3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Sonus Faber, The artisan of sound

views

runemastertan
post Oct 25 2009, 11:25 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

Anyone know how much is SFCD bookshelf worth now?
runemastertan
post Oct 26 2009, 10:18 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(Enigmatic @ Oct 25 2009, 11:55 PM)
Second hand or first hand value? laugh.gif
Should be around RM4.5k or so. smile.gif Would you want me to inquire on your behalf? laugh.gif
You would? WOW thanks a lot^^
runemastertan
post Oct 30 2009, 08:15 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Oct 30 2009, 03:17 AM)
i had just recently acquired my third set of harmonix 909 MKI. =P

today just audit the LUITO MONITOR.
and seriously. it's one hell of superb impressive speaker.
very very transparent sound, very fast speed. very nice bass..
as i test it side by side comparison with a grand piano home (older floorstander). and the floorstander is A LOT worst than the bookshelve itself.. very very impressive.just the sound is slightly tight due to lack of run in. the luito is just on for less than 20 hours.
setup:
source - Audio analoge Paganini
Amp - Audio Analoge Verdi Gento
Cable - Nordost dunno what cable + Transparent dunno what speaker cable. but doesn't seems to be "beautiful" priced item.
and some harmonix tweaks around the room and the setup..
PcWork, did you catch the price tag for the Liuto Monitor?
runemastertan
post Nov 1 2009, 12:48 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

I just audition toy today, against Opera Mezzo and KEF iQ70. I tried both Toy towers and monitor, and Toy win hands down. Toy towers do a slight better than the monitor. Might be taking home the Toy Tower, but wanna ask something first.

There is a Concertino Domus Tower, and comparing both Domus and Toy, in all of your opinion, which is better?

Anyone know how much can I get Domus Tower at? If it is cheaper than Toy Tower, I might as well get the Domus.

Please advice
runemastertan
post Nov 2 2009, 10:49 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

Sorry., PcWork. I am from Penang so I couldn;t be in KL on that day. Sorry, and thank a lot for your invitation. Appreciate it very much.

This post has been edited by runemastertan: Nov 2 2009, 04:01 PM
runemastertan
post Nov 4 2009, 10:23 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

Penang, RM7.5k

This post has been edited by runemastertan: Nov 4 2009, 10:24 AM
runemastertan
post Nov 5 2009, 04:50 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

ya, but Liuto bookshelf is over RM10k, huge difference there
runemastertan
post Nov 5 2009, 07:37 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

New, brand new
runemastertan
post Nov 6 2009, 08:13 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Nov 6 2009, 01:42 AM)
does the price comes with full warrenty? 3 year full warrenty?
because i called perfect hifi, as they are distributor and yet their selling price is higher than that. so i worry that the toy tower doesn't cover warrenty for the price. which shop is selling that cheap? u got contact number or not? are they dealer of sonus faber?
Penang HiFi Choice

Hi-Fi Choice
488D-01-01 & 02-01
Midlands Park Centre, 1 Stop
Jalan Burma, 10350,
Penang

Tel: +604-2295880
Fax: +604-2265880

One thing about speakers is they rarely spoilt. I am not saying it won;t break, just that it's not that easy to break. I haven't asked for the warranty, but you can phone the guy from Hi Fi Choice and ask him about it. The boss and employee there are really friendly^^

This post has been edited by runemastertan: Nov 6 2009, 08:43 AM
runemastertan
post Nov 11 2009, 11:37 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

Hi all, please advice me. I got a chance at Toy Tower, Concerto Domus (Tower) and Liuto Monitor. Which is better? Thanks
runemastertan
post Nov 11 2009, 12:02 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

Then thing is the Liuto Monitor I am going to buy is from online, so I can;t really try it. But from what sifu PcWork says, Liuto is the way to go, beating both Toy and Domus

Opps, sorry. It is not domus, but Grand Piano

This post has been edited by runemastertan: Nov 11 2009, 12:02 PM
runemastertan
post Nov 11 2009, 03:05 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

it was suppose to be ASL Av25 monoblock, as I plan to buy both amp and speakers together. But something happened that I was force to buy the speakers first, amp later. Will use back old JVC amp for the mean time.
runemastertan
post Nov 11 2009, 03:57 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

True, will try to listen to the speakers, maybe this weekend. But I was assured by the shop owner that Liuto is a better choice during my last visit, but didn;t set it up since it was way over my budget.
runemastertan
post Nov 11 2009, 10:37 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(dlyz @ Nov 11 2009, 06:55 PM)
How much is the monoblock master? Are monoblocks normally sold in pairs or price is for 1 unit?
Go to Tong Lee, he;s selling it couple with preamp for RM4299. Some company price the monoblock as 1, some in pair. If you are going to buy monoblock, then you need to watch out for it
runemastertan
post Dec 3 2009, 04:56 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Dec 3 2009, 03:27 PM)
haih... so nice..
after hear the TOY as computer speaker.. i really give up on my current desktop speaker.
lol
never expected that philips aurillium + toy can sound that good.
i always blame my sound card. but now i think it's aego m that is the bottle neck...
Can;t compare Toy with Aego M, both are in different world and class.
runemastertan
post Dec 4 2009, 10:10 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

Dear all Sonus Faber sifus,

Is 25wpc able to drive a Toy Tower? I am really in a fix about this here. Please help

Thanks
runemastertan
post Dec 4 2009, 07:38 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Dec 4 2009, 01:55 PM)
can have sound. but don't expect more of the control.
I live is a small room, can it go to at least 89 - 90db with 25wpc? If cannot then I might drop the idea of getting the amp. Or is that another way to push the 25wpc amp to higher wattage?

Please help
runemastertan
post Dec 5 2009, 09:56 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Dec 5 2009, 07:49 PM)
well . the point is. even you use 25 watt. you can reach to a very loud volume. but a lot of things will be mess up. like attack of the bass will seems to slow down. transient respond of the speaker, micro dynamics which will greatly effects the reflected sound reproduction, and all in all might decrease the information you can get from your speaker.
if you need the amp just for an easy listening. then you can go ahead and use it. i believe it can be driven to a quite loud volume.

however, if your main target is for easy listening. and might spend a really long time before your amp upgrade. i will suggest you to go for cheaper speaker and spend the rest of the budget to get a acceptable amp. imho this way u can get BETTER outcome from the same budget.
but if you are going to upgrade soon or later. then u can try to use the 25 watt in the first place.and then upgrade later on

i am using NAD 3020A 25 watt integrated for quite sometime for my concertino which is rated at 89db. and it can reach very loud volume too. but again, the watt isn't refers to the maximum volume ur speaker can achieve because my listening experience i barely even goes through 10 watt  / 15 watt according to the LED wattage indicator on the NAD itself. unless the volume is loud and there's a huge bass slam.
so the wattage will going to greatly influence the control of the amp to the driver.

IF your amp has the "taste" that you like a lot. and it shall stick within your gear. i will suggest you to go for musical fidelity super charger 500 watt. it's sort of buffer for amp. and able to remain the amp sound signature while providing much more control.
PcWork, thanks for your input. I got a little confuse....you said that 25w can get Toy Tower to a very loud volume, but you also says that everything will be kinda bad. 10 to 15watt is still lower than 25 watt, so it should be no clipping, or the symptom mention above. Or is it not? I got confuse here because. My previous amp is SS amp with 100watt output, and I usually turn the knob to around near 50%, that time my speakers is Aego T, a 86db. But now I am going for a tube amp, that amp uses EL34 and just output a 25wpc. I haven;t bought the amp yet, am going to buy if it;s ok. If it's not really recommended by sifu like you, then I might drop the idea.

PcWork, you have my gratitude and thanks. TarePanda, you too. Thanks
runemastertan
post Dec 6 2009, 07:58 PM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Dec 6 2009, 04:02 PM)
it's not kinda bad. but the speed , attack, and a lot of tiny tiny stuff might fade off through tube amp.
but again. since you are going it for easy listening. i think EL34 for Toy Tower could work.
and it shall be no problem in obtaining loud volume.
put it this way. Amp, does not only drive the speaker. but sometime it does control the driver too.
just as what i said earlier long time ago. that the speaker VS amp is like Car VS engine analogy.
driving a big speaker with lower amp, is as driving a car without brake.
it can all the way speed up (getting loud) but when the membrane needs to moves back in opposite direction the amp will have less the power to counter the momentum of the driver itself as it's wattage isn't that big.
for amp with proper control (bigger wattage for control), then the amp capable to pull back the driver to opposite direction as it can afford bigger load. that's the control i am talking about. however if you are not doing a direct side by side comparison, it shouldn't be a big problem.

this also explain why dynaudio bookshelve speaker require 300 watt minimum output.  it doesn't mean that the speaker can blast as loud as 300 watt (probably ear already deaf); it is meaning that the speaker needs amp that can output 300-watt power to be able to control it so that the speaker have the correct speed / counter momentum
and it also explain why we buy big big amp, and yet still turning the volume control at 20-30%  or / 50% .
Some one might curious : why don't we buy smaller amp? say we buy 500-Watt amp, yet we use 10% of volume control. isn't that meaning that we buy 50-Watt amp shall sound the same as 500-Watt at 10%? it doesn't. because some times it might need heavier load to push back the driver to the position it shall be. and even micro-seconds of the time will still effect the overall presentation of the music, that's what ppl call rhythm and pace.
If i am not mistaken. when i tested the TOY TOWER (not Toy monitor) the TOY TOWER need almost 50% power to obtain volume as loud as SFCD on solid state. (SFCD is 89db / 4ohm. while TOY tower is 89db / 8 ohm)
no doubt tube amp has higher loudness output. but as i said. it can be use. but don't expect too much from it. especially things like speed, punch, and micro refinement.

Editted : PS :  of course, the audio research is totally another story. that audio research is infact pretty impressive to me, or i could even said i admire what an AR can do. if runemastertan is talking about an audio research amp to match a toy tower. i will say "go ahead, fast fast grab it. it won't make u regret".
lol
QUOTE(outdoorxplorer @ Dec 6 2009, 07:34 PM)
LOL.... Thanks for inserting the qualification which I had missed out. Audio Research is another class of amplification which should be compared with consumer grade solid state amp.... I missed my previous setup though.. Wish to have extra cash to bring back the memories.
Oh....what;s the deal with Audio Research?

The amp I am considering for is Antique Sound Lab monoblock Av25 with a matching preamp. Tong Lee is selling it for RM4+++. Any recommendation for amp around that price range, PcWork? I looked at Bewitch KT88/6550, it has 60wpc, but I couldn;t get any audition on the amp, so i let it pass by. Another reason is the ASL has a remote control for the preamp, which is a great plus for me

Once again PcWork, and others, you have my gratitude

This post has been edited by runemastertan: Dec 6 2009, 08:22 PM
runemastertan
post Dec 7 2009, 10:55 AM

Regular
1,221 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Dec 6 2009, 08:54 PM)
i strongly believed that it's not the "extra cash" things that hold u back. it's a matter of you want it or not.. lol..
hm.. i never actually heard of those amp you are talking.
so i cannot really suggest you on that. i had come across an tube amp using EL34 making my SFCD sounds terribly SHARP and HARSH. much more harsh than my old NAD 3020A / Audio Analoge Primo Settanta V2. however, my pass experience to deal with antique stuff, is a night mare experience. non stop repair, tweaking.. caps burst, transformer not good, transistor left right imbalance.. this this that that.. NON STOP. while in the end. i feel i was being played by those antique stuff..
you must use it with tube? if so. pls do consider of new tube with warranty. / old tube amp with long enough warranty.

but honestly. i will really suggest you to go to perfect hifi to pay them a visit, since you are going to play with sonus faber. just directly shoot them with what u think. and how much ur budget u have. then ask them to recommend u somethings.

if the things not nice. directly tell them. "this is NOT GOOD as compare to other shop offered me, what else u can offer" . i never hesitate to tell the shop that i am not happy with the sound or i am actually prefer other type of sound. but after all , i usually can find what i want. so. don't be shame / hesitate to tell the shop what kind of sound u are looking for. if they are out of their ability to satisfied ur need of the sound, tell them , sorry, i prefer other amp offered by other shop.

i recently come across some customer while i am in perfect hifi & CMY audio. some customer don't even wanna give comment to the sound. when they were asked. they were simply say "ya ya.. good good" while they don't feel it's good, and they keep their though in their own brain only. while they are expecting the shop to impress them without even letting the shop to know what kind of sound they are looking for. some said they are not familiar with the shop, that's why not good to shoot. and some said they are poor, no money, so they better don't say the things is not good. that's very weird altitude imho. because for me. although i have limited budget. i can always alter my choice and tell them i actually prefer warmer sound / faster sound  / more exciting sound.
then only they can give a useful suggestion for me to choose.
Oh? It;s china made amp. Look here:

Bewitch 6550/KT88
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Bewitch-6550-KT88-T...=item3a5585812b

Antique Sound Lab Wave AV-25
http://www.divertech.com/aslwaveav20dt.htm

China made amps are getting better and better these days, but some poor fellas do get bad or poorly built amp. I guess it's all down to luck.

you must use it with tube?

I fancy the sound from tube, the warmth sound, not overly bright. I know SS amps are able to produce sound that are better or equal to tubes, but tube always has the "glowing" factor that fascinates me, if you know what i mean. But then again, if tube isn;t really the best match for Toy Tower within the budget that I've set, then I'll drop the idea. I rather drop it than to feel sorry for myself. Maybe buy a SS amp, then put in a tube buffer.

Your advice is a good one. Does Perfect HiFi sell Sonus Faber? I am not from Kl, so I am not that sure. If it does, the next trip to KL, I'll journey down to Perfect HiFi. As I know, Perfect HiFi has many branches, which does you refer to?

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0368sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:50 AM