22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Vinyls and Vinyls, The revival of 33 1/3 and 45

views

bsl555
post Mar 22 2008, 10:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

Wow!..you all great lah!.. me lazy to bring out bulky old camera (perhaps this cam should qualify to go "old school" thingys) and take pictures one by one.. BUT..I'll do it when time permits.

Hey, I got that same Leo Sayer vinyl..still mint.. and also the actual CD re-issue!.. superb album!..congrats on your wise choice!.
bsl555
post Mar 31 2008, 09:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(gsdev @ Mar 31 2008, 09:40 AM)
Wah your CD's also you bungkus in plastic  tongue.gifhmm.gif good idea...
This one got the EU CD and its very good, wonder how the Vinyl will be...Great Choice  smile.gif
Aha!..All my CD's are "condom-ed!" It protects the cd from our high humidity and fungus.
Dire Straits CD's or vinyl from EU or UK are every bit as good to buy or acquire. However, the Dire Straits Brothers in arms SACD was somehow NOT well mastered. They increased the volume (compression?) than its previous re-issues. blink.gif
bsl555
post Apr 1 2008, 12:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

I've yet to really consider buying LP re-issues. I'm skeptical about them. If its re-issue album, I'd rather opt for SACD instead...BUT I don't have SACD player yet.
I'm waiting for someone to lend me a Eric Clapton Slowhand re-issue Lp and compare to the Limited Edition one I bought in UK.

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Mar 31 2008, 11:09 PM)
Eh? Who has the Slowhand re-issue? This is worth another TT session! biggrin.gif
Oii!.. Rm180 new record woh!.. Tong Lee at Low Yat Plaza got stock there!.
Cheh!.. I play RM1 to 20 buck records only lah.. cheap skate am I?

Louder! Faster! Heavier!! ..sound like having sex! hahaahaaha!

That one flying from the kitchen ain't piring hitam.. STEEL PAN more like it! cool2.gif

There's a twist to re-issues. In those days, as soon as the recordings were done, the master tapes being fresh, sound quality would be optimum. Now!. its 20 years or more since the recording and only God knows how those tapes were stored and little to tell if deterioration had set in and how much restoration by digital means for a new LP issue.
So, its not definitive to say that its going to be the same sonic quality as the original pressings. Do remember most master tapes in those days are purely analog tapes. I've heard of many stories of master tapes lost to oblivion, never to be found, but found in some ex-engineer's garage..and so on.
bsl555
post Apr 2 2008, 09:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

There's 2 CD albums I have which I'd like to sit down and compare one of these fine days, BUT I only have the vinyl of one album.
That is, Simon & Garfunkel Bridge over trouble waters. I have the CBS Mastersound gold CD of this and its supposed to the very best CD re-issue. The other album is Carole King Tapestry album, also on CBS Mastersound, but sadly I've yet to acquire the original vinyl. This one, I may not bother buying the vinyl. I found the CD entirely satisfying. The US pressed CD reissue of the same title comes close to the Mastersound..very close.
I know I may have some vinyl albums that beat the CD re-issue hands down. One clear example is Carly Simon No Secrets, which the CD re-issue is absolutely CRAP!. Frankly I don't know what WEA label are doing..its so inferior!
Other LP's I have in both formats are Elton John Greatest Hits (on DCC label), Eagles Greatest Hits, Bee Gees Spirits Having Flown, some Ray Conniff, Mantovani Strauss Waltzes, Dave Brubeck Greatest hits, Olivia Newton John (various albums), The Carpenters (aka tukang kayu??) and many more. smile.gif

I found this gem today..NOPE!..NOT the record!..but the CD..DOUBLE DISK..price?..you wouldn't believe it!.

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 3 2008, 12:33 AM)
Smashing!! How much?
So which one sounds better? the vinyl or the CD?
Haven't tested yet, but guessing the CD will sound more digital.
Price = A plate of Nasi Beryani? drool.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 2 2008, 09:09 AM
bsl555
post Apr 4 2008, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(hasnul @ Apr 3 2008, 08:43 PM)
So, how's the music ?? Ada ngam ??
Listened to it though my laptop only lah.. haven't switched on the hifi for days..no time this week.

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 11:42 AM)
Looks like we can have the LYN TTU-SIG tt sessions at Amcorp Mall on a regular basis.� � rclxms.gifrclxms.gifrclxms.gif
How many going this Sunday?
Legend: TTU = Turntable Users
� � � � � �  tt = teh tarik

Wah!..now its Amcorp Mall gathering.. If it happens, it'll improve "MY weekend PICNIC resort!". Meanwhile, I've always hung around with so many regular kaki there everytime. You fellows carry on if I'm pre-occupied with other friends, but I may join you all for some moments.
That Amcorp Mall place is quite a NOISY place (especially LG floor area) you know?. But thats where the bargains are.

March05, you're really sneaking in despite your seemingly tight schedules juggling between quality time and family ya?. smile.gif

You might want to find your Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music soundtrack LP?.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 4 2008, 12:08 PM
bsl555
post Apr 4 2008, 02:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:23 PM)
Mary Poppins...must get it, after finally listening to supercalifragilisticexpialidocious at your place! It's been at least 20 years since I last heard it. Sound of Music, no need lah, one old well worn copy cukup.... biggrin.gif
heheh..I didn't tell you I have the original CD re-issue of the MP soundtrack..got it from Canada some years back!.. very well remastered. I also have Sound of music 30th ANI double disc issue which contains a 2nd disc of unreleased sountrack music.
bsl555
post Apr 4 2008, 07:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 07:18 PM)
Now I've got approx. 41 hours to figure out how to sneak out of the house......
Wow!..I must consult you sometime or other how to plan great strategies. You must be an expert if I see you around this Sunday!. rclxms.gif

Lets say its now "hot property" and an acquired taste.
CD Digital sound has been reduced with heavy compression and can likely be treated as coffee cup coasters.
Unfortunately, enthusiasts have not much choice but to acquire "used records" most of the time, many are ressurected from the dumps.
bsl555
post Apr 6 2008, 08:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(hasnul @ Apr 6 2008, 04:59 PM)
Jutst got back home with only 2 records. Beatles Abby Road & Deep Purple's Deepest Purple album
Heheh..I picked up 11 records.. AND one CD. Just about kicking my own backside by eating my own words of not wanting to buy anything. Just too good to resist!. I know next week gonna pickup another expensive item.

Me now busy WASHING...Errrrr!.. NOT dishes!..RECORDS!. Have to go out get some dinner. Heck!..even FORGOT DINNER!..Yeeeeesh!..
BTW, 9 of those records are "cheap but MINT" records. The other 2 are GEMS!.. brows.gif

hasnul: you're buying records even before you have a TT.. so it looks like you're surely poisoned by VINYL and getting a TT very soon!. You should try to find Deep Purple Machine Head!.. BEST album of all!. (I got the SACD!..pity cannot playback the multi-channel tracks and this beats any previous CD re-issue)
bsl555
post Apr 7 2008, 10:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 7 2008, 10:08 AM)
Don't forget to bring back some can-can music.� brows.gif
Don't bring back music..Put some can-can girls in the pocket and bring back!..thats more like it!.. brows.gif brows.gif

This is one GEM I found yesterday. Now playing!.. lively Baroque music!.. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 7 2008, 11:40 AM
bsl555
post Apr 10 2008, 11:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

Wow grandspy, you're certainly going to own us all and with great stuff!. I'm envying you lah!>
bsl555
post Apr 13 2008, 11:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 13 2008, 11:24 AM)
So who's going today?
You wanna sneak out again?.. icon_idea.gif
I think I'm going to pickup a few more gems..already reserved some that was seen last week. rclxm9.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 13 2008, 11:31 AM
bsl555
post Apr 14 2008, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

Heh!..what did I do yesterday at Amcorp?.....picked up another 6 records..2 gems out of 6 this time round..

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 14 2008, 06:57 PM)
Yay!!! A TurnTable session!! Count me in!
Haha..a Turntable session where..coffeeshop?..mamak?..restaurant?..certainly no-one going to bring any equipment..perhaps the only turntable likely seen will be the "lazy susan"?..

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Apr 15 2008, 05:20 PM)
bsl,

TT Session for TT enthusiasts at AMCORP MALL this sunday ler..
Just bring yourself and your wallet. We borong all the LPS there..  thumbup.gif
Aiyoh!..as if you don't know majority of records there are either too expensive or plain junk!..gems are few...but who knows?.. anything nice can crop up. brows.gif

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 20 2008, 01:57 AM)
The TT session... is it on? where's everybody anyway?  unsure.gif
bsl, if you could come tomorrow, I could pass you your stuff.. let me know ya..
Sure I'll be there at Amcorp..regardless session or not.. contact me if you happen to be there. icon_rolleyes.gif
bsl555
post Apr 20 2008, 09:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(LeeRun @ Apr 20 2008, 03:20 PM)
Hi,

Found this thread while browsing some IT gadgets. Didn't expect to find people talking vinyl in this forum full of hi-tech stuff, glad to know vinyl is still alive here.
Niche hobby here whilst most others here are more interested with digital, head-fi and IT related. Marraige of convenience. Most here are old cocks.. smile.gif
bsl555
post Apr 21 2008, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE('62jaguar @ Apr 21 2008, 07:48 AM)
getting to that age... tongue.gif
well i think vinyls and turntable are something that we shouldn't let it die... IMHO smile.gif
I could say it'll last for this generation only, and fade away again. Even the CD is already dying!. Enjoy it while it lasts. blush.gif

Anyway, NO session yesterday...other than me and grandspy..no one else came. Amcorp was not entirely busy place..middle of month blues??. Anyway, left early at 5pm.. We agreed if stay there longer, the wallet will be really thinned down.
I picked up another 3 records last minute.. Chinese records actually..(that label is unofficially one of the best HK recording labels and scarce, IMHO.)

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 21 2008, 12:10 PM
bsl555
post Apr 21 2008, 12:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 21 2008, 12:13 PM)
Eh?? Who did you call old cocks??  mad.gif
I'm 2 generations younger that most of us here.. haha  biggrin.gif
And I'm gonna make sure that all my children, nieces and nephews know what a turntable is and force them to buy one when they reach 21  nod.gif
Heheh!.. We're a lot older than those 20year olds lah..especially those forumers still studying lah. Got wifey, got kids, them surely got them silently calling you "my old man or gua mia olang tua!"... hahhahaha!. Isn't that true?. brows.gif

I'm trying my very best to curb buying anymore records for some months but devils exist in us all.. HOW to resist lah?.. discipline?? its worse than oogling at good stunning women?. shakehead.gif

bsl555
post Apr 22 2008, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 22 2008, 11:05 AM)
No theraphy in the world could make you stop buying more records. It's a curse!! hahaha...
I remember some one told me before that he aint gonna buy any more records ever.. he's content with what he already has, etc. well, they're all lies!!! hahaha...
I admit I lie to myself at times.. I'm only human lah!. doh.gif
Ok..gotta go out buy some spare parts to repair an old Thorens TD-125 TT (real mother of Linn LP12).

QUOTE('62jaguar @ Apr 22 2008, 02:26 PM)
some things you can't do with a download
1. put the album cover on the wall and show off to your friends
2. make it as a 'periuk' mat
3. a subsitutte for a frisbee
4. buy it damn cheap at a flea market

biggrin.gif  tongue.gif
Oi!..don't say "damn cheap" lah!. Dealers reading this thread will JACK-UP the price for no reason!. laugh.gif

5. Melt it down and make a flower vase/pot!.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 22 2008, 12:00 PM
bsl555
post Apr 22 2008, 07:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(LeeRun @ Apr 22 2008, 01:18 PM)
I usually give this analogy for those who teases me on my vinyl hobby. To me vinyl and CD is something like brewed coffee and instant coffee.
Allow me to offer a better comparison, great wine and packet drink!. brows.gif

But in the real sense, the best music are likely found on records, which is somewhat rare in digital format. Youngsters rarely appreciate music of the past, or have knowledge about it, until they discover it for themselves by introduction or otherwise. Its only natural they go for current or perhaps latest. Digital is outright convenient.

QUOTE('62jaguar @ Apr 22 2008, 06:55 PM)
dealers jack up EVERYTHING..hahahha  laugh.gif
talking about JACK-UP price...  shocking.gif
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Pooooh! Crazy lah!.. anyway I'm not a Pink Floyd fan..never understood their brand of music. doh.gif
bsl555
post Apr 23 2008, 03:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE('62jaguar @ Apr 23 2008, 03:22 PM)
DSoTM has never been my fav PF album...already got 1 1973 UK press of the album..so i'm gonna pass on that..but regret selling away WYWH half speed japan press.. sigh...... sad.gif
If me, I won't even buy it even if its 10 bucks...no point me buying a record I won't enjoy or play once a blue moon..IF that moon ever goes blue?.. blink.gif
bsl555
post May 2 2008, 10:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

I wonder what I'll find today!..

Last Sunday, I came back EMPTY handed. No sigh!..

QUOTE('62jaguar @ May 2 2008, 08:42 AM)
every song have their translation in japanese...� biggrin.gif
Errrr..not really, I've got a handful of Japanese pressed records, one is The Sound of Music, which the back cover is all in Japanese, no translation. Another is Hawaii 5-O TV themes and many tracks are in Japanese...no translation either. Till today, I'm still at a loss of the actual song titles. Can't blame the Japanese. Most of these things are meant for their home market. Imagine a washing machine with all buttons named and marked in Japanese...How ah?.

Whatever the case, JAPANESE records seem to be the BEST sounding discs ever!..period. smile.gif They DO THINGS First time RIGHT, Always RIGHT!. When can we Malaysians ever emulate such culture ah!. sweat.gif

QUOTE('62jaguar @ May 2 2008, 10:37 AM)
the sound of music - bunyi muzik
Pink floyd - floyd merah jambu
Heh!..naughty ah!.
Wait till I dig out some records and start translating. Oh well, spending time on other matters today..going to Low Yat Plaza..may visit Tong Lee hifi shop and see what's new (if anything) there. Actually going to find some PC related stuff..but can't avoid that shop lah. I know they got a stack of new records but I won't buy lah. Those are re-issues and audiophile rated discs...not always my cup of tea. Excellent RM10 to RM20 ones ARE!. RM1.00 ones ARE BEST!.
Don't think I'm always going on the cheap..there's always a justifiable reason. nod.gif

The Alleycats - Kuching dari belakang??.
Elton John - Something About The Way You Look Tonight - Satu macam rupa mu malam ni??.
Robin Hood OST: Prince Of Thieves - Putera Pencuri?
The Bodyguard OST - Penjaga badan?
Roger Waters - Amused To Death - Gelihati hampir mampus?.

This post has been edited by bsl555: May 2 2008, 10:26 AM
bsl555
post May 2 2008, 11:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE('62jaguar @ May 2 2008, 11:21 AM)
wahh..Tong Lee also sells records?though only sell hifi stuff....  biggrin.gif
Yes they have. Its all stock from one particular label importer. I had already mentioned they're all re-issues, new and sealed. Price..can vomit one!. You've better choice and price at S'pore.

Ok..scooting off now.. cya all later!. icon_rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(mysticaldodo @ May 3 2008, 11:59 AM)
I think I am gonna buy my first Teresa LP...just because of that freaking song. I can't get it out of my head� drool.gif
Ah..finally someone here have revealed head over heels over Teresa,,..err for a start.
If you ask me, I don't find her Mandarin rendition of this song as great sounding. The music track seems muffled, veiled and not as exciting as compared to her Japanese rendition. This same song is still best attached to Teresa among all her Japanese hits.
I have the Japanese CD album and it comes with a rare minus 1 track of this song.

Here's an edited sample: (hopefully I got the title right)

[attachmentid=459790]

22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0462sec    0.12    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:24 PM