Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> pharmacy @ segi college, kota damansara campus (Life Sciences)

jerk
post Apr 15 2008, 01:03 AM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

segi college is starting a pharmacy course this september. twinning with university of sunderland of uk. 2+2 .

ranking of U for pharmacology and pharmacy in uk

Entry Standards Overall Score
2 Nottingham 439 97.7
6= Strathclyde 402 91.9
16= Sunderland 311 84.2

source : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13439,00.html

not much information available on the website of segi but they are pretty sure starting it this september.

got the approval but i not sure whether it is recognised by uk or out government or not but a full degree completed in sunderland is recognised by our government.

dont know why they are not promoting heavily on it at the moment. any idea?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
youngkies
post Apr 15 2008, 06:44 AM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon
Group: Staff

QUOTE(jerk @ Apr 15 2008, 01:03 AM)
segi college is starting a pharmacy course this september. twinning with university of sunderland of uk. 2+2 .
ranking of U for pharmacology and pharmacy in uk

Entry Standards Overall Score
2 Nottingham 439               97.7
6= Strathclyde 402             91.9
16= Sunderland 311                  84.2
source : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13439,00.html
not much information available on the website of segi but they are pretty sure starting it this september.

got the approval but i not sure whether it is recognised by uk or out government or not but a full degree completed in sunderland is recognised by our government.

dont know why they are not promoting heavily on it at the moment. any idea?
it is not accredited by the pharmaceutical society in UK yet, which means the graduates of this new twinning program are not qualifed to train as pre-registration pharmacist.

and cambridge doesnt do pharmacy degree, so the no.1 spot for cambridge is either for pharmacology alone or act as a standard reference point (i.e. entrance standard) by general.

there aren't much pharmacy schools in UK, and sunderland ranked at 16 isn't good enough. sunderland is famous for their overseas pharmacist conversion course, but not their undergraduate pharmacy course.

my advise is to go for Nott's Uni Msia campus if you would like to practice in uk in the future, because they have been accredited by the society recently, or strach IMU 2+2 (I don't know much abt IMU 2+2 because of them opt for the 2 1/2 + 1, where this route doesnt allow their graduates to further train UK before qualifying as a pharmacist).

Added on April 15, 2008, 6:55 amthis is another Uni guide: http://browse.guardian.co.uk/education?Sea...rmacology&Go=Go

as you can see, the top players are always notts, cardiff, bath, Sch. of. Pharm, Manchester, liverpool and strathclyde (gaining good places in recent years), but sunderland has not made it yet.

This post has been edited by youngkies: Apr 15 2008, 06:55 AM
+Quote Post
Teong
post Apr 15 2008, 11:05 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

<<"it is not accredited by the pharmaceutical society in UK yet, which means the graduates of this new twinning program are not qualifed to train as pre-registration pharmacist.">>

Correction: The Sunderland 2+2 at Segi has been accredited, and even commended by royal pharmaceutical society of great britain (RPSGB), which means students are qualified to practice anywhere in the commonwealth.
Just approach Segi and ask to meet Dr. Wong.
The reason why it is not publicy promoting the programme is that it is awaiting final approval from pharmacy board/ mqa (malaysian side).

+Quote Post
youngkies
post Apr 15 2008, 02:48 PM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon

QUOTE(Teong @ Apr 15 2008, 11:05 AM)
<<"it is not accredited by the pharmaceutical society in UK yet, which means the graduates of this new twinning program are not qualifed to train as pre-registration pharmacist.">>

Correction: The Sunderland 2+2 at Segi has been accredited, and even commended by royal pharmaceutical society of great britain (RPSGB), which means students are qualified to practice anywhere in the commonwealth.
Just approach Segi and ask to meet Dr. Wong.
The reason why it is not publicy promoting the programme is that it is awaiting final approval from pharmacy board/ mqa (malaysian side).
i couldnt find any data saying that sunderland + segi has been fully accredited by rpsgb.

not yet: http://www.rpsgb.org/pdfs/ugaccredsegi.pdf...arch=sunderland

nott's msia campus has only been accredited lately summer last year after a few year of establishment that their graduates are allowed to do pre-reg in uk and singapore. i read that in the pahrmaceutical journal published weekly.

+Quote Post
jerk
post Apr 16 2008, 12:43 AM

Enthusiast

thanks youngkies for the rpsgb link..

the problem with me is that my father is very keen to send me oversea but my result is not that good for applying direct entry to australia or even nottingham twinning. a little below borderliine for imu which i plan to apply after my ielts test.

father isnt listening to me about the risk of being the first batch and personally i feel that segi is unexperienced in the field of healthcare.

however, segi do have the lab and so on ready.they told my father that they have the lecturer and so on, not sure about that though.
+Quote Post
youngkies
post Apr 16 2008, 06:56 AM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon

QUOTE(jerk @ Apr 16 2008, 12:43 AM)
thanks youngkies for the rpsgb link..

the problem with me is that my father is very keen to send me oversea but my result is not that good for applying direct entry to australia or even nottingham twinning. a little below borderliine for imu which i plan to apply after my ielts test.

father isnt listening to me about the risk of being the first batch and personally i feel that segi is unexperienced in the field of healthcare.

however, segi do have the lab and so on ready.they told my father that they have the lecturer and so on, not sure about that though.
well as long as they are approved in malaysia, then it should be fine. just dont go somewhere, which in the end, your degree is not recognised by malaysia.

if you can't get into nott's, try IMU, at least they have years of experience in the degree and being pioneer in the twinning pharm degree. but if you dont have the choices and are just passionate to be a pharmacist, by all mean go for it. Segi + Sunderland Uni might not be the best in pharmacy, but still you get the chance to study in UK. and who knows the rpgsb will just accredited the twinning program just before you graduate.
+Quote Post
jerk
post Apr 17 2008, 01:01 AM

Enthusiast

i got an offer from ucsi for four years local but my father doesnt like the idea of a local degree .moreover ucsi degree is not recognise by the government yet.

however thanks for your advice

would you tell me more bout the overseas pharmacist conversion course that u mention above?

This post has been edited by jerk: Apr 17 2008, 01:06 AM
+Quote Post
youngkies
post Apr 17 2008, 01:22 AM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon

QUOTE(jerk @ Apr 17 2008, 01:01 AM)
i got an offer from ucsi for four years local but my father doesnt like the idea of a local degree .moreover ucsi degree is not recognise by the government yet.

however thanks for your advice

would you tell me more bout the overseas pharmacist conversion course that u mention above?
it is quite pointless to do twinning program anyway if you are not allowed to practice in that country after graduation, unless you father is thinking to use additional money to let you have some experiences outside malaysia.

overseas pharmacist conversion course is compulsory short course for overseas pharmacist that is looking to practice in UK. following the course, you will have to do a pre-registration training for a year, before sitting the exam and passing it at 70% overally to be a qualified pharmacist in UK. but then before all, i think you will need to have at least 3 years of working experiences as qualified pharmacist at your home country or country that award you the degree.

search keyword like 'pharmacy' in this section, there are a few other threads discussed earlier that are very useful.
+Quote Post
jerk
post Apr 17 2008, 01:39 AM

Enthusiast

---it is quite pointless to do twinning program anyway if you are not allowed to practice in that country after graduation---

that is what i trying to make my father understand...hopefully i can suceed.

now quite headache also. trying to find a win win situation now
+Quote Post
Teong
post Apr 22 2008, 12:48 AM

Casual

QUOTE(youngkies @ Apr 15 2008, 02:48 PM)
i couldnt find any data saying that sunderland + segi has been fully accredited by rpsgb.

not yet: http://www.rpsgb.org/pdfs/ugaccredsegi.pdf...arch=sunderland

nott's msia campus has only been accredited lately summer last year after a few year of establishment that their graduates are allowed to do pre-reg in uk and singapore. i read that in the pahrmaceutical journal published weekly.
ur right. the rpsgb site has not been updated. sunderland-segi received the accreditation in december 2007, which allowed segi to run in january and september 2008. the college can't run the programme until the malaysian pharmacy board approves it.
+Quote Post
jerk
post Apr 23 2008, 02:01 AM

Enthusiast

i suppose teong is going for the september intake??still in great doubt whether should settle for segi or not. guess i would only decide after visiting their open day in may
+Quote Post
Teong
post May 11 2008, 11:25 AM

Casual

QUOTE(jerk @ Apr 23 2008, 02:01 AM)
i suppose teong is going for the september intake??still in great doubt whether should settle for segi or not. guess i would only decide after visiting their open day in may
Just know Dr. WH Wong, the dean of the faculty at SEGi. He has confirmed that the MPharm with Sunderland has received approval from both MQA (LAN) on 9th May (K8100), and re-confirmed that the 2+2 degree is accredited by RPSCGB, for the purposes recognition in the UK.

The other alternative here in Malaysia is Nottingham.

Fees for Sunderland 2+2 is RM33K per year for 2 years in Malaysia, and you'll need another RM120-140K for studies in Sunderland.
+Quote Post
jerk
post May 12 2008, 12:03 AM

Enthusiast

hmmm....the fees it self doesnt differ much from nottingham.i am sure nottingham is also rm33k for first 2 years.

Teong,
i suppose you are going for SEGi,right?

Added on May 12, 2008, 12:17 ambut if you can..you should try applying for nottingham. at least they are the top players since the fees doenst differ much.

even if you didnt meet the minimum requirement, you still has the chance as long as you shine during your interview and in your personal statement during application.

This post has been edited by jerk: May 12 2008, 12:17 AM
+Quote Post
youngkies
post May 12 2008, 12:56 AM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon

QUOTE(Teong @ May 11 2008, 11:25 AM)
Just know Dr. WH Wong, the dean of the faculty at SEGi. He has confirmed that the MPharm with Sunderland has received approval from both MQA (LAN) on 9th May (K8100), and re-confirmed that the 2+2 degree is accredited by RPSCGB, for the purposes recognition in the UK.

The other alternative here in Malaysia is Nottingham.

Fees for Sunderland 2+2 is RM33K per year for 2 years in Malaysia, and you'll need another RM120-140K for studies in Sunderland.
hmm.. not too sure. if it is fully accredited, you can found at least an article from rpsgb website.

but so far i haven't see anything yet. lets wait and see then. cause the last time, i read the nottingham full accreditation in the pharmaceutical journal.

+Quote Post
becca_yeo
post May 14 2008, 11:32 AM

ok ok . I've looked into the facilities in SEGI, I'd say its definitely good enough. Almost as good as nottingham's but not on par. THe dean was formerly from SIT twinning with the prestigous UNISA, which means he's one of those who are on the premier league.

Here's the ultimate question to decide if segi is good enough or not: WAS SIT-UNISA doing fine? Or the students were struggling not to drown in AUS? If ok, we're all good to go.

Provisional accreditation usually if issued, the rest should be pretty smooth. Unless the whole class flunked the exams. By then, I got nothing to say la.

Total fees of nottingham and sunderland is very much different. Only the fees here are the same. But when you get to Uk, you'll find the fees is Nott costs a whole lot more than Sund-enough to reduce ppl to be a pauper.

So...wad do you guys think?
flex.gif

This post has been edited by becca_yeo: May 14 2008, 11:48 AM
+Quote Post
jerk
post May 16 2008, 01:23 AM

Enthusiast

becca_yeo

have you try IMU? it is much cheaper compare to nottingham. let us put it this way, you pay more because nottingham is really good in pharmacy/pharmacology plus all the experience and reputation they built up all these years in uk.

of course i am not saying that sunderland is not good.but it is good to actually consider nottingham if your parents can afford it. after all, it will be a good investment for your future . an degree from a reputable U somehow do help you secure a job although in the end of the day people employ you because of how good you really are.

if you are considering working in uk after graduation then i would say that with nottingham or IMU 2+2 you stand a better chance.not definite though.

Added on May 16, 2008, 1:27 amProvisional accreditation usually if issued, the rest should be pretty smooth. <--- no one can actually guarantee you anything.it might stay at Provisional accreditation after 5 years and you can take no action on them as there is no black and white stating that THERE WOULDNT BE ANY PROBLEM. what i am trying to say is there is certain level of risk that you need to consider.

UniSA actually reject my application.guess i am not good enough.haha

This post has been edited by jerk: May 16 2008, 01:27 AM
+Quote Post
becca_yeo
post May 18 2008, 10:10 PM

I believe standing out in a field itself very much depends on the individuals instead. After all, this is uni we're talking about. It's much more diverse in a way when we look at it.

IMU is also facing provisional accreditation for Bpharm. All unis have gone through the process, thus definitely there are risks involved but I believe as long as the institution doesn't perform too badly, it's worth the risk.

erm..jerk, are there any ways to address you? imagine ppl calling u "hey jerk" all about. ha ha. you're now...in imu i suppose?

Sunderland's pharm prog is still quite reputed in UK too....good news for pharmacy is pouring in Msia. Ha ha.. rclxm9.gif
+Quote Post
jerk
post May 19 2008, 01:43 AM

Enthusiast

actually i dont mind when people adddress me as jerk. after all it is just a nick i use as long as you have no intention of scolding me using that word.haha

planning to go for direct entry in aus. IMU is only going to let me know the outcome in november if i apply. so i didnt try although i am interested.

one thing i dont like about seGi pharmacy course is that it is the first year they are offering it. i dont like the idea of being the first batch as i am afraid that it will be very messy.

it is indeed a hard decision to choose which U and what course to take as i believe each of them will end up quite differently.

although i agree with your statement of "I believe standing out in a field itself very much depends on the individuals instead. After all, this is uni we're talking about. It's much more diverse in a way when we look at it.", i believe that there will be difference in quality of education that you are going to receive , the syllabus,how well you are equipt for the working world and so on. i am not saying that expensive equal to good but rather just providing another perspective on how i look at this matter.

actual world is materialistic and i do believe that the name of the university you graduate will help you secure your first job.any subsequent will depends on how good you are.i am not saying that graduates from other not-so-famous university will have trouble securing a good job though.

i believe each of us deserve getting the best education as long as our parents can afford it but there is no way we can define best education.

the best thing to do is to consider every option you have and never regret the one that you decide upon.
+Quote Post
Teong
post Jul 8 2008, 05:16 PM

Casual

QUOTE(becca_yeo @ May 14 2008, 11:32 AM)
ok ok . I've looked into the facilities in SEGI, I'd say its definitely good enough. Almost as good as nottingham's but not on par. THe dean was formerly from SIT twinning with the prestigous UNISA, which means he's one of those who are on the premier league.

Here's the ultimate question to decide if segi is good enough or not: WAS SIT-UNISA doing fine? Or the students were struggling not to drown in AUS? If ok, we're all good to go.

Provisional accreditation usually if issued, the rest should be pretty smooth. Unless the whole class flunked the exams. By then, I got nothing to say la.

Total fees of nottingham and sunderland is very much different. Only the fees here are the same. But when you get to Uk, you'll find the fees is Nott costs a whole lot more than Sund-enough to reduce ppl to be a pauper.

So...wad do you guys think?
flex.gif
Hi. Just for the record, I'm not going for the MPharm but am doing some research for a relative.
The Sunderland MPharm, from fee perspective, is equal to Nottingham in first two years (RM33K), but is a lot more affordable for the final 2 in the UK at L6650 per year.

Added on July 8, 2008, 5:21 pm
QUOTE(jerk @ May 12 2008, 12:03 AM)
hmmm....the fees it self doesnt differ much from nottingham.i am sure nottingham is also rm33k for first 2 years.

Teong,
i suppose you are going for SEGi,right?

Added on May 12, 2008, 12:17 ambut if you can..you should try applying for nottingham. at least they are the top players since the fees doenst differ much.

even if you didnt meet the minimum requirement, you still has the chance as long as you shine during your interview and in your personal statement during application.
I'm not going for SEGi but am doing some research for a relative. I"m way too old and do not qualify for the Mpharm in any case.

You are right about Nottingham having a higher rank as compared to Sunderland. However, one need to ask - what's the purpose of getting the Mpharm degree. To me, I value industry recognition and membership. Both Nottingham and Sunderland gives you that.

My conclusion is that Nottingham is stronger from a research standpoint i.e. publications and cutting edge research into pharmacology and pharmacy. However, the industry perceive Sunderland grads as being more recognised as practising pharmacists worldwide.

This post has been edited by Teong: Jul 8 2008, 05:21 PM
+Quote Post
youngkies
post Jul 8 2008, 08:47 PM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon

QUOTE(Teong @ Jul 8 2008, 05:16 PM)

I'm not going for SEGi but am doing some research for a relative. I"m way too old and do not qualify for the Mpharm in any case.

You are right about Nottingham having a higher rank as compared to Sunderland. However, one need to ask  - what's the purpose of getting the Mpharm degree. To me, I value industry recognition and membership. Both Nottingham and Sunderland gives you that.

My conclusion is that Nottingham is stronger from a research standpoint i.e. publications and cutting edge research into pharmacology and pharmacy. However, the industry perceive Sunderland grads as being more recognised as practising pharmacists worldwide.
In Uk, there are only 27 pharmacy schools IIANM. Sunderland pharmacy school is ranked at 18 meanwhile Nottingham has never fallen below 10 (no. 5 this year). It was once the no.1 but was overtaken or competing for top 5 places with other few pharmacy schools.

The difference between no.5 and no.18 is huge. Both does provides pharmacy graduates, but the quality of the graduates does differ, though it depends on many other factors as well.

In UK generally, the industry does perceive Notts grads as being more recognisable as practising pharmacist compare to Sunderland. Sunderland does gives pharmacy graduates but Notts gives quality pharmacy graduates. That's the difference.
+Quote Post
cmyzhu
post Aug 14 2011, 03:15 PM

Getting Started

Hello, so are there actually any difference studying Mpharm and Bpharm?

Up until now does UK allow foreigners to work there after we graduate?

Is Segi accredited yet?

Please reply me as soon as possible, thanks in advance. =)
+Quote Post
Jjdesu
post Aug 14 2011, 09:17 PM

Casual

QUOTE(cmyzhu @ Aug 14 2011, 03:15 PM)

Is Segi accredited yet?

Don't have to worry about accreditation..forumers will just tell u this-every course in malaysia will be accredited once 1st batch students graduate...About difference between mpharm or bpharm...Search through google to find out..or u can look for youngkies in this forum..Oh anyways if u want to enroll segi..might be too late as their seats are completely filled up already..not too sure about that..the counsellor told me this..U can try..taylor's I think still available..I successfully passed their interview session last week and haven't get their offer letter yet..well they sent me an email requesting me to pay 1st semester in order to get the offer letter and reserve a place..business trick haih
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Aug 14 2011, 09:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!

as usual, the answer is whether you can get a job offer to qualify for tier 2 visa.........and that will depend on many factors, not least of which, the economic condition 4 years from now.......
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jjdesu
post Aug 14 2011, 10:28 PM

Casual

QUOTE(limeuu @ Aug 14 2011, 09:57 PM)
as usual, the answer is whether you can get a job offer to qualify for tier 2 visa.........and that will depend on many factors, not least of which, the economic condition 4 years from now.......
so ur a doctor graduated from uk?

+Quote Post
saiyukidream
post Aug 29 2011, 03:22 PM

Group: New Member

Is Segi accredited yet?

Yup, its fully accredited by the GPhC now. For more information, you can pm me coz i am currently doing the pharm course thr.
+Quote Post
Y_vonne
post Mar 23 2014, 02:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(saiyukidream @ Aug 29 2011, 03:22 PM)
Yup, its fully accredited by the GPhC now. For more information, you can pm me coz i am currently doing the pharm course thr.
Whats GPhC ?
+Quote Post
iamonlyhuman
post Mar 23 2014, 08:44 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Y_vonne @ Mar 23 2014, 02:17 AM)
Whats GPhC ?
General Pharmaceutical Council.
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Mar 23 2014, 01:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Is Segi accredited yet?

QUOTE(saiyukidream @ Aug 29 2011, 03:22 PM)
this only applies to their 2+2 mpharm programme with the university of sunderland in uk.....this arrangement appears to be no more in place, and they offer their own local bpharm now.....which will NOT be recognised in uk....

potential applicants please note....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0820sec    2.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 09:41 PM