Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Melbourne & Southern Australia, Australia

views

jtsl9
post Aug 25 2016, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

QUOTE(Fandeon @ Aug 24 2016, 11:46 AM)
Hello, just wondering budget travel to Melburne for around 10 days would cost roughly around how much?

I'm planning to go later this year but the flight tix is around RM2.3k  rclxub.gif
Later this year = school holiday = expensive
Cause recently I just booked flight ticket with AA to Melbourne in Dec and it already cost me RM1.6k
Fandeon
post Aug 25 2016, 04:32 PM

Casual
465 posts

QUOTE(kenji1903 @ Aug 24 2016, 09:28 PM)
which airlines and where are you flying to?

and what kind of accommodation are you looking at?

plus what's your daily food budget? tongue.gif
The price I checked is via CheapOair, also double checked with Airasia it's around 2.5k. I don't mind any airlines at all.

My original planning is 10 days around 3k++ all inclusive, plus flight I was expecting around 4.5k. (I have never done any research on it yet due to the fact I'm going with my relative's family). I'm expecting the flight tix around 1.5k only, didn't expect 2.3~2.5k

QUOTE(jtsl9 @ Aug 25 2016, 10:17 AM)
Later this year = school holiday = expensive
Cause recently I just booked flight ticket with AA to Melbourne in Dec and it already cost me RM1.6k
1.6k still ok ler...I'm going there for one of my cousin's convocation+travel within melburne only... sad.gif sad.gif
kennysik88
post Aug 25 2016, 04:59 PM

Casual
367 posts

Hi guys,

Planning to go Melbourne next month but wanna get sum advice from u all.
1. Is it recommend to drive since will be first time there.
2. I saw people recommend Mercure Welcome Melbourne hotel at last post so if I'm going to drive, is carpark available at the building.
3. Basically I read that the shops close as early as 5pm over there so after 5pm mostly the street near the hotel will be quiet?

Thanks for ur advice 1st
kenji1903
post Aug 25 2016, 10:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,784 posts

QUOTE(Fandeon @ Aug 25 2016, 04:32 PM)
The price I checked is via CheapOair, also double checked with Airasia it's around 2.5k. I don't mind any airlines at all.

My original planning is 10 days around 3k++ all inclusive, plus flight I was expecting around 4.5k. (I have never done any research on it yet due to the fact I'm going with my relative's family). I'm expecting the flight tix around 1.5k only, didn't expect 2.3~2.5k
1.6k still ok ler...I'm going there for one of my cousin's convocation+travel within melburne only... sad.gif  sad.gif
i'm flying SIA, also around that price

traveling with family usually no need to budget that much unless you are planning to be lone ranger laugh.gif

anyway, i'm limiting AUD90/day/pax for food, not sure enough or not, since you are going first, maybe you can advice me instead tongue.gif
wenzhenzhen
post Aug 26 2016, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(kennysik88 @ Aug 25 2016, 04:59 PM)
Hi guys,

2. I saw people recommend Mercure Welcome Melbourne hotel at last post so if I'm going to drive, is carpark available at the building.
3. Basically I read that the shops close as early as 5pm over there so after 5pm mostly the street near the hotel will be quiet?

Thanks for ur advice 1st
Hi, here is the answer below:

1. Depends where you stay. If u stay at city and at free tram zone area, it is recommended to take public transport as it is convenient. Besides that, the parking is super duper expensive which price can be up to AUD 5 per hour. Rent a car and drive to outskirts if you planning to visit outskirts.
2. Perhaps you can enquire them as some hotels may charge parking for visitors.
3. Depends. Yes, most shops closed around 6pm. However, supermarkets like coles closed at 10pm. Bars and pubs closed around midnight.
GrammarNazi
post Aug 26 2016, 09:46 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(kennysik88 @ Aug 25 2016, 04:59 PM)
Hi guys,

Thanks for ur advice 1st
Mercure Welcome appears to be right opposite Emporium and I think Emporium is still open until 9-ish?. The streets will not be quiet after 5 pm, there are a heck of a lot of eateries on Swanston and the area is still buzzing at 9 - 10pm. Buskers are also there pretty much every night. I'm not too sure about Little Bourke though, the last time I was there at 9-ish there was still a lot of people around.
kennysik88
post Aug 26 2016, 10:27 AM

Casual
367 posts

QUOTE(wenzhenzhen @ Aug 26 2016, 08:31 AM)
Hi, here is the answer below:

1. Depends where you stay. If u stay at city and at free tram zone area, it is recommended to take public transport as it is convenient. Besides that, the parking is super duper expensive which price can be up to AUD 5 per hour. Rent a car and drive to outskirts if you planning to visit outskirts.
2. Perhaps you can enquire them as some hotels may charge parking for visitors.
3. Depends. Yes, most shops closed around 6pm. However, supermarkets like coles closed at 10pm. Bars and pubs closed around midnight.
QUOTE(GrammarNazi @ Aug 26 2016, 09:46 AM)
Mercure Welcome appears to be right opposite Emporium and I think Emporium is still open until 9-ish?. The streets will not be quiet after 5 pm, there are a heck of a lot of eateries on Swanston and the area is still buzzing at 9 - 10pm. Buskers are also there pretty much every night. I'm not too sure about Little Bourke though, the last time I was there at 9-ish there was still a lot of people around.
Thanks for the advice and I booked Pullman Melbourne On The Park. Hopefully it will be convenience. Btw, I plan to go phillip island & yarra valley so is it advisable to rent a car?
icyblanca
post Aug 26 2016, 10:54 AM

Casual
368 posts

hi, i'm going to sydney soon.
on the arrival day (sun) i'll touch down SYD at 9++am. but fren can only pick up in the afternoon.

any attraction place nearby airport area? there'll be three of us and with three big luggage. should i rent a car for Sunday instead? please advice.. thanks!
Monya Meow Meow
post Aug 27 2016, 07:02 AM

100% Tiffanyfied
2,222 posts

QUOTE(kennysik88 @ Aug 26 2016, 10:27 AM)
Thanks for the advice and I booked Pullman Melbourne On The Park. Hopefully it will be convenience. Btw, I plan to go phillip island & yarra valley so is it advisable to rent a car?
Pullman Melbourne on the Park is just beside Fitzroy Gardens and MCG so that's not too bad.
You can walk up to the CBD, should take only 5-10 mins then you can start taking free trams.
Few good restaurants around the corner too like Cumulus, Chin Chin and Mamasita.
wenzhenzhen
post Aug 27 2016, 05:45 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(kennysik88 @ Aug 26 2016, 10:27 AM)
Yes, it is advisable to rent car if u visit Phillip Island as Phillip Island is 3 hrs drive away from CBD. Yarra Valley I am not sure as I didnt go there during my Melbourne trip
kennysik88
post Aug 29 2016, 09:53 AM

Casual
367 posts

QUOTE(wenzhenzhen @ Aug 27 2016, 05:45 PM)
Yes, it is advisable to rent car if u visit Phillip Island as Phillip Island is 3 hrs drive away from CBD. Yarra Valley I am not sure as I didnt go there during my Melbourne trip
Thanks for the reply. Will you recommend to straight rent the car from airport once touch down or collect the car another day as I will reach around 830pm which seems dangerous to drive cause first time going there. Around how much will it be for the taxi from airport to the hotel? Sorry for so many questions.
Monya Meow Meow
post Aug 29 2016, 11:00 AM

100% Tiffanyfied
2,222 posts

QUOTE(kennysik88 @ Aug 29 2016, 09:53 AM)
Thanks for the reply. Will you recommend to straight rent the car from airport once touch down or collect the car another day as I will reach around 830pm which seems dangerous to drive cause first time going there. Around how much will it be for the taxi from airport to the hotel? Sorry for so many questions.
Taxi from airport to Pullman should be around $60
kennysik88
post Aug 29 2016, 11:28 AM

Casual
367 posts

Sorry for another question, is my new license can be use over there or require any international license?
Monya Meow Meow
post Aug 29 2016, 11:35 AM

100% Tiffanyfied
2,222 posts

QUOTE(kennysik88 @ Aug 29 2016, 11:28 AM)
Sorry for another question, is my new license can be use over there or require any international license?
Yes you can use your new Malaysian license
chern84
post Aug 29 2016, 01:12 PM

Getting Started
58 posts

Hi, have you all tried jucy car rental before? Any comments? Jucy and Apex, which one is better?
rachel_xxx
post Aug 29 2016, 07:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,294 posts

QUOTE(Monya Meow Meow @ Aug 15 2016, 09:11 AM)
Whereabouts are you staying?
I think both are about the same but Wildlife Park is more out of the way in Ballarat, no need to make a trip down on purpose just for it.
decided to go melbourne zoo instead.

anyone tried apply visa through https://www.australiavisa.my/ ?

reliable? only RM25
brapa?
post Aug 29 2016, 10:47 PM

Getting Started
149 posts

Has anyone tried driving motorhomes ? I am thinking of using it for GOR primarily & if possible the outskirts of melbourne.
jtsl9
post Aug 30 2016, 11:44 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

QUOTE(Fandeon @ Aug 25 2016, 04:32 PM)

1.6k still ok ler...I'm going there for one of my cousin's convocation+travel within melburne only... sad.gif  sad.gif
You should check MAS fare now, I did a random search and manage to get airfare at RM1.9K for end of December travel.
munkeyflo
post Aug 30 2016, 05:35 PM

Blooop bloop bloop
Group Icon
Staff
2,728 posts

This thread has went beyond the maximum 2500 posts per thread already. Can someone volunteer to open up V2?

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0218sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:32 PM