Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Vinyls and Vinyls, The revival of 33 1/3 and 45

views

hasnul
post Mar 31 2008, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Guys, I saw this at http://blog.audiophileusa.com/ :-

Not to be outdone by competing series of classic Blue Note reissues, Metallica is jumping into the audiophile waters with 45RPM pressings of the band's first two albums - Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning. These deluxe sets, due on April 15th, feature two 180gm 45RPM vinyl discs pressed at RTI and half-speed mastered by Stan Ricker from the original analog tapes at Mobile Fidelity.

45 RPM !! Pwhoarrr!!! shocking.gif Now, I do have the 33rpm 180g audiophile pressing Metallica Black album lp limited edition series. But 45's......Let's get the ball rolling, bebeh !! notworthy.gif
hasnul
post Mar 31 2008, 11:20 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Mar 31 2008, 10:52 PM)
Thank god I do not listen to Metallica!  thumbup.gif
Heheh...I think it gonna cost a lot more than the 33 rpm version. Luckily, Ride The Lightning album are easily obtainable at Amcorp !!

QUOTE(grandspy @ Mar 31 2008, 11:02 PM)
So what are you waiting for? pre-order 'em here quick! > http://www.elusivedisc.com  brows.gif  brows.gif

Jazzy939, try it. It will transform you. Louder! Faster! Heavier!!  laugh.gif
Heheh...nice try la kawan !! tongue.gif I would rather buy the 33rpm normal version at Amcorp. The only Metallica album that a must have for me is the Black album. Other than that, I can live without them. But honestly, you guys should try it and try play as loud as possible in your homes..... biggrin.gif I'm sure your darling will wallop you with her own HEAVY METAL from the kitchen !!! HAHAHAHA !! rclxm9.gif
hasnul
post Apr 1 2008, 09:37 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Apr 1 2008, 12:01 AM)
It may or it may NOT. Worst still, it may sounded worst that original issue... thats the risk.
Well, worst sounding is one thing. Re-editing is much worst such as Michael Jackson's Thriller album. Re-issues such the latest 25th Anniversary version and some earlier version was censored on some tracks......and unfortunately one of them was BEAT IT !! Those who got the chance to listen to the originals Thriller knows what I'm talking about !!

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 1 2008, 08:59 PM)
We shall SAY NO TO RE-ISSUES from now on.

but is there any such case whereby a re-issue sounds better than the original version?
Well then, Miles Davis Kind Of Blue was supposed to be better on the 200gram audiophile pressing due to they manage to play the analog master tape at the correct speed. Unlike the much earlier vintage version which the analog master tape was played faster than it should thus resulted higher pitching on most tracks......
hasnul
post Apr 3 2008, 08:43 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Apr 3 2008, 12:38 AM)
Haven't tested yet, but guessing the CD will sound more digital.
Price = A plate of Nasi Beryani?  drool.gif
So, how's the music ?? Ada ngam ??

Ah !! Well, guess i'll be going to Amcorp Mall again this Sunday. thumbup.gif
hasnul
post Apr 6 2008, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Jutst got back home with only 2 records. Beatles Abby Road & Deep Purple's Deepest Purple album
hasnul
post Apr 6 2008, 09:43 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

hasnul, which stall were you at? I was browsing the one under the escalator most of the time.....

I was upstairs but before I went back home I stop by at JoeMacs to buy their sleeves which was a disappointment. Those plastic sleeves can't fit in a open-gate record sleeve.

hasnul: you're buying records even before you have a TT.. so it looks like you're surely poisoned by VINYL and getting a TT very soon!. You should try to find Deep Purple Machine Head!.. BEST album of all!

Ah yeahh!! Now I have about 50 records at home and it's breaking my bank !! And it's all of you guys fault for racun me !! nod.gif . You're right, I will soon get a t/t. Big chance it might be Rega's P3-24 or P5. If I were to spend money for P5, that means no Linn Sondek in the future for me.

Me now busy WASHING...Errrrr!.. NOT dishes!..RECORDS!

what dish washer/chemical/solvent you used and what brush ?
hasnul
post Jun 27 2008, 09:12 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Guys, any chance one of you have Isao Suzuki Blow Up album from Three Blind Mice Records ?
hasnul
post Jun 27 2008, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

I have Misty, Midnite sugar, Girl Talk, Blue City, Scandinavian Suite, Greensleeve, Blues For Tee and soon Orpheus lp's. All are original pressings from TBM Toshiba Japan while Misty and Midnite Sugar from Cisco US. Cost me a bomb for them but worth every penny. Just wondering if I should look for Blow Up if I can have a demo of it.
hasnul
post Jun 27 2008, 10:49 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(Machai @ Jun 27 2008, 10:32 PM)
Wau! You are indeed TBM records lover, great taste thumbup.gif 
If you already have the Misty & Midnite Sugar from Cisco, you would know the kind of difference from the original pressing.  Just stretch a little bit, get the Blow-up.

If I may recommend, check out the Mari Nakamoto III (with Georgia on my mind as 1st track) to complete your collection.
Ahh !! Mari Nakamoto III.....one of the must have but also cost a bomb !! TBM records are not for everyone though I really love it. It spins extremely wonderful on my Linn t/t.
hasnul
post Jun 28 2008, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
235 posts

Hasnul, you finally got your Linn? Cool!

Yup, manage to get one with Linn Ittok LVII tonearm with Hercules 33/45rpm psu. Currently using Denon DL-103R MC cartridge with Creek OBH-15 phono stage. Say, you finally got your Graham Slee ?
hasnul
post Jun 29 2008, 12:56 AM

Getting Started
235 posts

Serious stuff you got there Hasnul. Care for a little review?

Yes Hasnul, give us a 'little' review! C'mon....! thumbup.gif

I honestly don't have any other t/t or phonostage for comparison. It was my first t/t anyway. At any rate, though really unfair, my lp setup absolutely blows away my cdp. But that was already expected !! Even my XRCD and Cisco cd's are no match compared to high quality vinyl pressings.

Yeah... finally got my GSP.

Wow !! kena tax or not ? I am still looking for EAR 834P phonostage.

This post has been edited by hasnul: Jun 29 2008, 12:58 AM
hasnul
post Jun 29 2008, 12:24 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Cost me 5.5k for the t/t, cart & phonostage. All source locally. So which t/t you used ?
hasnul
post Jul 2 2008, 01:13 AM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(sleme @ Jun 29 2008, 11:28 PM)
Hi...Nice set up there. Love the Ittok..real macho arm. Never could find one within my budget. Lived with the lower Akito for a long time. Had experience with the Creek, as good as it is, I think your brilliant LP12 set up will benefit from more revealing phonostage.
(racun) brows.gif
An Ittok LVII cost a bomb on Ebay. Price easily cross over 250 pounds in the UK !! Akito is the next best thing though. Better than Basik !! smile.gif

Added on July 2, 2008, 1:19 am
QUOTE(grandspy @ Jun 30 2008, 12:08 AM)
All for 5.5K only? That was a real bargain!!
I'm still using my Rega.. Upgraded from Planar3 to P3 now.. hahaha. Still can't afford the Orbe.
Time to get the EAR  tongue.gif
You can say its kinda bargain. But my Linn LP12 doesn't come with the ori lid nor the rubber feet/bottom panel. The EAR 834P is what I am aiming for, though I don't know how will it sound like with my setup. I can't seem to find a used ones.

This post has been edited by hasnul: Jul 2 2008, 01:19 AM
hasnul
post Jul 2 2008, 09:19 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Jul 2 2008, 09:04 PM)
Geez!..you all importing nice LP's. Me?.. nothing to show again. Saving $$ for KLAV show. I'm looking at bringing back a new 32" LCD TV...no need all the razzmatazz HDTV and whizz bang features..its to replace my kaput TV.
Man !! A 32" LCD !! I bet that is only the pembuka selera.......the main course must be much more than that.......!! laugh.gif
hasnul
post Jul 2 2008, 10:26 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Jul 2 2008, 10:09 PM)
To orbe or not to orbe, that is the question! tongue.gif
Buy now lah........later buy then price naik even more !!! laugh.gif (racun) So, rather then having many sleepless nights. Better close your eyes, take a deep breath and buy the damn orb !! brows.gif I too sometime want to try other t/t. ....... hmm.gif
hasnul
post Jul 31 2008, 08:10 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Then how about those Japan pressing in the 1980's ? You guys can find a lot in ebay. Besides being superior in terms of noise control. I'm not sure how they hold against original US pressing.
hasnul
post Jul 31 2008, 10:30 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Jul 31 2008, 09:09 PM)
I realize Japanese LP's are more consistent and audibly superior in its sonic quality compared to EU or USA which are debatable. and subjective. Based on some Jap pressings I own (even a country album), I've hardly any complaints. Price?..popular albums will be expensive to own. What else is cheap from Japan nowadays.
It seems you and Simon from Music By Design said the same thing regarding it's sonic quality. I do manage to find them still super quite despite the old age from the 80's. I got 2 lp's reissued by Original Jazz Classic (OJC) USA, I found their paper jacket are thinner and the vinyl cut are not as smooth as the Japs. Sound wise the OJC's are not as good too. Funny as OJC was under the big name company called Fantasy !! Yet their quality visually and sonically are inferior to the 80's Jap pressings.
hasnul
post Aug 5 2008, 10:31 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

I have been wondering for a while....since there are a couple of shops selling expensive lp cleaning machine. Why don't they offer lp cleaning service ?? I mean, I don't mind paying RM700.00 but at near RM2000.00 each machine !!?? I can buy another t/t with that kind of money !!

This post has been edited by hasnul: Aug 5 2008, 10:32 PM
hasnul
post Aug 6 2008, 11:38 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(The Sifu @ Aug 6 2008, 07:09 AM)
Hi Hasnul

Audio Image in SS 2 has been offering this service for years. They also sell replacement paper inner sleeves for you if you wish. So that should solve your cleaning problems.  smile.gif

As to your question why some don't offer the cleaning service..... well it could simply be that they just don't want to do this kind of work. Cleaning a few of your own records for a while might be fun, but if you had to do say 50 pieces every single day standing over a machine that was noisy.... it's not fun at all.

Also... as March5 alludes to, some people here are real assholles. Why clean an LP for a few ringgits when you get endless grief by these unreasonable pricks complaining about a record that was already noisy to begin with...

You have to put yourself in their shoes.....
Audio Image ehh ? Well SS2 is quite far from my place. Anyway there is a cheaper alternative but as good : http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm
hasnul
post Aug 7 2008, 09:09 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Sorry the information wasn't more useful to you. I didnt realise it needed to be a cleaning service located in your neighbourhood.

Ahh !! No, it was actually very usefull. I live in Pantai Dalam, KL. It's just I am one of the people 'who spends a lot in their hobbies and spend less on everything else' type. Which means I don't have my own transportation. I rely on public transports and SS2 dont' have any LRT route imho. So, going by taxi is going to cost me a lot. Besides, will it be easy to find a cab there to get me back home ? I may have to lug around 6 lp per trip.....

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0576sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:28 PM