Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Tomato/Victek's Tomato Firmware Club, Victek himself is here to help you !

views

kaiserreich
post Jul 13 2008, 02:38 AM

Pendekar Papan Kekunci
4,234 posts

I have trouble configuring the QoS function, it seems that when my housemates uses Xunlei, no matter what I do to the QoS settings, there is still significant lag in the web surfing speed. Max connection is at 4096. no ACK is turned on. Checking the QoS bandwith list, the Xunlei bandwith is in the class I set it to be, which is lowest. I had the maximum upload for it at 50% and download at 40% and yet, it's still hogging the bandwith. Another thing is that, I tried with utorrent and port forwarded it, yet, turning it on would still produce some significant lag to web surfing.

one more thing, how much can I boost the antenna value, since I'm sitting next to the router, I don't want my brains to be fried.

This post has been edited by kaiserreich: Jul 13 2008, 02:41 AM
kaiserreich
post Jul 13 2008, 12:24 PM

Pendekar Papan Kekunci
4,234 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Jul 13 2008, 08:25 AM)
Xunlei uses port 80 - which is HTTP Traffic. You'll have to set HTTP Trafic for yoyur friend. Plus its a bit hard to throttle Xunlei as well as it can jump one port to another and it can bypass firewall !
it uses port 80 for TCP and 15000 for UDP by default, even if I limit the upload bandwith for the port 15000, there appears to be no effect. My housemates are getting pissed and they've decided to put QoS aside and set some time window to download torrent which I do not like. But since I can't get QoS to work properly, i had to yield.

It appears that Xunlei seems to be the cause for the QoS to not work, however, I couldn't understand why turning utorrent on and with it's speed limit turned on in utorrent itself, there would still be lag in the network.
kaiserreich
post Jul 14 2008, 10:59 AM

Pendekar Papan Kekunci
4,234 posts

QUOTE(muok @ Jul 13 2008, 07:06 PM)
You are doing it wrong. You should set up QOS on a per MAC/IP basis. Bascially, your housemates PC should be allocated 1 static internal IP and you give him a max up/down speed and it will not affect the rest of the users.
Your suggestion literally means spliiting connection rite? I thought that by allocating a max speed, his application would use up the max bandwith allocated and it wouldn't affect other people. If i got 5 people in the house, he's only ever to get 20% max, no?
kaiserreich
post Dec 1 2008, 12:58 PM

Pendekar Papan Kekunci
4,234 posts

I've read the wikis but I don't quite understand it, what does TCP vegas do. Delaying TCP packets? Means better QoS?
kaiserreich
post Jan 7 2009, 05:26 PM

Pendekar Papan Kekunci
4,234 posts

I don't know what's wrong with my router.

Qos and everything that shapes traffic is turned off, but I get graphs like this trying to surf the internet. When downloading, the graph is alright, but surfing gives such graphs.

I am on streamyx 1MB package

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

kaiserreich
post Dec 30 2009, 05:32 PM

Pendekar Papan Kekunci
4,234 posts

QUOTE(cosmiqeddie @ Dec 30 2009, 02:16 PM)
i just cant get the configuration right for ruling xunlei and flying spaghetti monster even after reading lots of guides and tutorial:
http://www.decimation.com/markw/2007/10/03/tomato-qos-setup/
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3800416
http://gazguzla.com/optimize-tomato-qos/
no matter what i do to my gaming client, port forward, qos highest, whenever xunlei starts to run, everything just fail. it was said not to capture xunlei's port, and prioritize only the known port, but still no luck after going through so much of trial and error.
when i classified gaming client with port 1513 to CLASS A, not even 0.01% of the bandwidth show up in the pie chart. im stucked X_X
I'm having issues with xunlei on tomato, but not utorrent.
It appears that sometimes, xunlei cheats, check the port numbers and you'd see a lot of Port: 80 activity when Xunlei is running.

Things that might help with Xunlei on Tomato:
-limit the upload speed to very very low
-limit the number of connections
-do not run too many torrents on Xunlei

Xunlei cheats the QoS, that's what I found out, but since it's my housemate that uses it, that's all i recommended to him, if you are the one using it, try use another client that doesn't cheat. The tomato CPU is not powerful enough for the load that Xunlei is giving it, from my experience. The QoS does work with Xunlei turned on, but it has a very slow response when we compare to say...utorrent.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0315sec    0.31    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:35 PM