views

TSah_suknat
post Jul 1 2008, 01:40 AM, updated 16y ago

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

I read this article

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

is this true?

because I am now in a dilemma, I had 2 choices to make, it goes like this.

I wanted to buy a land and build a house from scratch. I got 2 choices, Land A is an 1 acre land within an ongoing developing housing area, the price is 80k per acre, my plan for this land is to build a house in the land and hold the remaining land for long term investment, or may be build a terrace house and sell it.

Land B is 1/4 acre size land situated on a hill side, overlooking the town of Ranau(quite a nice serene,peacefull view), the price of the land is 30k, my plan for the land is to distribute half of it for my house and another half to build another detached house for investment purpose. but this land is quite deserted from housing area, more like a chalet/ holiday house.

the distance between the 2 land mentioned is just around 15 minuite drive.

should I choose A or B? or take both? I prefer land B for own stay because of the nice view and peacefull surrounding, but quite small, while land A MIGHT yield a higher investment return.(according to the article)

I had enough money to take both of the land, but that will leave me no money to build a house for the time being, but I am not in a rush to build a house, but the rising cost of raw material is pushing me. I am noob in property investment, if you need to ask more please do so.smile.gif

any advice? thanks in advance. smile.gif
aaronpang
post Jul 1 2008, 02:42 PM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

Material costs already rise so there isn't much you can do about it... if you wanted to save on building materials cost you should have started construction earlier (at least a year back).

Or you could build a traditional wooden house without steel or cement... brows.gif (silly idea I know sorry).

Take the article with a pinch of salt, as a general rule of thumb it's true but you'll need to evaluate each property on a case by case basis.

The location of the property is important just because the article says apartment has better rental doesn't always ring true.

Also the smaller hill side plot could make it difficult to start construction, if the land is angled too steep the ground needs to be leveled. moneyflies.gif moneyflies.gif

There is also the risk the hill side might not be suitable for building construction and you can't get permission to build.

In addition because it's going to be rental for vacation etc the income stream might not be constant but fluctuating shakehead.gif

My money is with the larger plot hmm.gif or should I say your money teehee.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Jul 1 2008, 02:45 PM
tinkerbel
post Jul 1 2008, 04:58 PM

Fanaddict!
Group Icon
VIP
13,469 posts

U also need to check with the authorities on license and permit to build a 2nd property on that same land.
TSah_suknat
post Jul 1 2008, 05:46 PM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

do we need permission to build houses in own private land? rclxub.gif its a "geran besar" land, I don't know what it means. sweat.gif but my father says it can be sold to chinese as well that's why its expensive.
aaronpang
post Jul 1 2008, 06:51 PM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(tinkerbel @ Jul 1 2008, 04:58 PM)
U also need to check with the authorities on license and permit to build a 2nd property on that same land.
You're right it could be agriculture land... or something else... hmm.gif

QUOTE(ah_suknat @ Jul 1 2008, 05:46 PM)
do we need permission to build houses in own private land? rclxub.gif its a "geran besar" land, I don't know what it means. sweat.gif but my father says it can be sold to chinese as well that's why its expensive.
First time I'm hearing of "geran besar", you sure it's an actual geran for the land and not TOL?

I remember long ago some folks in my kampong (JB) got scammed into buying TOL land thinking it will later be converted to POL laugh.gif laugh.gif

If you're in a city, town, or anywhere that has a Majilis Perbandaran you'll need permission to build a house.

Unless the land your land is deep in the jungle no roads, running water or electricity then by all means go ahead and build whatever you want tongue.gif

Better yet hire a lawyer to oversee the sale and perform due diligence before committing to purchase.
TSah_suknat
post Jul 1 2008, 07:42 PM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

ah just now my dad called and said Land A had been grab by developer, damn fast! they took all 6 acres of land. sad.gif

had to find another 1 now, my dad will go and see the owner for Land B(hill side one) tomorrow and discuss the conditions and the title. will update here tomorrow. smile.gif

thanks ya aaron and tinker.

Added on July 1, 2008, 7:44 pmby the way, what are the types of land and titles? like what Is CL title etc etc? any websites for it?

This post has been edited by ah_suknat: Jul 1 2008, 07:44 PM
tinkerbel
post Jul 1 2008, 09:06 PM

Fanaddict!
Group Icon
VIP
13,469 posts

@ah_suknat,
If U can get a land in the middle of where the developer has bought then muAHahAH get it and sell it to the developer tongue.gif

I also believe if U haf 1 land title, U can only build 1 house on it; U will need to make application to buid a 2nd house on it isn't it?

This post has been edited by tinkerbel: Jul 1 2008, 09:07 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0118sec    0.95    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:44 AM