Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

HOW TO DETERMINE THE MORNING SUN, when buying house

views

TStictactoe
post Jul 6 2008, 03:04 PM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
152 posts

hi...
as far as i know (correct me if i'm wrong), morning sun is more prefered rather than evening sun as evening sun can make your house hot at nite...

so, i wanna ask, how to determine that our house (main door, windows, balcony etc) is facing morning sun or evening sun...

tq.
ceo684
post Jul 6 2008, 03:05 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,542 posts

Sun rises in the east mah.. based on the layout plan
michanz
post Jul 6 2008, 03:07 PM

How Liddat?
1,224 posts

go to the hse during morning and evening and see la..
harrychoo
post Jul 6 2008, 04:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,589 posts

bring compass
n73me
post Jul 6 2008, 06:58 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(harrychoo @ Jul 6 2008, 04:13 PM)
bring compass
biggrin.gif yup, better than guessing ....
dreamer101
post Jul 7 2008, 02:14 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,855 posts

QUOTE(tictactoe @ Jul 6 2008, 03:04 PM)
hi...
as far as i know (correct me if i'm wrong), morning sun is more prefered rather than evening sun as evening sun can make your house hot at nite...

so, i wanna ask, how to determine that our house (main door, windows, balcony etc) is facing morning sun or evening sun...

tq.
tictactoe,

1) Most NEW houses are designed to face south and north. So, they avoided all those facing sun problem.

2) Visit the house in the afternoon to find out where the house is TOO HOT in the afternoon.

Dreamer
aaronpang
post Jul 7 2008, 10:49 AM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

True just to add from personal experience corner lot houses can still get very hot even if they face North or South.

Corner units have walls that face East or West and these walls act as a thermal store capturing heat in the day and radiating heat at night.

My aunts house corner lot had to install several poly and tile roof to keep sunlight away from the walls sweat.gif
johnsonm
post Jul 7 2008, 11:00 AM

Getting Started
274 posts

actually it is best to take a drive there in the morning, and in the evening, to see exactly where the sun hits. also, do note that the angle of the sunlight changes every 6 months, so you might not have evening sun right now, but you might after a few months.
TStictactoe
post Jul 7 2008, 03:09 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

tq fren for your kind responses...

btw, wanna ask, is there any way to avoid heat at nite (caused by evening sun)

maybe need to install awning?
tinted the sliding door/windows?
alwiz close the curtain?
etc etc...

any experiences from u?

tq.
johnsonm
post Jul 7 2008, 03:24 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

the unit directly opposite mine gets direct evening sun. they have put in some sort of sponge insulation covered with aluminium foil over the WHOLE window to block the heat. looks horrible but in theory should work right? anyway its not them who has to look at it, its me smile.gif
TStictactoe
post Jul 8 2008, 02:09 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

hi...
i just bought house... facing morning sun.. smile.gif
firesphere
post Jul 8 2008, 06:10 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(tictactoe @ Jul 7 2008, 03:09 PM)
tq fren for your kind responses...

btw, wanna ask, is there any way to avoid heat at nite (caused by evening sun)

maybe need to install awning?
tinted the sliding door/windows?
alwiz close the curtain?
etc etc...

any experiences from u?

tq.
Stupid semi-d get the sun no matter what so I'm forced to tint my window. My room is facing directly to the East so I have to tint it. I like dark room so my tint's only allow 5% light transmission. and my curtain has a blackout layer. If you're normal human prefer normal light source without switching on your light in the middle of the day, pick a tint that's around 15%-35% light transmission. Curtain just use normal linen backdrop will do. Blackout is like hotel, most people hates it cept me and my other half.

Heat, the curtain guy told me blackout helps but I've no idea if it really works on reducing heat so just pick a tint with high heat transmission say at least around 60%-70%. My aircond is running at 20C with 1 fan speed only most of the time and the temperature is cool. If I want chilling effect I just need to up the fan speed. But heat transmission is a double edged effect so if you are not using any air conditioner or power's out, don't do any heat generating activity.
muscaa
post Jul 9 2008, 09:38 PM

Regular
1,222 posts

install air cond and you wont bother whether the house facing east or west anymore icon_rolleyes.gif
scorgio
post Jul 9 2008, 11:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,570 posts

QUOTE(tictactoe @ Jul 6 2008, 03:04 PM)
hi...

tq.
For the 1st question. It won't matter if the house's a bungalow. tongue.gif Cos for sure one section kena morning sun, one section kena evening sun.

For the 2nd question, bring a compass lah.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    1.00    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:46 PM