Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [NOTICE] scammer on the loose, ..........

goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 01:36 PM, updated 15y ago

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

Hi there,

UPDATES :
- My MSN Account is should be disabled now. *Microsoft! I'm waiting for you!*
- My LYN account is not affected, so chill guys and gals. It's still me

I'm sure those of you who have me on MSN might have already received odd requests - DO NOT ENTERTAIN THEM!

As seen in the notice , my MSN (Windows Live Messenger la) uses my really really really old, unused and unmaintained E-mail address - briancyc@hotmail.com was compromised.

Never thought that anyone would take the trouble to breach it. yes, it's breached but that's not the point of this thread.

the conman
Claims that
a) i need money (which I'm NOT in any need) *applies to those who are already on my MSN contact*
b) i sell PayPal funds (which I am not either) *applies to those who are trading but does not know me or spoken to me before via MSN*

And so far he's using the following accounts
- WONG SOO WEI - 1141 7883 6111
http://www.tp-racing.com/order.htm

- FOO YONG YOKE - 1121 1141 3238 (which so happened to be used in this trade dispute

- FOO JET SIONG - 1123 9902 8506
http://www.google.com.my/search?client=fir...G=Google+Search
http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/archive/i...php/t-3858.html
http://carigold.com/portal/modules.php?nam...7&op=nextnewest
http://www.carigold.com/portal/forums/show...?t=21329&page=3

modus operandi
- this conman is an active LYN participant, and seems to know the Trade Zone well.
- he manipulates reputation, trust and various "psychological" tricks to get the deal, or what he wants.

For traders at LYN forum
1. approach people by finding those who are
a). wanting to buy items
b). leaves an MSN contact, that's his only approach. and possibly handphone number.

2. identifies himself as "goldfries" (yes, ME) and does everything via MSN.

3. gets the buyer to BANK IN to whatever X account. from my observation of past cases, this one is same - just that he uses trust and reputation.

4. Now after the transaction is done, what i suspect is that he would inform the recipient that HE has banked in the $$$ and he'll get his goods. so we end up with
a). a person will less $$$
b). a person who manage to sell his stuff
c). a person who's just a scapegoat but has nothing to do with the matter altogether
d). a person that got away with the goods

For those are are not trading but already know me from and on my MSN contact list
1. he will claim that I need money
2. then he'll probably say I couldn't access maybank2u so pump the $$$ to someone else' account.

how to verify it is "goldfries"
1. My surname is CHONG
2. My handphone number starts with 013 and ends with 97
3. I will always be on LYN and WILL be able to verify via LYN. (don't worry, account not compromised here. we have control of these accounts. smile.gif )
4. Use the contact form at http://www.goldfries.com if you need, that one guarantee to reach me and not some scammer replying you. (and I have full control of it too)

---------

OTHER THREAD FOR REFERENCE.

Evading Imposters, a quick guide

This post has been edited by goldfries: Mar 24 2008, 06:41 PM
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 01:44 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

that's him la but it's restored. no issues. smile.gif
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 02:45 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

LOL. so un-ME. smile.gif

those who know me sure can detect wan la. find your usual topic with me is enough.

another way to verify - ASK QUESTIONS! smile.gif
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 02:52 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

wah i didn't know i got trademark already.

anyway just practise some wisdom la but the thing is normally people think MSN straight is confirm the person cos no one else is using the account sad.gif that's the problem.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Mar 24 2008, 02:53 PM
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 03:09 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

eh guys. thanks for the entertainment but it's not a discussion about punishment method or after-work activities la. smile.gif
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 03:55 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

wow. gee, thanks guys! never realize you guys noted my patterns, which is something no one can imitate.
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 04:15 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

QUOTE(Nimzai @ Mar 24 2008, 04:09 PM)
I'm not trying to offend anyone here.. but what you guyz saying here is providing more information for THE scammer to be a better scammer.
That's what i feel la.. haha
i did thought of that but i think it's fine la, cos when people highlight here - readers will take more care and understand his failings.

it's all about understanding criminal minds.

he'll probably be reading this too. he'll probably try to imitate. LOL. if he manage to do so, then kudos to him.

it's now down to whether the approached people practise wisdom.

good luck trying.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Mar 24 2008, 04:15 PM
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 05:20 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

ahh the fella NBTD la but for the first time i see him post constructively in Kopitiam.

such people who take joy in people's displeasure are asses, don't you think so?
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 06:29 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

updated! now he uses another account. smile.gif 3 in total as of this post.

all with 'oo' on the name.
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 06:50 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

donno la. i'm inclined to believe it's MSN side got way to get la. cos i don't use my WLM on any other machines except mine, which i don't download / install / browse like mad person.

anyway now is just to curb the damage or possible damage. smile.gif btw i've added more resources on 1st post for viewing.
goldfries
post Mar 24 2008, 06:53 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

no la, the scammer got good taste.

my nick is GOLD and the other is WANG. doesn't it all make sense? smile.gif
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 01:20 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

let's just say not small sum but mostly will be returned..........

Added on March 25, 2008, 1:27 amanyway the hacker returned my account to me not long ago.

for more details - stay tuned, I'll need a bit of time to write.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Mar 25 2008, 01:27 AM
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 09:46 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

guys. I've spoken to the hacker (yes, he insisted to have a chat with me).

i can tell you this
1. he didn't GUESS
2. he didn't have physical access

all he did was use MSN's password retrieval process. I've discussed this with some people before. he was just lucky that my hotmail account was an abandoned one (you know, hotmail is like dormant if you don't login for a while) and I've not put much emphasis on any security setting even though my password could said to be impossible to guess and would take a really long time if you wish to try it one by one.

QUOTE(blessedvillain @ Mar 25 2008, 03:43 AM)
can clarify a few things first... i damn worry now bout MSN security

1. the scammer got hold of Goldfries MSN account? (if yes, he must have physical access to Goldfries pc? yes?)

2. the scammer got hold of more MSN ID? now 3 from what I've read. (how the hell he managed to do that??)
not 3 MSN ID la. he uses that 3 bank accounts only. my MSN account, he didn't get physical access. he didn't keylog. he didn't brute attack.

and yes, the hacker admitted about the flaw in MSN system. that's all he could tell me.
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 10:27 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

QUOTE(blessedvillain @ Mar 25 2008, 10:04 AM)
this is interesting... you guys talk?!!!!  rclxub.gif

what did you guys actually talk about? If I were u, i sure loose my cool and tell him what an arse he is.  vmad.gif
IF he hack into your account and just trying to be funning and NOT CON ppl on money, I MIGHT let him go..... BUT he uses Goldfries account for unholy intention!!! this is just pure EVIL!!! NO FORGIVENESS from me... vmad.gif
he insisted. smile.gif

he was telling me want to teach me lesson. well my hotmail account i didn't pay much attention to it in the first place. smile.gif not something critical.

so erm. of course i told him la, you want to teach me lesson - can, i don't mind. but don't la until have to trouble others. smile.gif just leave a msg after hacking enough already la.

QUOTE(asiahost @ Mar 25 2008, 10:10 AM)
he can't even fit to be called a hacker in the first place.
well the definition of hack is also that one that broke in to a place he's not suppose to have control of.

A person who breaks into, or attempts to break into, or use, a computer network or system without authorization, often at random, for personal gains

QUOTE(blessedvillain @ Mar 25 2008, 10:13 AM)
oh ya... i forgot to ask..

Goldfries, what kind of action are you going to take against him?
smile.gif what action could be taken on him from my side?

i've already done my part (lecture him. tongue.gif) and that's all i can do.

i'm not angered. i'm just disgusted. that's all.

i wish people with such skill / knowledge could use it to help people, not do damage.

while I'm not the one taking action, people who were scammed surely would want something to be done. that's between them, the police and the bank.
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 01:44 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

QUOTE(Reuben @ Mar 25 2008, 11:34 AM)
Hey Goldfries,

I assume you know how the MSN vulnerability works and although I am curious as to how it works I rather would like to know how to prevent it from happening to the rest of us.

You mentioned that your password was secure...as is mine...but I'm still a bit sick to think that my MSN can be hacked at any time.

Since you are in the know, appreciate if you could impart some tips to prevent this from happening to us.
the thing was this.

HOTMAIL tends to get "disabled" after a while of not using it.

i have no idea why it's like that, since i'm using that same HOTMAIL id for my WLM.

while passwords and such are not something so easy to figure out, i suspect the reason of the fella able to get through was because i didn't implement any other forms of security on that account, i didn't either because the email account wasn't something important to me. i just use it for my WLM and it doesn't affect my life even if it got disabled. smile.gif

12 months back, that same account doesn't have the profile like what it has today. smile.gif just never thought anyone would want to attempt a breach and abuse it.

so what you can do? implement whatever security you can on your MSN account. but according to the hacker, he claims he should be able to hack. that one i donno already la.
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 01:57 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

people use my account and ask other people for money. smile.gif
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 02:07 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

hack in the sense gain unrightful entry la. smile.gif in this case, hacking via "legal" means is better said as exploitation.

as to the enforce logout thing, it's to ensure better safety for all forummers.
goldfries
post Mar 25 2008, 02:25 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

said is hobby wor. smile.gif oh well. more important lesson is towards traders.

for me, if it was getting people info / trade via LYN then i will use LYN as my first contact.
goldfries
post Mar 27 2008, 09:47 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

QUOTE(markchan @ Mar 25 2008, 11:33 PM)
hmm this thread can consider useless since gold fries told every one about the "good side" of the hackers

so rest in peace and close la this thread.

i dont see the point having this thread anymore since gold mentioned everything ok already
what "good side" ah? smile.gif

a hacker is a hacker. hacker is NOT a good thing to do.

i'm letting this thread run for now, since it can continue to serve as a reminder / highlight.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0213sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 15th August 2022 - 05:31 AM