Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Post Graduate Diploma vs (Master's Degree & phD), The difference?

views

TSCyanideX
post Apr 29 2008, 12:08 PM, updated 16y ago

4 posts

Hi guys,

I would like to inquire about the difference(s) among the three above. For me, I thought Master's Degree and Doctorate (phD) are considered as Post Graduate Diploma. Post Graduate Diploma is a "category" whereby refers to courses that you may take after you are a graduate (obtained your first Bachelor's Degree). You MUST have a Bachelor's Degree (or refered to as just Degree in most situation) in order to purse your Master or phD and thus the term "Post GRADUATE Diploma". The reason i'm asking?

Well, I went to Jobstreet today to update my info. When i click on the drop down box of "Highest Level of Academic Qualification", i was presented with this list of qualification which includes Post Graduate Diploma, Master's Degree and Doctorate (phD). All 3 of them are treated as different/separate items which i can only choose one. This means that my initial understanding about the 3 terms is wrong. If Master's Degree and phD are not the same as Post Graduate Diploma, then what is Post Graduate Diploma? When do we pursue it?

And off the record, from the list of drop down boxes, i saw an item, "Advanced/Higher/Graduate Diploma". I was like WTF? How can advanced diploma or higher diploma in the same category as graduate diploma? Don't tell me Graduate Diploma is not the same as a Bachelor's Degree. According to Oxford Thesaurus Dictionary, a graduate is a person who has obtained his/her first Bachelor's Degree. Therefore a phD is also a graduate because in order to get phD, u need a Degree. Thus, a phD is a graduate and more precisely, a post-graduate. And to my understanding, the terms Graduate Diploma, Graduate Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Degree are all synonymous and can be used interchangeably. Is it not?
Thanx for reading and extended thanxes for those who can enlighten me on these academic jargon issue.
TSCyanideX
post Apr 29 2008, 12:57 PM

4 posts

Thanks for the insightful info.
I suppose that most ppl advance to Master's from Degree without going through Post-Grad Cert & Post-Grad Dip right?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0193sec    0.70    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM