Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Technical PlayStation 3 FAQ For Beginners | V2, General PS3 Q&A and Technical Disucssion

views

SSJBen
post Aug 18 2008, 02:34 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Yes, older versions of the PS3 - 60GB, 20GB, and 80GB(rev A) has backward compatibility of PS2 games.

However, there are some revisions like the 60GB-E which is for Europe only doesn't have BC for PS2 games.

The upcoming 80GB(rev B) will be exactly the same current 40GB PS3s(using the 2nd revision of 40GB sets however), so that means there'll be no PS2 BC as well.
SSJBen
post Aug 18 2008, 10:56 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(oyama @ Aug 18 2008, 06:35 PM)
want to ask!

is there any difference between normal wire DVI-HDMI compare to MONSTER CABLE® 400 that will cost around RM250??

major differences?

another thing is can PS3 support 4:3 tv? like the old tv reso? can aa?
Difference? Yea difference is only the cut-throat price. You go pick up a RM20 DVI-HDMI cable and you'll get the best possible picture quality from the cable already.

PS3 supports all ratio of displays. The bigger problem is that if the games have 4:3 support or not, most of them don't so you'll get letterbox(aka black bars). The PS3 also supports resolution of 480i all the way up to 1080p, so yes standard CRTs which only support 480i and 480p is supported.
SSJBen
post Aug 19 2008, 09:53 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

I'm using a RM15 HDMI cable that I got from Jalan Pasar, since 6 months ago it has been working perfectly fine. Has hooked it up to a few displays even, my monitor, my plasma and another of my friend's LCD, all no prob. No picture distortion, no signal loss, no audio corruption.

If you want to spend RM100 on a cable, feel free to do so. All I can say is that it is a big waste of money for nothing.
SSJBen
post Aug 19 2008, 09:49 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(wonderboy88 @ Aug 19 2008, 03:42 PM)
OK..this is for the DVI-HDMI cable..but is it the same for HDMI-HDMI cable?
price doesn't matters too? new here..sorry if i pointed out a stupid question..
please enlighten me.. nod.gif
Doesn't matter either way. DVI is also a digital signal.

While analog cables do matter, it doesn't mean it also justify buying Monster Component/S-Video/Composite and paying RM200 for it. At most, nothing more than RM50.
SSJBen
post Aug 23 2008, 01:37 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(syafeerul @ Aug 23 2008, 12:22 AM)
hye friends..need help here..
if i upgrade my hdd to 500G, can i partitioned that to let say 250G only for my ps3? then i can use another half as external drive whenever needed?is it possible?thanx
Uhmm what?

Its rather obvious that you cannot use an internal HDD as an external HDD at the same time.
You cannot partition the HDD whichever you want with the PS3 format utility.

Conclusion, not possible.

QUOTE(Lucifer_Light @ Aug 23 2008, 12:50 AM)
Hi, I also got a question.

I'm staying in Australia and the PS3 price in OZ is now AUD679 (~RM2040) which is about RM4000-7000 more than the price I can get in M'sia. So my question is... should I buy my PS3 in OZ or in M'sia.

I understand that if I use my PS3 for games... it's perfectly fine to get a SGP set, but if I'm using it as an entertainment system aka dvd/blu-ray player, I'll run into problems right??? Aussie is Region B, according to the faq on pg1. Izzit possible to change the region settings for the PS3 like how we can change the region settings for our laptops...

And then there is the issue of warranty as well...

So in the end... should I get my PS3 in SGP for a cheaper price or in OZ for a dearer price but with OZ warranties.

It's granted I'm getting all my accessories back home in M'sia. The pricing in OZ is killer... RM240 for DS3... ekk...

And on that note... I read on the faq that DS2 can be used through the USB hub... then wat is the use buying DS3. Shouldn't it function the same??
I don't understand what you mean by the price being RM4000-7000 more than you get in Malaysia. Obviously, if a PS3 cost that much then its a no brainer not to buy it.

It is impossible to change the region settings for the PS3, they are locked there innitially by hardware.

If you're worried about warranty, just get it in Aus. An SG set in Malaysia currently(the 40GB) is about RM1300-RM1400. You're paying an extra RM600 for that warranty alone. Personally, I'll just get a SG set in Malaysia here. Although the problem would arise when you want to watch movies. The solution of course is you can always buy region 1 blu-ray online.

The DS2 can only be used through a converter and to the USB port.
It doesn't function the same as the DS3. Basically, the DS3 has motion sensor controls. You're screwed out of luck if the game is strictly based on motion sensors, like fl0w and the upcoming fl0wer. There are also a couple of games which do use the motion sensors in gameplay, so you'll need a DS3 here.

Simply put, you need a DS3 to play properly with a PS3 game. Besides, I for-see that developers will start to use motion sensors more and more in a more succeptible way in the near future.

SSJBen
post Aug 23 2008, 09:36 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Wind1110 @ Aug 23 2008, 04:31 PM)
Guys, need some help here...anybody of u experiencing patch download error for Stranglehold: Chow Yun Fatt's game ? I've got an error during patch download.

Is this game compatible with DS3 vibration ?

Please advice. Thanks in advance guys.
Re-download the patch.

Last I checked, the Asian version of Stranglehold didn't have vibration yet but the US version did. Not sure now, should most probably already have since you said you need to download a patch to play it.

QUOTE(leenux @ Aug 23 2008, 09:14 PM)
after checking thru all the consoles couch sections and threads.. decided to go for PS3 (instead of the other 2 consoles for now) but hv these questions

a. Asia or Japan set recommended? most shops i asked all stocked with J sets.
b. any USB device (formatted to FAT32) can be used? eg. kingmax superstick
c. the USB device need to be safely removed (like pc) or just unplug like tat? (soreee.. hv to ask stupid qs)
d. rough/fair price for DS3 controller now? shops dun do trade-in for 6axis.. need to buy separately
e. what can i do with the 6axis after getting DS3? sweat.gif dun really play multiplayer games so dun nid extra controller
f. any shop where i can get the ps3 media remote control?
g. any other things i need to know? notworthy.gif

thank u.. thank u.. laugh.gif  laugh.gif

note: i read thru the FAQ here and other sites as well b4 i posted this smile.gif
a. Asia would mean a few different regions, it can be a SG set, HK set or even Taiwan set. Either way, go for a SG set. In that way, since Blu-Ray movies on sale here right now is Region 1, then it wouldn't be a problem to play it on a SG set. Furthermore, if really need to warranty(which I hope not) then it wouldn't be as big of a hassle as sending a Jap set back to Japan.

b. Yes, most if not all USB external storage can be used with the PS3 after its formatted with FAT32(which is the default format for all external storage anyway).

c. Make sure that theres no data transfering/copying to the PS3 or vice versa first, then you can just pull out your USB device.

d. Most shops selling DS3 for around RM160-RM180 now. Don't pay more than RM190 for a DS3 though.

e. You can use the SIXAXIS controller with your PC as a gamepad by downloading the SIXAXIS patch, google it up. wink.gif

f. Go to PS Zone, Gamers Solution or SCE. I'm sure one of them have the PS3 Blu-Ray media remote control.

g. What other things do you want to know? laugh.gif

Hope you get a great deal on your PS3! flex.gif

*EDIT*
b. RM1280 (40gb) cheapest i asked.. any better or im getting conned?

Didn't see you editing your post. tongue.gif

Anyways, Sony is releasing an upgrade to the current 40GB SKU next month. Which is essentially the same as the current 40GB version, just with an 80GB HDD and a DS3 instead of the SIXAXIS. So basically then, it will remedy your problem with having 2 controllers(one being useless in your case). The price should be about the same as the current 40GB version though, since Sony announced it officially as being the same.

RM1280 is a rather good deal, as many shops are selling within the RM1350-RM1400+ range.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Aug 23 2008, 10:07 PM
SSJBen
post Aug 24 2008, 03:34 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Ahh my mistake. That means it was the R3 version of Stranglehold having vibration.... strange.

Oh well, enjoy the game! biggrin.gif
SSJBen
post Aug 24 2008, 10:00 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

The standard cable which comes with the PS3 is Composite, which won't allow your PS3 to be in HD.

Check your LCD TV first, if it has HDMI input then you can grab a HDMI cable and connect it to your PS3. A HDMI cable's price will depend on the length you are buying, obviously the longer the more expensive it is.

A standard length is 1.5m, will cost you around RM30-50 at most. The more conventional 3m one(which majority of people uses) is around RM60-90.
SSJBen
post Aug 25 2008, 12:10 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Now it is possible, because the md5 hash for every update since 2.0 works for every PS3 region.

Still, keep an eye out. While I don't expect this to change, always check the md5 hash first before you update.
SSJBen
post Aug 25 2008, 05:26 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(GamersFamilia @ Aug 25 2008, 05:02 PM)
thanks...and what kindda external speakers seems the best ? edifier?
If you are using PC speakers, then theres too many to say which is the best. It'll come down to your budget range.

SSJBen
post Aug 25 2008, 08:59 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(leenux @ Aug 25 2008, 01:47 PM)
a. should i get a set now from shops or wait for the official launching here? unsure.gif any benefit apart from warranty?
b. 6axis controller can sell? how much shld i offer?
c. any 2.5" 500gb hdd here? thinking of maxing out the hdd sweat.gif
a. Neither. Wait for the new 80GB core pack, which will be priced the same as the current 40GB. Its already out in Australia, shouldn't be long before it comes over.
b. The new 80GB core pack comes with a DS3, no hassle for selling any unwanted SIXAXIS.
c. On this forum, I haven't seen one yet.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Aug 25 2008, 09:03 PM
SSJBen
post Aug 31 2008, 03:11 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(xphossis @ Aug 29 2008, 11:40 AM)
Guys, anyone place ur PS3 on top of a woofer before?

I'm worried will the woofer slight vibration or any magnetic field that will be harmful to the PS3?

Thank you!
Do you really need to place your PS3 on top of your woofer? It can be harmful to the HDD, the mechanical Blu-Ray lens and even in some extreme cases screw up the PS3's flash memory. This goes the same even if your woofer is magnetically shielded.

Place your PS3 somewhere atleast 2-3 feet away from your woofer if it is magnetically shielded, if not then place it as far away as possible and not on the same height level.

QUOTE(abulabu @ Aug 29 2008, 06:19 PM)
help me!!im still struggling in purchasing thru US psn...coz of billing details....i tried my real address and US city n postcode on it ...still not verified....whut shd i write??real address or US address....using Maybank Visa Debit card....
Can't really help you much with this, you can try Entropay though.

Anyone with experience in purchasing stuff through the US PSN should help this guy out(I'm looking at you Earthdome tongue.gif ).

QUOTE(MrBaka @ Aug 29 2008, 10:37 PM)
guys, when I first play Heavenly Sword, the audio is not sync with the cinematics..(mostly at beginning of the game). Is this normal or my lens got problem? other games is a okay.
Not sure about this one. Never did play Heavenly Sword before.

QUOTE(Borneo928 @ Aug 31 2008, 02:52 PM)
hey all!

i have a NTSC-jap ps3 set..and i want to update my ps3 using a usb...and there is a risk of bricking your ps3 if u dont do it the proper way. anyone mind telling me where should i download the system update from?
To be utmost safe, download from the Japan-PS3 site then.

While after FW 2.0, all of the firmwares so far has been exactly the same regardless of each region, just keep an eye out if anything changes.

SSJBen
post Sep 6 2008, 04:40 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(MrBaka @ Sep 6 2008, 02:19 PM)
my ps3 froze for the first time. so I ejected the disc first then force it shut down. (hold down the off button for a few sec)

is this scenario is normal for ps3? and it will it effect the ps3 hardware?
Usually this is just one of those rare moments when a PS3 overheats or the game "glitches" into a freezing your PS3.

Happened to me once as well when I played Uncharted, it glitched my PS3 and it froze. Restarted and never had a problem again.

SSJBen
post Sep 10 2008, 12:55 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(colt_508 @ Sep 10 2008, 09:10 AM)
too sad i don't have any external HDD...

so in order to transfer new HDD i have to buy external HDD(fat32) and a New HDD for ps3 right?
If you have any other external storage device, which is big enough you can use that too.

Even a thumbdrive will work. Just backup your saves, your PSN demos and games can be re-downloaded at any time.
SSJBen
post Sep 11 2008, 12:19 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(oyama @ Sep 11 2008, 08:18 AM)
guys! my glossy surface for ps3 seems got tiny2 scratches..how can i avoid it?

any guys know to find a tranparent sticker? like screen protector..but in a bigger size?
You buy GADWrap or SkinGuard for your PS3.

PS Zone does sell them IINM: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/470450
SSJBen
post Sep 11 2008, 01:32 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(dcorperation @ Sep 11 2008, 01:26 PM)
hi wanna ask....what difference does it make if i put my ps3 standing and laying down?
is there any?
Reports has suggested that laying the PS3 horizontal will have it at a lower internal temp.

Other than that, well.... you save space putting the PS3 vertical and IMO, it looks cooler that way biggrin.gif

Conclusion, put it anyway you see fit.
SSJBen
post Sep 12 2008, 09:23 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Yea thats the issue with the first 2 batches of the 60GB and 20GB PS3s. Originally, the PS3 only officially support up to a 250GB HDD. But because not long after the PS3 was launched, 320GB HDDs were already around.

Later on, the last batch of 60GB PS3s before the release of the 80GB PS3 fixed this issue.

It shouldn't spoil the HDD in the long run though, its just a matter of not being recognised by the PS3's XMB. Try re-installing the HDD again properly into the PS3 and make sure it fits snuggly, nothing moving about. I've heard that it could also be the SATA connector in the PS3 giving the prob.
SSJBen
post Sep 13 2008, 01:11 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(crossmaniac @ Sep 12 2008, 11:17 PM)
how to reset ps3 to factory setting..?
Go to: Settings > System Settings > Restore Default Settings

QUOTE(ruztynail @ Sep 12 2008, 11:54 PM)
really!!?? sigh.. i took it out and push it b in already. tight.. in short. jus somehow.. ai.. hopefully it doesnt come out too often.. haha
thanks mate!!! hope there is some firmware to fix this gua
Its still happening?

Well then, sorry I can't do much to help.
But I guess thats how it goes for Sony not overlooking small issues. So yea, lets hope theres a firmware fix for this which is already long overdue.
SSJBen
post Sep 15 2008, 10:42 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

I'm not exactly sure about the compatibility list of bluetooth Headphones with the PS3, but most should work. However do try out before purchasing.

And what do you mean by using a signal receiver on a LCD monitor? If you do mean a bluetooth receiver causing problems with your LCD monitor, then no. Obviously they are 2 different things and don't cause problems over one another. This isn't traditional IR of the old days(which is way back before the 2.4ghz we have now).
SSJBen
post Sep 15 2008, 08:43 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(malficient @ Sep 15 2008, 01:21 PM)
Hi,
some of my .AVI files can't be played in PS3..(ok in PC)
what kind of DIVX files can be play on PS3?
Not sure about your AVI files not being able to be played on your PS3. I've thrown every sort of AVI file on my PS3 and it plays them flawlessly.

PS3 can play any sort of divx files except the one encoded using DivX 3.11.

QUOTE(jasperng @ Sep 15 2008, 07:30 PM)
hey i just got to know that ps3 going to officially launch in malaysia on 20th sept ...!

they going to give rm 1000 cash voucher for the first 3 buyer !
they gonna release it in BU !...

erm ... is this version different from the current 1 ?
The major difference is the HDD. The launch model in Malaysia is the new Core-80GB model, essentially it is just the current 40GB with an 80GB HDD. You still do not get the PS2 BC, the memory card readers and the extra USB ports.

Other key technical changes is that this new Core-80GB is using the 65nm RSX. It also does have a slightly smaller PSU as well. Other than that, this core-80GB model doesn't use the same cooling setup as the earlier models in the 40GB(CECGH). It doesn't use heatpipe cooling, but rather just an entire sink sitting on the top and bottom of the Cell and RSX.

There are a few more technical differences, but should you want to know more, go ahead and PM me.

QUOTE(Mythras231 @ Sep 15 2008, 08:20 PM)
I wanna ask ... The HDD in PS3 won't be exactly 40GB rite for 40GB console ... And usually how much space will be takan by GAME SYSTEM AND SETTINGS ? Cause Basically my games are around 9-10GB...But I found out that around 8GB is gone ... I mean its in use but I don't seem to be able to find the source...
My PS3 System info shows that 23/37
Is that how we read it ? Need help urgently !!

Whats the proper way to close a Ps3 ?

Im currently ejecting the DVD on the menu screen...Then hold the controller's mid button...Then press shut down system...Wait till the status is red...Then I close the switch on the back ... Is it allright ?

How long can a PS3 stands ? 5 hours ?
Acougan already showed you the list. So yes, with 40GB what you have left is 31GB after formatting the HDD with your PS3.

Take out any disc in the PS3's Blu-Ray drive if you aren't going to play for the rest of the day, then just switch it off by using your controller or by just holding the power button on the PS3. Never flick the back switch off as a means of turning the PS3 off unless you absolutely have no choice.

The way you switch off your PS3 currently is basically the correct way. No problem.

Its hard to say how long a PS3 can be turned on at this point. There are people who have turned on their PS3 for months and thats without any problems. There are people who have played it for days straight and theres no problem. I myself have left my PS3 on for 36 hours straight playing MGS4, didn't have a problem. So the main thing is, place your PS3 in a well ventilated place, preferbly turn on your air-cond if you can as well.

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0406sec    0.16    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:55 AM