Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.
2 Pages  1 2 > 
RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> ARCHITECTURE IN LIMKOKWING OR TAYLORS?, suggestion pls (Art & Design)

sironlev
post May 20 2008, 12:16 AM

Group: Junior Member

I get straight to the point..there are pros and cons doing architecture in limkokwing and taylors

Limkokwing
Pros:
-very well known for it's architecture than taylors (eg i went for counselling at sunway they recommend me go to limkokwing rather than taylors which is nearer)
-well recognized in australia since their architecture course connects with the university at australia eg. RMIT, Curtin and so on
-i compared the student showcase of limkokwing and taylors, limkokwing 1 more nicer and more creative than of taylors
-i heard the teaching at limkokwing is not spoonfeeding as in taylors (i guess)
-lots of international friends, which give u many idea and many intresting thoughts
-limkokwing campus better than taylors

Cons:
-Far from my area. if no jam 20 min. jam 2 hours
-the orang hitam...zzz
-i heard it is not recognized in PAM (Persatuan Arkitek Malaysia) but i know it is recognized in aussie la
-i know there are alot issues concerning limkokwing and there might some victims that don like limkokwing. but so far it doesnt affects me

Taylors
Pros:
-Very near to my area, 2 min of driving
-more locals, which make me feel homefeel and dont run from my chinese culture
-nearer to sunway pyramid, which can go lepak when got long breaks
-recognized by PAM, which can find a job in malaysia easily (though i don plan to stay on malaysia sleep.gif)
-super convenient

Cons:
-i heard quality wise limkokwing are better
-taylors are famous for its Alevels and SAM, not in degree courses besides business and hospitality
-DAM alot ppl dono taylors got architecture. that giving me serious doubts

As u can see both are almost balance. So i need alot of suggestions.

And im now doing foundation in built environment in limkokwing. End of the year either i stay on limkokwing or taylors, that will see all of how u guys respond biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by sironlev: May 20 2008, 12:29 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bonboner
post May 20 2008, 12:34 AM

yo i'm on year 3 in LUCT right now...
i have friends who transfered to taylors after year 1 and...
wat i can sum up from wat he compared for these 2 uni's,
1. LUCT is definately stronger in term of design-wise n creativity exploration as taylor is more to construction and technical kind of thing.
2. LUCT is also recoqnised by PAM btw
3. management in LUCT is suck ass! taylor is more organised and all
4. if u can endure n survive in LUCT majoring in architecture, u'll do well in any other university abroad mad.gif
hahahaha
so,
if u wanna explore your creativity n push your design forward-LUCT
if u wanna be a book-worm n learn all the technical stuff rather than designin-taylors

hope it helps bro icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
mphpopular
post May 20 2008, 12:36 AM

bar chartist
Group: Senior Member

I think limkokweng better. the feedbak and rating for limkokweng batter than taylor
+Quote Post
michaelfoo
post May 20 2008, 12:37 AM

Regular

My vote goes to Lim Kok Wing.

Taylor's College is good in Pre-U studies like A Level's & SAM only. Architecture wise, LKW is more established.

While I understand one can find it hard to live with the blacks who are from different culture and background, but it shouldn't be a factor for you to turn down LKW because you can't expect to stay in your own colony even when you're working, can you?

Cheers.

+Quote Post
azarimy
post May 20 2008, 12:37 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

there's a thread about architecture pinned in this section. u can find out in great detail there.
+Quote Post
sironlev
post May 20 2008, 12:38 AM

ya...summore architecture course has lesser blacks in it..so it doesnt really bothers me

and i know LUCT management really bad hahaha i had bad time with the bursary ppl

but the teaching at there really open u to many creative stuff lor...taylors then i dono

This post has been edited by sironlev: May 20 2008, 12:40 AM
+Quote Post
azarimy
post May 20 2008, 12:45 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE(sironlev @ May 19 2008, 04:16 PM)
I get straight to the point..there are pros and cons doing architecture in limkokwing and taylors

Limkokwing
Pros:
-very well known for it's architecture than taylors (eg i went for counselling at sunway they recommend me go to limkokwing rather than taylors which is nearer)
-well recognized in australia since their architecture course connects with the university at australia eg. RMIT, Curtin and so on
-i compared the student showcase of limkokwing and taylors, limkokwing 1 more nicer and more creative than of taylors
-i heard the teaching at limkokwing is not spoonfeeding as in taylors (i guess)
-lots of international friends, which give u many idea and many intresting thoughts
-limkokwing campus better than taylors

Cons:
-Far from my area. if no jam 20 min. jam 2 hours
-the orang hitam...zzz
-i heard it is not recognized in PAM (Persatuan Arkitek Malaysia) but i know it is recognized in aussie la
-i know there are alot issues concerning limkokwing and there might some victims that don like limkokwing. but so far it doesnt affects me

Taylors
Pros:
-Very near to my area, 2 min of driving
-more locals, which make me feel homefeel and dont run from my chinese culture
-nearer to sunway pyramid, which can go lepak when got long breaks
-recognized by PAM, which can find a job in malaysia easily (though i don plan to stay on malaysia sleep.gif)
-super convenient

Cons:
-i heard quality wise limkokwing are better
-taylors are famous for its Alevels and SAM, not in degree courses besides business and hospitality
-DAM alot ppl dono taylors got architecture. that giving me serious doubts
As u can see both are almost balance. So i need alot of suggestions.

And im now doing foundation in built environment in limkokwing. End of the year either i stay on limkokwing or taylors, that will see all of how u guys respond biggrin.gif
+ LKW only have relations with curtin, and taylor's with melbourne. yang lain tu tempias aje.
+ spoonfeeding is everywhere in private architecture schools.
+ LKW international? well, a vast majority is from botswana, but sure, they're international enough.
+ and yes, LKW has better campus facilities.
+ no, LAM does not recognize any of LKW's or taylor's architecture programme. even after u get back from aussie, u still need to sit for the LAM examinations.

this is my personal opinion:

+ LKW are quickly loosing good lecturers bcoz they're too far away from KL. most practicing architects in LKW have been enticed by UCSI and taylor's. LKW do pay them more, but i think it's to keep them in LKW rather bcoz they're better.
+ several students have left LKW to join other schools. there's an ex-LKW student who tried very hard to get away from the school who eventually ended up in UTM. go ask his experience.
+ in my experience being external examiner, taylor's students are more rounded and better equipped than LKW.
+Quote Post
sironlev
post May 20 2008, 12:50 AM

QUOTE(azarimy @ May 20 2008, 12:45 AM)
+ LKW only have relations with curtin, and taylor's with melbourne. yang lain tu tempias aje.
+ spoonfeeding is everywhere in private architecture schools.
+ LKW international? well, a vast majority is from botswana, but sure, they're international enough.
+ and yes, LKW has better campus facilities.
+ no, LAM does not recognize any of LKW's or taylor's architecture programme. even after u get back from aussie, u still need to sit for the LAM examinations.

this is my personal opinion:

+ LKW are quickly loosing good lecturers bcoz they're too far away from KL. most practicing architects in LKW have been enticed by UCSI and taylor's. LKW do pay them more, but i think it's to keep them in LKW rather bcoz they're better.
+ several students have left LKW to join other schools. there's an ex-LKW student who tried very hard to get away from the school who eventually ended up in UTM. go ask his experience.
+ in my experience being external examiner, taylor's students are more rounded and better equipped than LKW.
...very hard decision to make......some say lkw better...some say go taylors well equipped...

somebody HELP ME
+Quote Post
toda_erika_II
post May 20 2008, 01:58 AM

Casual

QUOTE(sironlev @ May 20 2008, 01:50 AM)
...very hard decision to make......some say lkw better...some say go taylors well equipped...

somebody HELP ME

Lol my advise will be try to distinguish between their personal opinions (like 'i think lkw is better' or 'management in lkw is bad') and facts (like 'lkw's management is less organized than taylor's ) and make the consideration yourself tongue.gif
haha sorry i'm not here to contribute as i dunno about the courses in those two college, but my friend in lkw told me it's pretty tough to pass in lkw (maybe taylor's too tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
sironlev
post May 20 2008, 02:24 AM

for what i know la, for me LUCT is only GOOD for it's architecture, about arts and multimedia those i dont bother much.

Though there are many bad stuff going around LUCT, still every uni and college has it's own personal pros and cons right?

As far as i know LUCT architecture is more stable and more establish, and i dont hear any complains from the faculty of architecture and built environment so far.

As for taylors they are also not bad. Taylors has lesser dirty rumours spreading around but....i was still told that LUCT architectural is still better than taylors..i dono about that so i need suggestion from students from LUCT architecture and so as from taylors to give suggestion happy.gif
+Quote Post
azarimy
post May 20 2008, 05:28 AM

Group Icon

if u want established architecture courses in malaysia, then opt for IPTAs instead. schools like UM have RIBA (UK standard), while other schools like UTM and USM are already well established and recognized worldwide. u can continue straight after part 1 from these IPTAs to any part 2 schools in the world without having to repeat any subjects or credits.

IPTS are less established in the architecture fields. none of them have facilities to support post graduate research. this means they have less expertise to carry the education or research to the next level. so they just concentrate in producing undergraduates. even so, they still have limitations in producing their own brand of undergraduate, due to partnership degrees offered.
+Quote Post
jayxunned
post May 20 2008, 10:33 AM

Casual

Actually is you to decide.....! For me any college college is the same...the important thing is that you can study and you are indeed study well! Thus, What environment you wanted to study with. It makes a lot of difference which studies shows. If You want to experience Campus life...there u go, Brother Lim U ; in contrast if u are a homesick person or prefer conviniencelity, Taylors here u are!! ...

Dun look at the pro's n con's ...there is just a word of mouth from public and their own marketing Promo...Which Private sector U or college dun wanna earn money u tell me ?...tongue.gif...

Anyway is your choice .... hands on you...!!

+Quote Post
schizophrenic
post May 20 2008, 10:40 AM

Tribute to Tun Mohamed Suffian Hashim (1917-2000)

QUOTE(jayxunned @ May 20 2008, 10:33 AM)
Actually is you to decide.....! For me any college college is the same...the important thing is that you can study and you are indeed study well! Thus, What environment you wanted to study with. It makes a lot of difference which studies shows. If You want to experience Campus life...there u go, Brother Lim U ; in contrast if u are a homesick person or prefer conviniencelity, Taylors here u are!! ...

Dun look at the pro's n con's ...there is just a word of mouth from public and their own marketing Promo...Which Private sector U or college dun wanna earn money u tell me ?...tongue.gif...

Anyway is your choice .... hands on you...!!
Do not forget that if the TS wants to be an architect, he will have to consider additional factors in determining his preferred institution.
Studying at LKW or Taylors for his architecture will require him to apply for Part 1 exemption. There are no automatic exemptions for IPTS in Malaysia.

TS: you should have considered asking this question at the pinned thread http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/623018
+Quote Post
jayxunned
post May 20 2008, 10:46 AM

Casual

are there limited institution for these course? I'm not so sure... I'm a Law n Econs students...smile.gif

Anyway appreciate for the extra info added..
+Quote Post
schizophrenic
post May 20 2008, 10:49 AM

Tribute to Tun Mohamed Suffian Hashim (1917-2000)

QUOTE(jayxunned @ May 20 2008, 10:46 AM)
are there limited institution for these course? I'm not so sure... I'm a Law n Econs students...smile.gif

Anyway appreciate for the extra info added..
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I would put additional weight on opinions given by azarimy with regard to architectural related fields.

This post has been edited by schizophrenic: May 20 2008, 10:51 AM
+Quote Post
roy_zu
post May 20 2008, 05:31 PM

- Back in Business -

I'm a ex-luct student... Architecture is one of the best studies there.. Coz all the good lectures there.. If compare other studies in LUCT, Architecture is the best one.. Damm hard to pass coz u need to put alot of effert... But damm expensive also.. My fren paid 18k for single semester...
+Quote Post
sironlev
post May 20 2008, 08:35 PM

oh okay..i think i sort of know what to do adi... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Benjamin911
post May 21 2008, 04:54 PM

~`~artisan`~

Hi, I am studying Architecture at Taylors College. IMO, it is a pretty good institution for Architecture studies. The lecturers are active and friendly, and they are also knowledgeable and responsible; they are concern for us students. In addition to that, our lecturers are also understanding and helpful.

Whenever we ask our lecturers about something, they will always have a good answer to it; and they will also end up giving us extra lectures on the subject in question.

Lecture sessions are always interesting and interactive because our lecturers communicate to us like a friend, and they also make the lecture session active by frequently asking us questions; making the lecture session a two way conversation.

In addition to all that, our lecturers are also responsible, they want to make sure that we can finish our assignments and get a decent score for them; even if it means giving us extra time or keeping us informed about the grading criteria. (I can feel that they are concerned about our entry into the University of Melbourne later on, in which they have assumed that all of us would be doing so; right after our Diploma.) Often, our lecturers would also mention "things" that the University of Melbourne would be looking out for. Recently, our program was undergoing the routine moderation from the University of Melbourne. (Our professor had to rush off to the meeting right after speaking to us.) Clearly, this shows the type of standard that Taylors have to satisfy really...

Our lecturers are understanding, they allow us to explain ourselves and accept our explanations when we had disappoint them in some ways. Once, when I submitted an uncompleted assignment on its due date, my lecturer got really concerned. When I told him that I didn't know how to perform those particular parts of the assignment, he immediately settled down in front of the others to teach me.

Last but not the least, our lecturers are helpful. Frequently, they would come to our workplace to check that we are doing fine. If we need any help, they would quickly assist us. (I really pity my lecturers for design communication, they had to constantly go to and from three (3) separated studios, with each containing around 20+ students who all had to be lectured on the exact same subject! It was remarkable that after giving the same lecture twice, and illustrating the same subject twice, the lecturer could still remain so cool and calm when he came into our studio to present that lecture and illustration for the THIRD time.) As if that isn't already bad enough, our design com lecturers also have to go to and from the same three studios to help out the students with their works from time to time. This certainly speak positive volumes of the lecturer's attitude.

In terms of the facilities at Taylors College P.J. (Leisure Commerce Square) where the school of Architecture is located, I would say that the facilities for our Architectural studies are pretty decent, though there is nothing so great about it. In this respect, I would be lead to believe that the facilities at LIMKOKWING University are better; having paid a visit to that place before, with a camera too. smile.gif

Well, that's all I can say for now...

I desperately need to log off now to study for my mid-term exam for Building Materials...+ I have many more other things to worry about as well...sigh.

Goodbye.
+Quote Post
PopperSano
post Jun 8 2008, 05:56 PM

Group: New Member

Votes for limkokwing for its architecture science degree..which the architecture science degree is firstly introduce in Malaysia through Limkokwing university..It WAS one and only in Malaysia..Taylor just got the degree programme...It is a brighter future in overboard rather than Malaysia..Malaysia policy is high expense,low income..Increasing expense,same income...GO FOR LIMKOKWING..although orang hitam ialah akar masalah situ...

Added on June 8, 2008, 5:57 pmVotes for limkokwing for its architecture science degree..which the architecture science degree is firstly introduce in Malaysia through Limkokwing university..It WAS one and only in Malaysia..Taylor just got the degree programme...It is a brighter future in overboard rather than Malaysia..Malaysia policy is high expense,low income..Increasing expense,same income...GO FOR LIMKOKWING..although orang hitam ialah akar masalah situ...

This post has been edited by PopperSano: Jun 8 2008, 05:57 PM
+Quote Post
Nebomarzed
post May 29 2011, 11:02 AM

Group: New Member

Urm,well I would like to know when the new intake for diploma in architecture in Luct what is their fees and what should i prepare before get in Luct...Thanks... ASAP
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0656sec    2.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 09:05 PM