Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Perodua Kancil... be it 660 or 850..., Mods 2 make it alil faster & smoother..

views

GRexer
post Sep 2 2008, 12:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
3,815 posts

And I thought I was the only person crazy enough to want to mod the carby Kancil of mine. As I'm giving myself some time before investing in a JB-JL 4-speed automatic.

I'm driving a '96 spec 3-speed automatic 660cc Kancil. Most of the mods I'm doing is per DIY basis and kept to a cheapest possible rate as doing too expensive a mod would defeat the purpose of trying to improve the stock engine, as more expensive mods would be put in "transplant to JB-JL trust funds" laugh.gif

What I've done to boost slight response to the car is as per following:

- a short length(mine was 20cm terminal to terminal) of 4-gauge pure copper grounding cable from the battery's negative terminal to the grounding spot of the headlight wiring on the side of the fender
Less headlight dimming at night, this is subjective, but very noticable improvement in terms of air-cond compression switching on and off, the transistion is less noticable. Of course, this might be due to the fact my car is already 12-years-old and the stock cable might have oxidised hence the improvements felt

- a short length(mine was 80cm terminal to terminal) of 8-gauge pure copper grounding cable from the battery's negative terminal to the ignition distributor
Improved spark and better throttle response

- a direct 8-ga cable from the output from the alternator to the battery positive terminal.
Improved electricity flow in the whole car's electrical system thus putting less drag on the engine

- Tighten the throttle cable to the tightest possible position without the engine noticably increasing it's idling rpm(done with air-cond off)
Improved throttle response as the cable no longer has slack and responds directly from whatever input it receives from your right foot, i'm somehow still trying to find out how to fully tune the carby as I don't even know where the knobs for a/f ratio and idling are! laugh.gif

- Port-matching the exhaust manifold using the exhaust gasket as template. This can be done easily if you have the right tools and a place to DIY, and while you are at it, polish the exhaust ports as well.
Better scavenging effect from the exhaust(improve exhaust flow rate) as the stock exhaust manifold and exhaust ports have really bad matching, well, factory cast parts usually are anyway

- Change to a CDI ignition system either from the Japanese EF-CL engine or the local Kancil 850 engine, this only applies to the 660cc models.
Better throttle response, also good to replace old worn out contact points on the stock 660 engines

- Side gapped spark plugs with Bosch Super cables(the red coloured ones, can be bought for less than RM50)
Better spark and improved firing, better throttle response

All the above can be done with a budget of at most RM250 and definitely there'll be an increase in overall response of the engine, somehow, these seemingly simple mods does a great deal on smaller engines.

There are other things I'm planning to do on the cheap or whenever I have the time but I guess i'll only mention them when I'm done as I don't want to mislead people, later do already no difference I kena screwed laugh.gif

Which includes:
- Adding another spring to the throttle pulley on the carby
- Thinning of the butterfly inside the carby
- Adding swirls into the intake ports by using a NPT pipe machine
- Reduced size of the stock downpipe to increase low end torque

This post has been edited by GRexer: Sep 2 2008, 12:42 PM
GRexer
post Sep 2 2008, 12:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
3,815 posts

Hm.. talking about filters, I would really avoid using an open pod on stock Kancils, best is to use a decent stock replacement air filter(Maybe something from Bosch) or best would be a drop-in replacement performance air filter, AFAIK K&N has unfortunately discontinued sales of the unit, so I'm currently sticking wif using the stock unit replaced every 15,000kms.

The it's modded with the Mira turbo engine, then an open pod would do good.
GRexer
post Sep 2 2008, 05:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
3,815 posts

QUOTE(icp @ Sep 2 2008, 02:30 PM)
im trying to improve my old 2002 850 kancil..
somehow i find it consume more petrol than usual..

got any comments on that?
A few things u can do is check your plugs(how long it's never been changed, normal copper plugs are good for around 15,000km, u can change them after that, i would recommend normal copper plugs as at least you won't feel hesistant to change them when due instead of those expensive plugs, think the normal copper plugs costs like RM16 a pack of 4)

Change your petrol filter, if your air filter hadn't been changed for a long time, change it as well.

Also get a good can of carb cleaner(i'm using CRC CLEAN-R-CARB, very effective, you can also use WD-40 but it disolves the dirt slower, the carb cleaner just needs a few spray and it's done) , remove your whole air filter assembly(the whole thing, u need a number 10 spanar or t-wrench to complete the job) and see if there's any dirt clogged around the carby's "mouth", you should see only metal inside the mouth, anything else that appears blackish should be dirt.

Here's a timeline for things needed to be changed regularly that most people usually neglect
- Plugs: 15,000km
- Air Filter 15,000km
- Petrol Filter 20,000km

If you don't travel much and won't reach that kind of mileage within a year's travel, change them after a year anyway, all these don't really cost much, air filter is only RM8 from Bosch, plugs are RM16 for 4 pieces, petrol filter is RM5, it does help in some way to keep the engine in tip top condition.

QUOTE(kicksense @ Sep 2 2008, 03:22 PM)
when u mod ur carb eng, like change UFO airfilter n exhaust system, sure more fuel consump. Changing sparkplug, put earth-grounding n volt stabilizer, will make ur car smooth n better (fuel consmp doesnt changed). Change to 13' rims n lowered abit. Sure u can clock better speed at the corner.

But for me, 660/850 carb kancil eng r not worth to mod. Plz dont waste ur money. Just go for L2 or L5 as this eng are not very exp. Around 3k should already in ur bay.
There's no point in using "UFO air filter" on the stock engine, stock air filter changed regularly would be good enough. Like I had mentioned, if the mod isn't too hard/expensive to do, it's worth to increase the response, of course if we are talking about modding fees touching RM1k and above, probably not worth it.

One thing I regret in doing is to change to 165/60R13 for my Kancil, it seemed to increased too much of a contact patch(no doubt handling is better) but the increased contact patch increases drag and increased the fuel consumption, probably the better idea is to get 155/65R13 as it will remain the same contact patch as the 12" tyres which is 155/70R12, i'm pretty sure it wasn't the increased weight of the 13" wheels as I have weighted both the stock 12" wheels and 13" wheels and they weigh the same as I'm using original Sparco NS-2 wheels, thus lighter in weight than most locally made 13" wheels.

This post has been edited by GRexer: Sep 2 2008, 05:40 PM
GRexer
post Sep 2 2008, 11:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
3,815 posts

Yes, it seems grounding makes a bigger impact on a smoother engine for this small little ride. Hm... I have yet to test any voltage stabilizers as it might cost too much(Pivot is around RM150 for the original one if not mistaken), unless someone is kind enough to lend me his unit for a test drive for like a week for evaluation purposes.

Not really sure about grounding cable with electronic, any brand or model? Maybe can google abit about it.

Yes, just shoot the CRC into the carb's mouth, but need to remove the whole air filter assembly(including the bottom piece) to have "full view" of the mouth, easier to do. the CRC is around RM20/bottle, quite a big bottle can use to clean throttle bodies also.

BTW, how come back to carby Kancil? Thought u had the Mira turbo? tongue.gif
GRexer
post Sep 3 2008, 12:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
3,815 posts

Well... of course a lot would say drop-in a L2/L5, it's really the cheap way to horsepower, but if want to make the car more responsive there's still a few things that can be done laugh.gif

The 850 engine is quite decent in it's own sense actually, if mine is the 850 version i'll probably just do a few simple mods and stick with the engine than transplanting, a lot easier for maintainence.

Supposedly there 12v Mira engine (EF-HL) has a dual throat carburettor which the secondary throat opens based on vacumm signal, but it's not plug and play on our stock Kancil's carby intake manifold, have to change the whole "top set"(cylinder head, intake manifold, carby, and I think also the exhaust manifold), which end up pretty expensive, RM400 for the engine kosong, installation and refreshing the set also comes up to RM700 but it's a noticable difference for the 850 engines.

Maybe you want to drive over to Fred(fstrader in ZeroToHundred) to check if he can work some of his magic on the stock Kancil carb? That fella carby sifu la.. biggrin.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:44 PM