SPM English, anyone have it??

views

radkliler
post May 21 2008, 06:47 PM

WUBWUBWUB
985 posts

My english = A1

My GCE-O = A2

as for wanting bombastic words....u gonna have to read more novels and more articles...

Basically READ MORE
mowkey
post May 21 2008, 10:09 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(radkliler @ May 21 2008, 06:47 PM)
My english = A1

My GCE-O = A2

as for wanting bombastic words....u gonna have to read more novels and more articles...

Basically READ MORE
Oi same result ^^

After u use all ure 'bombastic' word it will become bombastic no more tongue.gif
What's important is how suitable a word is to the specific sentence/story. But of course the use of 'usually uncommon'/'bombastic' words may help show you're level of vocab.

millionaire
post May 21 2008, 11:08 PM

40 posts

listen to the teacher[i mean specifically those who speak proper english like my ex-teacher]
satayboy2003
post May 22 2008, 02:42 AM

L.O.V.E
635 posts

Read Dictionary!!!!!!!!!

the best way ever!
schizophrenic
post May 22 2008, 06:25 AM

Tribute to Tun Mohamed Suffian Hashim (1917-2000)
1,645 posts

Read 'Judging the Judges' by Dato NH Chan
A lot of my friends with A1 for both SPM and GCE O couldn't handle it. If you can handle it then I am sure that it will be beneficial for your understanding of the English language.
macho_siot
post May 22 2008, 09:03 AM

Ba da la la la
572 posts

listen for the songs..
Octavios
post May 22 2008, 02:25 PM

Casual
336 posts

QUOTE(macho_siot @ May 22 2008, 09:03 AM)
listen for the songs..
Does it help?LOL,the songs now usually using short form and some words didnt really can be usable.
ccm123
post May 22 2008, 04:23 PM

On my way
579 posts

Just write in decent and understandable languages will do. Trust me on that smile.gif
TSvick5821
post May 22 2008, 04:27 PM

3,871 posts

EST essay how to write?
yummeh
post May 22 2008, 04:35 PM

31 posts

EST? read more tongue.gif

There's really no short cut.

I'd think if you were to throw in all the bombastic words but disrupt the flow of your essay, you'd do much worse than if you'd just write a plain text one.

TSvick5821
post May 22 2008, 04:37 PM

3,871 posts

my EST teacher never teach..til now we also dunoe what is abt EST
radkliler
post May 22 2008, 06:16 PM

WUBWUBWUB
985 posts

EST essay is based on two things....

1. Ur knowledge of the question

2. Ur essay's format

On 1 , u must know the fact behind the question. If the question asks you about the pros and cons about Nuclear Power (example) , then u must state the prons and cons which are FACTUAL coz examiners WILL check ur answers on the interweb.

On 2 , the marking scheme of EST essay is the most frustrating point of the entire essay. U need to know the marking scheme in order to score high marks for essay.
TSvick5821
post May 22 2008, 06:36 PM

3,871 posts

how to write a good english continuous writing?? i kindly tomolo having english essay..i scare continuous writing

radkliler
post May 22 2008, 06:39 PM

WUBWUBWUB
985 posts

lol...choose a topic which u can elaborate a lot and just write what u noe about the topic.
TSvick5821
post May 22 2008, 06:47 PM

3,871 posts

the problem is i scare no even 1 question i noe to do
radkliler
post May 22 2008, 06:49 PM

WUBWUBWUB
985 posts

well then just pick one that you think is easy then get on with it
TSvick5821
post May 22 2008, 06:59 PM

3,871 posts

i most scare i cant think of the point...sob...sob...
ludicur0us~
post May 23 2008, 03:00 AM

2 posts

hey biggrin.gif

well. i have lots of it last year, wen i went for mr. murugan's class in KASTURI.
phrases such as;

"I watched his eyes glistened with myriads of hope", etc etc. is written in so many papers which i recycled already!~
and well you might memorize all this things for no reason at all.
but i guess my school eng teacher gave a rather brilliant advice and told me that,

"SPM English& GCE O is NOT testing ur ability in writing such bombastic english essays. AS LONG as ur grammar is correct (this is very important) and you include 3-4 excellent vocabulary, definitely the essay part wouldnt be such a problem, and an A as a matter of fact"

last year i wasnt afraid abt my spm english at all cus its a free A1 for me (haha, yeah i sound perasan, but well i do read lots of book so, the essay part wasnt the problem) but the thing that scared me the most was GCE O level.

my dilemma was: "to write or not to write "bombastic" through and through?"
well, i DIDNT. i wrote simple, uncomplicated, and added a few phrases that's bombastic."

WHY?: cus some malaysian english teachers are not capable to understand higher usage of words/phrases, believe me.. My teacher scolded me for using the word "gnashing" once cus she had to look up in the dictionary. and well as an examiner, i dont tink the teacher wants to waste time finding for any definition either.

haha. and thankfully my English and GCE, both A1!~ haha. if not i wud have strangled some teacher for not understanding pure and simple ENGLISH.
my advice to you is: brush up on your grammar, its the MOST important of all! (there are so many grammar books out der) ~ and den try reading the newspaper or english magazines everyday without fail, there's always new words to find there. Finally, as the idiom goes, time and tide waits for no one.. as long as you put some effort for english it wouldnt be a problem, you can please stop worrying abt it and concentrate more on ur elective subject!~

btw: if u want good phrases and idioms, ask any kasturi KL students for mr. murugan's notes. he usually will write these phrases on the board. or if not, just read all this fiction books. there are so many types of creative writing styles. good luck!~

darkhorse_86
post May 23 2008, 04:18 AM

Getting Started
152 posts

Hello Threadstarter!

Firstly, I suggest that you just grab a novel to read and write down incomprehensible words in a book, or type them in microsoft word and then look in the dictionary and on google or dictionary.com in order to improve your vocabulary. Then, you should review the list periodically to ensure that you fully comprehend the meanings of the words. Try to form sentences with the words if you're not confident. I was taught to do this in high school and it had improved my english vocabulary.

Note that having 'bombastic' words in your essay doesn't mean that you will automatically be granted a free pass for an A1 in both SPM and 1119, for an essay with rich words and sub-standard grammar is just like a house built on weak foundations. Therefore, the methodology of intending to obtain a list of rich words, and then attempting to apply them to an essay will not work. The meanings of those words must be understood by the writer, and then applied appropriately in order to maintain the logical flow of the essay. This is because I feel that a solid combination of good grammar, usage of words and jargon, as well as the logical sequence of the constructed paragraph in an essay will result in a good grade in english.

In conclusion, there is no shortcut to get an A1 in SPM english. It takes a lot of reading and understanding. I hope this helps, and good luck for your SPM.

Beoylim
post May 23 2008, 08:05 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(vick5821 @ May 17 2008, 12:00 PM)
anyone have list of beautiful word of english for writing essay??
beautiful words?
mmh...
isn't it when writing an essay is depends?

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:22 AM