Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

choosing carreer as safety officer, confuse about course EDOSH & OUM

views

kakarocht
post Jul 20 2017, 11:20 AM

Hibernate Time.............
3,254 posts

QUOTE(kayjaf @ Jul 20 2017, 12:15 AM)
Hi, may i know. is it worth it for me as a final year degree student in chemical engineering to enroll in the SHO course at NIOSH. since uve said after the exam, i need 3 years of experience related to safety field before i can register with DOSH to become competent SHO, which i may not end up being in that field. Im only considering this cert because to increase my value as a freshie in Oil and Gas Industry. May i know your opinion on this.

Thanks in advance
can no problem even you've different background of degree doesn't means you cannot take the SHO cert. u must remember there are a lot different of competency courses. eg now DOSH already release new YB (yellow book) aka SSS (SITE SAFETY SUPERVISOR) but you learn similar courses for SHO both same only different is the level/grading. remember even you've no work experience but already attended the course you cannot register it at MYKKP. once you have job experience min 3 years then you can take exam cos your exam especially for paper 4 is about workplace. remember if you've work experience at any level of working background eg: office etc. you must have proper doc such as JD, osh meeting etc..most important your name must in the OSH committee member cos this is the proof for you to declared as sho. else you works for 10 years (any work background as long as you can proof yourself as OSH practitioner then you eligible to go for interview directly to DOSH director genenal without taking any courses/exam if you pass those exam then you're competence person. you may confused about NEBOSH and SHO(GB) both are different actually. I got both cert but unfortunately my NEBOSH expired cos lazy to renew. remember both are diff and not all OnG company willing to take GB cos for them GB is low level compared to NEBOSH (international level from UK NIOSH) over GB cos i debate the DOSH state director in mlk even DOSH officer as well. laugh.gif my advise if you wan to go OnG company especially multinational you take NEBOSH over GB. they offer your much more better salary than GB. I not discriminate the GB level just that our authority doesn't approved NEBOSH as competence level eventhough all the regulations and policy such as OSHA, OHSAS...mostly from UK standard. GB only valid to work in Malaysia only..so cannot compared over MYR and USD salary. laugh.gif
kakarocht
post Jul 21 2017, 10:39 AM

3,254 posts

QUOTE(kayjaf @ Jul 20 2017, 11:34 PM)
hey thanks for your time to response on my question. Ive read about NEBOSH, and i think its a far fetched to my current situation. The thing is, im considering SHO from NIOSH because of the accommodation and scheduling that is perfectly suit to my situation  (im in melaka and have 1 more semester before going to industry training)

Since this course is not cheap to a student like me, i really wanna know if it is worth it as a add-on cert, and im more prone to operation and production since im majoring in process,so i dont think i will be involved as a Safety practitioner.

Hence, after taking the exam, then no 3 years of experience in safety thus not registering to DOSH, is this cert still a good investment for me?

Hope to get feedback on this matter. Thank you.

nebosh also you can take the exam in malaysia you need to other training centre that provide this services for inshore and offshore...not only nebosh they provided like bosiet etc all is competence. since you're in melaka you can go at niosh ayer keroh. being a competence person is not about u see the money/high salary if you not doing your responsibility also is useless.. shakehead.gif spoilt the SHO image. doh.gif my advice is find the job first then take the course no point if you take the course without the experience as least you know the procedure and hirach during working time. else you may confuse. sweat.gif ayam also from melaka as well. whistling.gif
kakarocht
post Jan 23 2018, 08:59 AM

3,254 posts

QUOTE(Aidan AAA @ Jan 22 2018, 12:10 PM)
SHO is nationally recognized, NEBOSH is internationally recognized, am I getting this right?
yes...both oso from niosh just that different body cos niosh malaysia only recognize for dosh malaysia while nebosh, bosiet etc other than this from niosh uk. locally vs international...pro and cons... laugh.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0122sec    0.19    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:30 AM