Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Post Graduate Diploma vs (Master's Degree & phD), The difference?

CyanideX
post Apr 29 2008, 12:08 PM

Group: Junior Member

Hi guys,

I would like to inquire about the difference(s) among the three above. For me, I thought Master's Degree and Doctorate (phD) are considered as Post Graduate Diploma. Post Graduate Diploma is a "category" whereby refers to courses that you may take after you are a graduate (obtained your first Bachelor's Degree). You MUST have a Bachelor's Degree (or refered to as just Degree in most situation) in order to purse your Master or phD and thus the term "Post GRADUATE Diploma". The reason i'm asking?

Well, I went to Jobstreet today to update my info. When i click on the drop down box of "Highest Level of Academic Qualification", i was presented with this list of qualification which includes Post Graduate Diploma, Master's Degree and Doctorate (phD). All 3 of them are treated as different/separate items which i can only choose one. This means that my initial understanding about the 3 terms is wrong. If Master's Degree and phD are not the same as Post Graduate Diploma, then what is Post Graduate Diploma? When do we pursue it?

And off the record, from the list of drop down boxes, i saw an item, "Advanced/Higher/Graduate Diploma". I was like WTF? How can advanced diploma or higher diploma in the same category as graduate diploma? Don't tell me Graduate Diploma is not the same as a Bachelor's Degree. According to Oxford Thesaurus Dictionary, a graduate is a person who has obtained his/her first Bachelor's Degree. Therefore a phD is also a graduate because in order to get phD, u need a Degree. Thus, a phD is a graduate and more precisely, a post-graduate. And to my understanding, the terms Graduate Diploma, Graduate Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Degree are all synonymous and can be used interchangeably. Is it not?
Thanx for reading and extended thanxes for those who can enlighten me on these academic jargon issue.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Avex
post Apr 29 2008, 12:13 PM

Casual

b4 getting a Master, the student enrolled for master will go through postgraduate certificate, then to post graduate diploma then only master (after you done ur final Master research).
+Quote Post
cks2k2
post Apr 29 2008, 12:24 PM

Group: Senior Member

We need azarimy now!

AFAIK:
Masters and PhD are referred to as post-grad degrees, not post-grad diplomas.
From my (limited) understanding, post-grad dip in most countries is awarded to ppl who were undertaking a Masters degree but did not meet all the graduation requirements.

Advanced/Higher/Grad diploma are essentially the same thing.

Summary: Dip < Adv Dip < Bachelor's degree/post-grad dip < Master's < PhD

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Avex
post Apr 29 2008, 12:34 PM

Casual

Dip < Adv Dip < Bachelor's degree<post-grad cert<post-grad dip < Master's < PhD ( I think PhD also got a few stages)

This post has been edited by Avex: Apr 29 2008, 12:35 PM
+Quote Post
CyanideX
post Apr 29 2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the insightful info.
I suppose that most ppl advance to Master's from Degree without going through Post-Grad Cert & Post-Grad Dip right?
+Quote Post
cks2k2
post Apr 29 2008, 01:09 PM

QUOTE(CyanideX @ Apr 29 2008, 12:57 PM)
I suppose that most ppl advance to Master's from Degree without going through Post-Grad Cert & Post-Grad Dip right?
It's dependent on the uni's system. Like in my case its either you get your Masters or you don't. For degree students taking a direct path to PhD, you either get the PhD or if you don't meet the PhD requirements you "down-grade" to a Masters.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
frags
post Apr 29 2008, 01:22 PM

The Wizard
Group Icon
Gamer's Hideout
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(CyanideX @ Apr 29 2008, 12:57 PM)
Yeah some places actually award you with Pgc and Pgd while you are doing your Masters.
+Quote Post
SeLrAhC
post Apr 29 2008, 02:09 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★

QUOTE(cks2k2 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:09 PM)
It's dependent on the uni's system. Like in my case its either you get your Masters or you don't. For degree students taking a direct path to PhD, you either get the PhD or if you don't meet the PhD requirements you "down-grade" to a Masters.
agree... rclxms.gif most of the time is like this... masters of science and phds are academic degrees...

most of the ad dip. or MBAs are professional degrees
+Quote Post
djspinnet
post Apr 29 2008, 04:53 PM

On my way

I have done a Postgrad Diploma before.

Essentially, Postgrad Diploma is closer to research based Honours than Masters. It is definitely not comparable to Masters let alone PhD, although if you perform well in your PDip you may be eligible to skip straight to PhD.

Postgrad Dip is an option for people who:
1) Cannot qualify for Honours (if you're following the Aussie system where Honours is a separate course that you need to qualify for)
2) People who switch fields (i.e., I graduated in Comp Sci. but wanted to do my postgrad research in Arts, hence I did Postgrad Dip). It may be called Masters Qualifying in some places.
3) People who want to acquire certain knowledge in a particular field post-graduating but do not want to take a 2-3 year course.

And no, Postgrad Cert is not a requirement to do Postgrad Dip, and Postgrad Dip is not a prerequisite for Masters. The only prerequisite for Postgrad Dip is that you have a bachelor's degree. And with the Postgrad Dip, you may apply for Masters course in the relevant field should you intend to do Masters.

Hope this info helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask smile.gif

Edit: Clarification on what are postgraduate courses. As for classification, Postgrad Dip, Masters and PhD are ALL postgraduate courses. Postgraduate courses essentially mean any course (such as PDip, Masters, PhD) that is taken after you've completed your first bachelor's degree.

This post has been edited by djspinnet: Apr 29 2008, 04:56 PM
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Apr 29 2008, 05:31 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

ah, i'm too late. it's already been explained! LOL! and djspinnet's explanation sums it up quite nicely.

just a few additional notes to add:

i. even if u take a 2nd or 3rd bachelors degree, u cant call them postgraduate degree. only PGDip, masters and doctorates are considered postgrad courses.

ii. refer to the quote below

this is only for a MPhil/PhD route. it doesnt apply to all PhD courses. like mine, i started my PhD not as an MPhil, but a PhD. i dont have the luxury to be downgraded to masters (MPhil). if i do not meet my PhD requirements, i will fail entirely.

iii. so to answer TS's question about jobstreet's options:

yes, it is a mistake to categorize advanced diploma with postgrad diploma bcoz those two are not within the same category.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Apr 29 2008, 05:32 PM
+Quote Post
Dyong
post Apr 29 2008, 05:39 PM

Casual

Certificate > Diploma > Advance diploma > Degree > Post Grad cert > Post Grad Diploma > Master's > PHD

Post grad diploma are normally for
1) Graduates undertaking learning in a different field.
(eg: computer science graduate to take a marketing)

2) Experienced professional without prior degree certification, who wish to embark on an Masters.
(Units done in Post Graduate diploma are granted exemptions on relevant Masters)

Yes, Post Grad Diploma is not widely accepted in Asian context, guess most only focus on the word "Diploma" without understanding the context.
+Quote Post
apple_more
post Mar 8 2010, 04:26 PM

Group: New Member

after adv dip did i need to go through degree for master's???????????
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Mar 8 2010, 06:57 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

QUOTE(apple_more @ Mar 8 2010, 08:26 AM)
after adv dip did i need to go through degree for master's???????????
technically, yes especially if u dont have enough credit to fulfill the university's requirement for a masters application. but each university has its own different interpretation of what is "enough credit", so do check.
+Quote Post
alaskanbunny
post Mar 8 2010, 09:03 PM

Foodie

adv dip n post grad dip is 2 diff things.. a lot of schools are marketing pgc n pgd as a path towards masters
+Quote Post
hmmmmm
post Nov 28 2010, 11:45 AM

guys, please forgive my small brain. i'm still a little messed up from all the discussions u guys had. but yeah i do get the rough idea.

but please do enlighten me ASAP. i'm actually applying for a uni in the UK for my archhitecture course.

the universities in the UK offers BA Arch and BSc Arch for part 1 and i'm thru with this, googled the internet, got happy, done.

but when it comes to part 2, they offer Grad Dip, BArch ( NOT BA Arch yo.), MArch and Dip Arch. i've googled everything up but I STILL DUN GET THE PICTURE OF WHICH IS BEST FOR ME. i'm definitely going to become an architect. a great one. wink.gif

so guys, mind helping me out a bit? i would really appreciate it!

p.s.: i need to know fast as my due date for application is running close. n i just came upon this post JUST recently. like 5 minutes ago. forgive me for being so silly. missing out such great post. ;D
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Nov 28 2010, 03:28 PM

平成の光

ask in this thread
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/623018
+Quote Post
lawezy
post Oct 8 2011, 07:18 AM

Group: New Member

But may i ask; per adventure someone does not meet the gpa reqirements for masters but has a degree in the field they want to master in, what can be done to get into a master program.

i've heard the term pre-masters being tossed around but i don't fully understand it and i would like to know if anything can be done especially in canadian schools

Thank You very much for your responses smile.gif

This post has been edited by lawezy: Oct 8 2011, 07:19 AM
+Quote Post
ExtremeSeller2012
post Oct 19 2011, 09:01 PM

Getting Started

Certificate > Foundation > Diploma > Higher/Advance Diploma > Masters > PHD

Masters & PHD are called post graduate degrees or graduate degree.
Below are under graduates.
+Quote Post
alaskanbunny
post Oct 19 2011, 09:49 PM

Foodie

QUOTE(ExtremeSeller2012 @ Oct 19 2011, 09:01 PM)
Certificate > Foundation > Diploma > Higher/Advance Diploma > Masters > PHD

Masters & PHD are called post graduate degrees or graduate degree.
Below are under graduates.
certificate is not below foundation or diploma... cause certificates are professional degrees

you miss out bachelors doh.gif

there's post grad dip also..
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0561sec    2.02    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 04:06 PM