Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Clean up Your PS3, clean up the dust

views

SSJBen
post Apr 13 2008, 12:09 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

This method ONLY works for 40GB PS3(read ONLY 40GB PS3s).

Tried it and it works, no problems.
SSJBen
post Apr 14 2008, 01:20 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(unknowns @ Apr 13 2008, 06:02 PM)
wow so many try this method ar. not takut will rosak the PS3 then? guess theres no harm since most have done it.
You're just running the fans at full speed. What sort of harm will come from that?
SSJBen
post Sep 11 2008, 12:44 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

I think I need to clarify something here about this "fan-test" issue killing PS3s.

First and foremost; NO! Doing this fan-test DOES NOT kill your PS3's CPU/GPU.

Theory-wise, the fan in the 40GB PS3 SKUs(CECHGxx models and up) has a fail-switch which will enable to run the fan in maximum speed-4200RPM@12v to clear up the bottlenecked heat under the HSF covering the Cell and RSX.

The latest revision of PS3 SKU which is CECHHxx(this isn't counting the MGS4 80GB Bundle) still has this fail-switch with a lower fan speed of 3600RPM. Running the fan at full-speed does not consume enough power to either warp, burn or damage the Cell and RSK. Because ironically, the fan is non-other than a modified 175mm PC-case fan from Yate-Loon, Nidec, Delta and a few others that I forgot.

I do not however suggest and advise that anyone should do this fan-test regularly. Because this is essentially "over-volting" the fan's motor to bring it up beyond its specified safe limit voltage(most 175mm fans are rated at 5v).

So basically whats the reason for this "fan-test" Sony included anyways? If its "so dangerous" as deemed by that French site or any other resource(Sony NEVER did say its dangerous, it was made up by that french site). Its basically to test a dead-fan that could be causing a problem with PS3s getting YLODs when sent back to the repair centres. And yes, a dead-fan is one of those YLOD reasons on the PS3 which is thankfully not wide spread.

Second and lastly: This "fan-test" DOES NOT clean your PS3's internals much, if at all.

Like I said this "fan-test" is a troubleshooting option. Not a cleaning mechanism that the Youtube video has shown.

If you truelly want to clean your PS3's internals, the only essential way is to open it up and clean it with a can of compressed-air or a low-powered non-static vacumm cleaner. One of the less hassling ways is to pop out your PS3's HDD and take a vacumm and suck out as much dust as you can from there, although this method is always not as good as opening up and cleaning everything. It doesn't however void your warranty.

I hope this clears up any confusion between the "fan-test" killing your PS3 and it cleaning your PS3 internals.
With that said, I once again suggest and strongly advise that anyone should not do this fan-test regularly or if at all in any means nessasary. You do not want a dead fan.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:43 PM