Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Jayacom - Buyer Beware

kwackers
post Aug 4 2008, 03:28 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I've been looking for an MSI Wind U100 after reading a lot of positive reviews on it online. Found one unit on display at Jayacom, 3rd floor Low Yat Plaza:

user posted image

user posted image

The specs listed next to the display model clearly stated that it was a U100 with a 10" LCD screen and 1GB of RAM. Paid for it with my credit card, including the 2% processing fee and went home.

When I was installing Windows, I thought the screen looked kind of small, so I measured it and found it was only 8.9" In addition, the RAM only showed up as 512 megs. Did a search online and found out that the model they had sold me was the U90 instead of the U100.

Flipped it over and the sticker underneath confirmed that it was the U90.

I'm sure a lot of you are going to say that it was my responsibility to ensure that I was getting the exact product that I wanted, and I agree.

BUT, anyone who saw the unit on display at Jayacom would have made exactly the same mistake I did. The model number isn't listed on the product anywhere except underneath. And the whole time I was dealing with the shop manager, she never once specified that the model I was getting wasn't the U100 as described on the specs card next to the display unit. I asked specifically for the U100, and she sold me the U90 instead.

In fact, when I went back to Jayacom last night to complain, they sold another U90 to a buyer. I tried to warn him, but he was in a rush so he just paid for it. Today, he was back at Jayacom again to complain that they sold him the wrong unit.

What do you think? Honest mistake or fraudulent business practices?

Lesson learned -- make sure you're getting the exact model you want before you make the purchase. Check the model number, measure the screen size and make them power on the unit to confirm that it has exactly the RAM amount listed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eye
post Aug 4 2008, 03:35 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

u have a receipt? the receipt specified the amount paid plus the specs? demand a immediate replacement or refund.
+Quote Post
kwackers
post Aug 4 2008, 03:50 PM

Getting Started

Just to let you know how I resolved the situation:

1. Went back to Jayacom last night (I had purchased the MSI Wind on Saturday, the 2nd) and explained what happened. Showed them the receipt and asked for either a U100 in exchange for the U90 or a refund.

The guy's response: The model number was clearly listed on the receipt, so I knew exactly what I was getting.

2. He claimed that the transaction had already cleared, so they couldn't cancel it.

Called my credit card company TODAY, and they said that the transaction was still in float, so the merchant could still cancel it if they wanted to.

3. Went back again today, and they agreed to give me a cash refund, but they refused to refund me the 2% credit card processing fee.

I told them this was unacceptable and I would dispute the charge with my credit card company if I needed to.

4. I told them they had cheated me and that I would lodge a report with the Malaysian Consumer Tribunal (I got the idea from reading this forum entry).

They finally gave in and gave me a cash refund, including the 2% credit card processing fee.

The whole time I was there today, they still had the specs card beside the display unit, falsely advertising that it was a U100. If it was an honest mistake, then why didn't they change the model number and specs after I complained the first time last night? How many more units of the U90 did they sell to people who thought they were getting the U100?

I don't know if it was a genuine mistake, or if they were taking advantage of people in order to get rid of the lower-specced MSI Wind model, but either way I wouldn't buy anything from them again.
+Quote Post
kwackers
post Aug 4 2008, 03:54 PM

Getting Started

eye: The receipt only listed the model number. And it was something like U90234C34L23, so the model number wasn't even clearly stated in the receipt. No specs.

Again, I accept responsibility for not checking the model number, and not making sure the specs were exactly the ones I was looking for. However, I still suspect they're trying to unload their stock of U90s by conning people into thinking they're buying a U100.

QUOTE(eye @ Aug 4 2008, 03:35 PM)
u have a receipt? the receipt specified the amount paid plus the specs? demand a immediate replacement or refund.
+Quote Post
fkinmeng
post Aug 5 2008, 01:58 PM

Regular

i also kena cheat by them.. i bought it last saturday. That time i very rush cause the shop wan close edi around 8 50pm. They put the label selling u100.
Sien... Later i will go ask for full refund or buy other model..Wish me luck...Huhu
+Quote Post
vivick
post Aug 5 2008, 02:32 PM

YA bro its really screwed up man. And dont worry its not your responsibility to turn the laptop around and check the model number. For those who tell that its his responsibility to do so, are just god forsaken stupid people, because those people are the ones who make us the consumer lose our power. WE ARE THE ONES PAYING SO WE SHOULD BE RESPECTED AND FEARED vmad.gif
+Quote Post
Nyxator
post Aug 5 2008, 02:41 PM

Getting Started

Yes Vivick is right...

Thanks for the heads up too.

One little con job, can say bye bye to their business, totally dishonest.

No customer will trust them again because I won't.

This post has been edited by Nyxator: Aug 5 2008, 02:42 PM
+Quote Post
super_evil_alien
post Aug 7 2008, 08:30 PM

Slumber Mode

All of you should gang up and go to the shop to ask for replacement.
+Quote Post
hongling1
post Aug 7 2008, 11:39 PM

Getting Started

last time bought a samsung lcd with them, tested at ly plaza no problem, but when going back the lcd screen is bleeding badly, next day i took it back, 1st the junior staff test for me, then wait for another senior staff test for me, and lastly another senior test with me again, after tat jus change a new 1 for me, whole process take about 1 and half hour. is tat nessasary? will the lcd recover if u test more than 1 time?
+Quote Post
super macgyver
post Aug 9 2008, 07:22 PM

★~13k Spam Club~★

kwackers, wat is ur feedback on IT retail at lyp level 3? Did u manage to solve ur case at there last year? coz alwiz forget to ask u of it when i saw u scold them last year with ur GF.
+Quote Post
kwackers
post Aug 11 2008, 12:07 PM

Getting Started

super macgyver: Not sure what was the issue I had with IT retail. Probably had to do with a sales guy. Their management has usually been pretty good about helping to resolve any problems, especially that consultant they had working there before...Ronald something.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0732sec    3.53    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 03:12 PM