Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Looking for an amp for my Rega ELA floorstander, Audiolab/Arcam/Creek/Sudgen ?

views

PcWork
post Aug 3 2008, 01:45 PM

Audio Phreak
6,477 posts

QUOTE(InF.anime @ Jul 23 2008, 12:01 AM)
My uncle have one set of Rega ELA floorstand too, they are very fast and have good soundstaging, and the bass is bass-right rather than really deep. With the right amp they sound so alive with all types of music, very realistic, agile and dynamic. He told me the old style Ela Mk 1 or Mk 2 (ie pre Ela 2000), are better sounding than any new speaker under £2000 he can think of. The recent models are rather different sounding. The originals are fast, have the most fabulous treble and mid-range (vocals are wonderful) and have realistic bass rather than the artificially 'impressive' boosted mid-bass of so many modern ported speakers. They are easy to drive with a small integrated. Dom's Nait/Ela combination is a classic and you have to spend about x3-5 more to get a really significant improvement.
They will wipe the floor with a set of budget speakers, because those early ELA's are the best speaker Rega have ever made!!
tested on the speaker. i think the bass it has is just nice. and needed high current to drive it although has high sensitivity. else it will has seriously bright sounding.
paring it with SCP also a big no no.
i tested it with cable talk 4 / QED XT350.and found that cable talk 4 sound much more nicer in this speaker.
bass is ok for me as i tested it in a room where i place the speaker quite near to back wall (estimated around 30-40cm away)

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Jul 24 2008, 05:32 PM)
Congrats on the purchase! thumbup.gif
I think the bass driver is a 'lil bit too small.. how's the bass reproduction?
more than enough for the bass. nice vocal. tend to be slightly thin for my taste. but nice on detail, and the airy feeling. super wide sound stage, but congested when a lot of information were played, like some songs where a lot of instrument were playing at same time. it sounds slightly congested. then the depth of the sound stage is not truly superior. but much better than BR2 imho.

QUOTE(yehlai @ Jul 31 2008, 01:14 PM)
Hi guy, found another speaker looks alike Rega ELA,
tweeter, woofer and speaker body very similar to Mk1.75 and Mk2

Naim IBL
http://hifi4sale.blogspot.com/2008/07/naim-ibl-speaker.html

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image But wht is this? so big chunk
that;s cross over box.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled