Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Making quick bucks with Recycling?, Is it feasible?

views

TSJordy
post Jun 27 2008, 11:08 PM, updated 8y ago

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

Guys, I have been a freak collector of aluminium, paper, plastics and cardboards, up to a point where my house was a total dump! tongue.gif
It took me and 2 more guys to move those "wastes" and earn a neat amount of pocket money.
So, I have been thinking if this is a viable business, to set up a recyclables collection centre and trade them off for some quick profits.
It seems that our country is not really as environment-friendly as Western countries, where you would see recyclable bins everywhere.
So, instead of just dumping them all away, why not give all the households a chance to earn some pocket money as well.
I know it might be ugly or uncomfortable for most households to stack up on recyclable wastes, so factoring out this, is this business still feasible?
Please, I need to hear some opinion and suggestions to help me make a better decision. So, if you have any friends or personally has been in this business, please do share your thought. Thank you for your precious time smile.gif
SUSDavid83
post Jun 27 2008, 11:10 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Don't underestimate recycling. Some recycling material is expensive and you could earn for living.

Those aunties at my apartment are collecting recycling material for sale - paper, plastic, aluminium, steel/iron.
adioz88
post Jun 27 2008, 11:16 PM

Enthusiast
791 posts

make it your habits
here at alor star, aluminium can is RM4.80 per Kg
Make it habits so you will feel it just like helping to reduce using new material from earth.

Me, when got practical in wiring .
I collect some cable that someone left that and dont want it.
Just small amount
And on the last day , i count it.
6 month practical, i collect more than 10kg of copper cable.
I tear it off, left the copper itself.
Sell at besi buruk, RM20 per Kg
I manage to get more than RM200

TSJordy
post Jun 27 2008, 11:22 PM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

Wow, very quick replies guys!
I know the "power" of collecting recyclables, because my house is actually a small "dump" for my mom's friends' recyclables.
So I thought, instead of focusing on this small community, I could target a larger area with high density.
I am worried though about the time required for each households to "replenish" their wastes. It could mean no income for me for months!
Is there a suggestion on how I can overcome this, and make this business a money earner? smile.gif
small-jeff
post Jun 27 2008, 11:41 PM

Regular
1,646 posts

erm..start a company, get some capital out. provide waste bins free for households in a selected area and request them to separate recyclable items, collect them weekly, and pay them.

i've once thought of doing recycling busisness...but...too much of capital needed.
WaCKy-Angel
post Jun 27 2008, 11:43 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(Jordy @ Jun 27 2008, 11:08 PM)
Guys, I have been a freak collector of aluminium, paper, plastics and cardboards, up to a point where my house was a total dump! tongue.gif
It took me and 2 more guys to move those "wastes" and earn a neat amount of pocket money.
So, I have been thinking if this is a viable business, to set up a recyclables collection centre and trade them off for some quick profits.
It seems that our country is not really as environment-friendly as Western countries, where you would see recyclable bins everywhere.
So, instead of just dumping them all away, why not give all the households a chance to earn some pocket money as well.
I know it might be ugly or uncomfortable for most households to stack up on recyclable wastes, so factoring out this, is this business still feasible?
Please, I need to hear some opinion and suggestions to help me make a better decision. So, if you have any friends or personally has been in this business, please do share your thought. Thank you for your precious time smile.gif
Loads of small recyclers out there, they usually get from end users then sell it to larger recycler factory.
What makes u think u can be success?
U must have either very good marketing strategy, or alot of capital to sustain the slow starting.
TSJordy
post Jun 28 2008, 12:26 AM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(small-jeff @ Jun 27 2008, 11:41 PM)
erm..start a company, get some capital out. provide waste bins free for households in a selected area and request them to separate recyclable items, collect them weekly, and pay them.

i've once thought of doing recycling busisness...but...too much of capital needed.
If I place public bins there, how would I know who has contributed and who to pay? wink.gif
Capital wise, is not a problem because I have them ready.
Just waiting for the time and the plan smile.gif

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Jun 27 2008, 11:43 PM)
Loads of small recyclers out there, they usually get from end users then sell it to larger recycler factory.
What makes u think u can be success?
U must have either very good marketing strategy, or alot of capital to sustain the slow starting.
Hi, thank you for being direct smile.gif
I agree that there are small recyclers out there, even those that run on lorries.
How much do they pay you per kg of old newspaper? 15cents? 16cents? Or even more?
I can sell them for 22cents per kg. Well, to be honest, I don't know how is this compared to those lorry recyclers.
What I know is, if that area has no other competitors, and if only one lorry is servicing that whole area, do you think it is viable?
No one would want to travel far just to get a few bucks, so I literally "bring it closer to them".
There are a few places I know that has very high density, but no recyclers in sight.
Also, I have not seen any lorry-screaming recyclers around that area during my random visits.
Sure, you might say they went when I wasn't there. I will ask the residents around there to verify smile.gif
small-jeff
post Jun 28 2008, 12:45 AM

Regular
1,646 posts

QUOTE(Jordy @ Jun 28 2008, 12:26 AM)
If I place public bins there, how would I know who has contributed and who to pay? wink.gif
Capital wise, is not a problem because I have them ready.
Just waiting for the time and the plan smile.gif
no..not public bins... one house, 3 bins. That might sum up to bout RM10 per house. biggrin.gif
have them to sms you or email you to collect if full, else you'll just drop by weekly. Start with middle class and rich people area, they have the most valuable waste biggrin.gif

Problem:
1) Logistic - Trucks and lorries needed = fuel price
2) Storage area - rental for land, location
3) Fluctuating market price - you aint wanna buy high, sell cheap

Marketing:
1) Free gifts - Free (cheap) vacation for the highest paid client
2) Publicity - The Star Metro biggrin.gif

IMO, recycling is a major business = big money smile.gif Coloured and non-coloured metals are the best
Syd G
post Jun 28 2008, 12:55 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,023 posts

My mom is a big hoarder. We're not against it if she's big on recycling but she keeps everything. EVERTHING.

We have tonnes of cili sos caps in our house sweat.gif. I remember one day we had a lot of junks accumulated for over a month - we happily went to the recycling centre and cashed em all... for a grand total of RM6.

RM6 for a month's worth of eyesore? Not worth it.
TSJordy
post Jun 28 2008, 01:22 AM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(small-jeff @ Jun 28 2008, 12:45 AM)
no..not public bins... one house, 3 bins. That might sum up to bout RM10 per house. biggrin.gif
have them to sms you or email you to collect if full, else you'll just drop by weekly. Start with middle class and rich people area, they have the most valuable waste biggrin.gif

Problem:
1) Logistic - Trucks and lorries needed = fuel price
2) Storage area - rental for land, location
3) Fluctuating market price - you aint wanna buy high, sell cheap

Marketing:
1) Free gifts - Free (cheap) vacation for the highest paid client
2) Publicity - The Star Metro biggrin.gif

IMO, recycling is a major business = big money smile.gif Coloured and non-coloured metals are the best
Thank you for your valuable input smile.gif I appreciate your ideas a lot, and I would give them a thought.
As for the vacation thingy, I think we have to put that on hold first tongue.gif
I think once you open in a high density residential area, you would get free publicity through words of mouth.

QUOTE(Syd G @ Jun 28 2008, 12:55 AM)
My mom is a big hoarder. We're not against it if she's big on recycling but she keeps everything. EVERTHING.

We have tonnes of cili sos caps in our house sweat.gif. I remember one day we had a lot of junks accumulated for over a month - we happily went to the recycling centre and cashed em all... for a grand total of RM6.

RM6 for a month's worth of eyesore? Not worth it.
It depends on what items you store. I don't think there's much value for bottle caps. Or even there is, it is very minimal.
Normally, I would stock up on papers, aluminium cans, cardboards and plastics. Aluminium cans demand the highest value in this group smile.gif
chippy09
post Jun 28 2008, 01:29 AM

Getting Started
86 posts

scrap is literally gold, it doesn't take much to make a lot

mousepad87
post Jun 28 2008, 09:28 AM

1,008 posts

I think u better start this business as part time...so u can get experience and get the big picture..
or try to get and info how scrap business in other country like Japan Germany and US...

Good Luck Bro!! thanks for saving our earth=)
bbjslee
post Jun 28 2008, 10:08 AM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

My friend won the competition for Nescafe Kick Start for a recycling business. Unfortunately after a yr or 2, they decided to close shop.

Problems you might face
- Recycling culture in Malaysia
- Logistics Matter
- Some recycling centers are run by thugs (Especially Scrap Metal)
small-jeff
post Jun 28 2008, 12:35 PM

Regular
1,646 posts

i would not advice to go into metal (coloured or non-coloured) recycling business.

Why:
1) The market price for scrap is rather volatile.
2) High capital required just to keep stock.

Currently, a tonne of scrap steel (plain carbon steel) worth about US$700. smile.gif You'll be susceptible to buy high, sell low. In addition, not everyone is allowed to stock steel scrap in large quantity.

Although industrial recycling is a bigger money business, it often comes with complicated procedures and red tapes. Domestic recycling would be rather easier to start with, also with less big boys running it.

anyway, bout the vacation thing, it's just an example. You provide free gift (that people would actually appreciate) to encourage clients to do more recycle, hence better your business biggrin.gif Ofcourse, there are more ways to market you business too

just my 2 cents biggrin.gif
wodenus
post Jun 28 2008, 01:26 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(small-jeff @ Jun 28 2008, 12:35 PM)
i would not advice to go into metal (coloured or non-coloured) recycling business.

Why:

Currently, a tonne of scrap steel (plain carbon steel) worth about US$700. smile.gif You'll be susceptible to buy high, sell low. In addition, not everyone is allowed to stock steel scrap in large quantity.

Although industrial recycling is a bigger money business, it often comes with complicated procedures and red tapes. Domestic recycling would be rather easier to start with, also with less big boys running it.

anyway, bout the vacation thing, it's just an example. You provide free gift (that people would actually appreciate) to encourage clients to do more recycle, hence better your business biggrin.gif Ofcourse, there are more ways to market you business too

That's right, storage will be expensive.

HughieRmX
post Jun 28 2008, 01:53 PM

::.. ♬|♪ HaRdC0Re TrAnCE AddiCT ♬|♪..::
3,394 posts

Greetings.
Thanks for refreshing my mind about recycling.
Hmm .. guess collecting unused materials to be recycled are good for the environment and ourself.
Hmm .. hmm.gif Starting from tomorrow onwards, I'll be starting to collect them at my petrol station. Boxes, cans .. metals .. etc etc smile.gif
wodenus
post Jun 28 2008, 03:36 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(HughieRmX @ Jun 28 2008, 01:53 PM)
Greetings.
Thanks for refreshing my mind about recycling.
Hmm .. guess collecting unused materials to be recycled are good for the environment and ourself.
Hmm .. hmm.gif Starting from tomorrow onwards, I'll be starting to collect them at my petrol station. Boxes, cans .. metals .. etc etc smile.gif
You have a place to store all of it ? I'm not sure if a lot of boxes at a petrol station is a good idea, but then again that's just a thought smile.gif

TSJordy
post Jun 28 2008, 10:06 PM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(mousepad87 @ Jun 28 2008, 09:28 AM)
I think u better start this business as part time...so u can get experience and get the big picture..
or try to get and info how scrap business in other country like Japan Germany and US...

Good Luck Bro!! thanks for saving our earth=)
Hehe, I would be glad to save Mother Earth, while trying to "eradicate" poverty (impossible? tongue.gif)
Also, thank you also for your useful information. I guess their methods are more of the higher-end. Hehe.

QUOTE(bbjslee @ Jun 28 2008, 10:08 AM)
My friend won the competition for Nescafe Kick Start for a recycling business. Unfortunately after a yr or 2, they decided to close shop.

Problems you might face
- Recycling culture in Malaysia
- Logistics Matter
- Some recycling centers are run by thugs (Especially Scrap Metal)
Well, you are practically selling your unused junks in exchange for some money. Will this start making them consider? tongue.gif
Logistics wise, I don't think that would be a problem, because I could always hire a truck. Just for a short distance, I don't think it would cost that much? wink.gif
Thugs huh? Well, what do I actually have with thugs? tongue.gif

QUOTE(small-jeff @ Jun 28 2008, 12:35 PM)

Why:

Very good insight on it thumbup.gif I do have some marketing plans to encourage more people to recycle though. Hehe.
bbjslee
post Jun 28 2008, 11:02 PM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(Jordy @ Jun 28 2008, 10:06 PM)
Hehe, I would be glad to save Mother Earth, while trying to "eradicate" poverty (impossible? tongue.gif)
Also, thank you also for your useful information. I guess their methods are more of the higher-end. Hehe.
Well, you are practically selling your unused junks in exchange for some money. Will this start making them consider? tongue.gif
Logistics wise, I don't think that would be a problem, because I could always hire a truck. Just for a short distance, I don't think it would cost that much? wink.gif
Thugs huh? Well, what do I actually have with thugs? tongue.gif
Very good insight on it thumbup.gif I do have some marketing plans to encourage more people to recycle though. Hehe.
I like your way of thought, very positive. Keep it up.

- Look at the family, relatives & friends around you. How many of them have actually started recycling? Most people when think about recycling, is still about old newspaper, aluminum can & bottles.
- Diesel price has increased. How much do you think that would cost you to go around a neighborhood? 50? 100? 200? Does it decrease your profit margin a lot? When talking about logistics, it is not just lorry. What about temporary storage location? Security & safety of it?
- If you have been around thugs & gangsters then maybe you won't have any problem dealing with them, else just be prepared what you may face lor.
TSJordy
post Jun 28 2008, 11:19 PM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(bbjslee @ Jun 28 2008, 11:02 PM)
I like your way of thought, very positive. Keep it up.

- Look at the family, relatives & friends around you. How many of them have actually started recycling? Most people when think about recycling, is still about old newspaper, aluminum can & bottles.
- Diesel price has increased. How much do you think that would cost you to go around a neighborhood?  50? 100? 200? Does it decrease your profit margin a lot? When talking about logistics, it is not just lorry. What about temporary storage location? Security & safety of it?
- If you have been around thugs & gangsters then maybe you won't have any problem dealing with them, else just be prepared what you may face lor.
Ah, thank you for your reply smile.gif
I know not many people even think of recycling. All I am trying to do is to pay those that are willing to recycle. That is a different story already. Hehe. I will not go around the neighborhood like all those old newspaper lorries. So, diesel price hike has very minimal effect on me.
As for the storage, I think I have an idea where it would be smile.gif Security might not be a problem, because the possible storage location is viewable from my window. Hehe. Where I came from is well-known area for thugs and gangsterism. Was mangling with them last time tongue.gif

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0198sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:33 PM