Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Kuching, Sarawak (Travel)

designer69
post May 17 2008, 09:35 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I am bringing my family to Kuching and i never been there. I search the hotel info from cuti.com but most of them come without a photo.

Can anyone who familiar with Kuching tell me more about Kuching? and beach in Kuching?My mother prefer beach.

I found the Damai Puri Resort. will it be too far from the Kuching airport?

Please.. tell me more about Kuching's hotel and food!

Thank you!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TEDDYpet
post May 17 2008, 10:04 AM

yes, all the beach area in kuching is far from airport you can try the santubong resort also near beach.

food is nice there kuching laksa, mee kolo, ais kacang,sotong rojak and many other delicious foods too
+Quote Post
magnum
post May 17 2008, 12:08 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(designer69 @ May 17 2008, 10:35 AM)
I am bringing my family to Kuching and i never been there. I search the hotel info from cuti.com but most of them come without a photo.

Can anyone who familiar with Kuching tell me more about Kuching? and beach in Kuching?My mother prefer beach.

Thank you!!
Hotels nearby beach are Damai Puri hotel, it's just renovated...and it look more like a resort now. Beside it, is Damai Beach Resort.... i'd attached the Damai Puri hotel's photos which i took during my visit last march...These hotels are ard 45min - 1 hr drive fr the kuching Interntional airport.
if you want to live in the town area, there are Harbour View Hotel, Crown Plaza Hotel and Holiday Inn Hotel.. these hotels are nearby the Kuching Water Front Area and the Golden Triangle area of Kuching.
Food, as the previous post.. Laksa is a must try food... and Kolok mee, these are the local food which u can;t find in west m'sia. tongue.gif
Welcome to Kuching.... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by magnum: May 17 2008, 12:10 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
b00n
post May 17 2008, 01:44 PM

delusional
Group Icon
Group: Staff

so now it had been rebranded as Damai Puri?
During my time, it's still known as Damai Lagoon....how many years was this name used?

Anyway, a word of advise. You can't possibly expect the beauty of the beach to be like Redang, Perhentian sort....
Pangkor and Cherating also slightly better.
But obviously here is better than PD by a miles league lar.....
+Quote Post
magnum
post May 17 2008, 02:17 PM

On my way

yes. before this year, it;s Damai Lagoon, just changed to Damai Puri.
+Quote Post
TEDDYpet
post May 17 2008, 02:19 PM

but all the beaches is near to nice rainforest. can go jungle trekking and got nice cultural village too.
+Quote Post
designer69
post May 20 2008, 11:41 AM

Getting Started

Thanks! useful info..
so... can i know if i stay in Damai Puri hotel. how long does it take to go to the town area or waterfront area?

My dad cant really travel too long, so trying to avoid it so that he wun feel too tired.
+Quote Post
janetllc
post May 20 2008, 12:56 PM

QUOTE(designer69 @ May 20 2008, 11:41 AM)
Thanks! useful info..
so... can i know if i stay in Damai Puri hotel. how long does it take to go to the town area or waterfront area?

My dad cant really travel too long, so trying to avoid it so that he wun feel too tired.
Its will take 45 minutes or one hour(depend on traffic) From Damai, u can have seafood at Buntal Seafood(abt 15km, 5 minutes drive), enjoy the seaside while taking meal.
+Quote Post
tishaban
post May 20 2008, 03:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(janetllc @ May 20 2008, 12:56 PM)
Its will take 45 minutes or one hour(depend on traffic) From Damai, u can have seafood at Buntal Seafood(abt 15km, 5 minutes drive), enjoy the seaside while taking meal.
Most of the travel is via a standard trunk road with minimal traffic. However I do agree that the beach resorts in Kuching are pretty far away from Kuching town itself. I was at Damai Puri before they rebuilt/renamed it, it's a nice resort and due to the distance, very quiet. I was there several times however, once was during a pretty bad haze week which obscured the view and spoilt my vacation.

+Quote Post
b00n
post May 20 2008, 07:19 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(janetllc @ May 20 2008, 12:56 PM)

Is Coconut Garden still open? The one which has a little mini zoo (few cages of exotic animals) out there. The food is quite nice and reasonable priced there though I can't confirm it's halal or not. We always eat there when we are around.

+Quote Post
magnum
post May 21 2008, 11:43 AM

On my way

i assumed it's the Palm Garden Restaurant. yes, it's still open... just move to the one next to the maritime office....
+Quote Post
b00n
post May 21 2008, 11:56 AM

delusional
Group Icon

It's pronounced "Yeh Ling" or "Yeh Yuen" or there's actually 2? My memory is failing me now.
There's another one more nearer to the crossroad from Santubong towards Buntal..."Dolphin"...right?
Usually or rather during the old times, it's the restaurant that I mentioned with "mini zoo" that I visited. The taukeh nio very nice and friendly.
+Quote Post
Skylinestar
post May 22 2008, 05:27 PM

Mega Duck

QUOTE(designer69 @ May 17 2008, 09:35 AM)

Thank you!!
beach is 1 hour away from the city. and u have to take taxi. are u sure u wanna stay near the beach? it's ok if u just want to visit the beach and not the city.
+Quote Post
wctan83
post May 22 2008, 10:47 PM

Getting Started

Damai beach is another area of kuching, you can go there for 2 days 1 nite. For kuching, there is no beach for you, or maybe you can go to Bako national park for 2 days 1 nite. Kuching, basically is hotel nearby the waterfront wil do.
+Quote Post
razr_sped
post May 22 2008, 10:59 PM

Casual

QUOTE(TEDDYpet @ May 17 2008, 10:04 AM)
yes, all the beach area in kuching is far from airport you can try the santubong resort also near beach.

food is nice there kuching laksa, mee kolo, ais kacang,sotong rojak and many other delicious foods too
no to forget white lady...
i kinda miss it now...
+Quote Post
b00n
post May 23 2008, 09:23 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(razr_sped @ May 22 2008, 10:59 PM)
no to forget white lady...
i kinda miss it now...

haha....metahorn!!. who can courier it to KL?....I want Hui Sing one... brows.gif

+Quote Post
haya
post May 23 2008, 12:38 PM

Sarawakian first!

Kuching is inland, in the same way KL is quite far from the sea (or Klang, whichever floats your boat). The area around Damai Puri is called Santubong, not to be comfused with the resort of the same name.
+Quote Post
razr_sped
post May 23 2008, 03:30 PM

Casual

QUOTE(b00n @ May 23 2008, 09:23 AM)
haha....metahorn!!. who can courier it to KL?....I want Hui Sing one...  brows.gif
can courier kah...?...one more order here...haha
+Quote Post
vkeong
post May 23 2008, 04:37 PM

47 yr old unker

i stayed in damai beach.. got free shuttle bus to kuching daily.. but it's damn far.. 45 minutes
+Quote Post
*devilelle*
post May 27 2008, 09:59 AM

Im aint Me

QUOTE(magnum @ May 17 2008, 12:08 PM)
Hotels nearby beach are Damai Puri hotel, it's just renovated...and it look more like a resort now. Beside it, is Damai Beach Resort.... i'd attached the Damai Puri hotel's photos which i took during my visit last march...These hotels are ard 45min - 1 hr drive fr the kuching Interntional airport.
if you want to live in the town area, there are Harbour View Hotel, Crown Plaza Hotel and Holiday Inn Hotel.. these hotels are nearby the Kuching Water Front Area and the Golden Triangle area of Kuching.
Food, as the previous post.. Laksa is a must try food... and Kolok mee, these are the local food which u can;t find in west m'sia. tongue.gif
Welcome to Kuching.... tongue.gif
stayed here before... i love the beach....
actually kuching isnt near beach but then if you spend almost 1 hour drive to those place
the beach is beautiful thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
mzms
post Aug 23 2008, 11:08 AM

Getting Started

when are you travelling to Kuching? city hotels are plentiful. You will have choice of 5 star to 2 star to budget hotels. All are within walking distance to waterfront but the closest ones are Harbour View, Hilton, Holiday Inn (old, not recommended), Crowne Riverside Majestic and Merdeka Palace. Budget ones are plentiful, Grand Continental is near a nice steamboat restaurant called Hornbill. But you need to walk a bit to the waterfront. Others such as Kuching Park are a bit further away and may be tiring for parents to walk.

Damai Puri is now much more like a 5 star resort and spa, the price per room also increased. A friend was there for 5 days just this month and said it was almost empty (low season) so they pratically had the entire place to themselves which was great. Santubong peninsular has beautiful jungles, you can got trekking or climb Mount Santubong. The hotels there provide shuttle service to the city. Driving there is not difficult either if you choose to rent a car. If you rent a car, you can drive to Serikin, the weekend border market. Lots of cheap imitation stuff there.
+Quote Post
designer69
post Aug 25 2008, 04:16 PM

Getting Started

I'm getting excited bout the trip.
We got a chalet at the Permai Rainforest and also a room at Sommerset hotel in kuching town.

Any last miniute tips on where to
1) Eat
2) Visit
3) Do
4) Buy
+Quote Post
cassriena
post Aug 29 2008, 12:07 PM

Group: New Member

To EAt ...u can go to the nearby village across Sg Sarawak by sampan...RM1 per person ...REstoran BAROK ....
nice + damn cheap seafoods...we went there n had ikan siakap stim, udang masak butter, sayur midin, all below RM50 for two...

n believe me u'll crave for some more..

if u stay near Harbour View hotel, there's a place called MOLLY'S place..the laksa sarawak is vey nice....

This post has been edited by cassriena: Aug 29 2008, 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Aug 30 2008, 01:53 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(mzms @ Aug 23 2008, 11:08 AM)
when are you travelling to Kuching? city hotels are plentiful. You will have choice of 5 star to 2 star to budget hotels. All are within walking distance to waterfront but the closest ones are Harbour View, Hilton, Holiday Inn (old, not recommended), Crowne Riverside Majestic and Merdeka Palace. Budget ones are plentiful, Grand Continental is near a nice steamboat restaurant called Hornbill. But you need to walk a bit to the waterfront. Others such as Kuching Park are a bit further away and may be tiring for parents to walk.

Damai Puri is now much more like a 5 star resort and spa, the price per room also increased. A friend was there for 5 days just this month and said it was almost empty (low season) so they pratically had the entire place to themselves which was great. Santubong peninsular has beautiful jungles, you can got trekking or climb Mount Santubong. The hotels there provide shuttle service to the city. Driving there is not difficult either if you choose to rent a car. If you rent a car, you can drive to Serikin, the weekend border market. Lots of cheap imitation stuff there.

Did you left out the part on Santubong resort being haunted?.... wink.gif
Don't know whether they've exorcised the ghosts or not lar....but there's 1 block that is left empty because of that.
Not to mention once while playing a deck of card, 1 card went missing and we just can't find the card. *shivers*

QUOTE(designer69 @ Aug 25 2008, 04:16 PM)
We got a chalet at the Permai Rainforest and also a room at Sommerset hotel in kuching town.

1) Eat
2) Visit
3) Do
4) Buy

Permai is good for outdoor activities. If wanted to, you can always try and ascent Santubong Mountain. Either go all the way up to the peak or halfway to the waterfall.

In town, there's basically lots of place to eat. Remember to try out Laksa, Kueh Chap (if you're not Muslim), Fried Tomato Mee, Char Kueh, Kolo Mee, Kam Pua etc which are among the favourite food for S'wakian.
Walk behind Sommerset and you'll find "Top Spot Food Court" or else commonly known to old timers like me as "Permarta Car Park". It's actually a multi leveled car park and on the top floor, that's the seafood heaven.
Ask the receptionist in the hotel and I guess they direct you guys around.

Have a good trip!....
making me miss kch a lot....... *sigh*

+Quote Post
mzms
post Aug 30 2008, 10:25 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(designer69 @ Aug 25 2008, 04:16 PM)

1) Eat
2) Visit
3) Do
4) Buy
I hope you didn't book the wooden chalets with AC, those are very OLD with uneven wood flooring. You will regret it. They were in the process of replacing them when we were last there a year or more ago. The new cabins have no AC but are comfortable (ceiling fan, not hot actually because of the big trees here). The tree houses have AC but only one double bed.

Eat - go to Hornbill steamboat very near somerset (about 10 minutes walk). Very nice marinated meats and other food available here for you to cook yourself.
Visit - visit the waterfront shops, museums, (the Sarawak Museum is a must visit), Bako National Park, Kubah National Park, Matang Wildlife Center, Semenggoh Orang Utan Rehabilitation Center, Jong's Crocodile Farm, Annah Rais Longhouse, and various other places.
Do - shop for authentic Sarawak souvenirs, take a sampan ride across the Sarawak river to the other side or even a boat cruise.
Buy - me lunch.

Added on August 30, 2008, 10:27 am
QUOTE(b00n @ Aug 30 2008, 01:53 AM)
Did you left out the part on Santubong resort being haunted?.... wink.gif
Don't know whether they've exorcised the ghosts or not lar....but there's 1 block that is left empty because of that.
Not to mention once while playing a deck of card, 1 card went missing and we just can't find the card. *shivers*

Have a good trip!....
making me miss kch a lot....... *sigh*
is haunted meh? wah must go stay there, maybe can see hantu. wink.gif never stayed there b4 cos location not good far from beach.

This post has been edited by mzms: Aug 30 2008, 10:27 AM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Aug 30 2008, 12:27 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(mzms @ Aug 30 2008, 10:25 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Added on August 30, 2008, 10:27 am
is haunted meh? wah must go stay there, maybe can see hantu. wink.gif never stayed there b4 cos location not good far from beach.

That was ages ago lar.....around 8-10 years back lar...
1-2 years after they officially open already got incidents. Than the last time I stayed there is in year '99 or 2000. That's when 1 of the card went on it's disappearing act.
Imagine all 4 of us sitting in playing card stance on the floor. 1 guy standing/squatting while watching us play.
First few hands is normal. Than suddenly one hand when hand out all cards, found that 1 card is missing. So we reshuffle and re distribute (thinking sticky card), also the same problem. Than we counted and found only 51 cards. Look high and low and just can't find the card. Than silently we just left the room to the pool. However some of my friends did continue staying overnight in the same room while I went back as mine is only a day trip visiting them.
There's actually 1 block that is close down as it's rumoured that the ghost there is not that peaceful. So don't know whether or not they have exorcised it or not.

In Damai Beach which is the oldest beach resort in the area, one of my friend did captured a few pics with orang asli ghost posing with him. It was during primary sch times. Lost contacts of that friend, if not can still ask him for the pics to be posted up.

In Santubong beach itself there's a government rest house. There's also one room that is haunted. My father have some encounter with that during his 20s-30s. It is rumoured that whoever slept in that room would always found themselves waking up outside.

I myself encountered a bizarre incident while going up Santubong mountain. During my teenage years , we're just a bunch of hyped up teens and usually would race each others up. So during one incident, I'm the first to reach the path towards the waterfall. Before I reached there basically I met some foreigners coming down and chatted a lit bit and being told that they're the only ones down. So when I reached the cross road towards the waterfall, I heard someone or something laughing hysterically just up ahead of me. I never thought of anything than as I was expecting maybe another group descending.
So as usual my groups is maybe 20-30 minuets behind me and since I'm all alone, took out mess tin and make some fire to cook maggi while waiting. As i'm eating, my mind becomes uneasy. Thinking why there's still no one coming down. There's no other paths except this cross road. Eat an eat and I'm impressed that I managed to finish my maggi before I started running down towards my group. Than start ascending back together again. Never told them the incident as it's "pantang". Try to calm myself that it might be just hornbills. But if one ever heard that "laughter" and hornbill cries, I can tell you it's no hornbills!

There's one incident also during monsoon season when we camped up one night at the peak. During the ascend it's already quite foggy. In the fog itself we sometimes saw images of fishes and animals. The type in ghost story where you see images in smoke or fog. At night, we basically covered the whole wooden rest stop with canvas and flysheets to block the wind and rain. For those whose being to the top would know that the "rest structure" is only made of wood and with roof and poles but without walls. So need to cover it up to prepare for the rain.
As usual, at night it's ghost story. Whenever we started a ghost story, the wind would start to get wilder and rains would start to fall more heavily so we'll all raise to cover the cracks and all. After that, we would continue where it got interrupted. On and off we did it for 4 times until we felt something is not right because the wind and rain would died down and only starts when we start our ghost story. Spooky.......like I said, after the 4th times, we all just fell silence without any cue. Everyone just in their mind knew something is not right. Just stop and went to sleep. Luckily nothing unfortunate happened to us lar. Oh yeah, got 1 friend got fever the next day after we came home. Don't know because of "unclean things" or just because of the weather we endured.

ooopppsss....becomes ghost story thread already.....hahaha

Anyway, to truly enjoy kuching and it's wildlife; would surely need at least 5 days to 1 week. Forget about shopping spree except for the souvenirs. In kch, it's either eat or enjoy the culture. Like eveyone mentioned, take a walk at the waterfront and take a sampan ride across the river. No need to take boat cruise, waste of money. Go hunt for food. Go outskirt, lots of adventurous activities to indulge in. Caves, got Fairy and Wind caves. Can go kayaking, can go to the rivers, waterfalls....etc.

Can contact my friend who opens Lodge121 which is a B&B outfit in kuching. Look for Henry and with the right price, he might be able to help you guys arrange for kayaking and even diving trips.

This post has been edited by b00n: Aug 30 2008, 12:30 PM
+Quote Post
MobyDick
post Sep 2 2008, 10:27 AM

On my way

If go Kuching like the last time I went there, my local friend recommend me to stay book thru 'Holiday Villa' package whereby 1st night spend in Kuching town hotel which is walking distance to all attraction & shopping, 2nd & 3rd night in Damai beach area resort for relax & some jungle treking, no need to make those long trips back to town.
+Quote Post
rain_skywalker
post Jan 30 2009, 08:00 PM

Getting Started

aloha..
would like to ask u guy..
which budget hotel r best in kuching?
i want to go there in this end of february..
rclxm9.gif icon_idea.gif icon_rolleyes.gif brows.gif
+Quote Post
juichuan
post Jan 30 2009, 08:07 PM

LA-Little Angel
Group Icon
Retired Girls Club moderator
Group: VIP

have you googled it? study some maps .. there is also a hotel search thread being pinned up already... would you mind discussing it there?
+Quote Post
rain_skywalker
post Jan 30 2009, 08:16 PM

Getting Started

not finding any lar dude..
that y i ask here..
+Quote Post
zacevox
post Jan 30 2009, 08:50 PM

voice of expression

how much is your budget first?
+Quote Post
rain_skywalker
post Jan 31 2009, 02:14 AM

Getting Started

i want stay 2 or 3 night..
budget dlm 200-250 lar..
myb tpi pantai nyer hotel..
+Quote Post
stimix
post Jan 31 2009, 09:01 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living
Group: Moderator

TS, I hv merged your thread wth the previous similar thread discussing the same "Tepi Pantai" punya hotels.

Do read past discussion to hv a good idea of this tepi pantai hotels as Kuching is not located near tepi pantai but about 45min away from the tepi pantai. BTW, those tepi pantai hotels might not meet your budget of RM200-RM250 for 3 nites. Avg tepi pantai resort such as Holiday Inn Damai & also santubong resort probably >RM200/nite

For Kucing City, there are numerous budget hotels available probably meet your budget. Those can be found in th epinned topic or u google & search for Kuching hotel.

I stayed in Crystal Crown Plaza Kuching b4. very spacious room indeed. & about 1km away from the main bazaar road that sell all sort of souvenirs..I'm not sure the rate probably ~RM200/nite hmm.gif (Using my vacation club entitlement)

This post has been edited by stimix: Jan 31 2009, 09:25 AM
+Quote Post
rain_skywalker
post Jan 31 2009, 01:56 PM

Getting Started

whats the name of the hotel that u say cost around 200-300 3 night??
+Quote Post
stimix
post Jan 31 2009, 04:41 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

Geez doh.gif biggrin.gif Jichuan oledi highlight to you to goto the pinned Hotel Search here:

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/258550

Thereafter it is up to u to chhose whichever hotels up to your budget in the online hotel booking...In malaysia, cuti.co.my as highhlighted above & the list as below is not bad & reasonable:

http://www.cuti.com.my/hotel.htm?doit=show...ak&city=Kuching

Otherwise u can check other online booking sites listed on the 1st line for price comparison. pls believe in the power og Google..dun say u can't find anuthing or check when so many ppl can do it! Even there is existing Kuching thread here b4 u post & u did not even use the LYN 's search function biggrin.gif

QUOTE(rain_skywalker @ Jan 31 2009, 01:56 PM)
whats the name of the hotel that u say cost around 200-300 3 night??
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Jan 31 2009, 08:05 PM

Casual

For those budget traveller, there are a few hostel and budget inn nearby waterfront area. Do checkout Kuching Waterfront Lodge or Singgahsana Lodge. I myself never stay there b4 but I heard very good review about them. Clean, cheap and convenient.
Kuching is not like KL where u can easily get public transport. So I would recommend those who like to visit Kuching to stay in town central area. Easier for you to go somewhr else and most importantly to find good food.
+Quote Post
rain_skywalker
post Jan 31 2009, 09:13 PM

Getting Started

one good advice!
thanx man!!!

Added on January 31, 2009, 9:14 pmi find something in google but the pricy one!
want cheap..

This post has been edited by rain_skywalker: Jan 31 2009, 09:14 PM
+Quote Post
haidz
post Feb 12 2009, 08:31 AM

QUOTE(rain_skywalker @ Jan 30 2009, 08:00 PM)
aloha..
would like to ask u guy..
which budget hotel r best in kuching?
i want to go there in this end of february..
rclxm9.gif  icon_idea.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif  brows.gif
I suggest Harbour View Hotel, is a business class hotel with affordable deal. Always full, have to book early. Is somewhere near water front kuching.
+Quote Post
tape23
post Feb 12 2009, 11:59 AM

Casual

guys...im planning to go next week on the 20th...to the Damai beach resort hotel.....is it good? i wanna have the beach experience and at the same time excessable to town aswell? any suggestions?
+Quote Post
stimix
post Feb 12 2009, 12:13 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

Your queries has been posted just few post b4 this. Do read above comment 1st....

Anyway..Kuching & the beach area is far apart...
+Quote Post
tape23
post Feb 12 2009, 02:07 PM

Casual

ive read the posts before....need like more info coz im travellin alone to take pics n stuff....any suggestions which is good...i want to take the jungle aswell so thats why i booked the damai beach... anyone in kuching?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Feb 12 2009, 04:15 PM

delusional
Group Icon

little advertising since someone is asking on lodgings -
B&B in Kuching:
Lodge 121 (operated by friends of mine) http://www.lodge121.com/
+Quote Post
Hico
post Feb 12 2009, 09:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!

how far from kch to sirikian?? i also heard a lot of ppl saying the things there is very cheap..but duno how to drive there
+Quote Post
b00n
post Feb 13 2009, 06:30 PM

delusional
Group Icon

It is serikin and quite a long drive unlike the highway drives in West M'sia. Maybe can think of the old trunk roads in West M'sia.
here's a guide:
http://www.catscity.com.my/modules/smartse...em.php?itemid=4
http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g29830...ng_Sarawak.html

That's what I got from google: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...G=Google+Search
+Quote Post
DannGun
post Feb 15 2009, 07:08 PM

On my way

QUOTE(tape23 @ Feb 12 2009, 11:59 AM)
guys...im planning to go next week on the 20th...to the Damai beach resort hotel.....is it good? i wanna have the beach experience and at the same time excessable to town aswell? any suggestions?
QUOTE(Hico @ Feb 12 2009, 09:38 PM)
how far from kch to sirikian?? i also heard a lot of ppl saying the things there is very cheap..but duno how to drive there
Damai Beach Resort and Damai Puri are different. They are managed by different operators. It's good and nice, but it seems to be a normal beach to me. Water is not blue as what i want. U can use shuttle van provided by Holiday Inn hotel and it cost about Rm30(if im not mistaken)... 2days 1night stay at the resort will be enough. Nothing much to do there... And don't forget to take your dinner or lunch at Buntal. There are many seafood operator there but i like one named Teo Restaurant.
Trip from Kuching to Damai take 30-45mins. In Kuching city area, you can stay at Harbour View, Holiday Inn, Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Merdeka Palace and many more. These hotels are located in the city centre so you can walk to all those shopping centres nearby. If you want to go somewhere else, you can always use taxi or van sapu. U can wait for van sapu at bus stop, and each ride cost around Rm2.

From Kuching to Serikin, it takes about less than an hour. Yea, things are cheap there. But u have to bargain with those Indons.
+Quote Post
warversa
post Feb 26 2009, 09:22 AM

Am going on a trip to kuching, march(school holyday) 3d2n already booked tune hotel, not sure good or not.(first timer).

question? which is better tebedu (border to indon) or serikin.

am planning to go on weekdays (which ones is more worth it).

Is the layered cake industry still around.

Any cheap car rental (suggestion are welcome) , looking for cheapest rates.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Feb 26 2009, 06:28 PM

delusional
Group Icon

So Tune Hotel is opened in Kuching...
Anyway, location is fine. Walking distance to Kuching Waterfront.

About cars, unless you're adventurous; I wouldn't recommend renting one. Kuching's road might be confusing to some. It's not small. But than again, without car, it's hard to get around as most places are not in the town itself.
+Quote Post
mini_me
post Feb 26 2009, 06:29 PM

Getting Started

hey warversa,

Im not a local, but been here quite long....

Tune hotel: the location is not too bad... in middle of the city....
tebedu vs serikin... this i cant answer, nv been there.. tongue.gif
layered cake... still around, u can find it anywhere
car rental: i dont know any cheap car rental, but if u r staying in tune, i don't think they provide free parking... parking outside the hotel is coupon based, and could be quite costly...

just my two cents smile.gif
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Feb 26 2009, 09:23 PM

Casual

Serikin market only open on weekend. The journey took about 2 hrs from Kuching to Bau then to Serikin small border town. Lots of Indon selling their handicraft there.
While Tebedu will take 3 hours drive from Kuching. Not very sure the market there coz the last time I go is 10 yrs ago tongue.gif
+Quote Post
warversa
post Feb 27 2009, 09:52 AM

QUOTE(cybersim2 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:23 PM)
Serikin market only open on weekend. The journey took about 2 hrs from Kuching to Bau then to Serikin small border town. Lots of Indon selling their handicraft there.
While Tebedu will take 3 hours drive from Kuching. Not very sure the market there coz the last time I go is 10 yrs ago tongue.gif
Thanks for the info, yeow shocking.gif have to pay for parking a car at tune woh...
doh.gif
+Quote Post
DannGun
post Mar 14 2009, 05:13 PM

On my way

QUOTE(cybersim2 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:23 PM)
not that far la... serikin takes the most only 1 hr and Tebedu 1.5hrs can reach alrdy!
+Quote Post
warversa
post Mar 23 2009, 03:12 PM

just back from kuching, nice experience and plenty of memory.wife having a blast in serikin buying those indonesian batik and prayer robe. also asking when can go again... lol..

cultural village not bad, but abit pricey. 4Gb of Memory card full ...

+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 23 2009, 04:19 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(warversa @ Mar 23 2009, 03:12 PM)
just back from kuching, nice experience and plenty of memory.wife having a blast in serikin buying those indonesian batik and prayer robe. also asking when can go again... lol..

cultural village not bad, but abit pricey. 4Gb  of Memory card full ...

How did you went? Rent a car?

+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Mar 24 2009, 09:45 PM

Casual

Serikin open on Sat & Sun. Tar road all the way from Kuching.
Can stop by Bau town for lunch or visit Tasik Biru tongue.gif
+Quote Post
warversa
post Mar 26 2009, 11:23 AM

QUOTE(b00n @ Mar 23 2009, 04:19 PM)
How did you went? Rent a car?
Yup .. rent a car from flexycar rental pick up/drop off at the airport (on your far left going into the terminal) rates is almost the same for all agency .. unless u r renting at town area in which have to pay transport from airport to town..

parking is relatively cheap in kuching .. and i am renting it so i can go around not park it .. so no prob at all.. buy 3 piece first 30min parking (20 cent per piece) should be sufficient for 2-3 day.. stab the tab before you left the car and each hour over park the attendent will provide stub under your wiper and you can pay the extra charge at park booth scattered around town... but until 5pm only... parking from 8.00am-5.00pm only i think...

One time have to pay toll also he he... new bridge .. what lah....rm 1.50 ... going to kg gersik to buy layered cakes..and seafood at bamboo bistro next to roundabout in kg melayu/boyan....lol..

went to bako Nat. park forest(park office) ... want to take the cruise but wife afraid cause rumours of an indonesian lost his head to a crock recently... anyway she is not to keen on boating....

.... well may be next time...

+Quote Post
terencetoo
post May 11 2009, 07:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!

hie guys been reading 3 pages back...
have so idea for which is the hotel that near Damai Beach.

As i know that Damai Puri Resort & Spa for normal Deluxe Mountain View cost rm340 per night...and im plan to go there on August...should that be low period? (gosh is exp)

Whereas for Deluxe Queen Room at Santubong Resort price range from rm145 -165...but the location is quite far away from the beach...

I am planning 3D2N at the beach Free n Easy style ...so besides Damai Puri any other options that are near the beach and slightly cheap accomodation?

Budget per room +- rm150~200

Thanks

P/s u guys freak me out of the haunted places....so im think i'll skip Santubong Resort sweat.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post May 15 2009, 02:51 AM

delusional
Group Icon

Google for Damai Beach Resort which is next to Damai Puri.

Got more choices on what type of room you want and the beach is longer than Damai Puri. It's also one of the pioneer hotel in that area.

If you ask me, don't go for Santubong Resort at all. Not worth it.

If you're more of the adventurous type; can try Permai Rainforest (google it up). They have tree top chalet wink.gif

Have a good trip.
+Quote Post
toilet_tension
post May 24 2009, 02:40 AM

Hi, everyone. I will be going to Kuching next week. I just wanna ask for some pointers on places I should go to and what I should spend my money on. What's the place that I must go and visit and what cuisine should I try? Need as much input as possible, especially from those who are from Kuching. THANKS!!
+Quote Post
david_kiat
post Jul 21 2009, 12:29 PM

Getting Started

Damai Beach and Damai Puri, which one is better ?

+Quote Post
cyndelle
post Sep 29 2009, 11:52 PM

hi guys...

I will be going to kuching this saturday.. (OMG, last minute planning)..

anyway, here is my itinerary:-

Day 1
Arrival @ Kuching airport - 11.30am
Kuching city

Day 2
Sarawak Cultural village
Semmenggoh Wild life (Orang Utan)

Day 3
Jong's crocodile farm
departure back to KL - 5.25pm

Question
do you think purchase the package from the agency will be cheaper? Or we can hire the taxi driver to bring us there? Or is there any cheaper alternative. Please dont ask me to drive as i will be going with my parents and my nephew. So, i will be dead tired drive alone as everyone else doesnt know how to drive.

If we purchase the package, any idea how much?

Really need your help!!!

Thanks
+Quote Post
Mochi_In_Forest
post Sep 30 2009, 12:30 AM

Kuching : Nice place to go, for a break. Plenty of attractions, mostly have already been mentioned upon browsing thru this thread.

But then, sorry to say, there're some "double-standards" being practised over there, between Sarawakians and Non-Sarawakians.

Examples:
1) Sarawak Cultural Village : Non-Sarawakian would have to pay RM60 per head, per entry, but Sarawakian would just have to pay RM15 (correct me if I'm wrong! Coz that's the rate being mentioned when my family went there last time) per head, per entry.

2) Sarawak River Cruise @ Kuching Waterfront : Non-Sarawakian would have to pay RM60-80 (can't remember the exact figure) per head per trip, while Sarawakian would be charged much cheaper by double digits.

3) Jong's Crocodile Farm : Non-Sarawakian would have to pay RM16 per head per entry, while Sarawakian would just have to pay around RM10.

And I just can't understand why should there be such a practice nowadays, in the modern days. You're expecting outsiders to visit your state, to boost your tourism, but you're imposing such "unique" rates at your places of interests, as a method to "lure" tourists to your place. IF this sort of practice is being implemented at any other states outside Sarawak, I wonder what would happen to Malaysia.

Long Live 1MALAYSIA!! smile.gif
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Sep 30 2009, 04:30 PM

Casual

Are you sure got double standard in the ticketing Mochi_In_Forest?
If yes, I think most ppl will buy Swakian ticket bcoz they dont even bother to check ur IC/Passport unless u r "angmo" soli lo.
+Quote Post
Mochi_In_Forest
post Sep 30 2009, 11:00 PM

QUOTE(cybersim2 @ Sep 30 2009, 04:30 PM)
Are you sure got double standard in the ticketing Mochi_In_Forest?
If yes, I think most ppl will buy Swakian ticket bcoz they dont even bother to check ur IC/Passport unless u r "angmo" soli lo.
Yes, pretty sure.. That's the fact. I am talking based on my own + my family's experiences =)

U cant buy Swakian ticket UNLESS ur IC shows that u r a Swakian. They do ask 4 ur IC nway.
+Quote Post
yeeenn
post Oct 10 2009, 08:37 AM

i want to go to sarawak end of this month..
pls suggest to me what is the best place to shop and to visit....

and what is the cheap hotel at kuching. just to sleep and take bath...hehhehee

best place to buy sourvenier and handcraft...

+Quote Post
vkeong
post Oct 10 2009, 10:05 AM

47 yr old unker

I highly recommend Singgahsana Lodge. Nice cozy place, near to the river and reasonable priced.. RM88 for a twin sharing with shared toilet
+Quote Post
guangyeow
post Oct 15 2009, 10:05 PM

Getting Started

guys im going to kuching tomorrow any good clubs to introduce? if possible more gals than guys la ^^
+Quote Post
honkit
post Nov 14 2009, 10:21 AM

Airbus-er.

how is the weather there currently? raining? heading there end of this month
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Nov 14 2009, 10:40 PM

Casual

Raining tis few days.. Weather abit cloudy and cool
+Quote Post
kb24
post Jan 28 2010, 10:22 PM

Getting Started

Hi, i would like to anyone been to San Francisco Grill located at in front cinema there? its around beside Lok Lok there..

Is the food there expensive? May i know the price quote for some od the menu?

+Quote Post
mato89
post Feb 1 2010, 12:40 AM

Casual

Which cinema? In Spring? At Medan Pelita? At Parkson? If you would like to dine for some western food, i would recommend "Aroma Cafe" not far from Star Cineplex in Medan Pelita, walking distance from SMK Kuching High.
+Quote Post
moody5
post Feb 5 2010, 05:50 PM

Getting Started

Hey all need some advices/suggestion over here for the 1st timer to Kuching

My family and I am going to Kuching for short trips, 3 days 2 nights on next month then I have booked to stay at Tune Hotel.

My plan is:
Day 1 arrive Kuching around 2p.m then check in
Day 2 Semenggoh Wildlife Centre (to see orang utan) + Sarawak Cultural Village
Day 3 leaving to airport at 12 in the noon

erm... is there any more activities that i can fill in besides walking around in the city?

we got 5 people and i don't think one taxi can fit in 5 ppl, so any bigger size taxi there?

or any tour agents that offer 3 days 2 nights ground package? or maybe for the full day trip to Semenggoh Wildlife Centre + Culture village?

thanks ya!
+Quote Post
stimix
post Feb 5 2010, 11:20 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
Travel & Living

You can get the cultural Village package by asking the hotel staff..sure few of them doing abit of part time..& yes The cultural Village is one of the highlight of my tour..Worth the high price I paid. Too bad i missed bako National park!

The Kuching waterfront pre war shops cum souvenirs rows is a must..lotsa unique sounebirs from Sarawak there such as Pua kumbu (hope I got it right), blowpipes, wood carving & the tikar sarawak..

Near the market area is the indian muslim street wth lotsa fashionwares & the wet market also interesting place to visit..some funny stuff there such as Sago worms..very big wor...

Sarawal Museum probably the best malaysian museum so far...lotsa artifact inc the skeleton of whales too..
+Quote Post
vkeong
post Feb 6 2010, 12:07 AM

47 yr old unker

QUOTE(Mochi_In_Forest @ Sep 30 2009, 12:30 AM)
Kuching : Nice place to go, for a break. Plenty of attractions, mostly have already been mentioned upon browsing thru this thread.

But then, sorry to say, there're some "double-standards" being practised over there, between Sarawakians and Non-Sarawakians.

Examples:
1) Sarawak Cultural Village : Non-Sarawakian would have to pay RM60 per head, per entry, but Sarawakian would just have to pay RM15 (correct me if I'm wrong! Coz that's the rate being mentioned when my family went there last time) per head, per entry.

2) Sarawak River Cruise @ Kuching Waterfront : Non-Sarawakian would have to pay RM60-80 (can't remember the exact figure) per head per trip, while Sarawakian would be charged much cheaper by double digits.

3) Jong's Crocodile Farm : Non-Sarawakian would have to pay RM16 per head per entry, while Sarawakian would just have to pay around RM10.

And I just can't understand why should there be such a practice nowadays, in the modern days. You're expecting outsiders to visit your state, to boost your tourism, but you're imposing such "unique" rates at your places of interests, as a method to "lure" tourists to your place. IF this sort of practice is being implemented at any other states outside Sarawak, I wonder what would happen to Malaysia.

Long Live 1MALAYSIA!!  smile.gif
how do they verify if you're Sarawakian?
+Quote Post
soundsyst64
post Feb 6 2010, 02:34 AM

I'm No-Longer-Noobs

QUOTE(vkeong @ Feb 6 2010, 12:07 AM)
they can verify you based on your oral language and possibly your identity card. smile.gif
+Quote Post
LivingDeadGuy
post Mar 1 2010, 09:22 AM

hye guys!!

last august i traveled to Kuching, Sarawak and i stayed at this really cozy b&b called Lodge 121 rclxms.gif (almost forgot that name) its an inexpensive yet suitable for backpackers/travelers . i planned to stay in kuching only for 3 days 2 nights at the first place. But due to the friendly-ness of Sarawakian, i stay there for a week rclxm9.gif 1 of my fun and relaxing trip. thanks to the lodge 121's staffs.

i'll have my another trip to kuching again.probably on june icon_idea.gif

i really missed kuching tho.eventho i am a semenajung-ian.hehe

a really big thanks to the sarawakian as well.as they have being friendly and tought me a lot of things.

Anyone travel to kuching? mind sharing your experince? b&b/hotel? budget?

my trip doesnt cost me a more than rm500. as i get cheap flight ticket + a good b&b + good foods + good people = relaxing

lucky me smile.gif
+Quote Post
LivingDeadGuy
post Mar 1 2010, 10:16 AM

QUOTE(guangyeow @ Oct 15 2009, 10:05 PM)
guys im going to kuching tomorrow any good clubs to introduce? if possible more gals than guys la ^^
a club called the office..or u can go to travelion.plenty of clubs there

Added on March 1, 2010, 10:20 amplanning to backpackers to kuching sarawak on this coming june..in the mean time i can save up some $$$$

i quite familiar with kuching roads and places..since i've been there couple of times..

i'll stay at lodge 121..rm30 per night(dorm rate) but if room for two would be rm50/60

anyone interested??come join me..

This post has been edited by LivingDeadGuy: Mar 1 2010, 10:20 AM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 2 2010, 07:47 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(stimix @ Feb 5 2010, 11:20 PM)
You can get the cultural Village package by asking the hotel staff..sure few of them doing abit of part time..& yes The cultural Village is one of the highlight of my tour..Worth the high price I paid. Too bad i missed bako National park!

The Kuching waterfront pre war shops cum souvenirs rows is a must..lotsa unique sounebirs from Sarawak there such as Pua kumbu (hope I got it right), blowpipes, wood carving & the tikar sarawak..

Near the market area is the indian muslim street wth lotsa fashionwares & the wet market also interesting place to visit..some funny stuff there such as Sago worms..very big wor...

Sarawal Museum probably the best malaysian museum so far...lotsa artifact inc the skeleton of whales too..

Sarawak Museum is indeed the best museum in M'sia.
You can walk towards the monument park where they sell great ice kacang, rojak and belachan behoon.... ooooh how I missed the food in kch.

Bako, you need to spend a night there but need to be careful of the nuisance monkey who is not afraid of human and steals.

QUOTE(vkeong @ Feb 6 2010, 12:07 AM)

Your IC indicates different states. the middle 2 digit after your first 6 digit (b'day)

QUOTE(LivingDeadGuy @ Mar 1 2010, 10:16 AM)
a club called the office..or u can go to travelion.plenty of clubs there

Added on March 1, 2010, 10:20 amplanning to backpackers to kuching sarawak on this coming june..in the mean time i can save up some  $$$$

i quite familiar with kuching roads and places..since i've been there couple of times..

i'll stay at lodge 121..rm30 per night(dorm rate) but if room for two would be rm50/60

anyone interested??come join me..

Glad you like it. Opened by my friend. If the boss is free, you can ask him to bring you around. He's quite friendly.
I think he still organize adventure trips like kayaking, and trekking and he's into scuba diving. So if you are into scuba diving, you can join his trip if the time is right.

+Quote Post
LivingDeadGuy
post Mar 3 2010, 08:47 AM

QUOTE(b00n @ Mar 2 2010, 07:47 PM)

Glad you like it. Opened by my friend. If the boss is free, you can ask him to bring you around. He's quite friendly.
I think he still organize adventure trips like kayaking, and trekking and he's into scuba diving. So if you are into scuba diving, you can join his trip if the time is right.
cool..thanks man!
+Quote Post
moody5
post Mar 15 2010, 04:06 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(stimix @ Feb 5 2010, 11:20 PM)

biggrin.gif I have already put it in my list of visit!

Added on March 15, 2010, 5:05 pm'visit Semenggoh Orang Utan and Annah Rais in the morning then proceed to Sarawak Cultural Village in the afternoon since the feeding time for Orang Utan is at 9.00am and the afternoon session for the Cultural Show will be at 4pm.

The pick up time will be at 8.30am.Upon confirmation, do let us know which hotel will your group be staying so we could arrange the pick up accordingly'

The package for 1 pax will be RM280.00per peson (minimum 2 pax).This includes guide, transportation, main entrance fee, drinks and Lunch (Local Bidayuh Cuisine with the host at Annah Rais Bidayuh Longhouse-Chicken Cook In Bamboo").

Is the above package worth taking?

This post has been edited by moody5: Mar 15 2010, 05:05 PM
+Quote Post
sony_tact
post Mar 20 2010, 05:48 PM

hi guys..

im planning to attend rainforest world music festival in Sarawak this july..but im stuck on accomodation..any advice or accomodation's proposal?

thanks...
+Quote Post
yiivei
post Mar 20 2010, 08:39 PM

~WooLaLa~

QUOTE(moody5 @ Mar 15 2010, 04:06 PM)
biggrin.gif I have already put it in my list of visit!

Added on March 15, 2010, 5:05 pm'visit Semenggoh Orang Utan and Annah Rais in the morning then proceed to Sarawak Cultural Village in the afternoon since the feeding time for Orang Utan is at 9.00am and the afternoon session for the Cultural Show will be at 4pm.

The pick up time will be at 8.30am.Upon confirmation, do let us know which hotel will your group be staying so we could arrange the pick up accordingly'

The package for 1 pax will be RM280.00per peson (minimum 2 pax).This includes guide, transportation, main entrance fee, drinks and Lunch (Local Bidayuh Cuisine with the host at Annah Rais Bidayuh Longhouse-Chicken Cook In Bamboo").

Is the above package worth taking?
why dun u rent a car?
+Quote Post
apis
post Mar 20 2010, 09:01 PM

Regular

QUOTE(sony_tact @ Mar 20 2010, 05:48 PM)
hi guys..

im planning to attend rainforest world music festival in Sarawak this july..but im stuck on accomodation..any advice or accomodation's proposal?

thanks...
What'S Ur Budget??
There'S plenty of budget hotel around kuching..
+Quote Post
Nosense
post Mar 31 2010, 04:08 AM

hi guys..

thanks...
I have stayed in this hotel on my last visit to Kuching, you may want to take a look. Somerset Gateway Kuching.

I have booked it through www.agoda.com, you can read through the review of this hotel there.
+Quote Post
moody5
post Mar 31 2010, 04:34 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(yiivei @ Mar 20 2010, 08:39 PM)
why dun u rent a car?
haha i already went there.

We didn't rent car.

We took a package at Rm150 for the 2nd day to visit Sarawak cultural village + Semmonggoh Oran Utan

Added on March 31, 2010, 4:34 pm
hi guys..

thanks...
Tune Hotel

This post has been edited by moody5: Mar 31 2010, 04:34 PM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Mar 31 2010, 08:27 PM

delusional
Group Icon

It would be hard if you do not have a GPS. I meant if one wants to rent a car.
+Quote Post
Sha91
post Apr 26 2010, 09:52 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(soundsyst64 @ Feb 6 2010, 02:34 AM)
they can verify you based on your oral language and possibly your identity card. smile.gif
If I'm not mistaken,there's a "K" on your IC which means you're Sarawakian.Correct me if I'm wrong..check your IC people.Lets figure it out~
+Quote Post
iena_jr
post Apr 27 2010, 11:35 PM

Getting Started

i'm going to kuching this thursday..

is it hard to find for halal food?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 30 2010, 12:15 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sha91 @ Apr 26 2010, 09:52 PM)
If I'm not mistaken,there's a "K" on your IC which means you're Sarawakian.Correct me if I'm wrong..check your IC people.Lets figure it out~

No, there's no alphabet. By looking at the middle digit i.e. the 2 numbers after your birth date, one would know where your state. Jabatan Pendaftaran website to get the full list.

QUOTE(iena_jr @ Apr 27 2010, 11:35 PM)
i'm going to kuching this thursday..

is it hard to find for halal food?

No, there are malay food almost everywhere. But don't expect mamak.

+Quote Post
weirdguy
post May 28 2010, 10:37 AM

Casual

Hello,

I need advise on the transportation part.

There are 5 of us going to Kuching on this middle of June. We are staying at Tune Hotels. How can we travel to the Spring, the afforable way? How much is the fare by Taxi?

Added on May 29, 2010, 9:18 am
QUOTE(weirdguy @ May 28 2010, 10:37 AM)
Hello,

I need advise on the transportation part.

There are 5 of us going to Kuching on this middle of June. We are staying at Tune Hotels. How can we travel to the Spring, the afforable way? How much is the fare by Taxi?
Anyone cry.gif ?

This post has been edited by weirdguy: May 29 2010, 09:18 AM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 5 2010, 08:17 PM

delusional
Group Icon

No idea about Taxi. Sorry can't help.
+Quote Post
terencetoo
post Jun 6 2010, 08:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Hie guys,

Can i know where to get affordable and reliable furniture shop around Kuching?
No need to be Lorenzo and those high quality brands smile.gif
Im looking for 1 whole set of Bed + Mattress + Dressing Table + Computer Table
Hope i get head ups here

Thanks alot guys!
+Quote Post
Cliffrison
post Jun 6 2010, 08:59 PM

It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!

QUOTE(terencetoo @ Jun 6 2010, 08:49 PM)
Hie guys,

Can i know where to get affordable and reliable furniture shop around Kuching?
No need to be Lorenzo and those high quality brands smile.gif
Im looking for 1 whole set of Bed + Mattress + Dressing Table + Computer Table
Hope i get head ups here

Thanks alot guys!
try go courts
+Quote Post
terencetoo
post Jun 7 2010, 10:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!

I have bad experience with Courts bro....
deliver manufacturer defects to me twice and i ended up no choice got to accept it.
Any other shops u guys go for furniture?
+Quote Post
shymz
post Aug 8 2010, 02:08 PM

QUOTE(terencetoo @ Jun 7 2010, 10:37 AM)
I have bad experience with Courts bro....
deliver manufacturer defects to me twice and i ended up no choice got to accept it.
Any other shops u guys go for furniture?
try greatma at matang. have lot good furniture. just bought solid wood bed below 1k. quite affordable. but quality.....
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Aug 8 2010, 09:43 PM

try Chan's furniture. I also know people who can do custom made bed, sofa, table in Kuching. other than that, you can try singer.
+Quote Post
mbj78
post Aug 13 2010, 09:33 AM

Getting Started

I am looking for HOMESTAY or BUDGET HOTEL for me & my wife to stay in KUCHING for several days (more than 7 days) from 27th NOV 2010 - 4th DEC 2010
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Aug 13 2010, 11:31 AM

try Singgahsana lodge. you can look it up here.

http://www.singgahsana.com/main.html

for other options, check this website out. there are some helpful reviews and ratings by previous customers as well as some pictures.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budget-acco...en-ci-2095.html

hope that helps.

This post has been edited by Galatea: Aug 13 2010, 11:35 AM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Aug 13 2010, 12:21 PM

delusional
Group Icon

yes, singgahsana or lodge121 - http:\\www.lodge121.com
+Quote Post
Coraline
post Sep 16 2010, 11:10 PM

Is November a good time to visit Kuching? Is it rainy?
+Quote Post
noprob
post Sep 17 2010, 12:12 AM

Regular

Planning going there 6-9 Oct . Anyone can suggest a good rental car agency ? Just need a small car , kancil wud do ...
+Quote Post
la bella
post Sep 20 2010, 12:26 PM

On my way

Just back from 4 days 3 nights Kuching trip last week. Stayed in Singgahsana Lodge Kuching near waterfront. Me and my friend, both girls walked in this guest house without advance booking, lucky there's a only room available, the room has a queen bed, private bathroom and aircond, it's the so called honeymoon suite, 1 night costs us rm128. Singgahsana is full of mat salleh, me and my friend is the only asian there. This place is great, room is clean and the best thing is the roof top chilling area, very nice ambience, got pool table, bar. Feel like we're in a guai lou country. I asked the owner of Singgahsana, he told me they prefer guai lou tourists because they have bad experiences with asian tourists. Anyway, this is a nice place, not a cheap guest house but value for money, and the location is good. I'll be going back next time.

Added on September 20, 2010, 1:32 pmVisited sarawak museum, it's free entry. This museum is better than the one in KL, lots of rare things to see.

Walk around the waterfront, and we took sampan across the river, 1 ride cost 50sen only. We crossed the river in waterfront twice, 1st time we went to the Look-out Tower in front the dewan undangan building watching the sunset, the view is very nice from the top. 2nd time we across the river to Kampung Boyan to visit Fort Margarita castle. It took 15min walk uphill from the kampung to the castle. It opens from 9am-4.30pm only, free entry. It's a historical castle built by Charles Brooke.

We purchase two tours from travel agency next to the Singgahsana Lodge. Our tours are Semenggoh Orang Utan Center (rm35) and Sarawak Cultural Village (rm80). They arrange a shuttle van to pick us up from our hotel in the morning to semenggoh. Best time to go is during feeding time 9am. There's no cage for the orang utan. Haha. Be careful.

Sarawak cultural village is worth to go. The location near Damai beach. The entry ticket rm60, expensive but worth. You could visit traditional houses of Iban, Melanau, Bidayuh, orang ulu and others. There's stage performance twice a day.

We went to Matang Wildlife center as well (rm10 entry ticket), it's a zoo in a rainforest, we saw horbills, orang utan, crocodiles, deers, and many others animals. All animals are caged.

Kek Lapis is famous is Kuching, hardly can find it in kl. Must buy if you're in kuching. If you like seafood, there's a famous place for seafood near the waterfront called "TopSpot", it's a foodcourt at rooftop car park. We had our Kolo mee, laksa and kueh chap in kuching chinatown "Carpenter Street", the stalls are in front of a temple. Too bad the famous pork satay stall is closed during our visit.

That's the highlight of my kuching tour, didn't manage to visit Bako national park, next time I shall go to national parks and caves. I miss Sarawak!

This post has been edited by la bella: Sep 20 2010, 01:40 PM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Sep 24 2010, 12:51 AM

delusional
Group Icon

Nice review.
Actually Semenggoh Orang Utan Rehabilation Center is not to be mistaken as a zoo. It's a place where the Orang Utan is basically "left alone" to roam the jungle. Although a lot spotted was rehab and let loose, there's also many that are "wild" and hardly come near the center.

The feeding session is there to ensure that there's enough food provided for the whole population of orang utans residing in the forest there. Thus if one is lucky, then they would see quite a number of oranng utans coming out during the feeding time - mostly those mother with baby orang utans. Else if unlucky, one might not even have the chance to spot them.
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Sep 29 2010, 01:00 AM

QUOTE(noprob @ Sep 17 2010, 12:12 AM)
Planning going there 6-9 Oct . Anyone can suggest a good rental car agency ? Just need a small car , kancil wud do ...
actually at the airport, they do have a booth for car rentals. you can check it out.

some alternatives, you can check it out here

http://my.<no spam links>.com/Automotive/Cars-for-Ren...sing/ad-213688/

http://kuchingcarrental.com/rental-rate/

http://bestkuchinghotels.com/cheap-car-rental

hope that helps. smile.gif
+Quote Post
aichiban
post Oct 22 2010, 02:32 PM

pot yia thee keh tai lang!!

Im cumming over to Kuching, to work
what type of internet services are available there?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Oct 23 2010, 03:05 PM

delusional
Group Icon

What do you meant internet service?
Streamyx lor... else if you got broadband like Celcom, Digi or Maxis also can.
+Quote Post
joeflizo
post Oct 24 2010, 03:28 AM

Hi,

I will visit Kuching on 1 - 3 Nov 2010. The flight is already booked. Depart from LCCT subang at 1.50pm and maybe arrive at 3.30 pm. This is my 1st time on flight and sarawak. Little bit nervous as I travel alone.

Depart from kuching at 5.30 pm on 3 Nov. Do not have enough budget to stay longer. :-P

I need to plan my visit because I do not want to waste time thinking where to go right. Actually my friend from Unim*s will accompany me during my visit.

I booked Penview Hotel. Standard room for 2 single beds. Charge RM160 for 2 nights. Free breakfast for 2. I search for the exact pics on this type of room but never found any. Will be happy if someone can give reviews about this hotel and the standard room I choose. Especially about the facilities and cleanness.

I rent a car from Unim*s student. Got Viva auto at the rates of RM85 per day. Take and return at airport. Do you think it is reasonable enough? or still expensive??

Then I need to plan what to do. As I arrive not on the weekend, so I think there's no serikin visit right? I understand the pasar only open on weekend right? or I misunderstand?

1st day, arrived 3.30pm.

1) Take car, check in penview hotel (spend 15 minutes in hotel i guess)
2) Take my friend from Unim*s
3) ???

* anybody can help me how much time I'll spend for 1 and 2 (i mean how long to get arrive at penview from airport then hotel to unimas
* any traffic jam?

2nd day

1) Self drive to orang utan. I need to go early right because it will start on 9am. How long it will take from penview hotel to that place? How long generally people will be spent on this place?
2) Cultural village...is it far from orang utan?
3) ???

3rd day
1) Time to buy souvenir I guess. Kek lapis and craft

*I think top spot seafood attracts me a lot

Do not know when to visit brooke ford castle, sarawak museum, river cruise with sampan (budget...LOL!)

Hmmm...I'm to worry I guess as everything need to be planned. :-)
+Quote Post
b00n
post Oct 24 2010, 05:08 PM

delusional
Group Icon

I heard one can get a kancil or kelisa for RM65 or 70 but sorry I've no contact. If you are going to drive, better get a GPS because seems like you're going to travel towards the outskirt.

The hotel you stay is in the Kch City itself but Unimas is out in Samarahan district - say 45 minutes away. So how are you going to drive there without GPS or even towards Semmengoh (Orang Utan) or maybe say Cultural Village.

I still do not understand why it's you who rent a car and yet not your friend from Unimas?

Anyway to answer your queries, 1st day basically nothing much you can do as you arrived late. Reach hotel most probably 4pm. Travel to Unimas and back will take you 1-2hr as most probably you'll get into the office hour jam by the time you come back to the city. The only thing is to relax and eat and spend the night at Kuching Waterfront.

2nd day - Semmengoh Orang Utan rehab is another 30 mins drive from the city and yes the feeding time starts at 9am and the ranges would start shooing people off by 10am. Entry is RM3.
No S'wak Cultural Village is totally different direction. Semmngoh is towards the inland and S'wak Cultural Village is towards the coastal beach area. If your budget is tight I don't think you want to go S'wak cultural village as if I'm correct, it's RM60 for non-S'wakian and another 45 minutes drive from the city. So if you want to go, it's going to take you almost close to 2 hrs from Semmengoh.
Anyway, while driving towards Semmengoh, if you are adventurous; you can follow the signboard where the color is brownish. Those are directions to S'wak Tourism Board promoted attractions; so you might want to drop by depending on the distance which is listed on the road sign also. Can bring extra cloths and towels as a lots is forest reserve, waterfall or stream picnic area.

So forget about S'wak cultural village and come back to the city and take the sampan ride at the end of Riverside Waterfront. You can nego price with the boatmen to have him bring you along the river if you are into photography. Sunset photo is nice. Else a normal boat ride over to the other side if my memory doesn't fail me is RM0.50 or Rm1 (forgot already). Yes it will take you to Fort Mahgerita - the Police Museum.
So spent the afternoon around the waterfront area and visit the souvenior shops at the streets nearby. Be sure to ask people where "Open Air" is, where you can taste most of S'wak delicacies under one roof. You can ask the drinks store got what "speacial" drink and they'll introduce you a lot of "mocktail".

But if you decided to go to S'wak cultural village; then you can spend the whole afternoon there and wait till evening and visit the Buntal Kampung for photo shooting on Sunset and the fishing village and of course seafood dinner.

3rd day morning you can go visit S'wak Musuem and spent the morning there. Then go have lunch and prepare to go to the airport.

This post has been edited by b00n: Oct 24 2010, 05:15 PM
+Quote Post
moody5
post Oct 25 2010, 12:11 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(joeflizo @ Oct 24 2010, 03:28 AM)
Hi,

I will visit Kuching on 1 - 3 Nov 2010. The flight is already booked. Depart from LCCT subang at 1.50pm and maybe arrive at 3.30 pm. This is my 1st time on flight and sarawak. Little bit nervous as I travel alone.

Depart from kuching at 5.30 pm on 3 Nov. Do not have enough budget to stay longer. :-P

We were there for 3 days 2 nights as well.

These were what we did there:

Day 1
walked around hotel (we stayed at Tune Waterfront) then took a ride of sampan (Rm0.50) to opposite kampung to buy kek lapis drool.gif I bought from Mira Cake House, Rm10 each but it was very nice! Engaged tour to Sarawak Culture Village plus Semenggoh Center to see orang utan at the price of RM150 per pax.

Day 2
we went to Sarawak Culture village in the morning and went to semeggoh center to catch the orang utan feeding time (3p.m)

Day 3
we went to Sarawak Museum

We had our dinner for consecutive two days at Top Spot
+Quote Post
joeflizo
post Oct 25 2010, 05:27 PM

@ boon

such a great recommendations...I will edit this post later...

so no cultural village i think...what if I tell my friend (sarawakian) to buy the kampung budaya tickets and handle it to me?

I heard that sarawakian get cheaper rate right...about rm15 i think...did the check our ic before we enter the cultural village? or just one time which is when we buy the ticket....

can i do that? rm120 per 2 person is quite expensive for my bajet...rm50 will be consider i think...sigh!
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Oct 26 2010, 09:21 AM

Casual

QUOTE(joeflizo @ Oct 25 2010, 05:27 PM)
@ boon

such a great recommendations...I will edit this post later...

so no cultural village i think...what if I tell my friend (sarawakian) to buy the kampung budaya tickets and handle it to me?

I heard that sarawakian get cheaper rate right...about rm15 i think...did the check our ic before we enter the cultural village? or just one time which is when we buy the ticket....

can i do that? rm120 per 2 person is quite expensive for my bajet...rm50 will be consider i think...sigh!
I heard you have to show your IC in order to buy Swakian promo price ticket so your chance of gettin cheaper ticket is low. If you really wan to visit Cultural Village and Orang Utan at the same day, maybe u can go to Matang Wildfire Centre, pay RM10 entrance fee and u got to see a giant Orang Utan with a few type of other animal there. There are both located at the same direction but distance between them is bout 45min drive i think. Not far frm the Matang Wildlife Centre, there's the Telaga Air Waterfront, a small fishing village and oso the Matang Water Park where u can picnic, provided u have time for tat tongue.gif
+Quote Post
joeflizo
post Oct 26 2010, 12:42 PM

Wait...

I heard that student can get cheaper rates....about RM15 per person i think...

That's rate is for school student only or student card holder (university student)? We both has student card and I think we will get cheaper rate with that...

If we can get it, i think no need for me to go to semenggoh orang utan...i prefer matang wild life if it is near kampung budaya...

@ cybersim2

good suggestion..thanks...I'll look into that too...

This post has been edited by joeflizo: Oct 26 2010, 12:45 PM
+Quote Post
Kiki-Lala
post Oct 27 2010, 03:32 AM

Casual

I wonder does anyone stay in 360 hotel before in Kuching? Just checked online and it shown 2 nights for RM300+. Does anyone knows how does the Government Service Rant applies? Thanks.

+Quote Post
joeflizo
post Oct 29 2010, 11:54 AM

People said there's raining every evening in kuching since weeks ago...hmmm...that's not a good sign...

I rent gps + viva auto from unimas 2 days for rm200...so expensive i think...but have to do it as i do not know the routes...especially to the cultural village...

I already call the sarawak cultural village and asked about the rate for malaysian university student...

university card holder:

rm15 per person

Yeah! at last i got the cheaper price... thumbup.gif

Now the sarawak cultural village is settle...

I just wonder about the raining...

did anybody know where taman sahabat is?

This post has been edited by joeflizo: Oct 29 2010, 12:08 PM
+Quote Post
moody5
post Oct 29 2010, 01:56 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(joeflizo @ Oct 29 2010, 11:54 AM)

did anybody know where taman sahabat is?
Is this the one?
http://www.mbks.gov.my/pressdetails.asp?mode=172
+Quote Post
ronaldkwok
post Oct 29 2010, 11:20 PM

On my way

There are some photos of the Cultural Village and Kuching waterfront in my Kuching travel blog to get some idea what you can see there. The rest may not be of interest unless you are a Catholic.
+Quote Post
joeflizo
post Oct 30 2010, 10:38 AM

@ moody5

Yup! That is. My friend ask me to find route to taman sahabat as she prefer to be there. I have no idea about that thing but will see later.

@ ronaldkwok

i'm not a catholic but cery much thanks for that...I heard people said top spot is full with chinese...i'm worried about the halal status...and the price is expensive as well...not sure how expensive it is as it is difficult to survey online...

any good recommended seafood area in kuching for me?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Oct 30 2010, 12:05 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Most seafood restaurant in kuching is halal. Top Spot is halal.
Anyway, Taman Sahabat is in Jalan Song. In your GPS, if you can't find the route; search for Starbuck Jalan Song. Taman Sahabat is opposite.
+Quote Post
moody5
post Nov 1 2010, 08:21 AM

Getting Started

Jalan Song there also got a place like food court which also sell nice and cheap seafood (sry that i cant remember the name of the food court)
+Quote Post
joeflizo
post Nov 6 2010, 01:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks guys for helping me to make through my journey to Kuching. I'm so glad that nothing bad happen. Everything was fine and the visit was great!

I want to post some of the pics here but do not have time now. I'll post ,y review next time.

Thanks guys for helping me especially b00n!
+Quote Post
WaikZ
post Nov 7 2010, 08:12 PM

Just came back from a "food trip" to Kuching. Simply wonderful.

Here's some of what I think is a must-try for Kuching-bound food-lovers:

Pork Satay @ Lebuh Carpenter (Carpenter Street near waterfront)

There's a small shop opposite a chinese temple which sells the best pork satay in Kuching! Pork strips are well-marinated and barbequed until it's TENDER and JUICY (think taste of bak-kua(hokkien)). Only opens at 2pm to around 6pm.

Seafood @ D'village cafe, Jalan Rock (at 2 & 1/2 mile opposite Fortuneland)

Seafood is rather cheap in east Malaysia compared to Semenanjung, but I've heard from locals that Top Spot is blood-sucking more expensive than what they(locals) go for. So D'village cafe offers what I think is quality at a lower price. 4 large crabs, oh-jian, kerabu sotong, midin( a type of edible fern that's a local favourite), tau-foo and steamed red snapper fish at RM109 smile.gif Note: please ask for larger crabs or else they'll serve the smaller ones that's common(personal experience).

Home-made Kuey Chap @ Lorong Taman riverview Timur 1 (near jalan bintawa which is quite a distance from city center)

This shop is in a residential area which only opens at night, try to be there early (before 8.30pm) to avoid condiments becoming limited. The kuey chap here has a more intense flavour compared to others.
+Quote Post
la_Feng
post Dec 22 2010, 06:01 PM

Getting Started

plan to visit kuching, just 2 of us
6th Jan, reach noon and leave 9th 12pm
already booked flight, but now dunno where to stay.

see tune hotel quite good. rm215 for total of 3 nights.
but no internet, and read that those guest house also as good as this? should i try?

+Quote Post
Galatea
post Dec 25 2010, 02:46 PM

tune hotel is quite good I think based on its location. you also can try singgahsana lodge or any other guest house. u can check out these websites

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budget-acco...en-ci-2095.html
http://www.cheaperthanhotels.com/Malaysia/Kuching/
http://www.kuchinghomestay.com/
+Quote Post
la_Feng
post Jan 4 2011, 02:50 PM

Getting Started

i booked singgahsana, looking forward to the trip. its this thursday smile.gif

should i also booked the car from singgahasana to pick me up from airport?
or wht is the advice from airport to singgahsana?
also plan to take the package (culture village + semmenggoh) @ rm150 per pax.

place to visit as below:
1. museum
2. cultural village
3. semenggoh wildlife
4. river cruise (woter front)
5. bako national park
6. fort magarita
7. carpenter street

but dunno how to arrange them into 3 days, arrive thursday 12PM, and leaving sunday morning

+Quote Post
kimhoong
post Jan 5 2011, 03:39 AM

Walking corpse in the office
Group Icon
Football Lounge
Group: Elite

I'm going to Kuching too this weekend but no plan whatever so tongue.gif

Booked Lime Tree Hotel for the first day, but no plan for the 2nd night. Any suggestions? Continue staying in Lime Tree or try out others?
+Quote Post
la_Feng
post Jan 5 2011, 10:37 AM

Getting Started

haa... you just went there without knowing what to do? just for leisure? or work?
+Quote Post
kimhoong
post Jan 5 2011, 01:53 PM

Group Icon
Football Lounge

I'm going with my wife for leisure, since never been to Kuching.

My wife doesn't fancy cultural, animals or trekking stuffs. Guess we'll just settle for the food only.
+Quote Post
la_Feng
post Jan 5 2011, 02:42 PM

Getting Started

hmm... not much can do if not going for cultural, bako national park... i think seafood and some local store (china town) shopping?
or can visit Spring mall, largest in Kuching smile.gif
+Quote Post
Mikeshashimi
post Jan 5 2011, 02:45 PM

Escape|Artist

QUOTE(kimhoong @ Jan 5 2011, 01:53 PM)
I'm going with my wife for leisure, since never been to Kuching.

My wife doesn't fancy cultural, animals or trekking stuffs. Guess we'll just settle for the food only.
its quite incomplete if u go to kuching without going on environmental expeditions.

its almost like going to KL and not visit the shopping malls. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
la_Feng
post Jan 5 2011, 03:02 PM

Getting Started

Mikeshashimi, can comment a bit on my trip? gonna go tomorrow smile.gif

place to visit as below:
1. museum
2. cultural village
3. semenggoh wildlife
5. bako national park
6. fort magarita
7. carpenter street
8. Malaysia-China Friendship Garden, known as Taman Sahabat

but dunno how to arrange them into 3 days, arrive thursday 12PM, and leaving sunday morning
+Quote Post
moody5
post Jan 5 2011, 03:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(la_Feng @ Jan 5 2011, 03:02 PM)
Mikeshashimi, can comment a bit on my trip? gonna go tomorrow smile.gif

place to visit as below:
1. museum
2. cultural village
3. semenggoh wildlife
5. bako national park
6. fort magarita
7. carpenter street
8. Malaysia-China Friendship Garden, known as Taman Sahabat

I don't think you can visit the 8 places that you have listed out. Bako National Park takes at least a full day.
"Malaysia-China Friendship Garden, known as Taman Sahabat " is nearer to airport so if you are booking a car, ask the driver drop you there

Day 1 arrival then go for Lunch then visit museum + river cruise (woter front) + fort magarita + carpenter street
Day 2 cultural village + semenggoh wildlife + carpenter street
Day 3 go home
+Quote Post
la_Feng
post Jan 5 2011, 04:20 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(moody5 @ Jan 5 2011, 03:57 PM)
I don't think you can visit the 8 places that you have listed out. Bako National Park takes at least a full day.
"Malaysia-China Friendship Garden, known as Taman Sahabat " is nearer to airport so if you are booking a car, ask the driver drop you there

Day 1 arrival then go for Lunch then visit museum +  river cruise (woter front) + fort magarita + carpenter street
Day 3 go home
hey thanks a lot! i got day 4 .. wohoo... so my day 3 is for bako.. its worth rite? RM60
i dont book car, so i will just take taxi to all these places rite?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 5 2011, 05:25 PM

delusional
Group Icon

@moody5,
You can consider some of the itinerary posted a page before see whether or not it suits you. Quite similar to what you intended to do. Anyway you can check with singgahsana staffs, they are quite friendly.

@kimhoong,
If food is your main attraction, you might have some problem with transportation and no one "introducing" you to the food around the city.
Anyway, Lime Tree hotel is situated at the street known as "Padungan" where there's 2 cat statues at the respective 2 end of the street.
You can try the "Laksa Sarawak" and Kolo Mee around that street.
Then walk a little bit further down towards Holiday Inn's direction; you'll see a multi-storey car park where it's known locally as "Permata" or "Top Spot" food court. Meant for seafood dinner.
Walk further up past Hilton (follow the waterfront path) you'll reach the old "market streets", there's many nice food around waiting to be explored.
There are other more "attractive foods" but then again you'll need someone local to drive you to it.

But I do agree with what mikeshashimi's opinion.

This post has been edited by b00n: Jan 5 2011, 05:25 PM
+Quote Post
ezwan21
post Jan 5 2011, 09:21 PM

hye guys,

went to kuching couple months ago.stayed at the hilton for couple day.i had the best meal ever in the morning while walking thru the waterfront shoplots area.its called mee jawa satay.theres about 2 shops that sells bout the same great taste of mee jawa satay.wonder why i did even realize bout it previous of my visit here.if u wanna try it,do try coming before 10am,coz sumtimes it could be sold out by then.dont seems to find it somewhere else in kuching.wonder why?maybe coz im more interested lookin at the locals beauty i guess.hehehheheheh.........mata kuching lorr drool.gif drool.gif

+Quote Post
kimhoong
post Jan 6 2011, 02:08 AM

Group Icon
Football Lounge

QUOTE(Mikeshashimi @ Jan 5 2011, 02:45 PM)
its quite incomplete if u go to kuching without going on environmental expeditions.

its almost like going to KL and not visit the shopping malls. tongue.gif
Thanks for your comment, will give it some serious considerations.

QUOTE(moody5 @ Jan 5 2011, 03:57 PM)

Day 1 arrival then go for Lunch then visit museum +  river cruise (woter front) + fort magarita + carpenter street
Day 3 go home
Will consider to copy Day 1 biggrin.gif

QUOTE(b00n @ Jan 5 2011, 05:25 PM)
@moody5,
You can consider some of the itinerary posted a page before see whether or not it suits you. Quite similar to what you intended to do. Anyway you can check with singgahsana staffs, they are quite friendly.

@kimhoong,
If food is your main attraction, you might have some problem with transportation and no one "introducing" you to the food around the city.
Anyway, Lime Tree hotel is situated at the street known as "Padungan" where there's 2 cat statues at the respective 2 end of the street.
You can try the "Laksa Sarawak" and Kolo Mee around that street.
Then walk a little bit further down towards Holiday Inn's direction; you'll see a multi-storey car park where it's known locally as "Permata" or "Top Spot" food court. Meant for seafood dinner.
Walk further up past Hilton (follow the waterfront path) you'll reach the old "market streets", there's many nice food around waiting to be explored.
There are other more "attractive foods" but then again you'll need someone local to drive you to it.

But I do agree with what mikeshashimi's opinion.
Thanks for your advice. Will keep it for future reference biggrin.gif

Question: For my case, is there a need to rent a car? It's a budget trip, 2 persons only.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 6 2011, 11:19 AM

delusional
Group Icon

@kimhoong
Don't think it's necessary for you to rent a car since you're not going to the outskirt. Some more no one to guide you on where to go even within the city.

Having said that, taxi is hard to come by in Kuching except at hotels, airport and shopping malls. I believe you'll be taking a cab from the airport to the hotel. So if the cab driver is nice, grab his phone number thus whenever you want to travel further, you can give him a call for pick up.

EG, if you want to go to the Muzium; you can take a cab or call a cab to bring you there. But like I say, remember to take down his number so you can call him up for pick up, else you might wait forever for taxi to drive by.
+Quote Post
moody5
post Jan 6 2011, 02:29 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(la_Feng @ Jan 5 2011, 04:20 PM)
hey thanks a lot! i got day 4 .. wohoo... so my day 3 is for bako.. its worth rite? RM60
i dont book car, so i will just take taxi to all these places rite?
RM60 to go bako?
Not easy/cheap to travel around with taxi in Kuching

Added on January 6, 2011, 2:31 pm
QUOTE(b00n @ Jan 5 2011, 05:25 PM)
@moody5,
???? blink.gif
I was just answering La feng..

Added on January 6, 2011, 2:35 pm
QUOTE(kimhoong @ Jan 6 2011, 02:08 AM)
Will consider to copy Day 1 biggrin.gif

Question: For my case, is there a need to rent a car? It's a budget trip, 2 persons only.
Depending on your arrival time to follow this one:
Day 1 arrival then go for Lunch then visit museum + river cruise (water front) + fort magarita + carpenter street
Day 3 go home

What i actually did in my past 3 days trip to Kuching :
Day 1 Lunch > Water Front > Took boat ride to Kampung Boyan to buy Kek Lapis > Carpenter street > Dinner
Day 2 Breakfast > cultural village > Lunch > semenggoh wildlife > Carpenter street > Pullman Hotel Hair Saloon > Dinner
Day 3 Breakfast > Sarawak Museum > Lunch > Go Home

we didn't rent any car but only took a tour package for day 2 at Rm150 each person.
5 of us total spent around Rm1800 excluding flights and accommodations.

This post has been edited by moody5: Jan 6 2011, 02:44 PM
+Quote Post
kimhoong
post Jan 7 2011, 11:03 AM

Group Icon
Football Lounge

Thanks all, especially Moody5!

For me,
Day 1 (arrival@11:30am)
Lunch + visit museum + river cruise (water front) + fort magarita + carpenter street

Day 2
???

Day 3 (departure@4.15pm)

Actually we think RM150 pax for tour package is a bit pricey, that's why we excluding it (plus the fact that we do not fancy it much).... unless someone changes our perspective.

Can anyone help me with the Day 2 and Day 3?
I know that it's been late for planning but I was very busy for the last 2 months rclxub.gif

Next, I need to arrange my food-hunting order
+Quote Post
moody5
post Jan 7 2011, 04:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kimhoong @ Jan 7 2011, 11:03 AM)
Thanks all, especially Moody5!

For me,
Day 1 (arrival@11:30am)
Lunch + visit museum + river cruise (water front) + fort magarita + carpenter street

Day 2
???

Day 3 (departure@4.15pm)
Actually we think RM150 pax for tour package is a bit pricey, that's why we excluding it (plus the fact that we do not fancy it much).... unless someone changes our perspective.
Can anyone help me with the Day 2 and Day 3?
I know that it's been late for planning but I was very busy for the last 2 months rclxub.gif
Next, I need to arrange my food-hunting order
Non Halal food, ok for you?

If you want to do food-hunting, i guess u need to be mindful on your transportation as public transport over there is not that convenient.

There is one 'cha can sat' in Jalan Abell which sell delicious Sarawak laksa and Kolo mee!! Love that place a lot!

+Quote Post
kimhoong
post Jan 8 2011, 09:30 AM

Group Icon
Football Lounge

Last question (should be applicable to other member in future wink.gif )

What is best kuih lapis favour?

This post has been edited by kimhoong: Jan 10 2011, 12:34 AM
+Quote Post
kimhoong
post Jan 10 2011, 01:16 AM

Group Icon
Football Lounge

Some updates about my Kuching (only) so far - I am leaving tomorrow.

Attractions visited:
Waterfront
Temples (3 of them)
Muziums (4-5 of them)
Carpenter + India roads.
River cruise - by small boat.

Places visited for food:
Chong Chun - the best Mee Kolo I have so far (tomorrow going to Min Heng) and Teh C Ping
Top Spot - for Midin and seafood; 2 times - but not because it's good but because it's not easy to find better options for dinner
Open Air Hawker Center - Kolo Mee from Stall 40 and the Sarawak laksa beside it are decent. Mocktails are nice but please avoid "Tay Theng Hui" vmad.gif I think I am conned for a RM2.80 mocktail when others cost RM1.80 (yes, I tried a few from different stalls)
Carpenter Street Hawker - slightly disappointed with the Kolo Mee there, was trying to get pork satay.
CHINESE BARBEQUE SPECIALIST (烧腊第一家) - a bit dry for taste
Kek lapis from Bazaar street.
(There are different types of beers available but most of them suck. Can try Oranjeboom 8.5% for extra strong brows.gif Warning: only for 18+)

Other food:
Tomato Kueh Teow - still looking for it, hope to get it tomorrow
Kueh Chap - will skip it tongue.gif

Added on January 10, 2011, 1:35 amFor those with transportation, maybe can read up this and track with the map provided (a bit old maybe):

http://www.kennysia.com/archives/2008/07/kennysiacom-kuc.php

This post has been edited by kimhoong: Jan 10 2011, 01:35 AM
+Quote Post
moody5
post Jan 10 2011, 09:52 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kimhoong @ Jan 8 2011, 09:30 AM)
Last question (should be applicable to other member in future wink.gif )

What is best kuih lapis favour?
I would recommend Mira Kek House at Kampung Boyan
Their kek lapis made by Golden Curn butter. It is slightly higher price, Rm10 per bar but it is much nicer!
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 10 2011, 11:22 AM

delusional
Group Icon

Tomato mee and kueh tiaw you can try at the Open Air Hawker Center.
Else you would need to find a way to reach Hui Sing Hawker Center or Kenyalang Old Market.

The carpenter street hawker which you mentioned is famous for the pork satay and the fishball soup - same stall actually. The rest is just so-so.
Laksa, can just walk around padungan, there's one coffee shop near the police station; got porridge and laksa, not bad.
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Jan 10 2011, 08:54 PM

kek lapis, should try the kek lapis from kek lapis dayang salhah store. price ranging from rm10 to rm20++. lots of flavours. located across the river.at kampung gersik. u can see it here

http://www.keklapisdayangsalhah.com/
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jan 21 2011, 11:52 PM

for kek lapis...i prefer mira kek lapis...
i don't know why...

but when i meet the local people...they just said that mira kek lapis is better...
+Quote Post
moody5
post Jan 23 2011, 04:28 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Romeo Darius @ Jan 21 2011, 11:52 PM)
i don't know why...

but when i meet the local people...they just said that mira kek lapis is better...
icon_rolleyes.gif you have the same taste with me!

I guess i know why the Mira Kek Lapis is better than outside because they use better butter. They use Goldern Curn butter!
Thats why the taste is different and more aroma! Providing you like the butter taste la..
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Jan 23 2011, 07:08 PM

truthfully, I don't remember what kek lapis dayang salhah taste like. It's been a while since I last ate one. As for Mira, I never try her cakes before. Am going to try once I'm back in Kuching.
+Quote Post
Kiki-Lala
post Jan 23 2011, 09:59 PM

Casual

Going back to Kuching this July to attend Rainforest World Music Festival! Can't wait! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
joelletan_85
post Jan 25 2011, 09:08 PM

Getting Started

Hi all, can anyone recommend personal tour guide cum driver at kuching?
thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
thepostman22
post Feb 4 2011, 11:54 PM

I'm planning to go on honeymoon at Damai Beach Resort this April, prob for 3d2n over there, and then stay for another couples of day in kuching city centre for 'jalan-jalan'

we might be spending most of our budget on damai resort so we prob want to stay at the budget hotel for the remaining days there...

so any suggestion on any budget hotel over there, rate around 100 - 150 per night...the one that's nearest to the airport would be great...

thx
+Quote Post
mbj78
post Feb 5 2011, 11:03 PM

Getting Started

Those who is planning to visit Kuching, I have conclude few story inside my blog.. Do visit http://matkedah.com/

This post has been edited by mbj78: Feb 5 2011, 11:04 PM
+Quote Post
radi0head
post Feb 20 2011, 10:03 AM

A Shocker

guys.. is bako national park worth visiting?

wink.gif

+Quote Post
b00n
post Feb 20 2011, 12:30 PM

delusional
Group Icon

If you appreciates nature, i.e. jungles, animals, floras, terrain formations, hiking; then the answer is yes.
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Apr 2 2011, 11:30 PM

Hi!! Friends, need you help with my trip to Kuching next month. Going there with my family. I went there twice many donkey years ago. The last trip was in 2001 for my honeymoon. The programme as below:

Day 01
Arrival by MAS ETA 1150hrs. Chk in at Harbour View Hotel. After that visit Semenggoh Orang Utan Sanctuary and pottery. Return back to hotel. Free at leisure.

Day 02
Visit Sarawak Cultural Village, Sarawak Museum and Kek Lapis shop.

Day 03
Free at leisure. Transfer to Damai Beach Resort

Day 04
From Damai Beach to Kuching airport ETD 1405hrs by MH

I've been to Restoran Kg Buntal not far from Damai Beach area. I've been to the Cat Museum. I wonder if Kuching Museum is the same with Cat Museum??

Tks

Added on April 2, 2011, 11:36 pmCan u give us the location address and phone number??

QUOTE(Romeo Darius @ Jan 21 2011, 11:52 PM)
i don't know why...

This post has been edited by Listiani: Apr 2 2011, 11:36 PM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 3 2011, 12:18 AM

delusional
Group Icon

No, the main S'wak Museum is in town whereas the Cat Museum is on the way towards Damai Beach.

Personally I would skip the cat museum.
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Apr 3 2011, 03:55 PM

Boon, do u think my programme is ok?? Can we make it since both Orang Utan and Cultural Village have their own show/feeding time??

QUOTE(b00n @ Apr 3 2011, 12:18 AM)
No, the main S'wak Museum is in town whereas the Cat Museum is on the way towards Damai Beach.

Personally I would skip the cat museum.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 3 2011, 05:43 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Sorry I missed that.
The answer is no. Because S'wak culutural village is just next door to Damai Beach resort (both are totally the opposite direction from Semmengoh Orang Utan Santuary). So it should be on the same day as you visit damai for overnight. Thus you can go in the morning and leave your baggage at the resort then go to the S'wak cultural village and only checking in to the resot in the afternoon.

A note, the orang utan feeding time is 10am if I remember correctly and the cultural show is 11am in S'wak Cultural village, if I remember correctly also. You might want to google it up.
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Apr 4 2011, 07:20 AM

OK, I got it. On Day 03, we chk out early from Harbour view and drop our luggage at Damai Resort. Go to SCV until chk in time. The Cultural Show start at 1130hrs and 1600hrs.

But what about Day 01 & Day 02?? What else can we do beside Orang Utan, Pottery, Kek Lapis and Sarawak Museum?? This Fort Margarita is near to Harbour View Hotel right??

Boon, do you think we have enough time to cover Sarawak Museum, Matang Wildlife and go to Kek Lapis shop on Day 02??

QUOTE(b00n @ Apr 3 2011, 05:43 PM)
Sorry I missed that.
The answer is no. Because S'wak culutural village is just next door to Damai Beach resort (both are totally the opposite direction from Semmengoh Orang Utan Santuary). So it should be on the same day as you visit damai for overnight. Thus you can go in the morning and leave your baggage at the resort then go to the S'wak cultural village and only checking in to the resot in the afternoon.

A note, the orang utan feeding time is 10am if I remember correctly and the cultural show is 11am in S'wak Cultural village, if I remember correctly also. You might want to google it up.
This post has been edited by Listiani: Apr 4 2011, 08:47 AM
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 4 2011, 09:50 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Day 1 I suggest take it easy and explore the City of kuching. i.e. You may visit Fort Margarita in the afternoon. Take a boat ride from the Kuching Waterfront walk to go there. Then evening, take a stroll at Kuching Waterfront. (Kek lapis stall is also at the village opposite Kuching Water Front. But I do't know where)

2nd day can go as you plan. i.e. Visit Orang Utan, then on the way back...you can go visit Jong's crocodile farm, then only stop by the pottery factory on the way back to Kuching. Then in the afternoon, visit Sarawak Musuem and the places nearby.

Matang wildlife center is basically a mini zoo or so and has orang utan also. But since the visit you want is more towards the South side, Matang is located towards the North. So totally different direction again. So no point going. Unless you want to change your 2nd day literary to visit Matang Wildlife center then visit the stream there for picnic and little adventurous trekking, before coming back to the city in the afternoon.
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Apr 5 2011, 08:50 AM

sBoon,

We have decided the programme as below:

Day 01
Beside vsiting Kuching Museum and pottery, we will go jalan2 visit Fort Margarita and take the boat ride (not the expensive cruise but the 0.50 cents boat ride) and visit Kek Lapis at Kg Boyan.

Day 02
Visit Semenggok Orang Utan and Anna Rais LongHouse. Back to the hotel.

Day 03
Drop our luggage at Damai Resort and walk over to SCV.

Day 04
Damai Resort to Kuching airport

I would like to do some trekking/hiking but since we have 1 baby and chd, we have to do light tour instead. Probably next time.

Tks for your help Boon rclxms.gif

QUOTE(b00n @ Apr 4 2011, 09:50 PM)
Day 1 I suggest take it easy and explore the City of kuching. i.e. You may visit Fort Margarita in the afternoon. Take a boat ride from the Kuching Waterfront walk to go there. Then evening, take a stroll at Kuching Waterfront. (Kek lapis stall is also at the village opposite Kuching Water Front. But I do't know where)

2nd day can go as you plan. i.e. Visit Orang Utan, then on the way back...you can go visit Jong's crocodile farm, then only stop by the pottery factory on the way back to Kuching. Then in the afternoon, visit Sarawak Musuem and the places nearby.

Matang wildlife center is basically a mini zoo or so and has orang utan also. But since the visit you want is more towards the South side, Matang is located towards the North. So totally different direction again. So no point going. Unless you want to change your 2nd day literary to visit Matang Wildlife center then visit the stream there for picnic and little adventurous trekking, before coming back to the city in the afternoon.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 5 2011, 09:24 PM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(Listiani @ Apr 5 2011, 08:50 AM)
sBoon,

We have decided the programme as below:

Day 01
Beside vsiting Kuching Museum and pottery, we will go jalan2 visit Fort Margarita and take the boat ride (not the expensive cruise but the 0.50 cents boat ride) and visit Kek Lapis at Kg Boyan.

Day 02
Visit Semenggok Orang Utan and Anna Rais LongHouse. Back to the hotel.

Day 03
Drop our luggage at Damai Resort and walk over to SCV.

Day 04
Damai Resort to Kuching airport

I would like to do some trekking/hiking but since we have 1 baby and chd, we have to do light tour instead. Probably next time.

Tks for your help Boon  rclxms.gif
I would recommend slight changes.
The pottery in day 1, change it to day 2, because the area is located on the way back from Semenggok and Annah Rais.

So your first day, you can go visit S'wak Musuem first then return back to the waterfront; take a boat ride to Fort Margarita and Kg Boyan; enjoy the sunset walking from the pier to the end of Kuching Waterfront and have seafood dinner at Top Spot (a multi storey car park, You wouldn't miss it. It's opposite Mcdonald, Standard Chartered Bank).

2nd Day, you probably return to the hotel sometime in the afternoon. So if you missed any of day1 activity, you can still go for it. Else you can visit main bazaar opposite your hotel. Rows of old shops to look for souveniours and food.

Day3, like planned. In the evening or near evening; you can find transportation to go to Buntal fishing village and look for a seafood restaurant there. Sorry I have no reccomendation on which restaurant to visit.

p/s: before I forgot, do watch out on your baby and small kid during the sampan ride because I recall there's no life jacket. It's a normal mode of transport for commuters crossing that Sarawak river.

This post has been edited by b00n: Apr 5 2011, 10:07 PM
+Quote Post
nujikabane
post Apr 5 2011, 11:58 PM

United We Stand

Wondering, how far is the Cultural Village from the Kuching International Airport ? And which is recommended, renting a car or hiring a cab ?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 6 2011, 12:13 AM

delusional
Group Icon

Renting a car wold be more free and easy. But one would need a navigator. Maybe bring along a GPS.

S'wak cultural village is 45 minutes to an hour drive away from the city. From the airport to the heart of the city is only like 15 minutes drive.
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Apr 6 2011, 08:13 AM

Booon!!!!!!!! Thank you very much rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

I'm sure we will have a good time in Sarawak. Can hardly wait for our trip. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(b00n @ Apr 5 2011, 09:24 PM)
I would recommend slight changes.
The pottery in day 1, change it to day 2, because the area is located on the way back from Semenggok and Annah Rais.

So your first day, you can go visit S'wak Musuem first then return back to the waterfront; take a boat ride to Fort Margarita and Kg Boyan; enjoy the sunset walking from the pier to the end of Kuching Waterfront and have seafood dinner at Top Spot (a multi storey car park, You wouldn't miss it. It's opposite Mcdonald, Standard Chartered Bank).

2nd Day, you probably return to the hotel sometime in the afternoon. So if you missed any of day1 activity, you can still go for it. Else you can visit main bazaar opposite your hotel. Rows of old shops to look for souveniours and food.

Day3, like planned. In the evening or near evening; you can find transportation to go to Buntal fishing village and look for a seafood restaurant there. Sorry I have no reccomendation on which restaurant to visit.
p/s: before I forgot, do watch out on your baby and small kid during the sampan ride because I recall there's no life jacket. It's a normal mode of transport for commuters crossing that Sarawak river.
+Quote Post
rushrush
post Apr 6 2011, 01:12 PM

Hi Listiani!
I'm surprised to find you in this forum! I have lived in KCH since 2000 and although based in JB since late 2009, my family is still here. Actually I'm posting this from KCH...on a week's break from work.
I would second Boon's idea you to visit Swak museum first...short 5 min ride by taxi from HV Hotel. Then either you return to hotel or cool off/relax at 5-star Merdeka Palace next door. By 6pm you can stroll to waterfront, then take a sampan across to kampung Boyan/Gersik where they have eateries with great view of KCh city skyline! Also nearby you can pop into Dayang Salhah and banyak lagi kedai2 kek lapis disitu.... you can just sample the goods first! Because you can go back to buy once you made up your mind later! I am not against Dyg Salhah personally but I think her shop is over-hyped and taste wise there are others which are better.
End of Day2: Main bazaar goods expensive because its a touristy area....anyway, the goods there are not suitable for Muslims i.e. statues but the place is a good place to just walk.
Please note that none of the seafood restaurants at Buntal are halal and we had one incident where the cook admitted putting liquor (beer and rice wine) into the soup! I strongly advised you against going to any of those restaurants. Topspot is ok - its been halal-certified.

Added on April 6, 2011, 1:24 pmListiani,
You didn't mention your day of arrival! One of the popular itinerary among Malays coming to KCH is a visit to Serikin town near the Indonesian border, but I presumed as a seasoned visitor to BDG you won't need to. Unsurprisingly most of the goods and sellers are from Pasar Baru! Price wise 15-20% higher than in BDG but limited in terms of range and also not the most up-to-date models.

This post has been edited by rushrush: Apr 6 2011, 01:24 PM
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Apr 6 2011, 01:32 PM

Hheheheheh!! You will find me everywhere in travel forum as me and hubby looooves travelling. Next in our list is Korea biggrin.gif

I appreciate you and Boon's input. We have already rearrange according to you guys recommendation. rclxms.gif

On kuih lapis, I got the same feedback too about Dayang Salhah's kuih lapis. unsure.gif So I guess we try as many possible and decide later. For souvenir, we just want to buy t-shirt and some tit bits for friends here such as fridge magnet. The bazaar near to our hotel sell this, right??

Serikin?? Nah!!! Better shop in Bandung. Heheheheheh!!

OMG!! We did dined in Kg Buntal once during our honeymoon but we thought it was halal coz most of the workers are Indonesian!!! I think we will decide this later when we look at the restaurant.

QUOTE(rushrush @ Apr 6 2011, 01:12 PM)
Hi Listiani!
I'm surprised to find you in this forum! I have lived in KCH since 2000 and although based in JB since late 2009, my family is still here. Actually I'm posting this from KCH...on a week's break from work.
I would second Boon's idea you to visit Swak museum first...short 5 min ride by taxi from HV Hotel. Then either you return to hotel or cool off/relax at 5-star Merdeka Palace next door. By 6pm you can stroll to waterfront, then take a sampan across to kampung Boyan/Gersik where they have eateries with great view of KCh city skyline! Also nearby you can pop into Dayang Salhah and banyak lagi kedai2 kek lapis disitu.... you can just sample the goods first! Because you can go back to buy once you made up your mind later! I am not against Dyg Salhah personally but I think her shop is over-hyped and taste wise there are others which are better.
End of Day2: Main bazaar goods expensive because its a touristy area....anyway, the goods there are not suitable for Muslims i.e. statues but the place is a good place to just walk.
Please note that none of the seafood restaurants at Buntal are halal and we had one incident where the cook admitted putting liquor (beer and rice wine) into the soup! I strongly advised you against going to any of those restaurants. Topspot is ok - its been halal-certified.

Added on April 6, 2011, 1:24 pmListiani,
You didn't mention your day of arrival! One of the popular itinerary among Malays coming to KCH is a visit to Serikin town near the Indonesian border, but I presumed as a seasoned visitor to BDG you won't need to. Unsurprisingly most of the goods and sellers are from Pasar Baru! Price wise 15-20% higher than in BDG but limited in terms of range and also not the most up-to-date models.
+Quote Post
nujikabane
post Apr 6 2011, 08:51 PM

United We Stand

QUOTE(b00n @ Apr 6 2011, 12:13 AM)
Renting a car wold be more free and easy. But one would need a navigator. Maybe bring along a GPS.

S'wak cultural village is 45 minutes to an hour drive away from the city. From the airport to the heart of the city is only like 15 minutes drive.
My flight from will touch down at 1:30pm, so I think renting a car will be easier, wouldn't it?
Especially it will be tight to get the 2:15pm bus from the Majestic Hotel to Sarawak Cultural Village.

Anyway, what is the rental price in Sarawak ?

I seldom rent cars when traveling; however, I went to Kota Kinabalu last 2weeks, and the rental for a day is RM90.
Wonder what the car rental in Sarawak will cost.
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 6 2011, 10:18 PM

delusional
Group Icon

Oh, I never knew that Buntal is non-halal. But anyway, Buntal as a fishing village got many Malays staying there also. So some should be halal IMO.
Top Spot definitely halal.

@nujikabane,
Am not really sure about car rental price. I think a few pages back there's one guy whom rented a car from local unimas student. Maybe you can search back the post and try PM him for information & contacts etc. I think it should range between RM70-90 per day.

Added on April 6, 2011, 10:19 pmbtw, if got time; go visit Sunday market which started Saturday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. You can get souveniors from there too. But then it's not walking distance.

This post has been edited by b00n: Apr 6 2011, 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
lomz
post Apr 13 2011, 10:27 PM

me and my friends will going to kuching, sarawak on 19 may till 23 may...
any recommendation of a budget home-stay at that particular area...
im in a group at about 12 people...all male...
please give me some feedback.. biggrin.gif tq
+Quote Post
BlueHippo
post Apr 14 2011, 12:03 PM

Hey guys, I'm heading to Sarawak mid of the year would like to know any clean and cheap hotel to recommend there? Will be staying for almost a week there.
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Apr 14 2011, 05:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(BlueHippo @ Apr 14 2011, 12:03 PM)
Hey guys, I'm heading to Sarawak mid of the year would like to know any clean and cheap hotel to recommend there? Will be staying for almost a week there.
I personally love the Pullman. It's roughly RM250 per night which is cheap by my standards for what they provide (huge rooms, excellent 5-star breakfast, very good location).

+Quote Post
shadow_dweller
post Apr 14 2011, 08:53 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(nujikabane @ Apr 5 2011, 11:58 PM)
Wondering, how far is the Cultural Village from the Kuching International Airport ? And which is recommended, renting a car or hiring a cab ?
It's quite far. Quite a long drive. Yes, hire a car to drive on ur own with GPS or hire a car with driver. The public transport and bus is not quite reliable.
+Quote Post
joelletan_85
post Apr 20 2011, 06:27 PM

Getting Started

Do we need passport to enter Sarawak for 4days vacation? Malaysian born in West Malaysia.

Or we just need to fill in a form to enter? need to pay for the form?
+Quote Post
b00n
post Apr 21 2011, 12:24 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(joelletan_85 @ Apr 20 2011, 06:27 PM)
Do we need passport to enter Sarawak for 4days vacation? Malaysian born in West Malaysia.

Or we just need to fill in a form to enter? need to pay for the form?

No longer needed. That ruling on needing passport to enter East Malaysia had been abolished since ages ago.
IC to pass through immigration is enough. Although with passport, one can choose the automated gateway, i.e. passport reader.

This post has been edited by b00n: Apr 21 2011, 12:25 AM
+Quote Post
Lancer75
post Apr 22 2011, 12:52 PM

Is 360 resort hotel recommended? I'm planning to go next month.
+Quote Post
Misteripunyaolang
post Apr 22 2011, 02:04 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Lancer75 @ Apr 22 2011, 12:52 PM)
Is 360 resort hotel recommended? I'm planning to go next month.
If i'm not mistaken, 360 hotel is located at the Hock Lee Centre somewhere in Padungan Area. That place is quite far from city centre. Maybe about 3km from the waterfront, mcdonald, Tun Jugah shopping cmplx, Cat statue, 4-5km from India street, muzium, old court building.

You can walk if you have the stamina or taxi.
+Quote Post
igmroey
post Apr 26 2011, 11:43 PM

Getting Started

Hi guys. Im bringing my gf over to kch for 3 days 2 nights. Any places i should bring her ? I'm from kch btw, just that there's a lot of things i can do just the time is really short. 2 days of full activities would just spoil the leisure time. Any places worth going?the places i have in mind are...
croc farm, semenggoh wild life, esplanade, opposite river walk walk + orchid garden, cat museum, sunday market satok, friendship park

Places like Damai, santubong, serapi, bako, bau would take quite a long journey and damai/sautubong would be quite a waste of time ( is it ? just beach ). bako would be expensive for 2 of us. take boat ride to and fro, then what else can we do there ? Hike for 1 or 2 hours ? den come back ?
Bau is too far.
Mulu national park is also quite far and the beach near it i forgot whats the name.

Are there any places anyone can recommend ? I think i just want this trip to be a leisure walk in the park, and not like a rush to see every part of kuching ( which is impossible considering kota samarahan etc everywhere its too big )

And is there any vegetarian food to recommend? She doesn't really like meat so i won't try to flatter her with kolo mee kueh chap and those stuffs.
She loves tofu though... are there any shops in kuching serving nice plates of tofu dish ?

thanks!!!
we'll be going from this saturday till nez monday.
+Quote Post
Keong
post May 9 2011, 09:30 PM

I was in Kuching some months back and I just have to recommend this guesthouse to stay at. It is called Beds. Nice, comfy place with some of the friendliest people around.
Quiet place, suitable for family.

Have a look below:

http://www.bedsguesthouse.com/

p.s I do not have business interest with Beds...am simply a very satisfied guest there smile.gif
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post May 29 2011, 05:28 AM

I'm looking for my 2nd visit to Kuching..
my 1st time was on last November..

for those who are looking for a reasonable car rental price in Kuching, u can check this site..

http://www.fairuzcarrental.com/

I rented viva auto from him on my 1st visit.. very satisfied..
he filled full tank fuel for u on delivery..
but u need to re-fill back on return..
but viva does not use much fuel i think..

GPS, airport, extra charge RM10..

i stay on Penview Hotel..
the rate is RM80 per night (queen bed + no window + breakfast for 2 person etc)..
RM110 pernight (queen + windows + breakfast for 2 person etc)

very2 cheap for 3 star hotel with a very satisfied condition..
last time i went there, there's a renovation took place..
i think now the hotel will be bigger than the previous one..

airasia have promotions now..
i got RM58 for round trip KL - Kuching on early July 2011.. awesome price! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by Romeo Darius: May 29 2011, 05:29 AM
+Quote Post
reengurl
post May 29 2011, 11:33 PM

Getting Started

Well you guys can always opt for Tune Hotels if you are on a budget. Location is very near to Kuching Waterfront, just need to cross the road biggrin.gif I stayed there during my visit April this year.
+Quote Post
Listiani
post May 30 2011, 08:31 AM

Just came back from Kuching 2 days ago. Harbour View hotel is sucks. I will not stay there again. When we chk in, there were only 1 towel. I asked for another towel and waited for 40 minutes never arrive. I went down to the reception and asked for it. The hotel reception is very cold, never smile or greet their customer. Upon chk out, I saw many luggage lying around on the hotel lobby. I told the bell boy to separate our luggage and tied it with red string to avoid confusion after he gave us the luggage tag claim. He said he know what to do. We walk a litte bit further and watch him. He took someone else bag and mix it with our bag. I told him that is not our bag and u shud tied the red string on our bag otherwise you will get mix up again. He got angry and tossed our bag to the other side.

Damai Resort hotel on the other one was superb. Their staff are very friendly and helpful. In fact, they have the feeding stray cats programme which I found very enlightening. So many cats around the area and they set up one feeding station so the cats won't disturb the customer at the coffee house. I even suggested to them to neuter the cats to avoid overpopulation.

Sarawak Cultural Village is another worth our money. The only let down was they charging visitor RM1 for trying blowpipe at Penan House. Also, charging for sampling the local kuih in one of the houses. Entrance fee is RM60. They should take Mari Mari Cultural Village in Kota Kinabalu as an example. Mari Mari Cultural Village charge visitors RM65 per entry that include lch or dnr. Visitors can sample the local food for free and even try the blowpipe from Murut tribe.

For kek lapis, I highly recommended Maria Kek Lapis. Located in front of the waterfront. Same row with the bazaar. Slightly expensive (RM17 per bar) but taste wise is so much better than Dayang Salha or Mira Kek House.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our trip. We also borong pottery and kek lapis. Hehehehehhe!!

On another note, I found signal for Celcom Broadband in Kuching town is very weak and sometimes none. Can anyone tell me why??

This post has been edited by Listiani: May 30 2011, 08:36 AM
+Quote Post
Cloudx
post Jun 8 2011, 10:17 PM

Peaceeeee~~

Guys, I'm going to Kuching for a 5D4N trip this July 2nd.

Here's some of the attraction that I will be going.

1. Sarawak Cultural Village
2. Semenggoh Wildlife reserve
3. Sarawak Museum
4. Cat Museum
5. Damai Beach
6. Kuching town

Is there any other attractions that is worth going? It's a 5 days trip so its gonna be quite long tongue.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 9 2011, 12:18 AM

delusional
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cloudx @ Jun 8 2011, 10:17 PM)

3. Sarawak Museum
4. Cat Museum
5. Damai Beach
6. Kuching town

Is there any other attractions that is worth going? It's a 5 days trip so its gonna be quite long tongue.gif
If you enjoy trekking, you can visit Bako National Park. Go there in the morning and come back in the evening or even can spend one night there.
Can try kayaking as well, no rapid but more towards leisure kayak. http://www.kuchingkayak.com/
Jong's Crocodile farm.
Matang wildlife center; then can play in the stream in the nearby forest reserve before coming back in the evening.

If you have diving license and thinking of diving; I can introduce a friend who operates outdoor adventure, so you can see whether or they are doing any wreck diving in July. But obviously you need to pay for the trip.
+Quote Post
milopeng
post Jun 13 2011, 10:14 AM

3. Sarawak Museum
4. Cat Museum
5. Damai Beach
6. Kuching town

oh..you just missed the rainforest world music festival by one day.
it's a yearly event... http://rainforestmusic-borneo.com/
and the ticket price seems to be increasing every year sweat.gif

i hope u've got your accomodations all booked. Coz this time of the year is especially busy bcoz of the RWMF...and accomodation prices actually do go up this time of the year too (2 wks to 1 mth b4 & aftr the event date).

hope u have a good trip to Kch yea!! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Jun 14 2011, 01:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!

3. Sarawak Museum
4. Cat Museum
5. Damai Beach
6. Kuching town

Sarawak Cultural Village is at least half a day or closer to a whole day event if you go through every single long house. Don't miss the actual show itself when you're roaming around the village. Well worth the visit in my opinion.

Semenggoh is maybe a 1-2 hour trip. The orangutans are amazingly agile with beautiful fur but damn the jungle is hot and humid. Try not to join the crowd, walk and just stand quietly in the jungle for a few minutes, enjoying the sounds around you.

I liked the Sarawak Museum but finished it in maybe 1 hour. Cat museum was cute but was also quick. Damai was just ok. Just walking around Kuching town was nice, it's very walkable and very clean.

Have missed the Rainforest Music festival every year since I started going to Kuching several years ago biggrin.gif Should be fun!

+Quote Post
milopeng
post Jun 17 2011, 10:41 AM

QUOTE(tishaban @ Jun 14 2011, 01:36 AM)
Sarawak Cultural Village is at least half a day or closer to a whole day event if you go through every single long house. Don't miss the actual show itself when you're roaming around the village. Well worth the visit in my opinion.

Semenggoh is maybe a 1-2 hour trip. The orangutans are amazingly agile with beautiful fur but damn the jungle is hot and humid. Try not to join the crowd, walk and just stand quietly in the jungle for a few minutes, enjoying the sounds around you.

I liked the Sarawak Museum but finished it in maybe 1 hour. Cat museum was cute but was also quick. Damai was just ok. Just walking around Kuching town was nice, it's very walkable and very clean.

Have missed the Rainforest Music festival every year since I started going to Kuching several years ago biggrin.gif Should be fun!
Yes, don't miss the show at the S'wak Cultural Village.
If i remember correctly, they only have 2 shows per day. 1 in the morning, 1 in the aftrnoon. Check the timings b4 heading there so u can plan properly smile.gif

Yea, Damai is just a beach area. So not much entertainment.
If u're up for more activities, u can choose to spend a night at Camp Permai (same locality as Damai).
It'll give you a more "rainforest/jungle" feel. They can organise kayaking, jungle hikes, BBQ, low or high rope obstacle courses. Or alternatively, u can just soak in their cooling jungle pool and laze the day away thumbup.gif
U can do a day trip too.
For prices, u'll need to check with them. I believe they have a webpage.

@tishaban - yea, the RWMF is lotsa fun, especially if u go in a group!! icon_rolleyes.gif
so even if you dont enjoy some of the music, u at least get to enjoy a great time with your frens/family! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jun 30 2011, 07:42 AM

Hello guys..

Calling for b00n! rclxms.gif or other guys.. icon_question.gif

Thanks b00n for helping me with my 1st visit to Kuching last November..

I will go again to Kuching on 2nd July - 4th July 2011.. this weekend! thumbup.gif
this time will visit my cousin..
so only 2 of us..

So, hope u guys can help me with my plan..

I rent car from unimas student again (amoi woo) drool.gif ..
this time get cheaper rates for Viva 1.0 Auto.. RM80 per day..
I can tell u this is the cheapest rate i ever found here..
take and deliver at airport kuching.. easy!

GPS is a must if u self drive!
so just bring from home..

-----------------------------------------------------------

DAY 1, Saturday

1.45am - Arrival @ Kuching airport
2.15pm - Check in at Penview Hotel
3.30pm - Arrived at unimas to take my cousin
- Lunch somewhere near unimas (don't know yet) ---> Suggestion?
5.00pm - Taman Sahabat
6.30pm - The Spring
- Movie time.. dun ask why we go for movie.. my cousin really want to do that with me..huhu!
- Dinner (don't know yet) ---> Suggestion?

DAY 2, Sunday

8.00am - Move to Semenggoh Orang Utan Sanctuary
- Hope will arrive before 9am (feeding time right)
10.00 - Proceed to Annas Rais Long House
OR
Jong's Crocodile Farm ---> Suggestion? Which one is better?

1.00pm - back to Kuching City
- Lunch (don't know yet) ---> Suggestion?

3.00pm - Buy souvenir at waterfront
- Cross river with sampan
- Kek lapis
- Anything else to do?

7-9pm - Seafood time! (don't know yet) ---> Suggestion?
- Before this i ate at TopSpot
- any other place to eat seafood?

DAY 3, Monday

10.00am - Museum Sarawak
- Anything else to do? ---> Suggestion?
1.00 -3.00pm - Around Unimas
4.00pm - Back to KL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few questions:

1) Any good place to take dinner around The Spring or Taman Sahabat on day 1?

2) On day 2, when should i leave Penview Hotel if want to be at Semenggoh around 8.45am?

3) Any special requirement at semenggoh? I just wonder if the place is so wet and need to wear sport shoe.. i just bring my casual adidas shoe..

4) On day 2, which 1 i should go: Annah Rais or Jong's Crocodile Farm?
- Not found Jong's crocodile on google map..

5) Sarawak Pottery factory? Any near of my plan to visit location? If near than i should visit this too.. Can't locate on google map..

6) Good Seafood? Where to eat other than top spot.. already visit last time.. my lists:

- D'village cafe, Jalan Rock (at 2 & 1/2 mile opposite Fortuneland)
- Kampung Barok
- Kampung Boyan

7) I have 2 other place to eat.. Kubah Ria dan The Green Cafe House.. I can't locate where Kubah Ria is on google map..
So don't know the suitable time to go there and where should i find the place?

Complicated plan right? rclxub.gif It's so near.. point me some ideas please..

Thanks..

*Muslim and need HALAL food thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by Romeo Darius: Jun 30 2011, 07:46 AM
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Jun 30 2011, 09:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!

3. semenggoh depends a lot on whether or not it rained the day/night before. If it didn't then it won't be wet but the jungle is very humid so be prepared. I suggest not to join the crowd, walk a bit further behind and enjoy the quiet forest sounds.

4. have been to Annah Rais and it's just ok. Sarawak Cultural Village is far far better if you want to see long houses.

6. went to several places and I always go back to Topspot due to the sheer choice they have there.

btw wouldn't your cousin who's from unimas know some good places to eat? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jun 30 2011, 02:21 PM

QUOTE(tishaban @ Jun 30 2011, 09:04 AM)
3. semenggoh depends a lot on whether or not it rained the day/night before. If it didn't then it won't be wet but the jungle is very humid so be prepared. I suggest not to join the crowd, walk a bit further behind and enjoy the quiet forest sounds.

hmm... good suggestion!

4. have been to Annah Rais and it's just ok. Sarawak Cultural Village is far far better if you want to see long houses.

already visit SCV last november..

btw wouldn't your cousin who's from unimas know some good places to eat? biggrin.gif

girl.. what do u expect.. know nothing.. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Listiani
post Jun 30 2011, 03:01 PM

Not because she's a girl. That is typical ignorance Malaysian.

QUOTE(Romeo Darius @ Jun 30 2011, 02:21 PM)
hmm... good suggestion!
already visit SCV last november..
girl.. what do u expect.. know nothing..  tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Jun 30 2011, 04:21 PM

On day 2, which 1 i should go: Annah Rais or Jong's Crocodile Farm?
- Not found Jong's crocodile on google map..

annah rais is further than Jong's crocodile farm. the last time i went to jong's crocodile farm, there's not much to see thought. Just crocodiles and souvenir shop. It's located at Mile 15 , Siburan area. Annah rais, if not wrong there's a hot spring near the long house.
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Jun 30 2011, 05:12 PM

Casual

Well, if u have plenty of time. U can spend 2-3 hrs at Jong Crocodile Farm then proceed to Annah Rais longhouse. Don't forget to take some dip at Annah Rais hot spring. Trip from Jong to Annah Rais (take left turn after u see Borneo Highland Resort) take bout 45- 1hrs drive.
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jun 30 2011, 06:40 PM

QUOTE(Listiani @ Jun 30 2011, 03:01 PM)
Not because she's a girl. That is typical ignorance Malaysian.
opss sorry miz.. just kidding ok.. i personally respect girl.. notworthy.gif

annah rais is further than Jong's crocodile farm. the last time i went to jong's crocodile farm, there's not much to see thought. Just crocodiles and souvenir shop. It's located at Mile 15 , Siburan area. Annah rais, if not wrong there's a hot spring near the long house.

Well, if u have plenty of time. U can spend 2-3 hrs at Jong Crocodile Farm then proceed to Annah Rais longhouse. Don't forget to take some dip at Annah Rais hot spring. Trip from Jong to Annah Rais (take left turn after u see Borneo Highland Resort) take bout 45- 1hrs drive.

Nice help! thumbup.gif

hmmm.. Actually Annah Rais long house attract me more than Jong's Crocodile..
real long house area is unique and only can be found in Borneo..
but crocodile farm.. boring i think..

I just fear I'll spend more time in car (2 hours round trip) than in the Annah Rais..
Just wonder what will i do in Annah rais..
I surely will not go to hot spring because my cousin is girl..
not suitable for both of us as I don't fancy getting wet on my trip..
but the culture attract me a lot.. only it's too far from city..

One more thing..
Any chances for me to eat at Kubah Ria after watching movie at The Spring?
i guess will finished around 9.00pm..
I don't know where the location is..
near The Spring?

I have GPS later.. but need to know the location to make me easier to plan..
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jun 30 2011, 10:57 PM

delusional
Group Icon

If you know the way to Semmengoh, Annah Rais is on the same road towards the very end; just follow Borneo Highland's road sign.
If you have money to spare; you can go to Borneo Highland and spend half a day there. It's expensive (more than RM100 if not wrong) but the sight is superb. Personally haven't been there but saw from the photo the sight is quite nice. You can't drive up like going Genting or Cameron, you'll need to park your car at the bottom, buy ticket and they will bring you up.

On Sunday evening you can actually drive towards SCV area; before that, there's this fishing village - Buntal. You can have seafood there as well as enjoy the sunset there. Don't ask me which seafood restaurant nice because I hardly eat there. There used to be BBQ squid (sotong panggang) stalls during my teenage days; don't know whether they still sells it or not. Also, heard that there's a new shopping village at Damai area and there's a new food outlet.
http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/06/17/da...con-in-kuching/

Kubah Ria is below Satok bridge (you don't drive up, you drive below like going to U-turn at highways) and i think they open till quite late (midnight); so no prob. Used to eat the spring chicken there during teenage time but never visited that place for a very long time. But be ready for the jam as Sunday Market is bfore that area on the same road (Kch's version of pasar malam, as the locals comes on Sat and leave on Sun to sell their products).

btw, your Cuz ought to know more...right? Invite her local friends along as a guide lor... wink.gif

This post has been edited by b00n: Jun 30 2011, 11:01 PM
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jul 1 2011, 05:55 AM

QUOTE(b00n @ Jun 30 2011, 10:57 PM)
If you know the way to Semmengoh, Annah Rais is on the same road towards the very end; just follow Borneo Highland's road sign.
If you have money to spare; you can go to Borneo Highland and spend half a day there. It's expensive (more than RM100 if not wrong) but the sight is superb. Personally haven't been there but saw from the photo the sight is quite nice. You can't drive up like going Genting or Cameron, you'll need to park your car at the bottom, buy ticket and they will bring you up.
You come at last! Always be my hero.. thumbup.gif

I found some pics.. Borneo Highland is really awesome place.. but out of budget.. sad.gif

On Sunday evening you can actually drive towards SCV area; before that, there's this fishing village - Buntal. You can have seafood there as well as enjoy the sunset there. Don't ask me which seafood restaurant nice because I hardly eat there. There used to be BBQ squid (sotong panggang) stalls during my teenage days; don't know whether they still sells it or not. Also, heard that there's a new shopping village at Damai area and there's a new food outlet.
I don't remember whether the new food outlet was ready or not when I was there last time..
but i don't think i will be there again this time just to eat seafood..
too far lorr..

Kubah Ria is below Satok bridge (you don't drive up, you drive below like going to U-turn at highways) and i think they open till quite late (midnight); so no prob. Used to eat the spring chicken there during teenage time but never visited that place for a very long time. But be ready for the jam as Sunday Market is bfore that area on the same road (Kch's version of pasar malam, as the locals comes on Sat and leave on Sun to sell their products).

btw, your Cuz ought to know more...right? Invite her local friends along as a guide lor... wink.gif
Glad that i already locate all the places on Google maps and GPS..

At last I decide to ignore Jong's crocodile and proceed to Semenggoh n Annah Rais..
Will eat at Raja Ayam Penyet Kopitiam, Green House Cafe, Kubah Ria..

Seafood will decide later whether D'village cafe, Jalan Rock or TopSpot..
Will ask local people for advice..

Movie also change from The Spring to Medan Pelita, Start Cineplax..

Thanks you guys for your help!
I will post my view when I back from Kuching.. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jul 1 2011, 11:51 AM

delusional
Group Icon

Jalan Rock one is expensive... so beware. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Augus7
post Jul 1 2011, 12:15 PM

www.facebook.com/sitrusholic

jalan rock one doesnt serve lard but they do serve beer...so if u're not so conservative it should be ok, seen few malay datuks eat there b4. Price wise is average but i found the food quite good...

Added on July 1, 2011, 12:16 pmMedan pelita cinema sucks, u're so gonna regret it...go the spring for better viewing

This post has been edited by Augus7: Jul 1 2011, 12:16 PM
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jul 1 2011, 03:01 PM

QUOTE(b00n @ Jul 1 2011, 11:51 AM)
Jalan Rock one is expensive... so beware. wink.gif
jalan rock one doesnt serve lard but they do serve beer...so if u're not so conservative it should be ok, seen few malay datuks eat there b4. Price wise is average but i found the food quite good...

Hmmm.. I glad u told me this! Nasib baik it's not too late.. sweat.gif

Medan pelita cinema sucks, u're so gonna regret it...go the spring for better viewing

My cousin suggest medan pelita.. haiyaa.. my cousin has weird eye maybe.. ahaksz.. Thanks ya! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Listiani
post Jul 1 2011, 03:05 PM

Not really. One man's meat is the other men's poison. Selera manusia tak sama biggrin.gif

My cousin suggest medan pelita.. haiyaa.. my cousin has weird eye maybe.. ahaksz.. Thanks ya! smile.gif

[/quote]

+Quote Post
blackright
post Jul 4 2011, 03:06 AM

try singgahsana lodge, very comfortable backpackers lodge at a very reasonable price.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jul 4 2011, 06:06 AM

Getting Started

If you go to Mudah.com, under 'accomodations' category, there are a lot of home stays for daily rental and some with a van included. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Romeo Darius
post Jul 6 2011, 07:17 AM

Just came back from kuching last 4th July..

everything was ok except the weather..
i think it's raining on every evening in kuching now..
so for those who plan to have sampan ride on evening, u will have problem..

on day 1..
lunch at Oten near unimas..
I planned to hangout at Taman Sahabat..
but due to heavy rain, we just proceeded to The Spring..
watched Transformer..

the seat were all nearly full..
only front seat were available..
so no choice at all..
i really don't enjoy watching from front seat..
better not take it on the future..huhu!

after watched movie, we took dinner at RJ Ayam Penyet..
behind MARA building at Satok..
the taste.. hmmm.. quite ok lah.. no so good because i don't like to eat rice without kuah..
just ketchup not enough for me..

Day 2..
well..
my cousin sakit perut for the whole day..
really bad..
so no semenggoh oran utan..
no sampan ride because it was raining..

i took lunch at The Green House cafe near ING Insurans building at 2pm..
little bit late..
only ayam penyet was available..

night we took dinner at abc topspot..
RM99 for 2 person..
we really membazir.. :-P

after dinner we hangout at waterfront till midnight..

Day 3

buy souvenir at waterfront..
lunch at Bombay Masala near unimas..

QUOTE(etigge @ Jul 4 2011, 06:06 AM)
If you go to Mudah.com, under 'accomodations' category, there are a lot of home stays for daily rental and some with a van included. icon_rolleyes.gif
If u want to get cheaper rate, u should rent from unimas student..
i have few numbers if u want..

Thanks b00n and friends! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Jul 6 2011, 08:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Was at the Damai area, the food outlet is still very new with barely anything there. Construction is still finalizing so lots of empty stalls. It's right across from the cultural village.

Oh and the picture in the Borneo Post article is a lot nicer than the building in real life. The actual building looks like an eyesore on a beautiful seafront, I wish they spent a bit more time and money on design to integrate it more into the beautiful natural surroundings. Maybe when it's all completed...

+Quote Post
g5sim
post Jul 7 2011, 11:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Hi Peeps,

An acquitance is currently in Kuching for the rainforest festival.

Just a quick check on the cheapest way to get to Kampung Budaya or Cultural Village (the venue of the festival) from Kuching.

Approximately how much and where can one gets the service.

Thank you in advance. smile.gif

(segan nak tanye, sendiri orang Kuching tak tahu plak tongue.gif )
+Quote Post
mingyew
post Jul 7 2011, 11:56 AM

Regular

using ur thumb.. FREE .. lol
+Quote Post
g5sim
post Jul 7 2011, 12:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(mingyew @ Jul 7 2011, 11:56 AM)
using ur thumb.. FREE .. lol
how do i use my thumb to get to Cultural Village? laugh.gif
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jul 7 2011, 12:17 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(g5sim @ Jul 7 2011, 12:00 PM)
how do i use my thumb to get to Cultural Village?  laugh.gif
user posted image
+Quote Post
g5sim
post Jul 7 2011, 12:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(etigge @ Jul 7 2011, 12:17 PM)
user posted image
oh .. i bodoh . sorry ..

anyhow wink.gif

20RM return trip from Holiday Inn Kuching Hotel wink.gif

http://www.malaysiahotelreview.com/sarawak...an-budaya.shtml
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jul 7 2011, 12:53 PM

delusional
Group Icon

You can drive there, but then have to park at Santubong then hitch a ride up to SCV.

Else you can try go all those hotels and check out, because a lot of tourist is here in Kch for the Rainforest Fest. So a lot of hotels actually arranged transportation.
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Jul 7 2011, 02:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I saw banners for buses going there, RM10 one way from the water front area. Was there on Tuesday.

+Quote Post
feralee
post Jul 16 2011, 10:00 AM

Enthusiastic (R)(C)(tm)

Will be going Kuching this 24 July

Here is my itinerary

Day 1
View at Civic centre tower
Cat Monument
China Town, Main Bazaar, Old State Mosque, Tua Pek Kong Temple
Kuching waterfront, Taman Sahabat & Sarawak Museum

Day 2
Semenggoh Orang Utan Centre
Pottery Factory
Cat Museum
Sarawak Cultrual Village
Orchid Garden
Kek Lapis factory

Day 3
Free & easy - Any recommend place to go before i go back? icon_question.gif

Staying at four point sheraton hotel

This post has been edited by feralee: Jul 16 2011, 10:35 AM
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Jul 16 2011, 11:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Four points is pretty far off, hope you have a car to get around.

Sarawak Cultural Village is at least half a day visit if you do most of the stuff, not including travel time. Semenggoh is also around 1 hour away from Kuching town. I doubt you can do everything in Day 2.

+Quote Post
g5sim
post Jul 17 2011, 05:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(feralee @ Jul 16 2011, 10:00 AM)
Will be going Kuching this 24 July

Here is my itinerary

Day 1
View at Civic centre tower
Cat Monument
China Town, Main Bazaar, Old State Mosque, Tua Pek Kong Temple
Kuching waterfront, Taman Sahabat & Sarawak Museum

Day 2
Semenggoh Orang Utan Centre
Pottery Factory
Cat Museum
Sarawak Cultrual Village
Orchid Garden
Kek Lapis factory

Day 3
Free & easy - Any recommend place to go before i go back?  icon_question.gif
Staying at four point sheraton hotel
you can spend the entire day at Culture Village and the nearby beach (real beach tongue.gif ) resorts there.
+Quote Post