 09:42 AM

I just bought a pair of Nike ACG, the salesman told me is meant for outdoor/hiking. Any comments?? blush.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 9 2011, 09:49 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Nike ACG as the name specified is All Condition Gear. Pls show the photo for us to judge.
+Quote Post
jesh
post Mar 10 2011, 05:59 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b00n @ Mar 1 2011, 11:58 AM)
Try World of Sports.
Looking for HiTec VLite Thunder hiking shoe, dun know there got or not, need a pair to Mountain KK too ^^

This post has been edited by jesh: Mar 10 2011, 06:11 PM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 10 2011, 09:30 PM

delusional
Group Icon

World of sports sells Hitec. If my memory serves me right, there's a shop at the curve top floor (same floor as al-ikshan) selling Hitec also.
+Quote Post
N73
post Mar 11 2011, 01:01 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jesh @ Mar 10 2011, 05:59 PM)
Looking for HiTec VLite Thunder hiking shoe, dun know there got or not, need a pair to Mountain KK too ^^
Go Isetan get a pair, there can get 30% discount
+Quote Post
jesh
post Mar 11 2011, 01:10 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b00n @ Mar 10 2011, 09:30 PM)
World of sports sells Hitec. If my memory serves me right, there's a shop at the curve top floor (same floor as al-ikshan) selling Hitec also.
Thanks, i will look at the curve if got time on this weekend. Anyway will got subang parade first.

QUOTE(N73 @ Mar 11 2011, 01:01 AM)
Go Isetan get a pair, there can get 30% discount
Wow, thanks for your information
+Quote Post
qiyao_leong
post Mar 18 2011, 03:50 AM

check out amazon.com

hiking boots from TIMBERLAND, COLUMBIA, NORTH FACE and ect. starts from $40 US. If u have any relatives there who are coming back it's definitely a great bargain as they offer free shipping within US. Shippings back to Malaysia might cost a little more, but sum it all up it is still cheaper than the stores in Malaysia
+Quote Post
b00n
post May 5 2011, 11:52 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Hiking boot review for our jungle
got Kampung Adidas review (nice one):

This post has been edited by b00n: May 5 2011, 11:56 PM
+Quote Post
Keong
post May 9 2011, 09:28 PM

QUOTE(qiyao_leong @ Mar 18 2011, 03:50 AM)
check out amazon.com

hiking boots from TIMBERLAND, COLUMBIA, NORTH FACE and ect. starts from $40 US. If u have any relatives there who are coming back it's definitely a great bargain as they offer free shipping within US. Shippings back to Malaysia might cost a little more, but sum it all up it is still cheaper than the stores in Malaysia
Hi Leong!
I agree with you completely. Can be really cheaper to shop online.

But I was told by a friend that we also have to be careful coz some models of the shoes are actually made to suit the weather there. Meaning they use different kind of glue for the (cold and dry) temperature there. So, those shoes may not last that long here.

Am not sure how true this is.

Anyone?
+Quote Post
jimmyay
post May 10 2011, 02:14 PM

Getting Started

Just my opinion, Hi-tec are heavy and bulky. Saloman is fit. Columbia is in-between both this brand.

This post has been edited by jimmyay: May 10 2011, 02:14 PM
+Quote Post
Keong
post May 11 2011, 10:25 AM

QUOTE(jimmyay @ May 10 2011, 02:14 PM)
Just my opinion, Hi-tec are heavy and bulky. Saloman is fit. Columbia is in-between both this brand.
I kinda of agree with you jimmyay. Quite true come to think of it.

But personally, in terms of quality, I reckon Saloman stands out between the three.

My money is still on Merrel though cool2.gif
+Quote Post
blackwhitechipsKL
post May 14 2011, 11:39 PM

Getting Started

Isetan having sales on Timberland at the moment. Gardens one though...i dunno about the rest
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 10 2011, 04:31 PM

(✿◠‿◠) Queen of Love ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

where do u guys buy the leech socks? i see the video b00n posted, its like water proof also.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 10 2011, 07:41 PM

Getting Started

Do you really need a good hiking shoes, do you go very frequently? Think about it first. Durability comes with a price. Paying RM600 for a shoes that I will use maybe 3 times a year doesn't really make it worthwhile. Columbia makes comfortable shoes within an affordable price range. Jayajusco have their offers very often (making it almost like everyday offers, sometimes this branch, sometimes that branch) and they have a small selection of Columbias. They also have Hitec but I tend to agree that they are heavy.

MORE IMPORTANT THAN BRAND, I think buying them earlier and wear it often to break-in the shoes is a good step. You can buy a Merell or a Timberland but if you don't break in, they are going to sting your feet big time when you hike.

I got myself a Teva and it is lying on the rack on most the time. Too bulky for walks or jogging. laugh.gif I only wears it on rainy days as the grip is good even on slippery tiles. Consider carefully before buying. Buy for functionality rather than to show off.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 11 2011, 02:22 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 10 2011, 04:31 PM)
where do u guys buy the leech socks? i see the video b00n posted, its like water proof also.
Not waterproof lar....
Want waterproof, get a plastic bag and stuff your leg inside before wearing then wrap along your leg... seriously.

Anyway, I don't see the need for leech socks. Wear good long pants is enough.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 11 2011, 08:56 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b00n @ Jun 11 2011, 02:22 AM)
Not waterproof lar....
Want waterproof, get a plastic bag and stuff your leg inside before wearing then wrap along your leg... seriously.

A very good leech proof socks, I learned from kampong folks when I went mountain biking with them. Buy a pack of those cheap tabacco, the ones our aunties used to roll and smoke (hung yin, can get from chinese prayer shops). Soaked your socks and also the tabacco in water for a few hours, then hang up and dry. Wear them just like that. Guaranteed no leeches will approach your shoes, unless you are hiking in the area which have those striped leeches. These perch on leaves and jumps onto you. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 11 2011, 10:22 AM

QUOTE(b00n @ Jun 11 2011, 02:22 AM)
Not waterproof lar....

LOL this one no air to breath for the foot liao

manage to get a pair of kampung adidas from the sunway mentari pasar malam..but no stud! And no shoelaces. i doubt the bottom sole has good grip. And the shoe stinks of rubbery smell. yak...RM8. Jusco now got sale. Eepro shoe with good grips at the bottom for Rm58. Good to trash around in mud! the rest Hi-Tech all no size for me. ..and still cost alot after discount.

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 11 2011, 08:56 AM)
A very good leech proof socks, I learned from kampong folks when I went mountain biking with them. Buy a pack of those cheap tabacco, the ones our aunties used to roll and smoke (hung yin, can get from chinese prayer shops). Soaked your socks and also the tabacco in water for a few hours, then hang up and dry. Wear them just like that. Guaranteed no leeches will approach your shoes, unless you are hiking in the area which have those striped leeches. These perch on leaves and jumps onto you. laugh.gif
this one stinks wor.

those insect repellant spray shud work right? or sapu our feet with salt first.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 11 2011, 01:40 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 11 2011, 10:22 AM)
LOL this one no air to breath for the foot liao

manage to get a pair of kampung adidas from the sunway mentari pasar malam..but no stud! And no shoelaces. i doubt the bottom sole has good grip. And the shoe stinks of rubbery smell. yak...RM8. Jusco now got sale. Eepro shoe with good grips at the bottom for Rm58. Good to trash around in mud! the rest Hi-Tech all no size for me. ..and still cost alot after discount.
this one stinks wor.

those insect repellant spray shud work right? or sapu our feet with salt first.
You won't be able to smell it after drying. Aiyah! don't la take the socks and put it under your nostril and inhale. rclxub.gif These creatures have better sensing than us, we humans already forgot how to maximise our senses liao. What we can't see, they can (I mean animals not leeches), what we can't smell, they can and what we can't feel, they also can.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 11 2011, 05:53 PM

delusional
Group Icon

@happy, that is expensive ler...
There's one shop in Midah I came across that sells Kampung Adidas. Same row as those food stalls at the roadside, opposite Public Bank.

@etigge,
Actually no need that troublesome. Unless one wants to wear short pants. With trousers like I mentioned, pair it with a soccer jersey socks. Stuff the end of the trousers into the socks and voila....
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 11 2011, 07:41 PM

Midah I is where ar?

i got one eepro shoe today from jusco. 70% discount, RM56. see how this one fare. dont have heart to buy expensive shoes just to dip it into mud lol.

Also i saw Adidas has those shoes for water where the soles have holes into your feet to allow water to pass thru and quick dry! but no padding... lol. And some have quick grip for mud! All for RM200 to RM300 ++. shit sad.gif
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 11 2011, 11:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 11 2011, 07:41 PM)
Midah I is where ar?

i got one eepro shoe today from jusco. 70% discount, RM56. see how this one fare. dont have heart to buy expensive shoes just to dip it into mud lol.

Also i saw Adidas has those shoes for water where the soles have holes into your feet to allow water to pass thru and quick dry! but no padding... lol. And some have quick grip for mud! All for RM200 to RM300 ++. shit sad.gif
You know my Teva watershoe also have those mesh almost at the base of the shoe to allow water to flow out if you have to walk in streams or or wade across rivers. Nice feature but it also allow mud to flow in if you are thrashing through muddy terrain. Problem here was, when mud comes in, only water flow out leaving the sandy particles of the mud inside and whenyou walk they start grinding. rclxub.gif I made a mistake of taking off my socks too as I felt uncomfortable in wet socks. The bare skin start grinding like sandpaper againts the sole. During the hike up and down you don't really feel it but after taking off your shoes cry.gif blisters and wound starts to appear. I will never take off my socks again even if I stepped into sh*t. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 12 2011, 11:53 AM

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 11 2011, 11:51 PM)
You know my Teva watershoe also have those mesh almost at the base of the shoe to allow water to flow out if you have to walk in streams or or wade across rivers. Nice feature but it also allow mud to flow in if you are thrashing through muddy terrain. Problem here was, when mud comes in, only water flow out leaving the sandy particles of the mud inside and whenyou walk they start grinding. rclxub.gif  I made a mistake of taking off my socks too as I felt uncomfortable in wet socks. The bare skin start grinding like sandpaper againts the sole. During the hike up and down you don't really feel it but after taking off your shoes cry.gif  blisters and wound starts to appear. I will never take off my socks again even if I stepped into sh*t. icon_rolleyes.gif
shit...that hurts!

i guess those shoes r good for non muddy terrain. hahaha. and waste of money. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
eehtsitna
post Jun 13 2011, 10:31 AM

Getting Started

Guys! I am going for a mountain hiking trip in India this coming winter. Can someone recommend a pair of good shoes and where to get it?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. For those that is planning to climb Mt. Kinabalu, go grab a pair of Adidas Kampung. It is highly recommended and it never fail me even once. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 13 2011, 11:25 AM

QUOTE(eehtsitna @ Jun 13 2011, 10:31 AM)
Guys! I am going for a mountain hiking trip in India this coming winter. Can someone recommend a pair of good shoes and where to get it?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. For those that is planning to climb Mt. Kinabalu, go grab a pair of Adidas Kampung. It is highly recommended and it never fail me even once. tongue.gif
jusco, bata i see got alot of hiking shoes now.

adidas kampung with the flat soles without studs ok or not? cant find the one with studs sad.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 13 2011, 12:07 PM

delusional
Group Icon

If it's rocky terrain, it's not advisable to use Kampung Adidas. Because there's not much support especially on the ankle as well as not much padding.

However, that being said; it all depends on individuals.

With all the boots around, I would still say I prefer our local good ol army boots. Just don't know how to get a hand on it nowadays. I have one during my teens. The only discomfort I have with army boots is the lesser padding, as well as the tight support around the ankle (would "bite" you if you do not break the boot it to the max before the first hike).
+Quote Post
eehtsitna
post Jun 13 2011, 03:15 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 13 2011, 12:25 PM)
jusco, bata i see got alot of hiking shoes now.
Huh? Do you mean that a normal bata hiking shoes will do? I thought I will most likely need a pair of shoes which is insulated and not to mention waterproof.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 13 2011, 03:24 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Never tried winter trekking.
But IMO, you might want to get high cut boot for it and either buy crampon or spikes to be ready just in case needed.

Personal opinion - Not necessary need to get insulated. But waterproof is definitely needed. For insulation, you can wear winter socks. Wear 2 if not enough warm wink.gif

My experience in winter, I wore my timberland mid cut boot with wool socks. Personally I think it's bearable with -ve temperature.

This post has been edited by b00n: Jun 13 2011, 03:25 PM
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 13 2011, 03:36 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b00n @ Jun 13 2011, 12:07 PM)
With all the boots around, I would still say I prefer our local good ol army boots. Just don't know how to get a hand on it nowadays. I have one during my teens. The only discomfort I have with army boots is the lesser padding, as well as the tight support around the ankle (would "bite" you if you do not break the boot it to the max before the first hike).
Have you tried Pertama Complex or Chow Kit area? icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 13 2011, 04:37 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 13 2011, 03:36 PM)
Have you tried Pertama Complex or Chow Kit area?  icon_rolleyes.gif

Nop, maybe 1 fine day when I have the mood to go jungle trekking again I would go and look for it.
Thanks wink.gif

+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 14 2011, 03:40 PM

Just now saw in SS2 Professor shop, they got sell the green canvas army boots for jungle. But all for kids/teens la. bigger wan don have sad.gif
+Quote Post
eehtsitna
post Jun 14 2011, 03:55 PM

Getting Started

I am planning to get myself a used Merrel on ebay. Its going to cost around Rm200.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 14 2011, 04:08 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(eehtsitna @ Jun 14 2011, 03:55 PM)
I am planning to get myself a used Merrel on ebay. Its going to cost around Rm200.
I rather pay a little bit more and get a NEW Columbia. Good as it may be, second hand shoes already have a distinct abnormalities on the sole and also the upper parts when the previous owner wears it. The inclination of his body in regards to the wear and tear of the sole. some wear outs near the tip some wears out especially fast near the rear end. Some drag thier feet when walking and some tip toe. laugh.gif Some walk without even the heel touching the ground. All patterns of walking have different wear. Who knows the shoes might even belong to a dead man. shocking.gif
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 14 2011, 04:37 PM

some shoes got foot fungus too... hehehe
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 14 2011, 04:41 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 14 2011, 04:37 PM)
some shoes got foot fungus too... hehehe
You mean 'athlete's foot' or Hong kong feet. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 14 2011, 10:51 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(happy4ever @ Jun 14 2011, 03:40 PM)
Just now saw in SS2 Professor shop, they got sell the green canvas army boots for jungle. But all for kids/teens la. bigger wan don have sad.gif
Where is that?.... My feet quite small; so maybe can fit. I'm only a size 6 or 39... sweat.gif

And I do agree with etigge's comment.
I can never understand people buying clothing attire through the net. One reason being cannot try the comfort and fit. Unless of course one tried the actual items in some shops before purchasing through internet.
+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Jun 15 2011, 12:59 AM

QUOTE(b00n @ Jun 14 2011, 10:51 PM)
Where is that?.... My feet quite small; so maybe can fit. I'm only a size 6 or 39...  sweat.gif

And I do agree with etigge's comment.
I can never understand people buying clothing attire through the net. One reason being cannot try the comfort and fit. Unless of course one tried the actual items in some shops before purchasing through internet.
Professor shop, same row as Save Mart and Pelita. next to Salvation bookstore by the side road, in SS 2 PJ

Added on June 15, 2011, 1:00 amthey got 50% discount clearance sale. not many choices lol. i see its green canvas type shoe with hi-cut but its soft la..not much ankle support when its not hard. but those r jungle boots.

This post has been edited by happy4ever: Jun 15 2011, 01:00 AM
+Quote Post
eehtsitna
post Jun 15 2011, 08:53 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 14 2011, 05:08 PM)
I rather pay a little bit more and get a NEW Columbia. Good as it may be, second hand shoes already have a distinct abnormalities on the sole and also the upper parts when the previous owner wears it. The inclination of his body in regards to the wear and tear of the sole. some wear outs near the tip some wears out especially fast near the rear end. Some drag thier feet when walking and some tip toe. laugh.gif  Some walk without even the heel touching the ground. All patterns of walking have different wear. Who knows the shoes might even belong to a dead man. shocking.gif
Hmmm... you got your point there. Not to mention that the thought of wearing a pair of possessed boots really send chills up my spine. shocking.gif

So the best place to hunt for a pair of hiking shoes are Royal Sport House and World of Sports right?

This post has been edited by eehtsitna: Jun 15 2011, 08:55 AM
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 18 2011, 09:06 PM

Getting Started

Hey! I was browsing around Mid Valley today and guess what, I found a few Merrel new models selling for RM269.00, check it and the tag says Made In Vietnam but it's quite good with Vibram soles. A few older models (MAde In China) was selling for RM489 but with 50 percent discount. Very much cheaper than Columbia's. I saw them at Royal Sporting House and the other shop with lots of sports shoes near the cineplex. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Blunt
post Jul 4 2011, 12:18 AM

World Of Sports is having a sale. I just got my Salomon Xa pro GTX for Rm350. Much cheaper than most online sites in US even amazon. I uselly refrain myself from buying hiking shoes since they are so heavy and very hard to backpack with. So I usually buy offroad running shoes, much lighter and comfortable.

Anyway I find it hard to find good places to shop outdoor gear since most of the seller here hideously overpriced their products. Usually I shop fro my gears in China when my company sent me there for work.

This post has been edited by Blunt: Jul 4 2011, 12:20 AM
+Quote Post
eliseng
post Jul 4 2011, 03:15 PM

Hi Blunt, which outlet of World of Sports you are referring to?
+Quote Post
Blunt
post Jul 4 2011, 06:00 PM

I've been to 2 that have the same product, Tropicana city mall and at midvalley. I imagine at midvalley it'll sold out rather quickly.
+Quote Post
pilotHans
post Dec 29 2011, 01:53 PM

QUOTE(pilotHans @ Feb 17 2009, 11:14 AM)
user posted image

i use adidas shoes......looks something like above...used to climb gunung takuban perahu, indonesia  blush.gif

actually bought the above shoes yesterday at curve blush.gif RM144...

QUOTE(stimix @ Sep 28 2009, 01:02 PM)
Yeah I got almost similar adidas outdoor liao..but better thread compare to yours...Gonna use this for MTB & jungle trekiking..

user posted image

woah, ive exactly these shoes but instead of yellow its grey thumbup.gif i was refering to this shoe when i uploaded the above pic..

so now ive two outdoor shoes icon_idea.gif
+Quote Post
PangurBan
post Dec 30 2011, 08:58 AM

Casual

Vibram Five Fingers are a viable choice of shoes for trekking. They give your soles a good feel of the terrain underneath, allowing you to adjust your posture, position of your feet, toes etc etc. You're less likely to lose your balance, slip and fall, twist an ankle etc etc. Not exactly cheap though.

This post has been edited by PangurBan: Dec 30 2011, 08:58 AM
+Quote Post
pilotHans
post Dec 30 2011, 05:38 PM

QUOTE(PangurBan @ Dec 30 2011, 08:58 AM)
Vibram Five Fingers are a viable choice of shoes for trekking.  They give your soles a good feel of the terrain underneath, allowing you to adjust your posture, position of your feet, toes etc etc.  You're less likely to lose your balance, slip and fall, twist an ankle etc etc.  Not exactly cheap though.

ur starting to sound like a seller here tongue.gif not cheap would be RM600? sweat.gif
+Quote Post
PangurBan
post Dec 30 2011, 07:47 PM

Casual

QUOTE(pilotHans @ Dec 30 2011, 05:38 PM)
ur starting to sound like a seller here  tongue.gif not cheap would be RM600?  sweat.gif
I wished I was as enterprising as that. I asked at some shop in Bangsar a few months ago, and they wanted RM476 for one model. In the end, I got a friend to get it for me from San Francisco and I paid her back about RM380, inclusive of the 8.5% sales tax. These things are much cheaper in the US and Canada.
+Quote Post
pilotHans
post Jan 2 2012, 07:29 PM

QUOTE(PangurBan @ Dec 30 2011, 07:47 PM)
I wished I was as enterprising as that.  I asked at some shop in Bangsar a few months ago, and they wanted RM476 for one model.  In the end, I got a friend to get it for me from San Francisco and I paid her back about RM380, inclusive of the 8.5% sales tax.  These things are much cheaper in the US and Canada.

as long as u fully utilize it.........i went to tropicana yes i saw solomon shoes selling rm558 or something...............too expensive by my books sweat.gif
to me, a shoe must be below 200 after discounts then only worth to buy smile.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 2 2012, 11:29 PM

delusional
Group Icon

There's one topic talking about Vibram here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1396832

Added on January 2, 2012, 11:32 pm
QUOTE(PangurBan @ Dec 30 2011, 08:58 AM)
Vibram Five Fingers are a viable choice of shoes for trekking.  They give your soles a good feel of the terrain underneath, allowing you to adjust your posture, position of your feet, toes etc etc.  You're less likely to lose your balance, slip and fall, twist an ankle etc etc.  Not exactly cheap though.
Anyway, there's pros and cons for wearing such shoes. Same like adidas kampung, or the adidas outdoor posted above this types of shoes got less padding as well as less ankle support. Thus if one doesn't watch where they are stepping, one would be more prone to ankle sprain.

This post has been edited by b00n: Jan 2 2012, 11:32 PM
+Quote Post
ruben7389
post Feb 11 2012, 10:00 PM

On my way

go to Berjaya Times Square - there is a shop by the name of OC

Great hiking shoes for 180 to 220

check it out

Added on February 11, 2012, 10:01 pmgo to Berjaya Times Square - there is a shop by the name of OC

Great hiking shoes for 180 to 220

check it out

This post has been edited by ruben7389: Feb 11 2012, 10:01 PM
+Quote Post
kuados
post Mar 8 2012, 12:32 AM

Getting Started

Which one of these shoes is worth getting? I'm planning to get a good hiking shoe for mount kk for the first part hike up then addidas kampung to summit.I cant decide between these two.The only reason i choose this two is because it fits my budget and only two that can be ship to Malaysia..

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswear-...31119931&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswear-...0963378&sr=1-19

+Quote Post
etigge
post Mar 8 2012, 01:44 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kuados @ Mar 8 2012, 12:32 AM)
Which one of these shoes is worth getting? I'm planning to get a good hiking shoe for mount kk for the first part hike up then addidas kampung to summit.I cant decide between these two.The only reason i choose this two is because it fits my budget and only two that can be ship to Malaysia..

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswear-...31119931&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswear-...0963378&sr=1-19
You just missed the warehouse sale by Royal Sporting House for the Merrells which was on a 50% discount. I think the mid valley branch still has some stocks for one or two models which is selling for around RM150. You should also browse the outdoor section of Direct Sports in Subang which carries Karrimors, Hitecs, Campris and many others. It is also on discount. No need to mail order. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
4Rings
post Mar 8 2012, 08:39 AM

Lord of the Rings

I bought a pair of Columbia in Nov 2010 for RM300+ after 30% discount.
I have been using them regularly 2X a week at Saga, Cuepacs and Bt Indah trails. I have used them at G Nuang up to Pacat only, once This shoe is quite hardy and durable. The only down sides are the sole wears out pretty fast within a year and the grip is not that good when descending down wet slopes.

I have a pair of Jeep hiking shoes which I bought at J Jusco for RM150 after 50% discount. I use this 2-3X a week (I hike 5 times a week). I have been using this pair for almost 9 months. The grip is better than Columbia. I have never slipped and fell while in this shoes. But they are not as durable as Columbia. They look pretty worn out now.

I am looking for another pair now. I want a sole that can last but not so expensive. Any recommendation?

This post has been edited by 4Rings: Mar 8 2012, 08:40 AM
+Quote Post
mat sputnik
post Mar 8 2012, 10:26 AM

Camel Actives outdoor shoes are quite comfy and affordable too.
+Quote Post
sniper69
post Mar 8 2012, 03:05 PM

.: Multiple Shots One Hit :. .+|Level 9 Type Shit|+.

usually i bring 2 pairs of foot wear, a Teva sandal and el-cheaporazi MYR4.90 Bowling shoe or known as Adidas Kampung.

This post has been edited by sniper69: Mar 8 2012, 03:06 PM
+Quote Post
etigge
post Mar 9 2012, 07:34 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(4Rings @ Mar 8 2012, 08:39 AM)
I bought a pair of Columbia in Nov 2010 for RM300+ after 30% discount.
I have been using them regularly 2X a week at Saga, Cuepacs and Bt Indah trails. I have used them at G Nuang up to Pacat only, once This shoe is quite hardy and durable. The only down sides are the sole wears out pretty fast within a year and the grip is not that good when descending down wet slopes.

I have a pair of Jeep hiking shoes which I bought at J Jusco for RM150 after 50% discount. I use this 2-3X a week (I hike 5 times a week). I have been using this pair for almost 9 months. The grip is better than Columbia. I have never slipped and fell while in this shoes. But they are not as durable as Columbia. They look pretty worn out now.

I am looking for another pair now. I want a sole that can last but not so expensive. Any recommendation?
I have bought a Merrell but sold it out through Mudah after 2 hikes. Doesn't grip. Then I shifted to Hitec mid cut. The grip was better but soles are too soft for my weight and it flexes too much making the part below the toes painful because of stones nudging the soles. Although there were many complaints of Hitec soles separating from the shoes, World of Outdoor is willing to guarantee me for a year and replace it if it does. The shoes are good and comfy except for the soles. I saw a newer range of Hitecs with stiffer and harder soles and I bought a pair and tried it out. They are better and I have found a pair suitable for my use. I practically don't think of my feet now when I hike like I did last time because of the pain.

I think everyones' need is different but the sad thing is, we have to try to know what the needs are. Sports Direct stocks them too and they also sells Karrimors and Campris. The higher ends are really nice!

PS/ My wife wears Columbia lites and she has no complains till now.

This post has been edited by etigge: Mar 9 2012, 07:35 AM
+Quote Post
4Rings
post Mar 14 2012, 08:51 AM

Lord of the Rings

QUOTE(etigge @ Mar 9 2012, 07:34 AM)
I have bought a Merrell but sold it out through Mudah after 2 hikes. Doesn't grip. Then I shifted to Hitec mid cut. The grip was better but soles are too soft for my weight and it flexes too much making the part below the toes painful because of stones nudging the soles. Although there were many complaints of Hitec soles separating from the shoes,  World of Outdoor is willing to guarantee me for a year and replace it if it does. The shoes are good and comfy except for the soles. I saw a newer range of Hitecs with stiffer and harder soles and I bought a pair and tried it out. They are better and I have found a pair suitable for my use. I practically don't think of my feet now when I hike like I did last time because of the pain.

I think everyones' need is different but the sad thing is, we have to try to know what the needs are. Sports Direct  stocks them too and they also sells Karrimors and Campris. The higher ends are really nice!

PS/ My wife wears Columbia lites and she has no complains till now.
I have friends complained about Hitecs too. I would probably try out Brooks. Jusco used to give 50% for trail shoes but now at only 30% during their sales.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 15 2012, 05:15 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Anyway I will never advocate buying clothing apparels including shoes via internet because we don't really know the actual fit.

Unless it's the same brand and model that one use to wear. Else sometimes even the same brand but different model, also the fitting might be off.
+Quote Post
hackwire
post May 1 2012, 12:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!

my Solomon shoe last for 3 years and im quite satisfy with comfortability. very nice shoe after u wear for some time.
+Quote Post
spiderwick
post May 1 2012, 11:07 AM

Getting Started

hey guys,

i wanted to buy a trail shoes for my mum for holiday purpose. coz sometimes may need to hike a bit to those tourist area.
which brand will u recommend. last month, i brought her to china and when she was in the cave, she got a slip. worried me to death.

thank you guys for ur recommendation.

best if the shoes not too heavy too, so that nice to walk around.
+Quote Post
hackwire
post May 4 2012, 04:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!

merrel , salomon, north face.

+Quote Post
etigge
post May 4 2012, 08:48 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 4 2012, 04:03 AM)
merrel , salomon, north face.
Hitec, Keen, Asolo, New Balance, Campri, Karrimor, Lafuma and many more unheard of here in Malaysia. The biggest farce is Timberland which does not really justify the price they cost.
+Quote Post
hackwire
post May 4 2012, 08:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!

i think Timberland and Camel more for OFF Road and timber truckers.

Added on May 4, 2012, 8:54 amdo u think Vibram Five is a version of Adidas Kampong?

This post has been edited by hackwire: May 4 2012, 08:54 AM
+Quote Post
Super Hero
post May 10 2012, 03:48 PM

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 4 2012, 08:53 AM)
i think Timberland and Camel more for OFF Road and timber truckers.

Added on May 4, 2012, 8:54 amdo u think Vibram Five is a version of Adidas Kampong?
Hi all expert,
Next month 8 jun I'm will goto climb KK, I'm aleeady shopping around almost a month still don't know which hiking shoe is good for mt KK and in reasonable price. Please HELP
+Quote Post
l3iTi
post May 10 2012, 04:25 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Super Hero @ May 10 2012, 03:48 PM)
Hi all expert,
Next month 8 jun I'm will goto climb KK, I'm aleeady shopping around almost a month still don't know which hiking shoe is good for mt KK and in reasonable price. Please HELP
i'm going there too but on 13 Jun
u need to get ur shoe fast, else u got no time to get use to ur new shoe.
As for me, i'm just using my old jogging shoe.
read from others, Adidas Kampung would be good option....but i dun know where to get it in JB

+Quote Post
Super Hero
post May 10 2012, 04:48 PM

QUOTE(l3iTi @ May 10 2012, 04:25 PM)
i'm going there too but on 13 Jun
u need to get ur shoe fast, else u got no time to get use to ur new shoe.
As for me, i'm just using my old jogging shoe.
read from others, Adidas Kampung would be good option....but i dun know where to get it in JB
Hi, how many days for the package and how much ? Me is 4d3n in Rm1100.00 and start from mesilau back to timpohon gate ( 2 certificates), I got my marathon shoe, but not for hiking, I need to buy but don't know what want is good.
+Quote Post
hackwire
post May 10 2012, 06:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Hi all expert,
http://www.squidoo.com/BearGryllsClothing

i guess Merrell shoes is good ,preferably get 2 pair. anything Bear Grylls wear might be the best for now. boots a bit heavy and also could injure the ankle due to limited movement.

This post has been edited by hackwire: May 10 2012, 06:13 PM
+Quote Post
js00
post May 11 2012, 01:32 PM

Hi to all the outdoor experts out there,
I'm going to Tibet on Jun. Please do share with me your experience and advise on type of shoes & gears (i.e. clothing, etc.). Is a windbreaker jacket required?
+Quote Post
etigge
post May 12 2012, 02:48 AM

Getting Started

Hi all expert,
Mount Kinabalu trails can be done with normal track shoes. It is so well laid out, no worries! But if you really want to buy something maybe for other hikes, then you should shop around. Everyone has different needs and different sizes and shapes. You have to really put your feet in to feel if it is comfy or not. Stick with known brands like Columbia, Hitec, Merrel and off course Salomon although Salomon specializes more on trail running.

Added on May 12, 2012, 2:50 am
QUOTE(js00 @ May 11 2012, 01:32 PM)
Hi to all the outdoor experts out there,
I'm going to Tibet on Jun.  Please do share with me your experience and advise on type of shoes & gears (i.e. clothing, etc.).  Is a windbreaker jacket required?
If you are looking for shoes, you better get on it fast as shoes needs breaking in to really get comfortable. Buy a pair now and wear it as often as possible and also wet it and dry it for a few times. It really sucks if youa re going on a trip and the shoes are biting you.

Added on May 12, 2012, 2:54 am
QUOTE(hackwire @ May 10 2012, 06:10 PM)
http://www.squidoo.com/BearGryllsClothing

i guess Merrell shoes is good ,preferably get 2 pair. anything Bear Grylls wear might be the best for now. boots a bit heavy and also could injure the ankle due to limited movement.
On the contrary, boots actually protects the ankle better from twisting. Just like ankle height shoes.

This post has been edited by etigge: May 12 2012, 02:54 AM
+Quote Post
spiderwick
post May 13 2012, 09:10 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(etigge @ May 4 2012, 08:48 AM)
Hitec, Keen, Asolo, New Balance, Campri, Karrimor, Lafuma and many more unheard of here in Malaysia. The biggest farce is Timberland which does not really justify the price they cost.
Thx hackwire n etigge! Kind of liking NB, will bring my mum n have a look. But not many choices in jb
+Quote Post
KenYoung
post May 19 2012, 05:18 PM

Getting Started

i wonder what would be a good shoes for trekking+ river trekking +trail running... need something water resistant/proof right?
+Quote Post
honkkydorry
post May 20 2012, 09:37 PM

Is it comfortable to hike with high ankle shoes? I wore kampung adidas when I climbed Mt. K but I realised that I tend to roll my ankles a lot. I now know that I have quite weak ankles.

I am planning to go G. Nuang, Bukit Tabur soon and I don't think I should wear my kampung adidas. Besides, I also just recovered from ankle injury. I have a bit of fear for heights especially when descending so I really need good grip shoes. Should I go for high ankles shoes as well?

I was leaning towards Columbia but someone here commented that it doesn't grip well. Any recommendation?
+Quote Post
etigge
post May 20 2012, 11:51 PM

Getting Started

There are many brands and sometimes a particular brand has some good and some bad. Don't give up on Columbia just because your friend says so. There are some good models and the models change frequently. Just like myself, everybody says Merrell and I got myself a pair. Then I found out that the grip was poor and reputation for Hitecs was also not very favourable. But because there was a 50% discount I went ahead anyway. Find that they are good but tracks are too soft but the newer models came out with harder tracks and I am still wearing for my hikes. Last word is, it's a personal choice and also whether the cuttings are suitable for your legs. Go with reputable brands like Columbia, Hitec, Salomon, Keen, Merrell, Teva and you won't go wrong.

Easier still, give Sports Direct a visit. There are many choices there. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
littlejimmy
post Jun 16 2012, 04:31 PM

Getting Started

Any sifu here can recommend me a good hiking shoes ? I'm joining the Mount berembung climbathon 28km end of month. and I was thinking to use my kasut getah (kampung addidas) only... however my friend suggesting me to get salomon.... and salomon kinda expensive, if were to get from uk.. it cheaper but sizing are problem and also not sure if got msia tax.

1st time joining climbathon, any advice are welcomed smile.gif
+Quote Post
beefree
post Jun 16 2012, 09:18 PM

I bought my shoes on-line and I must admit that I'm more than satisfied:-)
http://www.achat-rando.com/index.php?p=527&c=31
I do realise that it's hard sometimes to get a good size and feel good inside without trying but it happens :-)

Web site is in french- it doesn't make life easier wink.gif but they answer all questions by mail in english

PS high ancke shoes are confortable but at the beginning it's abit strange - after few hours you get use to it and it's ok :-)

This post has been edited by beefree: Jun 16 2012, 09:23 PM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 17 2012, 12:14 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(littlejimmy @ Jun 16 2012, 04:31 PM)
Any sifu here can recommend me a good hiking shoes ?  I'm joining the Mount berembung climbathon 28km end of month. and I was thinking to use my kasut getah (kampung addidas) only... however my friend suggesting me to get salomon.... and salomon kinda expensive, if were to get from uk.. it cheaper but sizing are problem and also not sure if got msia tax.

1st time joining climbathon, any advice are welcomed smile.gif
If you want tom compete then get those trail running shoes which are light but with grip. Personal opinion, I think everyone got their own choices. I got friends whom are comfortable enough to wear kampung adidas in the deepest of jungle and long hike.
+Quote Post
littlejimmy
post Jun 17 2012, 12:55 PM

Getting Started

beefree-> yeah, it is difficult to get the proper size. I just ordered my salomon guidance online. hopefully everything is correct.took me few days to do research about the shoes and my type of foot. (although a bit expensive for me, but i think it may worth the price, hopefully)

b00n-> yeah, actually I always uses kampung addidas when go hiking. But some uncle condemn me la... and also my friends advice. But it still true that Kampung addidas are soft and I could feel the rocks on my foot. No problems with deep jungle as the trail tend to me muddy and soft and small.
Anyway, I think I just worried about descending down the mountain, afraid of knee injuries due to improper shoes.

Thanks for the opinions and advices. Appreciate it.
+Quote Post
Myvicious666
post Aug 5 2012, 11:05 PM

Hi all,

I am actually selling Adidas Kampung.. Goco brand.. Have stock for with lace and without lace... And can order for without studs too.. Do PM me if interested...
+Quote Post
gn02761859
post Nov 30 2012, 09:56 PM

Getting Started

I have just went for world of sport warehouse sale in Pearl point and I tried the Salomon, is very comfortable... I did try Hi-tec also but the feel is different, the Hi-tec feel too hard inside.

I going to M.KK next year too.. still wondering which shoe I should buy... I do have a kampung adidas but i only use it for hiking while after raining or when i know the road make my shoe wet..

I need another hiking shoe for backpacking & hiking to someplace like tabur...

+Quote Post
padi
post Feb 1 2013, 01:24 AM

Hi guys and sifus,

I'll be going to Royal Belum for fishing expedition dis CNY rclxm9.gif .. 4D3N.. Actually this is my 2nd time here.. I just want to ask what is the suitable/recommended trekking shoes.. Our destination is about 5-7 hours trekking.. I oledi bought the green canvas/cloth jungle boot but somehow i'm not really confident to wear those boot due to it lacks of cushioning.

Previously i wore just a puma futsal shoes where i always slipped and almost injured myself. I've gone and checked on several shoes such Camel active and Adidas which range around RM250.. But is it durable enough since Royal Belum forest is very thick??

Need advise from u guys.. Thanks in advance!!
+Quote Post
stimix
post Feb 1 2013, 07:04 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

QUOTE(padi @ Feb 1 2013, 01:24 AM)
Hi guys and sifus,

I'll be going to Royal Belum for fishing expedition dis CNY  rclxm9.gif .. 4D3N.. Actually this is my 2nd time here.. I just want to ask what is the suitable/recommended trekking shoes.. Our destination is about 5-7 hours trekking.. I oledi bought the green canvas/cloth jungle boot but somehow i'm not really confident to wear those boot due to it lacks of cushioning.

Previously i wore just a puma futsal shoes where i always slipped and almost injured myself. I've gone and checked on several shoes such Camel active and Adidas which range around RM250.. But is it durable enough since Royal Belum forest is very thick??

Need advise from u guys.. Thanks in advance!!
Your thread has been merged here. Do read earlier recommendations from this thread
+Quote Post
Calvin Seak
post Feb 1 2013, 09:54 AM

Na Eun My My (마이 마이)

For hiking shoes I'm really loving my shoe

user posted image

Sorry if the image is to big.. its from FB >.<

Its an Adidas Fast X GoreTex Mid cut shoe

Traction is good, waterproof, breathable, fast lace for lazy people like me.. smile.gif
+Quote Post
bonez06
post Feb 19 2013, 08:13 PM

QUOTE(Calvin Seak @ Feb 1 2013, 09:54 AM)
For hiking shoes I'm really loving my shoe

user posted image

Sorry if the image is to big.. its from FB >.<

Its an Adidas Fast X GoreTex Mid cut shoe

Traction is good, waterproof, breathable, fast lace for lazy people like me.. smile.gif
where did you get those? and how's the price? cool2.gif
+Quote Post
Calvin Seak
post Feb 20 2013, 01:41 AM

Na Eun My My (마이 마이)

Uhmm got it from the States.. about less than RM300 close to RM280 I think.. about 60% discounted!

I don't think Adidas sells it here in Malaysia which sucks alot!

user posted image

Chilling by the stream lol

This post has been edited by Calvin Seak: Feb 20 2013, 01:43 AM
+Quote Post
bonez06
post Feb 20 2013, 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Calvin Seak @ Feb 20 2013, 01:41 AM)
Uhmm got it from the States.. about less than RM300 close to RM280 I think.. about 60% discounted!

I don't think Adidas sells it here in Malaysia which sucks alot!

user posted image

Chilling by the stream lol
Msia takde.. damn.. shakehead.gif nvm.. find other brands.. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Calvin Seak
post Feb 20 2013, 12:16 PM

Na Eun My My (마이 마이)

QUOTE(bonez06 @ Feb 20 2013, 11:49 AM)
Msia takde.. damn.. shakehead.gif  nvm.. find other brands.. tongue.gif
Can get from places like Amazon etc... Msia damn expensive la 1 thing I hate most sad.gif

+Quote Post
bonez06
post Feb 20 2013, 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Calvin Seak @ Feb 20 2013, 12:16 PM)
Can get from places like Amazon etc... Msia damn expensive la 1 thing I hate most sad.gif
Yala..thats the thing! damn expensive i think..
Can buy from Amazon but need to test size 1st.. susah.. and risky if wrong size then doh.gif
+Quote Post
foogie
post May 1 2013, 02:51 PM

Casual

Guys, any recommendation for alpine light hiking? Going to try out Aiguille du Midi at Chamonix around September (which should still be around end of summer). I hope I don't need crampons for it. Should I get it in Malaysia or France? Will France be cheaper?
+Quote Post
J.alexander
post May 26 2013, 09:27 AM

Hi people, just visited Direct Sports at Subang yesterday and there's a pair of Hitec mid-ankle hiking boots for sale, last pair, size 8 male, at bin sale section.

Not promoting the brand. Just sharing that if you have bought already any shoes used for a year more and going for more hikes, do remember to stitch it up so that it could last a bit more...

My first hiking boots (ex-now coz just died) was Hitec bought at MV World of Sports @50%, 3 years ago served me well at Rinjani but started to come apart on me at Fansipan. Most prolly due to wet conditions. The rubber soles gave way. Loved the mid-ankle support though. Cheers
+Quote Post
cain
post Jul 1 2013, 02:06 PM

User is delinquent

Bumping in search of Adidas Kampungs! Somewhere around Cheras or Shah Alam?

This post has been edited by cain: Jul 1 2013, 02:07 PM
+Quote Post
tongpoh
post Jul 6 2013, 11:07 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cain @ Jul 1 2013, 02:06 PM)
Bumping in search of Adidas Kampungs! Somewhere around Cheras or Shah Alam?
Sarawak 40% hash runners wear kampung adidas,50% wear Inov-8 Mudclaw and 10% wear football shoe.
+Quote Post
4Rings
post Jul 8 2013, 09:58 AM

Lord of the Rings

I have stopped buying expensive shoes for hiking. I would now go for those that cost RM100+ after 30-50% discount. Both the expensive and cheaper shoes lasted approx 1 year as I trek 3-4 times a week. I personally prefer Asics trail shoes for its comfort.
+Quote Post
princelike
post Jul 8 2013, 11:45 AM

hello! i'm hiking up Bukhansan in october and its my first time hiking. Any suggestions on what kind of shoes should I get? Thank you!
+Quote Post
AremyrZ
post Jul 15 2013, 02:30 PM

Enthusiast

Guys, i'm looking at hiking sandal such as Merrell Potage Web or Teva Omnium for my trip to Mt.Kinabalu & Mt.Rinjani..in your opinion (especially those who has been there) would those sandal be suitable?
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2956sec    3.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:41 PM