Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> choosing carreer as safety officer, confuse about course EDOSH & OUM

DenshaOtoko
post Sep 20 2008, 07:58 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

smile.gif Dear frens,

I am interested to change my carrer to become safety officer or safety engineer and therefore looking foward the suitable course for me to take. I am little confusing about course executive diploma in occupational safet and health (EDOSH) offered by UTM and OUM.

1. May I know which one is offering better quality of course and does it recognised?

2. Upon graduate from this course, will I eligible to become qualified safety officer? If not, please tell me what is the next step should I go then.

I also would like to hear those who are working as safety officer to share your little bit story on how did you start, what course you took and about the job itself. I heard in Malaysia, we are still lack of qualified safety officer as demand for it is high and also get high pay salary.

Thanks. smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joe_metal83
post Sep 20 2008, 08:20 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(DenshaOtoko @ Sep 20 2008, 07:58 PM)
smile.gif Dear frens,

I am interested to change my carrer to become safety officer or safety engineer and therefore looking foward the suitable course for me to take. I am little confusing about course executive diploma in occupational safet and health (EDOSH) offered by UTM and OUM.

1. May I know which one is offering better quality of course and does it recognised?

2. Upon graduate from this course, will I eligible to become qualified safety officer? If not, please tell me what is the next step should I go then.

I also would like to hear those who are working as safety officer to share your little bit story on how did you start, what course you took and about the job itself. I heard in Malaysia, we are still lack of qualified safety officer as demand for it is high and also get high pay salary.

Thanks. smile.gif
u can take at NIOSH.....better than UTM and OUM
+Quote Post
mahsiuling
post Sep 21 2008, 12:06 AM

Getting Started

r u referring to construction field/sector?
you may actually do a search on this.

This is 1 of the job vacany offered that i looked for you bro.
additional requirements as well. noted there certificate endorsed by DOSH
is important!
so,which was recognise?you may consider that?
If both UTM and OUM offer the same thing and recognation,of course you need to consider the fees and your study location of the campus.

http://my.jobstreet.com/jobs/2008/8/defaul...697935.htm?fr=J

This post has been edited by mahsiuling: Sep 21 2008, 12:07 AM
+Quote Post
DenshaOtoko
post Sep 21 2008, 08:22 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(joe_metal83 @ Sep 20 2008, 08:20 PM)
u can take at NIOSH.....better  than UTM and OUM

I recently asked the personnel from NIOSH about this matter. According to him, I can actually take the cert OSH course but the salary will be commensurate with the qualification & experience. And if I go for exec diploma OSH course and gain experience in the related field for 2 or 3 years, I can take the exam to register with DOE. The difference is salary. Both OUM and UTM only offer the diploma for that course but in the end have to take the exam to confirm as safety officer. I am still blur which one is correct. I am prefer to work in oil & gas field.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.
+Quote Post
giggsip11
post Oct 6 2008, 05:08 PM

all safety officer must be taken an exam by NIOSH to be a qualified & competence safety officer..no matter u have a diploma or degree in OSH or not but minimum requirement to take the exam as i was inform by the NIOSH, u must have minimum diploma cert & attend OSH course..then u'll be qualify to take the SHO exam..
i'll attend this course starting this month..22days course..4 modules.. but its have 3 options..u can choose which options u want..they have part time course, full time & also in module basis (as what i'll attend)..for more details, u can surf NIOSH website..there's detail including the course schedule for every year..this course will cost u RM4k..

+Quote Post
neohardcore
post Oct 27 2008, 03:45 AM

Casual

QUOTE(giggsip11 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:08 PM)
all safety officer must be taken an exam by NIOSH to be a qualified & competence safety officer..no matter u have a diploma or degree in OSH or not but minimum requirement to take the exam as i was inform by the NIOSH, u must have minimum diploma cert & attend OSH course..then u'll be qualify to take the SHO exam..
i'll attend this course starting this month..22days course..4 modules.. but its have 3 options..u can choose which options u want..they have part time course, full time & also in module basis (as what i'll attend)..for more details, u can surf NIOSH website..there's detail including the course schedule for every year..this course will cost u RM4k..
i have surf NIOSH website and even look into the forum.but i still didn't get what should i really do if i wanna change my career to sofety officer.i got diploma in mech eng and now im working as draughtsman.so,what should i do to take the SHO exam?mind to share what is OSH course all about?i think,i can take the part time course but where the course will be held? icon_question.gif
+Quote Post
mrsbrightside
post Jul 4 2010, 10:40 AM

Getting Started

I would like all experienced safety officers advice, which is better; to enroll in MEng in Safety, Health & Environment course or to take the certificate programme for safety and health officer? I'm currently working as a process engineer and very much interested in SHE field. But I would like to gain some experience in process field first but in the mean time I hope to study part time for Safety courses. The master course is about 14K, where else the cert is 4k. As far as I am concerned, I know that the master programme doesn't qualify you as a SHE officer after completion, but have to also undertake the DOSH exam. Correct me if I'm wrong.
+Quote Post
stef0406
post Aug 22 2010, 02:47 PM

QUOTE(giggsip11 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:08 PM)
Hi, i came across to this thread while doing some research on this course. i'm interested with the couse that you mentioned too. Once you completed this course, are you able to find related job for this as i see normally they hired experienced ppl?? Do fill me in regarding this course since you must have been completed it.

I'll appreciate it much. thnx notworthy.gif
+Quote Post
haroldz123
post Aug 22 2010, 04:58 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

all those diploma or degree holder of HSE / dosh/ safety will have to take niosh HSE exam in order to get register by DOSH

the good thing is u dun have to sit for the course, only take the exam

once u pass niosh hse exam, u can earn minimum of RM3K

how to look for experience?
go into plantation/ palm oil (less glamorous option) or apply for safety officer assistant
+Quote Post
akubencilipas
post Sep 12 2010, 01:21 AM

hi all!

i'm a first year eosh(environment occupational safety and health) degree at usm.

can i ask,

that i've also to take the test as mention above to be certificate as the safety officer?
hope someone can answer me.

tq! blink.gif
+Quote Post
Moshpit
post Jun 14 2011, 04:12 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(akubencilipas @ Sep 12 2010, 01:21 AM)
hi all!

i'm a first year eosh(environment occupational safety and health) degree at usm.

can i ask,

that i've also to take the test as mention above to be certificate as the safety officer?
hope someone can answer me.

tq!  blink.gif
I think better take NEBOSH which is globally recognize. Plus u can straight register with NIOSH ...
+Quote Post
freefall
post Oct 9 2011, 12:16 PM

Getting Started

Hi all,

i am interested also in targeting to be a safety officer. the thing is, i dun hv any engineering background. is Getting dip cert first a compulsory before applying NIOSH? Can someone elaborate this..... thx
+Quote Post
nightzstar
post Nov 2 2011, 01:56 PM

Life's Good

QUOTE(freefall @ Oct 9 2011, 12:16 PM)
Hi all,

i am interested also in targeting to be a safety officer. the thing is, i dun hv any engineering background. is Getting dip cert first a compulsory before applying NIOSH? Can someone elaborate this..... thx
u can take certificate in occupational safety and health at niosh. Not necessary from engineering background. If u have, it is added advantage.
+Quote Post
danny_sp15
post Nov 3 2011, 08:23 AM

==============

Hi guys, im currently working as a doctor (houseman), 4months into the job. Im seriously thinking of quitting, and perhaps join niosh. If i already have a medical degree, how long will it be before i can become a SHO?
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Nov 3 2011, 02:08 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Nov 3 2011, 08:23 AM)
Hi guys, im currently working as a doctor (houseman), 4months into the job. Im seriously thinking of quitting, and perhaps join niosh. If i already have a medical degree, how long will it be before i can become a SHO?
Never heard a doctor wanted to become a SHO. But u can try asking niosh, maybe u can become a trainer instead of a SHO.
+Quote Post
danny_sp15
post Nov 3 2011, 04:31 PM

==============

QUOTE(hitsugaya2010 @ Nov 3 2011, 02:08 PM)
Never heard a doctor wanted to become a SHO. But u can try asking niosh, maybe u can become a trainer instead of a SHO.
trainer is better than SHO?
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Nov 3 2011, 05:36 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Nov 3 2011, 04:31 PM)
trainer is better than SHO?
its not easy to become a trainer...normally u need to have experience and undergo some training... yea i think trainer is better than SHO... u earn thru head counts.. u know what i mean? means how many ppl attend ur training... hahaha.. u may also apply SHO la.. i think..
+Quote Post
crapp0
post Nov 5 2011, 10:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Moshpit @ Jun 14 2011, 04:12 PM)
I think better take NEBOSH which is globally recognize. Plus u can straight register with NIOSH ...
I am also partaking the diploma course from nebosh since my uncle who is a safety manager recommended nebosh due to its high standards and being internationally recognized.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
de|phantom
post Nov 7 2011, 12:31 AM

▣⌇▣ Rest In Peace ▣⌇▣

OUM is recognised..

from what i heard, if you have diploma, you need 3 years experience before register to DOSH..need to attend an interview..then you become a competent safety officer..

This post has been edited by de|phantom: Nov 7 2011, 12:37 AM
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Nov 8 2011, 05:16 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(crapp0 @ Nov 5 2011, 10:07 AM)
I am also partaking the diploma course from nebosh since my uncle who is a safety manager recommended nebosh due to its high standards and being internationally recognized.
Izzit a long distance learning program? or u can take from any teaching centre here?
+Quote Post
mrul
post Nov 17 2011, 09:50 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(DenshaOtoko @ Sep 21 2008, 08:22 AM)
I recently asked the personnel from NIOSH about this matter. According to him, I can actually take the cert OSH course but the salary will be commensurate with the qualification & experience. And if I go for exec diploma OSH course and gain experience  in the related field for 2 or 3 years, I can take the exam to register with DOE. The difference is salary. Both OUM and UTM only offer the diploma for that course but in the end have to take the exam to confirm as safety officer. I am still blur which one is correct. I am prefer to work in oil & gas field.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.
qualification (spm/dip/deg/master/etc) and experience does play roles in salary justifications.
aftr attend SHO course, then u can sit for the SHO exam. aftr u passed the exam, then u need to gather 3 yrs experience n then try to register urself with DOSH.

i think it's better for u to go for OHD - Occupational Health Doctor so that times when u study med are not wasted. u can serves as normal doctor and also OHD.

Added on November 17, 2011, 9:54 am
QUOTE(de|phantom @ Nov 7 2011, 12:31 AM)
OUM is recognised..

from what i heard, if you have diploma, you need 3 years experience before register to DOSH..need to attend an interview..then you become a competent safety officer..
before register with DOSH, u need to atend the SHO course first then sit for the SHO exam.. after that gather 3 yrs experience before u can register with DOSH... being a registered SHO is one thing but to be a competent SHO is another thing...

QUOTE(hitsugaya2010 @ Nov 8 2011, 05:16 PM)
Izzit a long distance learning program? or u can take from any teaching centre here?
there are few training provider that provide NEBOSH course..one of it that i can recall is CONSIST...
but for Malaysian SHO course, u need to check with DOSH whether they are recognised or not...

This post has been edited by mrul: Nov 17 2011, 09:54 AM
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Nov 17 2011, 12:23 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(mrul @ Nov 17 2011, 09:50 AM)
there are few training provider that provide NEBOSH course..one of it that i can recall is CONSIST...
but for Malaysian SHO course, u need to check with DOSH whether they are recognised or not...
Do u have any idea what company will provide this course while u ar working with them? normally it will be government jobs rite?
+Quote Post
crapp0
post Nov 17 2011, 01:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(hitsugaya2010 @ Nov 8 2011, 05:16 PM)
It depends on the training centre curriculum, the one im in is distance learning since i am still working and it is a hassle for me to go down to the training centre for the classes.
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Nov 17 2011, 03:15 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(crapp0 @ Nov 17 2011, 01:02 PM)
It depends on the training centre curriculum, the one im in is distance learning since i am still working and it is a hassle for me to go down to the training centre for the classes.
may i know which training centre u are taking?
+Quote Post
ameerz
post Dec 1 2011, 08:39 PM

ade company yg sponsor..ade yg by own...
+Quote Post
vult2res
post Dec 2 2011, 04:22 PM

Getting Started

Im currently employed as SSS for a construction company in KL. I attended the SHO course organized by NIOSH few months back and I'd say my current salary is much much more satisfying than my previous job as an engineer. It was worth the investment of 4k which of course you have to pay for the course fees, but after you get a job as safety personel with a salary of more than 4k, you will be more than satisfied already. however, to be a SHO or SSS, i'd say be prepared to handle the huge responsibilities which the management will put on your shoulder. sometimes, you will have to be the decision maker especially on safety issues. safety issue on site or any other working place is a no joke issue as it will affect the whole project/work if shit happens. If you have the TAK APA attitude, then forget about becoming SHO/SSS. In addition to have a good communication skill is a plus coz you gonna communicate with all levels from the bosses to the general workers. hope this will enlighten all dudes/dudettes who wanna jump into this field. cheers!!
+Quote Post
al-achai
post Dec 3 2011, 09:52 PM

appreciate all,very informative topic..
i'm targeting to take this course after retiring and returning to MY soon..
with a diploma + more than 10 years experience in O&G it wont be hard for me. Hoping that other forumer @ guru's in SHO/SSS/SHE field can share with us in future.

will contact NIOSH to get better view..

+Quote Post
Protoculture
post Jan 30 2012, 03:54 PM

On my way

Guys, EDOSH offered by OUM IPD (Institute Professional Development) is a programme offered together with NIOSH.

For details, refer http://ipdoum.edu.my/index.php?option=com_...loma&Itemid=119

Academic progression after completing EDOSH, refer here http://ipdoum.edu.my/index.php?option=com_...upcoming-events

However, OUM also offers degree in OSHM oso ....
+Quote Post
MSF88
post Feb 5 2012, 09:57 PM

Group: New Member

i also was planning to take safety and health officer cert at niosh...
but Malaysia cert is not acknowledged in s'pore.so now can u guys plz help me to find easier way to do so.i had a diploma,now i want to change my career into becoming an safety officer...which way is better for me, either to take degree with OUM or take the cert with niosh 1st....guys plz help me..
rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by MSF88: Feb 5 2012, 10:00 PM
+Quote Post
zukruff
post Mar 14 2012, 10:31 AM

Hi, seems you already a doctor. how about becoming Occupational Health Doctor(OHD) instead? you can contact niosh for further info.

here is the link :

http://www.dosh.gov.my/doshv2/index.php?vi...emid=11&lang=en

This post has been edited by zukruff: Mar 14 2012, 10:56 AM
+Quote Post
LanDi
post Sep 6 2012, 09:38 PM

Getting Started

Its not SHO. Its OHD = Occupational Health Doctor.
+Quote Post
a_hazri@yahoo.com
post Dec 27 2012, 10:47 AM

guys...i only have diploma in admin...cert in industrial training (ILP)..and working in a bank...am i eligible to take niosh training programe as i really wanted to work in an oil and gas company as a safety officer
+Quote Post
ryanlum
post Dec 27 2012, 11:55 AM

Getting Started

which cert offers more value?
+Quote Post
crapp0
post Dec 27 2012, 02:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ryanlum @ Dec 27 2012, 11:55 AM)
which cert offers more value?
Getting the SHO cert from niosh is sufficient to be a health and safety "practitioner" in malaysia.

In the overseas market or OnG, the niosh cert is limited by the fact that it designed by malaysians for malaysian standards. Offshore work or those involved in the OnG sector safety policy will be different from situation to situation.

An example would be work carried out by Mcdermott international as the main con for the client BP in the caspain sea. Following malaysias niosh standard, you would use the safety policy and standards that meet the minimum requirements of the country you are operating in. The common practice that i have worked with overseas is you "always" follow whoevers HSE policy is more stringent and meets the OSH legislation of the country you are operating in.

I would suggest you look up nebosh which is an internationally recognized uk based health and safety accreditation body. If you are interested in working in states, you could look into CSP which is the US equivalent to nebosh.

Then theres australia which has its own health and safety body called safe work australia and you need to be accredited by OHSA australia according to their own HSE standards as well.

Pick your poison.

This post has been edited by crapp0: Dec 27 2012, 02:02 PM
+Quote Post
ryanlum
post Jan 6 2013, 10:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(crapp0 @ Dec 27 2012, 02:02 PM)
Getting the SHO cert from niosh is sufficient to be a health and safety "practitioner" in malaysia.

In the overseas market or OnG, the niosh cert is limited by the fact that it designed by malaysians for malaysian standards. Offshore work or those involved in the OnG sector safety policy will be different from situation to situation.

An example would be work carried out by Mcdermott international as the main con for the client BP in the caspain sea. Following malaysias niosh standard, you would use the safety policy and standards that meet the minimum requirements of the country you are operating in. The common practice that i have worked with overseas is you "always" follow whoevers HSE policy is more stringent and meets the OSH legislation of the country you are operating in.

I would suggest you look up nebosh which is an internationally recognized uk based health and safety accreditation body. If you are interested in working in states, you could look into CSP which is the US equivalent to nebosh.

Then theres australia which has its own health and safety body called safe work australia and you need to be accredited by OHSA australia according to their own HSE standards as well.

Pick your poison.
so basically.. the only cert that you get really depends on which country you work right?

whats the expected pay after the cert comes out?
+Quote Post
crapp0
post Jan 6 2013, 11:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ryanlum @ Jan 6 2013, 10:51 PM)
so basically.. the only cert that you get really depends on which country you work right?

whats the expected pay after the cert comes out?
To be on the safe side, get as many as possible to cover yourself in whatever region you are interested in working in. Nebosh is sufficient for most overseas work if that is what you are after.

I have both NIOSH green card as well as the nebosh international diploma in OHS and am seriously considering to take up CSP as well since in a year of two, i may want to work in the states as a safety officer for shale oil extraction in the Piceance Basin, in colorado.
+Quote Post
nestlebliss
post Jan 14 2013, 03:59 PM

Getting Started

hie guys im a new grad and my lecturer suggested that i look into this safety & health officer thing...whats the career path because i tried researching around im still not too sure about it..
+Quote Post
you90
post Jan 14 2013, 04:07 PM

Casual

Safety and health officer, does it actually related to Quality Assurance officer as well?

Coz I heard QA officer in certain companies more or less also deals with workers safety and hygience etc...
+Quote Post
syedzainal87
post Feb 7 2013, 11:37 AM

QUOTE(vult2res @ Dec 2 2011, 04:22 PM)
Im currently employed as SSS for a construction company in KL. I attended the SHO course organized by NIOSH few months back and I'd say my current salary is much much more satisfying than my previous job as an engineer. It was worth the investment of 4k which of course you have to pay for the course fees, but after you get a job as safety personel with a salary of more than 4k, you will be more than satisfied already. however, to be a SHO or SSS, i'd say be prepared to handle the huge responsibilities which the management will put on your shoulder. sometimes, you will have to be the decision maker especially on safety issues. safety issue on site or any other working place is a no joke issue as it will affect the whole project/work if shit happens. If you have the TAK APA attitude, then forget about becoming SHO/SSS. In addition to have a good communication skill is a plus coz you gonna communicate with all levels from the bosses to the general workers. hope this will enlighten all dudes/dudettes who wanna jump into this field. cheers!!
Hi

Do you mind to share your email , i would like to ask you few this about OSH- and i will start my class on 2 march. here's my email syedzainal87@yahoo.com
+Quote Post
aeppy
post Mar 15 2013, 08:30 AM

twinkle-twinkle little star

diploma in info mgmt & 3 years work experience in IT can join this safety & health course?
+Quote Post
georgie99
post Jun 16 2013, 02:44 PM

Getting Started

How about if girl apply SHO position?
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Jun 17 2013, 04:22 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(georgie99 @ Jun 16 2013, 02:44 PM)
How about if girl apply SHO position?
Still can no problem...! my previous company have female officers..haha
+Quote Post
georgie99
post Jun 17 2013, 08:46 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(hitsugaya2010 @ Jun 17 2013, 04:22 PM)
Still can no problem...! my previous company have female officers..haha
Got sexual harresment? smile.gif
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Jun 18 2013, 08:50 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(georgie99 @ Jun 17 2013, 08:46 PM)
Got sexual harresment? smile.gif
???? why suddenly sexual harassment?
+Quote Post
pigrabbit
post Jun 18 2013, 03:59 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(hitsugaya2010 @ Nov 3 2011, 02:08 PM)
did you heard of occupational health doctor before?

SHO is analysis of safety
OHD is doctor.

both occupations are same scope but the different is OHD have additional of medical knowlledge.
+Quote Post
hitsugaya2010
post Jun 18 2013, 04:38 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(pigrabbit @ Jun 18 2013, 03:59 PM)
did you heard of occupational health doctor before?

SHO is analysis of safety
OHD is doctor.

both occupations are same scope but the different is OHD have additional of medical knowlledge.
yea.. there is this position.. but normally i saw doctors that give offshore medical check only.. haha.. but of course some work at the platform or at the site...
+Quote Post
Mohd Zularif
post Sep 26 2013, 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Moshpit @ Jun 14 2011, 04:12 PM)
Well, sorry for interrupting....
What is NEBOSH? and how do i apply for it? is there any requirement needed?
I've heard of it....but i'm still a little bit confused with the NIOSH....are these two are really the same or else?

icon_question.gif someone?
+Quote Post
nGeeMoN
post Oct 4 2013, 12:28 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Mohd Zularif @ Sep 26 2013, 03:53 PM)
Well, sorry for interrupting....
What is NEBOSH? and how do i apply for it? is there any requirement needed?
I've heard of it....but i'm still a little bit confused with the NIOSH....are these two are really the same or else?

icon_question.gif someone?
NEBOSH is international accreditation where globally recognized, NIOSH offers SHO cert for those who planning to work in Malaysia only.
both related to OSH and basic requirement is money, lots of it. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1278sec    2.59    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 08:50 PM