Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies X-MEN: Movies/TV Series Discussion Thread, Next: Apocalypse (2018) | New TV Series!

views

n00b13
post Feb 5 2011, 10:13 PM

Casual
364 posts

QUOTE(g5sim @ Feb 4 2011, 01:39 PM)
i wasnt aware that there was a stripper in the XMen midst.
You don't know much about the X-Men then. laugh.gif

n00b13
post May 31 2011, 06:16 PM

Casual
364 posts

QUOTE(Mgsrulz @ May 31 2011, 05:30 PM)
Matthew Vaughn wei! laugh.gif how can you NOT like this? tongue.gif
Stardust was crap.
n00b13
post May 31 2011, 10:07 PM

Casual
364 posts

QUOTE(ray148 @ May 31 2011, 09:24 PM)
eh? no it's not.
It is if you've read the novel. So, so, so much was left out, outright changed, and generally made dumber.

n00b13
post Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM

Casual
364 posts

I'm surprised no one mentioned this about the movie: it's utterly predictable. You know how it's going to end already, and there's absolutely no surprise. Even the superpowers are stuff we've seen before, and not particularly cool (and since these are all young versions of the characters, they don't even know how to use their powers well).

I liked it just fine, it was still enjoyable. But it's definitely not the best X-Men movie - that's still X2 for me.
n00b13
post Jun 13 2011, 01:23 PM

Casual
364 posts

QUOTE(sickx @ Jun 13 2011, 12:52 PM)
all superhero movies are like this lah.very predictable.
Not at all. The Dark Knight was not predictable. X2 was not predictable. Most movies are not predictable, except in the very broad sense that the good guys must win and the bad guys must lose.

QUOTE(sickx @ Jun 13 2011, 12:52 PM)
plus,this is a movie that tells you the story of how xmen starts so basically we all know the ending already.
And that's the problem with X-Men: First Class. It's predictable in very specific ways. Even as Charles and Erik are becoming buddies, you already know they will later turn to enemies. Even as you're watching Mystique struggle with her self-image, you know she's going to join Magneto. We already know what all their powers are, and none of it is new - Azazel = Nightcrawler, Havok = Cyclops, Angel = Angel (Warren Worthington version), etc. And we already know how the Cuban Missile Crisis ended.

No surprise means boring laa.
n00b13
post Jun 13 2011, 06:03 PM

Casual
364 posts

QUOTE(koolspyda @ Jun 13 2011, 05:48 PM)
it's a prequel, of course no one would expect charles & eric to be any different, your anology of it being 'predictable' contradicts your own accessment.
And that's the problem with prequels as a whole. It doesn't excuse anything. There is the rare prequel that isn't predictable - I thought Infernal Affairs II is a good example - but this one isn't it.

QUOTE(koolspyda @ Jun 13 2011, 05:48 PM)
let alone we also KNOW what will happen to batman when bane comes into the 3rd installment of batman. so it predictable storyline.
rclxub.gif 
Bad example, dude. There's been no confirmation so far that The Dark Knight Rises is going to adapt the Knightfall storyline.

n00b13
post Jun 14 2011, 05:12 PM

Casual
364 posts

The example I gave was Internal Affairs II. It shows us that two characters who were enemies in the first movie used to be friends. That's surprising, and it makes us want to find out what happened to turn them into enemies.

In X-Men: First Class, we already know these two friends are going to become enemies. And we pretty much also know why. So why bother telling that story?

But honestly, the Charles-Erik friendship is the least of its problems. A bigger one is how it shows the world dealing with the mutant problem, which is exactly the same way the first movie showed it. In X2 and X3, the problem got worse and the mutant-human conflict grew larger. In First Class, the problem is just starting - and by the way, in X-Men (2000), the problem was also just starting.

Yes, it's about the journey not the destination, but here, the journey itself is predictable.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0318sec    0.35    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:57 PM