Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

choosing carreer as safety officer, confuse about course EDOSH & OUM

views

zackyo
post May 30 2017, 01:48 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(hakim1994 @ Apr 11 2017, 07:25 PM)
Sorry for bringing old post back up.
I was doing some research about SHO. So what does it take to become a safety office in malaysia? Im planning to take bachelor occupational safety healh in oum. But the course is around 4 years + and idk if its worth it or not. After i got my bosh and niosh exams am i qualified as a SO?  May i know the average salary of SO?

Thanks in advance.
I am competent SHO and registered with DOSH. To become SHO, you need to attend for the SHO Course at NIOSH. After that, you need sit for the exams. 3 from the 4 exams are straight forward exam but the 4 paper is the most tricky one called work place assessment and consist of two part which is reports and presentation to DOSH Officer.

So, in order to answer the fourth paper you need to have experienced in safety & health field or you need to apply what you have already learned in SHO class as an example : Incident/Accident Investigation, Job Safety Analysis, HIRARC, Legal requirements ( Occupational Safety & Health Act 1998, Factory & Machinery Act 1988). If i not mistaken, you will be given 2 months to prepare your reports, sent to NIOSH and you need to present it to DOSH Officer.

After you have pass all the exams, you need 3 years experienced as a safety practitioner either as a safety supervisor, safety executive, assistant SHO, safety promoter and etc. The 3 years period is calculated either before or after the course or exams as long as you work as a safety practitioner.

You are also needed to record all your activities during that 3 years period of experience such as safety inspection checklist, safety committee meeting and any inspection that involving local authorities especially with DOSH. All of these documents needed during the submission of registration with DOSH as the evidence of your involvement in safety.

Other than that, you also can go for a Degree in Safety at University like Unisel, University Malaysia Pahang and etc.. but, be reminded that OUM - BOSHM is not recognized by DOSH.
You can check all the list at DOSH Web Site.

Last but not least, although this safety field, have a high payed in salary, you must know that, to become a good SHO, you need skill in advising top management of the company to obey to the Act and all the legal requirement. It is because, to deal with safety requirement, company need to come out with extra cost. Do they want to do so? They only think how to get profit. So as a SHO/SHM you need to convinced them.

The most challenging part is to make sure that all of the person that work in the project understand the safety requirement during working at site. In other meaning, you need to deal with all the people from lower class to upper class people.

For me, I have already about +-5 years experience in this Safety & Health field. I begin my carrier as Safety Supervisor on 2012 at the age of 22. During that time, my salary is about rm2.4k++. On 2015, I registered as a competent SHO and my salary now is rm8k++.. This salary rate is on construction field. If you enter manufacturing industry, the rate will be lower. But, the best rate is at OnG industry.

Thanks

This post has been edited by zackyo: May 30 2017, 01:49 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0114sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:22 PM