Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

RHCE or LPIC?, Any Linux certified holder?

views

SeanConnery
post Jul 8 2008, 10:15 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(jlchannel @ Jul 6 2008, 10:27 AM)
As I know, only Training Choice can provide RHCE exam & training in Malaysia.

For LPI, you can subscribe to MYOSS malling list or checking Planet MYOSS http://planet.foss.org.my/ for the LPI exam announcement. You will definetely get a better deal compare to those authorized LPI exam training center like VUE or prometric.

Good luck!
Have subscribed and emailed the contact person Ditesh. No news as of yet. Perhaps Linux is experiencing a slowdown in Malaysia.

williamkow
post Jul 9 2008, 06:49 AM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(jlchannel @ Jul 6 2008, 10:27 AM)
As I know, only Training Choice can provide RHCE exam & training in Malaysia.

For LPI, you can subscribe to MYOSS malling list or checking Planet MYOSS http://planet.foss.org.my/ for the LPI exam announcement. You will definetely get a better deal compare to those authorized LPI exam training center like VUE or prometric.

Good luck!
Also take note that http://www.iverson.com.my/ is also one of the certified training & exam center for RHCE exam in Malaysia.

halilintar
post Aug 7 2008, 10:18 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(animorphs @ May 15 2008, 06:28 PM)
I'm interested in getting certified.

But not sure RHCE or LPIC to go for.

Any advice from linux certified holders? Which certification is more useful for working environment?

Managing Bind/ Apache/ Cluster/ Mail/ Firewall/ etc...
---My personal *humble* opinion (I have both),

RHCE:
1) If you're really serious in your Unix/Linux career coz RHCE is the most sought-after compare to rest
2) If you have 'RM' to attend the rapid track course + RHCE exam. If you are such a 1337, you can just straight away take the exam without rapid track course.
3) If your working environment has a lot of Red Hat products

LPI:
1) If you have mixed Linux distro environment
2) If you don't have enough money to take RHCE
3) If you want to learn a lof of things in Linux environment (coz the topic/syllabus is wider than RHCE)

After all, please review the objectives/summary of both certifications so that you will know which is one is suitable for you. Good Luck :)
bhyz
post Aug 16 2008, 05:30 PM

5 posts

hi to all you aspiring Linux admins...

Let me add a few thoughts from both a aysadmin perspective and a employer pesrpective.

from an employer perspective:

I thinks what's important is yr actual experiance and skill. Not so much the Cert. Or which distro of Linux (you would most likely have to switch, to whatever your employer uses). Most small-shops, (smaller SW companies) would willingly look at someone with skills and experiance even w/o the cert.

However if you prefer to be in the Corp. or Gov segment, then the Cert is more important, if anything to get you passt the HR Dept's. shortlist, before someone even interviews you. Besides I think most of the jobs will be with small-shops, the big-guys cover their a** and go with MS or Sun, etc...
However, if you do get an interview with a small-shop, you'd better be good with yr real-skills, becos the guy that interviews you will be technical, and will know his/her stuff.

How to gain the skills:

There's nothing like real experience! Just going to a course and passing the exam ain't gonna cut it. Don't go down the MCSE path, - get have a cert. but incapable of doing anything more than setting up a server!
By experience, I dont mean job-wise, because you wont get hired without the experiance in the 1st place.

Instead, you get experiance by playing and using Linux. Install it into yr home PC or Laptop and really use, as your primary system. It will do most of the things you normally do on the PC, browse, read mail, word-processing, etc... BUT it wont be much good for games! If you do web-development, even better, set up your LAMP stack (or Java Tomcat/JBOSS, Python stuff (my favourite)), and use it. If not then find friends who do, then offer to set-up and administer their servers (make sure its not mission-critical).

You also have to be familiar with setting up Linux on a variety of HW, laptops, towers, rack-mount servers. Old obsolete/computers make great challenges (and learning experiance) - to install and get Linux up on. Although you might try your first install using one of the 'modern' Linux distros, with their (Life CD's) like Ubuntu, for later install (and probably on old HW) you should use a distro that DOES NOT have a GUI installer (Debian, Slackware). That way, if the Graphics card is not recognised, it will still install.

One of the first questions I ask in an interview, is "..how many Linux installation you have done in your life, and on what type of hardware?". If the answer is something like "... more than 10, and from Quad-core 64-bit servers to a 8yr old Mac PPC Latop" she's pass the 1st hurdle.

Also get familiar with more than 1 distro of Linux, there are surprisingly large numbers of them. There are vers. for setting up supercomputing clusters, to 'small' distros that will run in 255k of RAM and boot from a thumbdrive or CD. A painless way to get started is to play with one of the Live CD's, that allows you to boot up and play with linux without having to install.

One thing when moving into the Linux world, is you have to leave the comfort zone of your GUI and get friendly and profficient with the Command Line Interface (CLI)! Yes you can still have you GUI, but sysadmin work is done more efficiently through the CLI. Even the GUI world is different, in Linux, because there are so many, and all are very customizable! And often, for a server install, you leave out the GUI, it saves HD space and present less of a security risk.

Sysadmin work also requires you to do some programming - writing scripts to automate tasks (for e.g. rename 1,000 files spread over many directories - don't do that mnually) Hence most learn shell-scripting, but I prefer Python for that (Perl is pretty established for that too).

Being a good Linux admin means having depth as well as width. Not only knowing a few things well but also keeping up to date. Linux develops very fast and often have features that are only available on the latest commercial systems. One such cool technology (not so) recently, is LVM (Logical Volume Manager) which allows you to 'virtualise' your storage, allows you to add HD without screwing around with partitions and mount-points. So you have to be able understand the concepts, apply it and fix the problems!

Fixing problems is key, Linux if configured and installed well, seldom gives problems. However if there are problems, there is seldom a need to do a lobotomy - "erase the HD and resinstall" type solution for Windoze! Not when you have servers with RAID, LVM etc... but also with Linux, things can be fixed if you know how.

That's the next thing with learning/fixing Linux, "the answer is out there" - on the internet. If you know how to google and have the dedication & discipline, you can learn more by youself than you can by spending $$ for a course. (of course having a syllabus to follow is a good thing).

Aside from just learning Linux, you also need a firm understanding of networking, that will allow you to focus on applying yr knowledge to use Linux to be servers, network-devices (routers, bridges, firewalls), Web, database, SAMBA (Windows server, with Active Directory), Print servers, application servers etc... if you can do that well, and have a firm grasp of the principles behind it as well, then you'll have a job, no problem.

PS I've used Linux since 1997, too many distro's to remember, but current favourites are Debian & Ubuntu. I use Linux mostly for Servers for work, I've worked for NASDAQ listed dot.coms, as System Architect, Project Manager, been in a few start-ups, but am currently free-lancing and involved in another new start-up. I stll do Linux and code. But for desktop, I do use Linux, but prefer my Mac!

ditesh
post Aug 19 2008, 10:01 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
192 posts

QUOTE(SeanConnery @ Jul 8 2008, 10:15 PM)
Have subscribed and emailed the contact person Ditesh. No news as of yet.
Yeah, I've been busy with various things in ${PERSONAL_LIFE}.

QUOTE(SeanConnery @ Jul 8 2008, 10:15 PM)
Perhaps Linux is experiencing a slowdown in Malaysia.
Not at all, read OpenMalaysiaBlog and you'll see that Linux and Open Source in general is picking up at an exponential rate!
malaysiavm
post Aug 25 2008, 10:32 AM

3 posts

Linux in Malaysia is NOT slow tongue.gif

regmaster
post Oct 16 2008, 11:27 PM

9 posts

Very inspiring by bhyz

I will be back again Linux, I have been missing you for more than a year and half.

Maybe I will take both cert like bro halillintar

AND Linux Jobs in Malaysia is not slowing down its picking up
nicktarc
post Oct 16 2008, 11:48 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

QUOTE(animorphs @ May 15 2008, 06:28 PM)
I'm interested in getting certified.

But not sure RHCE or LPIC to go for.

Any advice from linux certified holders? Which certification is more useful for working environment?

Managing Bind/ Apache/ Cluster/ Mail/ Firewall/ etc...

Also where could I get cheap and reliable training courses from?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
LPIC don need attend any class before exam, RHCE u need to attend essential, sys admin, and network admin class 1... even experienced user need to attend 1 day classification class...

RHCE only touch on RH based linux stuff...

LPIC cover all the linux; not sure SuSE in included, for sure Debian and RH is there...

So, just decide it la...

Or u can get more opinion by contacting my friend (jk.cheng@dioscom.co.cc). He experienced in conducting opensource training...
SeanConnery
post Nov 26 2008, 10:34 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(ditesh @ Aug 19 2008, 10:01 PM)
Yeah, I've been busy with various things in ${PERSONAL_LIFE}.
Not at all, read OpenMalaysiaBlog and you'll see that Linux and Open Source in general is picking up at an exponential rate!
Haha.. you read my posting. Hope I didn't offend you in anyway, as you are one of the linux gurus in Malaysia smile.gif
jensenz
post Jul 15 2016, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
120 posts

please recommend the best training center with best instructor in Klang valley.
half_lif3
post Jul 20 2016, 11:21 AM

Casual
498 posts

I believe RHCSA or RHCE offer more value.
I'm a LPIC-1 certified and looking forward to get certified in RHCSA.

I just miss the deal whereby Iverson rahmadan promotion offer RM5070 for RHCSA (9 days training with exam) and rm2870 for RHCE (5 days training with exam). aikzzzzzzzzz

This post has been edited by half_lif3: Jul 20 2016, 11:24 AM
petirbuas
post Jul 26 2016, 12:18 PM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
898 posts

QUOTE(half_lif3)
,Jul 20 2016, 11:21 AM]

I just miss the deal whereby Iverson rahmadan promotion offer RM5070 for RHCSA (9 days training with exam) and rm2870 for RHCE (5 days training with exam). aikzzzzzzzzz
RedHat is indeed more recognizable.

No need to attend class also can. Just read the objective and Michael Jang book biggrin.gif
If you're seasoned(>5years) Unix/Linux sysadmin working with more than 30 physical server, its relatively easy.
Actually RHCSA is harder for me as I don't dab with physical server much.

But need to take note on the RHEL version. I think current one is RHEL 7 with systemd.

This post has been edited by petirbuas: Jul 26 2016, 12:18 PM
half_lif3
post Jul 26 2016, 02:53 PM

Casual
498 posts

QUOTE(petirbuas @ Jul 26 2016, 12:18 PM)
RedHat is indeed more recognizable.

No need to attend class also can. Just read the objective and Michael Jang book  biggrin.gif
If you're seasoned(>5years) Unix/Linux sysadmin working with more than 30 physical server, its relatively easy.
Actually RHCSA is harder for me as I don't dab with physical server much.

But need to take note on the RHEL version. I think current one is RHEL 7 with systemd.
yalor..need to self learn RHEL7..
Company mostly using RHEL 6 for the time being..
petirbuas
post Jul 27 2016, 09:48 AM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
898 posts

QUOTE(half_lif3 @ Jul 26 2016, 02:53 PM)
yalor..need to self learn RHEL7..
Company mostly using RHEL 6 for the time being..
Linux Academy apparently have RHEL 7 based course for RHCSA & RHCE. Might be worth a try.
$9 for first month.
Justin.Lee.CH
post Jul 28 2016, 09:22 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(half_lif3 @ Jul 20 2016, 11:21 AM)

Hi there,

For your info, Info Trek does provide training on RHCSA and RHCE

Some sample calculation for you:

Some example for you:
RHCSA (with exam)
• RM 7,470 for the course and exam (Original Price RM 9,200)
• RM 2,400 reimbursement (pass exam and submit for reimbursement)
Net Investment of RM 5,070 for the training

RHCE (with exam)
• RM 4,270 for the course and exam (Original Price RM 5,500)
• RM 1,400 reimbursement (pass exam and submit for reimbursement)
Net Investment of RM 2,870 for the training

user posted image

If you got any inquiries, do drop me an email - justin.lee@info-trek.com

This post has been edited by Justin.Lee.CH: Jul 28 2016, 09:23 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0154sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:29 PM