Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

128 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Vinyls and Vinyls, The revival of 33 1/3 and 45 (Hi-Fi)

views

jazzy939
post Apr 1 2008, 12:01 AM

reel is real
Group: Senior Member

I understand why you do bsl... hmm SACD player.. 'mahal' tongue.gif I don't have any SACD coded CDs anyway..

Eh? Who has the Slowhand re-issue? This is worth another TT session! biggrin.gif

Me included lah bsl! We're NOT cheapskate.. we're 'low cost' just like AirAsia biggrin.gif

May be I should!(Playing LOUD) But NOT Metallica ler... wink.gif It has been awhile since I played loud last. tongue.gif

QUOTE(grandspy @ Mar 31 2008, 11:02 PM)
So what are you waiting for? pre-order 'em here quick! > http://www.elusivedisc.com  brows.gif  brows.gif

Jazzy939, try it. It will transform you. Louder! Faster! Heavier!!  laugh.gif
It may or it may NOT. Worst still, it may sounded worst that original issue... thats the risk.
bsl555
post Apr 1 2008, 12:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!

I've yet to really consider buying LP re-issues. I'm skeptical about them. If its re-issue album, I'd rather opt for SACD instead...BUT I don't have SACD player yet.
I'm waiting for someone to lend me a Eric Clapton Slowhand re-issue Lp and compare to the Limited Edition one I bought in UK.

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Mar 31 2008, 11:09 PM)
Eh? Who has the Slowhand re-issue? This is worth another TT session! biggrin.gif
Oii!.. Rm180 new record woh!.. Tong Lee at Low Yat Plaza got stock there!.
Cheh!.. I play RM1 to 20 buck records only lah.. cheap skate am I?

Louder! Faster! Heavier!! ..sound like having sex! hahaahaaha!

That one flying from the kitchen ain't piring hitam.. STEEL PAN more like it! cool2.gif

There's a twist to re-issues. In those days, as soon as the recordings were done, the master tapes being fresh, sound quality would be optimum. Now!. its 20 years or more since the recording and only God knows how those tapes were stored and little to tell if deterioration had set in and how much restoration by digital means for a new LP issue.
So, its not definitive to say that its going to be the same sonic quality as the original pressings. Do remember most master tapes in those days are purely analog tapes. I've heard of many stories of master tapes lost to oblivion, never to be found, but found in some ex-engineer's garage..and so on.
TSgrandspy
post Apr 1 2008, 08:59 PM

The Mothership is here!

We shall SAY NO TO RE-ISSUES from now on.

but is there any such case whereby a re-issue sounds better than the original version?

Smashing!! How much?
So which one sounds better? the vinyl or the CD?

I'm sure it will sound 'terangkat' like a Beryani gum, very ngam laugh.gif

You guys have fun this weekend ya... too bad I can't join you cry.gif
hasnul
post Apr 1 2008, 09:37 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Apr 1 2008, 12:01 AM)
It may or it may NOT. Worst still, it may sounded worst that original issue... thats the risk.
Well, worst sounding is one thing. Re-editing is much worst such as Michael Jackson's Thriller album. Re-issues such the latest 25th Anniversary version and some earlier version was censored on some tracks......and unfortunately one of them was BEAT IT !! Those who got the chance to listen to the originals Thriller knows what I'm talking about !!

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 1 2008, 08:59 PM)
We shall SAY NO TO RE-ISSUES from now on.

but is there any such case whereby a re-issue sounds better than the original version?
Well then, Miles Davis Kind Of Blue was supposed to be better on the 200gram audiophile pressing due to they manage to play the analog master tape at the correct speed. Unlike the much earlier vintage version which the analog master tape was played faster than it should thus resulted higher pitching on most tracks......
bsl555
post Apr 2 2008, 09:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!

There's 2 CD albums I have which I'd like to sit down and compare one of these fine days, BUT I only have the vinyl of one album.
That is, Simon & Garfunkel Bridge over trouble waters. I have the CBS Mastersound gold CD of this and its supposed to the very best CD re-issue. The other album is Carole King Tapestry album, also on CBS Mastersound, but sadly I've yet to acquire the original vinyl. This one, I may not bother buying the vinyl. I found the CD entirely satisfying. The US pressed CD reissue of the same title comes close to the Mastersound..very close.
I know I may have some vinyl albums that beat the CD re-issue hands down. One clear example is Carly Simon No Secrets, which the CD re-issue is absolutely CRAP!. Frankly I don't know what WEA label are doing..its so inferior!
Other LP's I have in both formats are Elton John Greatest Hits (on DCC label), Eagles Greatest Hits, Bee Gees Spirits Having Flown, some Ray Conniff, Mantovani Strauss Waltzes, Dave Brubeck Greatest hits, Olivia Newton John (various albums), The Carpenters (aka tukang kayu??) and many more. smile.gif

I found this gem today..NOPE!..NOT the record!..but the CD..DOUBLE DISK..price?..you wouldn't believe it!.

QUOTE(grandspy @ Apr 3 2008, 12:33 AM)
Smashing!! How much?
So which one sounds better? the vinyl or the CD?
Haven't tested yet, but guessing the CD will sound more digital.
Price = A plate of Nasi Beryani? drool.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 2 2008, 09:09 AM
hasnul
post Apr 3 2008, 08:43 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Apr 3 2008, 12:38 AM)
Haven't tested yet, but guessing the CD will sound more digital.
Price = A plate of Nasi Beryani?  drool.gif
So, how's the music ?? Ada ngam ??

Ah !! Well, guess i'll be going to Amcorp Mall again this Sunday. thumbup.gif
'62jaguar
post Apr 4 2008, 11:23 AM

On my way

QUOTE(hasnul @ Mar 31 2008, 11:01 PM)
Heheh...I think it gonna cost a lot more than the 33 rpm version. Luckily, Ride The Lightning album are easily obtainable at Amcorp !!
how much used one selling at ampcorp?thinking of getting one...

do
a deer, a female deer... biggrin.gif
later want to find that LP lah... tongue.gif
March05
post Apr 4 2008, 11:42 AM

Certified Lowyat.NUT

QUOTE(hasnul @ Apr 3 2008, 11:23 PM)
...i'll be going to Amcorp Mall again this Sunday...
Looks like we can have the LYN TTU-SIG tt sessions at Amcorp Mall on a regular basis. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

How many going this Sunday?

Legend: TTU = Turntable Users
tt = teh tarik

bsl555
post Apr 4 2008, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(hasnul @ Apr 3 2008, 08:43 PM)
So, how's the music ?? Ada ngam ??
Listened to it though my laptop only lah.. haven't switched on the hifi for days..no time this week.

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 11:42 AM)
Looks like we can have the LYN TTU-SIG tt sessions at Amcorp Mall on a regular basis.� � rclxms.gifrclxms.gifrclxms.gif
How many going this Sunday?
Legend: TTU = Turntable Users
� � � � � �  tt = teh tarik

Wah!..now its Amcorp Mall gathering.. If it happens, it'll improve "MY weekend PICNIC resort!". Meanwhile, I've always hung around with so many regular kaki there everytime. You fellows carry on if I'm pre-occupied with other friends, but I may join you all for some moments.
That Amcorp Mall place is quite a NOISY place (especially LG floor area) you know?. But thats where the bargains are.

March05, you're really sneaking in despite your seemingly tight schedules juggling between quality time and family ya?. smile.gif

You might want to find your Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music soundtrack LP?.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 4 2008, 12:08 PM
March05
post Apr 4 2008, 02:23 PM

Certified Lowyat.NUT

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:05 PM)
March05, you're really sneaking in despite your seemingly tight schedules juggling between quality time and family ya?.  smile.gif
Ya lah, keeping one eye on the biz, one on missus & kids, and going cross-eyed on this thread.... rclxub.gif

Now I feel like screaming already....stress, stress, stress. Haven't listened to anything since I left your house on Saturday..... I must go to Amcorp Mall this Sunday lah. Otherwise I'm just going to explode!!!!

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Apr 4 2008, 01:42 PM)
You might want to find your Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music soundtrack LP?.
Mary Poppins...must get it, after finally listening to supercalifragilisticexpialidocious at your place! It's been at least 20 years since I last heard it. Sound of Music, no need lah, one old well worn copy cukup.... biggrin.gif

Of course see what can restore some memories....maybe get hold of a copy of `Cats' icon_idea.gif hmmm Barbara Streisand, yes!!! Also Bette Midler..... I've only got them on mp3, which hardly does justice to their talents.

'62jaguar, it's doe
a deer, a female deer.

You want nanny Julie to smack you ah? sweat.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by March05: Apr 4 2008, 02:28 PM
bsl555
post Apr 4 2008, 02:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:23 PM)
Mary Poppins...must get it, after finally listening to supercalifragilisticexpialidocious at your place! It's been at least 20 years since I last heard it. Sound of Music, no need lah, one old well worn copy cukup.... biggrin.gif
heheh..I didn't tell you I have the original CD re-issue of the MP soundtrack..got it from Canada some years back!.. very well remastered. I also have Sound of music 30th ANI double disc issue which contains a 2nd disc of unreleased sountrack music.
jazzy939
post Apr 4 2008, 02:47 PM

reel is real

Here! Here!
Me going too this Sunday rclxms.gif
See you there, huh? tongue.gif
Since last saturday have been spinning (and cleaning) my LPs.. the CD deck is taking along break biggrin.gif
Need to buy more LP jackets and sleeves.. tongue.gif (and LPs too.. ) wink.gif

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:46 PM)

Now I feel like screaming already....stress, stress, stress. Haven't listened to anything since I left your house on Saturday..... I must go to Amcorp Mall this Sunday lah. Otherwise I'm just going to explode!!!!
Bro march, hope to see you there! and if you're there, YOU"RE THE MAN! notworthy.gif
'62jaguar
post Apr 4 2008, 02:52 PM

On my way

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:23 PM)

'62jaguar, it's doe
a deer, a female deer.

You want nanny Julie to smack you ah?  sweat.gif  laugh.gif
ahahahhaha... laugh.gif laugh.gif
please nanny Julie...4give me... icon_rolleyes.gif

p/s: nampak sgt tak tau ejaan blush.gif

March05
post Apr 4 2008, 07:18 PM

Certified Lowyat.NUT

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:26 PM)
heheh..I didn't tell you I have the original CD .....I also have Sound of music 30th ANI double disc issue.....
Adoi, adoi, adoi..... shocking.gif

hmm.gif Let me `lum kai chai'.

QUOTE('62jaguar @ Apr 4 2008, 02:52 PM)
please nanny Julie...4give me... 
hehe....if you drive all the way from JB to Amcorp Mall this Sunday, nanny Julie sure will 4give u.

jazzy bro, see u there! Now I've got approx. 41 hours to figure out how to sneak out of the house......

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I really feel bad about last week, abandoning our tt session at the last minute...what to do, kena marching orders, have to leave, otherwise maybe get tsunami at home lah. laugh.gif

This weekend, must plan very, very carefully, no more hitches........
bsl555
post Apr 4 2008, 07:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 07:18 PM)
Now I've got approx. 41 hours to figure out how to sneak out of the house......
Wow!..I must consult you sometime or other how to plan great strategies. You must be an expert if I see you around this Sunday!. rclxms.gif

Lets say its now "hot property" and an acquired taste.
CD Digital sound has been reduced with heavy compression and can likely be treated as coffee cup coasters.
Unfortunately, enthusiasts have not much choice but to acquire "used records" most of the time, many are ressurected from the dumps.
gabanyayaya
post Apr 4 2008, 09:36 PM

Audiophedophile

QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Apr 1 2008, 12:19 AM)
Me included lah bsl! We're NOT cheapskate.. we're 'low cost' just like AirAsia biggrin.gif
jazzy...how much do you spend every time shopping for LP??? $1, $10, $100, $1000 hohoho....
ristikol
post Apr 4 2008, 11:04 PM

\~*Grand Belial's Key*~/

wow!!!really rare to have vinyls
jazzy939
post Apr 4 2008, 11:21 PM

reel is real

Not at all bro.. we understand the 'problem' biggrin.gif
Anyway, bsl was a great host. Saturday's dinner and Sunday's lunch was fantabulous thumbup.gif 'Just the two of us' wink.gif
Oh yeah.. can't wait for Sunday! tongue.gif (Just have additional budget for more LPs/CDs ) rclxms.gif

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 09:11 PM)
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I really feel bad about last week, abandoning our tt session at the last minute...what to do, kena marching orders, have to leave, otherwise maybe get tsunami at home lah.  laugh.gif

This weekend, must plan very, very carefully, no more hitches........

Added on April 4, 2008, 9:52 pmgabanyayaya,
its the 'value' that you acquired that is worth more that what you had paid.. thumbup.gif

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ Apr 4 2008, 09:36 PM)
jazzy...how much do you spend every time shopping for LP??? $1, $10, $100, $1000 hohoho....
it is not rare anymore! where have you been? tongue.gif
'62jaguar
post Apr 5 2008, 08:14 AM

On my way

QUOTE(March05 @ Apr 4 2008, 07:18 PM)
hehe....if you drive all the way from JB to Amcorp Mall this Sunday, nanny Julie sure will 4give u.

hahahah...too far la bro march...i'll just stick to a hifi shop owned by an old towkey in skudai parade... biggrin.gif

Added on April 5, 2008, 8:18 am
QUOTE(jazzy939 @ Apr 4 2008, 11:21 PM)
it is not rare anymore! where have you been? tongue.gif
yeah..not rare lah...
'it's the BOMB, the thing' as what micheal fremer would say... biggrin.gif

Added on April 5, 2008, 2:31 pmanyway,
really love this one...can't wait to set up my TT set back up again... tongue.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by '62jaguar: Apr 5 2008, 02:31 PM
hetfield
post Apr 5 2008, 06:10 PM

QUOTE(b48753 @ Mar 31 2008, 06:31 PM)
I think the vinyl will have richer sound especially on middle low frequencies...based on my experience on Queen song, i still prefer the analog sound. Unless at the first recording stage they put it in digital then it will be different..  hmm.gif
bro, which Queen song is that?

128 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0920sec    2.05    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 09:05 AM