Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need opinion on renovation issue..., Concerning neighbours

views

TSkevyeoh
post Jul 14 2008, 06:05 PM, updated 16y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,510 posts

Hi all,

Got a small issue here.... just wanna get everyone's input...
at my hometown...when you wanna renovate your house and do brick fencing...usually on the neighbours' side...you just leave it as it is.... means you can still see the brick...

but apparently at some other place... you have to pay for your neighbour's side as well to cover up the brick and paint for them as well...that will cost about RM600 at least/side....

so actually what's the general guideline on this? What do you guys know bout this? Should neighbour pay if they want to make their side looks nicer?
Or should we pay for them?

the way my 'new' neighbour says...we have to pay for them if we decide to do the brick wall fence...

thanks....
fahrur_07
post Jul 14 2008, 06:35 PM

~unite against racism~
1,273 posts

i think you just leave it on your neighbour side, no need to paint etc.. rclxms.gif
TSkevyeoh
post Jul 14 2008, 06:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,510 posts

fahrur_07,
if we leave it that way, can kena sue court case ar?

actually we are already paying for the cost of building up the fence... and we just try to nego with neighbour if they are ok to just subsidize a bit to plaster the brick and paint so their side look nicer...but neighbour straight away (an old lady lar)... cakap cakap cakap and say their law there is the one who build pay for all... kekeke...

This post has been edited by kevyeoh: Jul 14 2008, 06:50 PM
scorgio
post Jul 14 2008, 08:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,570 posts

Ur neighbour is under no obligation to assist you in any manner with regards to your renovation works.

So if you insist on doing side fencing wall, you have to bear the cost.

Don't hope/wish that ur neighbour would help you. Even if he/she agrees to help, it's purely out of goodwill. Not bcos the law or local custom said so.
aaronpang
post Jul 14 2008, 08:20 PM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

Dun expect your neighbors to pay for your renovations... where I live all the walls are plastered and painted. No one erect an unfinished wall.

At the same try to remember you'll be living with the person next door for years to come... try not upsetting them.

Maybe you could adopt a brick wall style so you don't have to paint or plaster anything. tongue.gif
TSkevyeoh
post Jul 14 2008, 10:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,510 posts

ok ok...got it... i agree that for the amount of RM500, it's not worth having dispute with neighbour... it's just the way the neighbour rudely reply to us and demand us to cover up his side portion that makes my mom pissed off... smile.gif we were asking only and not finalize yet whether wanna do the wall or not...

aaron,
at my current place, my two neighbours...one erect the wall and just plaster and paint on his side... nothing to do with me...just my observation... wink.gif that's why i ask this lor...

thanks guys...

This post has been edited by kevyeoh: Jul 14 2008, 10:59 PM
tinkerbel
post Jul 14 2008, 10:59 PM

Fanaddict!
Group Icon
VIP
13,469 posts

@kevyeoh,
If U want to do it, do it properly and for Ur neighbour too! If he doesn't want to subsidise the cost then U just have to bite it. Alternatively, grow a plant there smile.gif
scorgio
post Jul 14 2008, 11:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,570 posts

QUOTE(kevyeoh @ Jul 14 2008, 10:56 PM)
at my current place, my two neighbours...one erect the wall and just plaster and paint on his side... nothing to do with me...just my observation... wink.gif  that's why i ask this lor...
It seems u're shifting into a place with rather particular neighbours. Good luck.

Btw, what's the dimention of the wall?

I'd assume it's 20ft long, 5ft tall for a total of 100ft².

If my assumption is right, plaster + paint on 1 side of a 100ft² wall for RM500 is very very expensive.
TSkevyeoh
post Jul 15 2008, 12:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,510 posts

yeah... the new neighbours are ok la...just that one old lady like more aggressive...hehe...

ur assumption is more or less quite right... what's the market price if it's not RM500?

scorgio
post Jul 15 2008, 12:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,570 posts

QUOTE(kevyeoh @ Jul 15 2008, 12:09 AM)
ur assumption is more or less quite right... what's the market price if it's not RM500?
Cement - RM16
Sand - RM20
White cement - RM10
Labour - RM70
Paint - RM25

This is roughly the cost price, RM140.
gilabola
post Jul 15 2008, 01:09 AM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(kevyeoh @ Jul 14 2008, 06:05 PM)
Hi all,

at my hometown...when you wanna renovate your house and do brick fencing...usually on the neighbours' side...you just leave it as it is.... means you can still see the brick...

but apparently at some other place... you have to pay for your neighbour's side as well to cover up the brick and paint for them as well...that will cost about RM600 at least/side....

so actually what's the general guideline on this? What do you guys know bout this? Should neighbour pay if they want to make their side looks nicer?

the way my 'new' neighbour says...we have to pay for them if we decide to do the brick wall fence...

thanks....
Check with the municipal council for your area. If i'm not mistaken, it is part of DBKL's conditions when you get a renovation permit that both sides of the wall be cemented & painted
finn@renoku
post Jul 15 2008, 11:49 AM

14 posts

I think it's only proper for one to do up the neighbour's side of the wall too (with their permission of course). After all, who wanted the wall should have the courtesy to consider their neighbours' opinions.

In my case, I replaced the side wire fencing on both left and right sides with a brick wall. Also, plastered and painted both neighbours' wall. smile.gif
jootat
post Jul 16 2008, 05:28 PM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(kevyeoh @ Jul 14 2008, 06:05 PM)
Hi all,

thanks....
If it only cost you RM 600, just do it la ... so small matter want to bring to court case meh? the fees you pay lawyer also much higher than this.
in fact, before you do it, you should have discuss with your neighbour first. Normally the neighbour will agree to do it together because can save some money. Unless your neighbour are in tight budget ... then no choice lo ...

Just put yourself in your neighbour shoes and show some empathy la ... what would you feel if you are your neighbour ... smile.gif

neighbour should maintain a good relationships ... you will never know when you will need their help ... that's just my point of view la anyway .... icon_idea.gif
TSkevyeoh
post Jul 16 2008, 10:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,510 posts

ok ok...case close....
i agree .... RM500 is ok...and actually we also just ask our neighbour's opinion and we don't have problem if they insist they don't want to pay... we never ask them to pay also...we started asking... we plan to do wall fence, are you interested to share just to cover the plaster and paint while we pay for the other cost?...
but the old lady straight away rudely tell us that we have to do for them and it's a must .... like ordering us...

it's only that the old lady neighbour started to shout and say things to us aggresively ... then come back...think think... not satisfied... so just ask opinion here only...

thanks... can close this thread dee.....

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.89    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:57 PM