Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

OS Patching Windows when cannot access BSN website.

views

TSbsmohd
post Aug 12 2008, 11:48 AM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
290 posts

My company is paying the employees salary throught the BSN (Bank Simpanan Nasional) online website. The web url is as below:

https://www.bsnet.com.my/BSN/Login.jsp

Sometime, the website suddenly not accessable even when there's nothing wrong with the internet line. Other website is still accessable.

I've previously called BSN and talk to their IT person. According to them, the only thing that the user need is JAVA to be install in the pc.

My company is outsourcing the IT support. So everytime these things happen, we have to call the IT support and they will remote connect to our server and do patching on the server OS. They said from time to time microsoft will come out with new patches and the only way to resolve this issue is to patch the server OS.

What i dont understand is, when i call my other friends who is working in other company (big / small organisation), they are able to access BSN website. The cyber cafe downstairs also doesn't have this problem though i'm not sure whether they do update / patch their server from time to time. Even when i call those who's at home accessing the internet, they also can access the webite.

Few weeks ago, due to heat, some of the server's component spoilt, so our server cannot be run. So the internet line was straight connected to the network by-passing the server. Since then, there was not an incident where we cannot access the BSN website.

May someone help explaning the issue?

Thank you in advance guys. blush.gif
Wonka
post Aug 12 2008, 12:09 PM

U n k o ™
1,630 posts

if they asked u to download Java then try HERE
sotplug
post Aug 12 2008, 01:43 PM

The old noobie...
920 posts

Sounds more like bad server configuration.
Do they charge per service/patch?
If they do, then time to get suspicious.
TSbsmohd
post Aug 12 2008, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(sotplug @ Aug 12 2008, 01:43 PM)
Sounds more like bad server configuration.
Do they charge per service/patch?
If they do, then time to get suspicious.
Well, i'm actually on the 'suspicious' state at the moment. We do pay monthly maintenance BUT we did exclude few support items (including hardware) to reduce the monthly support fee.

Btw, can anyone be able to explain the patching process? or is it just run the microsoft update (website) and then choose the update we want just like the normal windows update?

Thanks again people blush.gif
eclectice
post Aug 12 2008, 02:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(bsmohd @ Aug 12 2008, 11:48 AM)
My company is paying the employees salary throught the BSN (Bank Simpanan Nasional) online website. The web url is as below:

https://www.bsnet.com.my/BSN/Login.jsp

Sometime, the website suddenly not accessable even when there's nothing wrong with the internet line. Other website is still accessable.

I've previously called BSN and talk to their IT person. According to them, the only thing that the user need is JAVA to be install in the pc.

My company is outsourcing the IT support. So everytime these things happen, we have to call the IT support and they will remote connect to our server and do patching on the server OS. They said from time to time microsoft will come out with new patches and the only way to resolve this issue is to patch the server OS.

What i dont understand is, when i call my other friends who is working in other company (big / small organisation), they are able to access BSN website. The cyber cafe downstairs also doesn't have this problem though i'm not sure whether they do update / patch their server from time to time. Even when i call those who's at home accessing the internet, they also can access the webite.

Few weeks ago, due to heat, some of the server's component spoilt, so our server cannot be run. So the internet line was straight connected to the network by-passing the server. Since then, there was not an incident where we cannot access the BSN website.

May someone help explaning the issue?

Thank you in advance guys.  blush.gif
WTF? What does your server at the office have to do with the Internet connection problem? Does they mean the server or the internet router?

A server is a device/dedicated machine that provides one or more application services to its clients (devices/machines that request a service from the server) in the the server-client fashion. The clients can be locally or remotely.

A few examples:
1) a web server provides the web services like HTTP (normal web pages), HTTPS (secured web pages) and web caches to the requesting web browsers (as the clients).
2) A SQL server provides the database store and handles SQL queries from the requesting SQL clients.

The Internet router (with modem capability) is supposed to do the job of connecting to the Internet. And, normally, the router firewall setting enables port 80 (for HTTP protocol) and port 443 (for HTTPS protocol) to pass through by default. So, it is not the job of an application server to do Internet connectivity. This router can be a small device or can come with a dedicated box to handles firewall rules. Usually, the connection diagram will be like below:

Internet <---> router (gateway) <--> firewall (optional) <--> internal network (LAN with switches/hubs)

Normally, IT support company makes more money maintaining the firewall updates, anti-virus updates and application updates. But, seldom will they touch other things that work fine and seldom break most of the time like a router or hubs or switches and internal LAN network setup.

It is seldom to keep maintaining the router. Most of the time, Internet connectivity problems occur in various reasons like ISP (TM or Jaring) is having problem at the PO centers, lightning (this rarely causes a problem in commercial buildings), loose cables and adapters, etc. It is easy to maintain router without asking for a third-party to do it.

What becomes so strange is that you are able to access other websites (so this is not Internet or router issue). It is just that there is a problem with BSN server which is hosting the secured HTTPS webfolders/webpages at www.bsnet.com.my (which this problem has nothing to do with your server at the office.)

This post has been edited by eclectice: Aug 12 2008, 03:16 PM
TSbsmohd
post Aug 12 2008, 06:27 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

Thanks eclectice for your explanation. Appreciate it very much. notworthy.gif

Well, it seems that my company is being taken advantage by this IT support company i guess. I notice everytime this thing happen, they'll always recomend 'this' or 'that' to solve this issue, ofcourse that means that the monthly maintenance fee would be increase.

May anyone can suggest / recommend other IT support company? Freelancer also very much welcome.

Back to this issue, so i guess the next time this thing happen, i better check the router prot setting right?

Thank you in advance people. thumbup.gif

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:18 PM