Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> JPA ivy-league scholarship, Have some problem (Loans & Scholarships)

bonedragon
post Jun 3 2008, 04:53 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Hey guys, this is a quote of my post from another topic, decided to open new one since that my post wasn't really appropriate in that topic and everyone ignored me anyway, so..

Hey guys, the ivy league and setaraf thing, it is necessary to get unconditional offer? I mean i haven't even finished my a levels yet, got conditional offer only. Anyway, i wonder if anyone has sent the application for the ivy-league and setaraf universities? Everytime i send it, it'll bring me back to the same page except all the spaces are blank, then at the bottom of the page "maklumat anda tidak dapat dihantar". I used the college computer, my home computer, firefox and IE still the same problem. Not to mention when using IE there's an error on the page...

So I called the helpline, and it rang like 10 times before a very sleepy guy picked up the phone. I told him there's a problem, he said, tak ada masalah...use the calendar to fill in the dates, dont' type. So I did that but still

I still can't send my application..Anyone sucessfuly sent theirs? Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Orlando
post Jun 4 2008, 10:19 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bonedragon @ Jun 3 2008, 04:53 PM)
Hey guys, this is a quote of my post from another topic, decided to open new one since that my post wasn't really appropriate in that topic and everyone ignored me anyway, so..
I still can't send my application..Anyone sucessfuly sent theirs? Thanks.
sorry , cant help u there.. all i can say is give it time.. btw, congrats on ur conditional offer..
so mind telling whats the condition?
where and when did u get the offer?

thnx
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Jun 5 2008, 01:01 AM

Casual

er..I got from imperial college and university college london. Need to have 3As for A levels including maths and physics for Imperial, not too sure about UCL. But I just came back from my pure maths 3 paper. Let me tell you that it is the shittiest paper i have ever sat in my life. Other than that time in form 4 where i got 19 marks for my add maths. Don't know whether i can fulfill the condition or not...sad.gif

Edit: still can't send the application

This post has been edited by bonedragon: Jun 5 2008, 01:02 AM
+Quote Post
SonicSpyro
post Jun 5 2008, 02:29 AM

Getting Started

Have you tried clearing the cookies, defrag and scan your comp for viruses? I've just submitted my application and I didn't have any problems. Just finished doing my Foundation at Nottingham. Hopefully I can get the scholarship. lol
+Quote Post
kanabalize
post Jun 5 2008, 10:01 AM

Casual

how do you guys apply....

i have a dream to further my studies in MIT...

please help...
+Quote Post
shimy
post Jun 5 2008, 11:58 AM

Casual

QUOTE(SonicSpyro @ Jun 5 2008, 02:29 AM)
Have you tried clearing the cookies, defrag and scan your comp for viruses? I've just submitted my application and I didn't have any problems. Just finished doing my Foundation at Nottingham. Hopefully I can get the scholarship. lol
how u apply 4 dat?
until now oso i cant send de application ..
i m currently doing my A-LEVELS ..
n i totally agree dat de pure maths 3 dis year is horrible !!!!!
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Jun 5 2008, 12:30 PM

Casual

QUOTE(shimy @ Jun 5 2008, 11:58 AM)
how u apply 4 dat?
until now oso i cant send de application ..
i m currently doing my A-LEVELS ..
n i totally agree dat de pure maths 3 dis year is horrible !!!!!
Oh, so you can't send as well? Is it "maklumat anda tidak dapat dihantar" error?

Anyway, the page loads with an error as well. The error is unterminated string constant or something like that...Not really a programmer guy so I don't know what that means but perhaps that is a reason?

Don't think it's a virus or defrag problem though.. I've used computers from my college and at home as well, same problems.
+Quote Post
SonicSpyro
post Jun 5 2008, 01:14 PM

Getting Started

You guys using the same link as I did? Because I had no problems when I submitted my application. http://esila.jpa.gov.my/Sah_IvyLeague_btu.php
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Jun 5 2008, 02:29 PM

Casual

OK i just found out what the problem was. The JPA tech team or...something responded to my email. He told me to not put any comas in the salary part eg:2000.00 instead of 2,000.00. Also, UK's postcodes are different from malaysia eg: SW7 2AZ so just put 00000 at the postcode area. I did it and i just submitted my application rclxms.gif Have to go say thank you now...

Anyway, the reminder slip say unconditional offer, i dapat conditional offer only, but don't care la, just send only. i memang tak tau malu...
+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Jun 5 2008, 02:36 PM

Getting Started
Group: Validating

I typed 2AZ for the postcode ><
anyways, why do they want to know the address of the university
dont they have it themselves ><
and ya
MATHS P3 was horrible
+Quote Post
shimy
post Jun 5 2008, 05:51 PM

Casual

QUOTE(bonedragon @ Jun 5 2008, 02:29 PM)
OK i just found out what the problem was. The JPA tech team or...something responded to my email. He told me to not put any comas in the salary part eg:2000.00 instead of 2,000.00. Also, UK's postcodes are different from malaysia eg: SW7 2AZ so just put 00000 at the postcode area. I did it and i just submitted my application  rclxms.gif  Have to go say thank you now...

Anyway, the reminder slip say unconditional offer, i dapat conditional offer only, but don't care la, just send only. i memang tak tau malu...
is dat means v hv to fill up UK address 4 de uni?i tot dey required pengajian semasa?
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Jun 5 2008, 07:31 PM

Casual

Depends which uni you go la...if US uni then US address, if local uni then local address la.

Yea I was a bit confused as well, but i think maybe the scholarship is also aimed at those who are already at those institutions studying, thus the "pengajian semasa"
+Quote Post
Orlando
post Jun 5 2008, 09:45 PM

Getting Started

hey.. jz curious.. where and when did u apply for it..
how was the selection process...
very sorry for intruding.. ^^
so meaning if u get it u wil still need to pay urself.. unless the gov offer u de scholarship u ar applying for now??
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Jun 5 2008, 11:20 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Orlando @ Jun 5 2008, 09:45 PM)
hey.. jz curious.. where and when did u apply for it..
how was the selection process...
very sorry for intruding.. ^^
so meaning if u get it u wil still need to pay urself.. unless the gov offer u de scholarship u ar applying for now??

Apply for what? The universities? For UK universities you have to apply through UCAS which is an organization which handles applications for undergraduate study to all(or most, i'm not sure) universities in UK...can go to the UK thread for more info.

The scholarship is applied through JPA e-sila webpage like someone just posted here in the thread. It's one of the scholarships offered under the new program by JPA.

Of course will have to pay by ourselves if no scholarship, so that's why everyone is fighting for one... rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
Orlando
post Jun 5 2008, 11:33 PM

Getting Started

i meant imperial..
u have to go through an interview or so right?
how was it?

+Quote Post
kanabalize
post Jun 6 2008, 12:15 AM

Casual

im proud to see alot of people trying t get into ivy league.......

can i apply MIT ?

good luck
+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Jun 6 2008, 12:50 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Orlando @ Jun 5 2008, 11:33 PM)
i meant imperial..
u have to go through an interview or so right?
how was it?
nope no interview required
maybe there's one for medicine but im quite sure there's no interview for most of the courses

strong SPM, A-levels results
and strong personal statement are what u need

Added on June 6, 2008, 12:50 am
QUOTE(kanabalize @ Jun 6 2008, 12:15 AM)
im proud to see alot of people trying t get into ivy league.......

can i apply MIT ?

good luck
From what I know, last year they were 71 applicants to MIT, 6 got it through, for the next cycle of application, the process starts at around october and they dateline is 1/1/09. For MIT, they are not very strict in what qualifications you presenting, but you must indeed be very outstanding and have very good essays written about you that you have to give it to them smile.gif good luck smile.gif

Added on June 6, 2008, 3:33 am"Degree Programme In Foreign Universities (PILN) 2008
RESULT FOR PILN 2008 SCHOLARSHIP HAS PUBLISHED IN JPA WEBSITE (http://www.jpa.gov.my) SINCE 11th MAY 2008.

FOR UNSUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES, ONLINE APPEAL CAN BE PROPOSE FROM 11-17th MAY 2008.

LOCAL SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM FOR 2007 SPM LEAVER
THIS PROGRAM OFFER TO ALL 2007 SPM LEAVERS WHICH RESULTS 9A AND ABOVE. ADVERTISEMENT AND FUTHER INFORMATION WILL BE ADVERTISE FROM EARLY JUNE 2008 AT JPA WEBSITE AND LOCAL PRESS.
"

I got this from JPA website
http://www.jpa.gov.my/2008/05/program-ijaz...a-2008/lang/en/
OMG, they can't even use basic grammar , how are they gonna sponsor people like you and me? blush.gif

This post has been edited by K-I-R-A: Jun 6 2008, 03:40 AM
+Quote Post
Orlando
post Jun 6 2008, 11:37 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(K-I-R-A @ Jun 6 2008, 12:50 AM)
nope no interview required
maybe there's one for medicine but im quite sure there's no interview for most of the courses

strong SPM, A-levels results
and strong personal statement are what u need

Added on June 6, 2008, 12:50 am
From what I know, last year they were 71 applicants to MIT, 6 got it through, for the next cycle of application, the process starts at around october and they dateline is 1/1/09. For MIT, they are not very strict in what qualifications you presenting, but you must indeed be very outstanding and have very good essays written about you that you have to give it to them  smile.gif  good luck  smile.gif

Added on June 6, 2008, 3:33 am"Degree Programme In Foreign Universities (PILN) 2008
RESULT FOR PILN 2008 SCHOLARSHIP HAS PUBLISHED IN JPA WEBSITE (http://www.jpa.gov.my) SINCE 11th MAY 2008.

FOR UNSUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES, ONLINE APPEAL CAN BE PROPOSE FROM 11-17th MAY 2008.

LOCAL SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM FOR 2007 SPM LEAVER
THIS PROGRAM OFFER TO ALL 2007 SPM LEAVERS WHICH RESULTS 9A AND ABOVE. ADVERTISEMENT AND FUTHER INFORMATION WILL BE ADVERTISE FROM EARLY JUNE 2008 AT JPA WEBSITE AND LOCAL PRESS.
"

I got this from JPA website
http://www.jpa.gov.my/2008/05/program-ijaz...a-2008/lang/en/
OMG, they can't even use basic grammar , how are they gonna sponsor people like you and me?  blush.gif
icic.. thnx.. how bout.. Oxford , Harvard etc.?
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Jun 7 2008, 02:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Orlando @ Jun 6 2008, 11:37 PM)
icic.. thnx.. how bout.. Oxford , Harvard etc.?
Google around, there are nice blogs about getting into top universities, one of them by a fellow Malaysian. It helps when the advice comes from someone who's been there...

+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Jun 7 2008, 03:31 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(tishaban @ Jun 7 2008, 02:00 AM)
Google around, there are nice blogs about getting into top universities, one of them by a fellow Malaysian. It helps when the advice comes from someone who's been there...
There's no definite key to get into universities like Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard.
But superb grades will definitely bring you far.
From what I observe, Cambridge and Oxford stress on academic capability a lot, that's why you can see from the UCAS book that their average admission standard is 480-550 points
A-120points
b-100points
c-80points so on
that means to get into Cambridge or Oxford, you are expected to get at least 3A's-4A's but normally competition is so fierce that most of them who got in actually have more than 4A's

bout MIT, from what I observe ,when it comes to admission, they want people who are both academically strong and all-round
peace out icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Glassy
post Jun 9 2008, 11:41 PM

Casual

Something I wanna clear up. Oxford's conditional offers are generally AAA, while it's pretty common to see Cambridge asking for AAAA and above.
+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Jun 9 2008, 11:45 PM

Getting Started

and ya, Glassy holds a conditonal offer from Oxford for Law, I think she knows best smile.gif
+Quote Post
Winded
post Aug 29 2008, 02:28 PM

Hey,I'm just wondering, would a second year student from one of the mentioned unis be eligible for this particular scholarship? As far as I know, jpa did give out scholarships to second year students, but i'm just wondering if they're doing the same thing for this one.

Help appreciated =)
+Quote Post
cissal
post Aug 30 2008, 08:39 PM

Hey guys Iit true that no matter which county you go to(US,UK,Aus) you will still be bonded for 6 years if you study a 4 year course?
+Quote Post
jhmh
post Feb 3 2009, 04:00 PM

Group: New Member

Hi, I'm applying to MIT, Princeton and Columbia University in US. Is the JPA sponsorship for Ivy League universities still on? I can't seem to find anything about it on their website.
+Quote Post
khaishin
post Feb 3 2009, 04:13 PM

On my way

what is this scholarship about?
for foreign U?
what's the requirement?
+Quote Post
DJFoo000
post Feb 3 2009, 06:01 PM

Really? That's the best reply you can come up with?

Haven't start laaa... Wait until SPM result come out first la.
And this one is considered 'additional' sponsorships, so maybe after results of JPA PILN out already only open.
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 3 2009, 08:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(khaishin @ Feb 3 2009, 04:13 PM)
what is this scholarship about?
for foreign U?
what's the requirement?
get yourself admitted into ivy league uni........that's the only requirement......
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 3 2009, 08:46 PM

how u all apply for the universities in US ? is it through its university official website ? Or through some agents ?
+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 6 2009, 02:47 PM

Getting Started

For Ivy League, university official website....
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 6 2009, 06:21 PM

for the JPA ivy-league scholarship, only spm students can apply ? STPM students can apply or not ?

+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 6 2009, 07:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(wesleylee @ Feb 6 2009, 06:21 PM)
for the JPA ivy-league scholarship, only spm students can apply ? STPM students can apply or not ?
it doesn't matter what pathway you use......it is ONLY applicable AFTER you have been accepted into an ivy league uni.......

obviously one cannot get into ivy league with spm........
+Quote Post
onimusha_m16
post Feb 6 2009, 08:34 PM

Mr Bean

QUOTE(limeuu @ Feb 6 2009, 07:54 PM)
it doesn't matter what pathway you use......it is ONLY applicable AFTER you have been accepted into an ivy league uni.......

obviously one cannot get into ivy league with spm........
one can enter into ivy league with spm provided that he/she scored nicely in SAT, TOEFL, possesses extremely good CCA records and submitted a convincing essay.
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 6 2009, 08:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(onimusha_m16 @ Feb 6 2009, 08:34 PM)
one can enter into ivy league with spm provided that he/she scored nicely in SAT, TOEFL, possesses extremely good CCA records and submitted a convincing essay.
that presumably will be in north america........where they don't care what qualification you have anyway, as long as you have 12 years of schooling and decent sats scores to start with......

you can't otherwise in the rest of the english speaking world.........
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 6 2009, 10:58 PM

I've finished my STPM last year and now waiting for my result . I would like to know that what would be the next step in order for me to get further study in US ? Can i apply US universities with my STPM result ?
+Quote Post
onimusha_m16
post Feb 6 2009, 11:03 PM

Mr Bean

QUOTE(wesleylee @ Feb 6 2009, 10:58 PM)
I've  finished my STPM last year and now waiting for my result . I would like to know that what would be the next step in order for me to get further study in US ? Can i apply US universities with my STPM result ?
Sit for SAT 1 and 3 SAT 2 subjects. With your STPM knowledge, I dun think you still need to prepare anymore. Register with MACEE - http://www.macee.org.my/04_frame.htm . Do it the same for TOEFL.
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 6 2009, 11:42 PM

After i taken the SAT1 and SAT2 , then i can apply to US universities right ?
Then how to apply for the JPA IVY-LEAGUE scholarship ? Need to show what evidence to JPA ?
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 6 2009, 11:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!

your offer letter?.......
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 7 2009, 12:49 AM

I'm kind of afraid that if JPA doesnt offer me scholarship , then i will be wasted my money spending to sit for SAT1 and SAT2. Then my american dream will be just ended there .....
+Quote Post
onimusha_m16
post Feb 7 2009, 08:48 AM

Mr Bean

QUOTE(wesleylee @ Feb 7 2009, 12:49 AM)
I'm kind of afraid that if JPA doesnt offer me scholarship , then i will be wasted my money spending to sit for SAT1 and SAT2. Then my american dream will be just endedĀ  thereĀ  .....
Yes, this is to be worried for this year when there is economic recession. I think that JPA wont be sponsoring many this year. Try these universities that are need-blind and full-need for international students, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Middlebury College, MIT, Princeton University, Williams College, Yale University, and Amherst College.

This post has been edited by onimusha_m16: Feb 7 2009, 08:49 AM
+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 11 2009, 06:16 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(onimusha_m16 @ Feb 6 2009, 08:34 PM)
my fren enter MIT wiv spm only... but he is really a genius especially math....
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Feb 13 2009, 12:45 PM

Getting Started

What are the universities outside USA that are considered equivalent to ivy-league?
+Quote Post
onimusha_m16
post Feb 13 2009, 12:54 PM

Mr Bean

QUOTE(starryangel @ Feb 13 2009, 12:45 PM)
What are the universities outside USA that are considered equivalent to ivy-league?
Maybe Oxbridge and Group of 8.
+Quote Post
danmooncake
post Feb 13 2009, 12:56 PM

Market Up, Market Down...Wheee..

There are some free colleges/universities in US that are not IVY league that offer free education to anyone willing to work for it.
I know one Malaysian and Singaporean who had done just that.. but you have to apply and then just
pay for your own transportation and cost of living..get part time job to cover your expenses when you're there.
Free here means tuition fees are free.

See this article.

This post has been edited by danmooncake: Feb 13 2009, 12:57 PM
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Feb 13 2009, 07:36 PM

Getting Started

Anyone knows any other Non-US universities that are equivalent to Ivy-League? As far as I know, probably universities under these groups are considered as Ivy-League-equivalent:

1. Group of Eight (Australia)
2. Group of 13 (Canada)
3. Russell Group (UK)

+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 13 2009, 08:07 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(starryangel @ Feb 13 2009, 07:36 PM)
Anyone knows any other Non-US universities that are equivalent to Ivy-League? As far as I know, probably universities under these groups are considered as Ivy-League-equivalent:

1. Group of Eight (Australia)
2. Group of 13 (Canada)
3. Russell Group (UK)
In my opinion (just in my opinion lah)... Ivy-league standard is much much higher den all other universities as they do not simply accept students n they dunwan yr money !! U cannot 'pay' to enter Ivy... but for some universities in UK n Aus u can just pay to enter if u meet their requirement.. Some Ivy equivalent r MIT , California , Stanford....
+Quote Post
kyleighkim
post Feb 14 2009, 12:14 AM

Hey guys...

Hope u guys can clear my doubts...

1. The 'borang muat turun' / application form for the year 2009 ll only be out when the SPM results are out, rt?
2. Does this mean tht we ve to sit for the TOEFL and the SAT ppr on our own or is funded by JPA if we succeed in securing a place?
3. The application's min requirements?

THX A LOT!!!
CHEERS

+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 14 2009, 12:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(onimusha_m16 @ Feb 13 2009, 12:54 PM)
Maybe Oxbridge and Group of 8.
non of the aussie unis can be considered ivy league.....
+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 14 2009, 12:59 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kyleighkim @ Feb 14 2009, 12:14 AM)
Hey guys...

Hope u guys can clear my doubts...

1. The 'borang muat turun' / application form for the year 2009 ll only be out when the SPM results are out, rt?
2. Does this mean tht we ve to sit for the TOEFL and the SAT ppr on our own or is funded by JPA if we succeed in securing a place?
3. The application's min requirements?

THX A LOT!!!
CHEERS
this is not a normal jpa oversea scholarship for SPM students.... this only for any malaysian tat make themselves get into 1 of the ivy or equivalent....

This post has been edited by yw46: Feb 14 2009, 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Feb 14 2009, 12:37 PM

Getting Started

For your info, my friend was sponsored by JPA to ANU under Ivy-League(and equivalent) scholarship. Its not ivy league, but its equivalent to that.
+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 14 2009, 12:56 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(starryangel @ Feb 14 2009, 12:37 PM)
For your info, my friend was sponsored by JPA to ANU under Ivy-League(and equivalent) scholarship. Its not ivy league, but its equivalent to that.
ya u r right sweat.gif
http://chenchow.blogspot.com/2008/06/addit...ps-for-spm.html
btw yr fren spm 2007 ??
Hi there. I don't quite get the conditions. For those who gained admission into Ivy League and top British universities are students who have sat for their A level right? However, usually a student needs 1.5-2 years to complete A level. It is stated that the scholarship is for students who sat for their SPM in 2007 yet the deadline of application is mid June 2008.So how do students interested in these top Unis apply for this scholarship when they haven't even sat for the A level exams?
den ur fren enter ANU wiv ???

This post has been edited by yw46: Feb 14 2009, 01:02 PM
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Feb 14 2009, 01:47 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(yw46 @ Feb 14 2009, 12:56 PM)
ya u r right  sweat.gif
http://chenchow.blogspot.com/2008/06/addit...ps-for-spm.html
btw yr fren spm 2007 ??
den ur fren enter ANU wiv ???
My friend entered with A-Levels
+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 14 2009, 02:03 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(starryangel @ Feb 14 2009, 01:47 PM)
My friend entered with A-Levels
Oo.. jan intake ??
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Feb 14 2009, 02:07 PM

Getting Started

yup
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 15 2009, 10:11 PM

i want to know that , after i got the offer letter from the US university and i apply for JPA scholarship .Lets say JPA offer me scholarship . I need to buy the ticket on my own then fly to the university in US and settle myself ? OR the university will send their representative officer to come to malaysia to meet me and follow the person to US ? quite confusing here ...
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 15 2009, 10:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!

if they do consider any of the oz unis as ivy league, then just apply there, anu, melb whatever..........it is pretty easy to get in, especially the non-critical courses.........

and no uni rep is ever going to come an escort you over.......you think you are royalty?
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Feb 15 2009, 10:28 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

QUOTE(wesleylee @ Feb 15 2009, 02:11 PM)
i want to know that , after i got the offer letter from the US university and i apply for JPA scholarship .Lets say JPA offer me scholarship . I need to buy the ticket on my own then fly to the university in US and settle myself ? OR the university will send their representative officer to come to malaysia to meet me and follow the person to US ? quite confusing here ...
normally JPA only pays for ur 1st outgoing ticket and ur last homecoming ticket. any tickets going back and forth in between them u would have to pay for urself. if JPA couldnt come up with the outgoing or homecoming tickets by the time u need it, u could just buy ur own ticket and later reimbursed by JPA.
+Quote Post
wesleylee
post Feb 15 2009, 10:50 PM

QUOTE(azarimy @ Feb 15 2009, 10:28 PM)
normally JPA only pays for ur 1st outgoing ticket and ur last homecoming ticket. any tickets going back and forth in between them u would have to pay for urself. if JPA couldnt come up with the outgoing or homecoming tickets by the time u need it, u could just buy ur own ticket and later reimbursed by JPA.
then will there be an university representative officer waiting for me at US airport or they will come to malaysia to meet me and bring me there ?
+Quote Post
yw46
post Feb 15 2009, 11:37 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(wesleylee @ Feb 15 2009, 10:50 PM)
then will there be an university representative officer waiting for me at US airport or they will come to malaysia to meet me and bring me there ?
wait after u get the offer just say la... whistling.gif

+Quote Post
AtMostFear
post Feb 16 2009, 06:47 AM

Casual

if you go in a large group, say more than 20 people (which happened to me), a JPA officer will accompany you guys from Malaysia until you arrive at the university.

if you're going alone, or in a small group, JPA won't be sending any officer to go with you. instead, they'll ask the MSD (Malaysian Student Department) people who are already there to pick you guys up at the airport and send you to your university.

in the US, there are only 3 MSD branches, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington DC. if the university you're going are located far from any of these 3 branches, noone will be there to pick you up at the airport. however, usually JPA will contact current Malaysian seniors at the university to inform that you're coming so that the seniors can pick you up instead.

worst case scenario, the university is far, and there are no Malaysian seniors at the university (or nearby universities), then you'll arrive alone at the airport.

note that these are just my observations from what my friends have experienced. I'm sure you can inquire about it from JPA once you've got the offer. good luck! smile.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Feb 16 2009, 07:54 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

QUOTE(wesleylee @ Feb 15 2009, 02:50 PM)
there are lots of other things to worry about. why are u so worried about that?

not every university would send their representatives to pick u up. most would just give instructions in the welcoming package on what u needed to do. if u're lucky, some universities have student representatives (not official representatives of the university) that would arrange to pick u up. sometimes there are malaysian student groups that could help u out.

just assume that u'll arrive alone at the airport. dont tell me this is ur first time away from home.
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Feb 17 2009, 09:22 AM

Getting Started

May i know when is this 'JPA Ivy League and equivalent scholarship' open for application?
Can anyone send me a link to the application webpage?
Thanks!

Added on February 20, 2009, 9:26 amARe we guaranteed this scholarship as long as we get into one of those universities?

This post has been edited by starryangel: Feb 20 2009, 09:26 AM
+Quote Post
thistle
post Mar 1 2009, 04:35 PM

Casual

Are other UK universities other than Oxbridge considered Ivy League and equivalent? Cos 'Ivy League and equivalent' applies to Australia's Go8 which would also be equivalent to other top UK universities.
+Quote Post
Glassy
post Mar 1 2009, 04:49 PM

Casual

LOL! I'm really sorry for saying this, but I found that kinda funny. XP I've never, EVER heard of any university sending their representatives all around the world to escort international students to the country before. Think of how many students they'd have to do this for. Flight tickets ain't cheap you know!

And yeah, Azarimy is right. Some universities offer a meet-and-greet service at the airport where they pick you up when you arrive, but not all do that.

QUOTE(starryangel @ Feb 17 2009, 09:22 AM)
May i know when is this 'JPA Ivy League and equivalent scholarship' open for application?
Can anyone send me a link to the application webpage?
Thanks!

Added on February 20, 2009, 9:26 amARe we guaranteed this scholarship as long as we get into one  of those universities?
The scholarship should be open sometime in the mid-year, which is around June/July, if last year's application season was any indication. Anyway, just pay closer attention to the newspapers. There'll usually be an announcement.

Googling the JPA website should give you JPA's official site. From there, just navigate to the scholarships link. However, the link would only appear during application season.

And yes, you're guaranteed the scholarship as long as you can get an offer in one of those universities.

QUOTE(thistle @ Mar 1 2009, 04:35 PM)
Are other UK universities other than Oxbridge considered Ivy League and equivalent? Cos 'Ivy League and equivalent' applies to Australia's Go8 which would also be equivalent to other top UK universities.
Yeah, G08 may be equivalent by fact, but not in JPA's list. Might be due to the sheer amount of people who get into those 8 universities every year. Anyway, besides the Ivy Leagues and Oxbridge, if you get into Imperial, LSE or UCL you'll get the scholarship. Last year, however, JPA was generous and gave the scholarships to KCL students as well, though to be honest I'm not sure if they'll do the same thing this year, considering how bad the economic recession is.
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Mar 1 2009, 07:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!

none of oz's uni will qualify as ivy league........the criteria is based on the difficulty of gaining entry......and it is VERY easy to get into go8 unis.........
+Quote Post
onimusha_m16
post Mar 1 2009, 08:02 PM

Mr Bean

Gaining entry into go8 universities is not really easy for those students that use ENTER or TER for the admission. It is just that the translated A-level grades from the TER/ENTER are ridiculous.
+Quote Post
HotChocolate
post Mar 1 2009, 08:12 PM

Casual

Is Imperial equivalent to the Ivy leagues?
I'm aiming for that.

Sorry, if the question seems weird.
It's the first time I know such thing.
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Mar 1 2009, 08:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(onimusha_m16 @ Mar 1 2009, 08:02 PM)
Gaining entry into go8 universities is not really easy for those students that use ENTER or TER for the admission. It is just that the translated A-level grades from the TER/ENTER are ridiculous.
it is easy to enter non-critical courses in go8 with ter.......one can get into engineering with ter80, laws with 90, sciences with 70.........
+Quote Post
Glassy
post Mar 1 2009, 11:41 PM

Casual

QUOTE(HotChocolate @ Mar 1 2009, 08:12 PM)
Is Imperial equivalent to the Ivy leagues?
I'm aiming for that.

Sorry, if the question seems weird.
It's the first time I know such thing.
Hint: If you scrolled up a bit, a few posts above yours, you might actually stumble across my post which provided an answer for that very question.

Hope that helps!
+Quote Post
HotChocolate
post Mar 2 2009, 01:55 AM

Casual

Oh I see, okay understood
So is there any other possible scholarship to Imperial?
Scholarships are pretty vague to me.
So can someone give me some guidance?

You can pm me so it won't be off topic.
Thanks.
Anyway, I'm just a 2009 January intake A-levels student.

This post has been edited by HotChocolate: Mar 2 2009, 01:55 AM
+Quote Post
yw46
post Mar 2 2009, 08:13 AM

Getting Started

erm.. Where are u studying now ?
+Quote Post
HotChocolate
post Mar 2 2009, 11:08 PM

Casual

QUOTE(yw46 @ Mar 2 2009, 08:13 AM)
erm.. Where are u studying now ?
If you're talking to me.
I'm now in Taylors College Subang Jaya.

If you are not,
then pai sei. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
yw46
post Mar 3 2009, 05:28 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(HotChocolate @ Mar 2 2009, 11:08 PM)
If you're talking to me.
I'm now in Taylors College Subang Jaya.

If you are not,
then pai sei.  laugh.gif
ya.. talking to u..
taylor there A-level further math gt how many classes ??
1 of my friend take futher math there too...
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Mar 7 2009, 07:39 AM

Getting Started

Go8 was considered equivalent to ivy league, at least for last year. I know a few ppl who got into those uni via this scheme. Go8 was still in the list end of last year. Not sure about this yr tho
+Quote Post
Mr.LKM
post Mar 25 2009, 03:14 AM

Astronomy Enthusiast

So the scholarship link will only be opened in June/July? I wonder if I can attend the interview if I'm shortlisted because my ANU intake is July. doh.gif
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Apr 4 2009, 02:00 AM

Getting Started

I don't think an interview is needed.
My parents inquired a JPA junior officer today. He said that they are undecided whether this scholarship will be offered this year. ANd if it is, the July application is only for those going to UK while Feb application is for those going to AUs and NZ.
I find this information quite contradicting because as far as we know, the application is only open in July and scholarship is oly offered to those going to US, UK and Aus.
Anyone else called up and asked? Any latest update?
Here's a newspaper article:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sun...icle/index_html
+Quote Post
Mr.LKM
post Apr 4 2009, 05:46 PM

Astronomy Enthusiast

I hope they offer scholarship for those going to Australia in July.
+Quote Post
shiwen
post Apr 17 2009, 10:45 AM

so the application window should be sometime around june/july, but does anyone have any idea when the results will be released?
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Apr 17 2009, 11:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(starryangel @ Mar 7 2009, 07:39 AM)
Go8 was considered equivalent to ivy league, at least for last year. I know a few ppl who got into those uni via this scheme. Go8 was still in the list end of last year. Not sure about this yr tho
it would be silly for them to give scholarships for entry to go8........it's very easy to get into them for non-critical courses.........
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Apr 19 2009, 07:57 AM

Casual

chill guys, i know someone who applied like 1 week before she went to the UK, she only got the confirmaton once she reached here, and that's even after she was over the due date by what..2 months?
+Quote Post
jethro
post Jun 10 2009, 05:00 PM

So is the JPA scholarship open already for ALevel students applying to top UK universities? (I have a conditional offer from Imperial)
+Quote Post
Xenocide
post Aug 18 2009, 09:09 PM

Can a credit transfer student apply this scholarship?
+Quote Post
yixuany
post Mar 21 2010, 02:36 AM

Getting Started

i can't seem to find this scholarship at the jpa website :/
everything there is just for the spm leavers only..
can anyone put the direct link here please?
+Quote Post
aimanamia
post May 4 2010, 11:30 PM

hi there,

I have obtain admission to the G08 Aussie and have the offer letter from the university,is there any chances for me to get the JPA scholarship?

any info please,thank you~ I'll go for this july intake, huh ASAP sweat.gif
+Quote Post
ccm123
post May 4 2010, 11:48 PM

On my way

Pretty late I'd say, because they only have very limited pax this year. And it depends on what course u're applying as well smile.gif

As for AUS, they only sponsor to ANU, Sydney and Melb.

+Quote Post
happy_pink
post May 6 2010, 06:30 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ccm123 @ May 4 2010, 10:48 PM)
Pretty late I'd say, because they only have very limited pax this year. And it depends on what course u're applying as well smile.gif

As for AUS, they only sponsor to ANU, Sydney and Melb.
that one is continue from 2008
not now only apply
+Quote Post
ccm123
post May 6 2010, 08:18 PM

On my way

@happy pink, no you're wrong, jpa has this Tajaan tambahan ivy league and setara scholarship, which isn't announced to the public, anyway you guys can check more info from the following link;

http://recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7411
+Quote Post
happy_pink
post May 6 2010, 08:32 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ccm123 @ May 6 2010, 07:18 PM)
@happy pink, no you're wrong, jpa has this Tajaan tambahan ivy league and setara scholarship, which isn't announced to the public, anyway you guys can check more info from the following link;

http://recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7411
erm i see
sorry
+Quote Post
Grimm
post May 6 2010, 10:45 PM

I don't know anymore

Yeah, I heard they only do ANU, USyd and UniMelb for Australia. Does that mean these 3 are the "ivy league" of the southern hemisphere? biggrin.gif

w00t w00t!
+Quote Post
BibiMon
post Apr 7 2011, 08:45 PM

Erm... But what if it's UQ medicine? Will I stand a chance anyhow?
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1387sec    1.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 02:23 AM