10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Blackberries (updated), Differences between BB & other phones

views

TSReuben
post Mar 5 2008, 05:31 PM, updated 13y ago

BolehVPN
667 posts

As far as I know the main advantage of Blackberries are push e-mail and the keyboard layout.

Aren't there other phones that do this?

What's so special about the Blackberry?

I am thinking of getting a Blackberry but a bit appalled at the monthly cost of it but it seems many in my profession use it. So really wondering is this more of a herd mentality or is there something really special about the Blackberry?

Anyone in the know? Also suggest some alternatives?

This post has been edited by Reuben: Apr 25 2008, 03:53 PM
rayfoo
post Mar 5 2008, 05:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,493 posts

bought for my boss, nothing special also ...my dopod also got blackberry client smile.gif
cute_boboi
post Mar 5 2008, 05:56 PM

° 忍 °
6,056 posts

Some users claim BB device (from RIM) perform faster and OS is more stable than others.

kerry
post Mar 5 2008, 10:14 PM

Casual
327 posts

"blackberry connect" is the client s/w for non-bb phone. Noticeable limitation compared to a bb phone. In my case, it's just used for instant notification of incoming message(s). For the actual message(s), users need to d/l from our server.
TSReuben
post Mar 6 2008, 12:18 AM

BolehVPN
667 posts

QUOTE(kerry @ Mar 5 2008, 10:14 PM)
"blackberry connect" is the client s/w for non-bb phone. Noticeable limitation compared to a bb phone. In my case, it's just used for instant notification of incoming message(s). For the actual message(s), users need to d/l from our server.
Don't other smart phones now support push e-mail as well?
Nadia_1510
post Mar 6 2008, 12:21 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

dont lah.. nothing special bout blackberry~~~ i bought from maxis last year and yeah i only used it 4 a month~~!!
TSReuben
post Apr 25 2008, 03:50 PM

BolehVPN
667 posts

Alright just thought I'll update you guys and tell you what I felt set it apart from other phones and pdas. Finally got a Blackberry Curve 8320.

I got the pics off random websites and take note that the BB is highly customizable in terms of looks. Right now mine is configured to look a bit like the iPhone's layout biggrin.gif. Not an Apple fan but love their look ;P

First of all:

1) Interface

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Was a real breeze to pick up and the keyboard layout is fantastic. Other phone manufacturers seem to be catching on but I can type pretty fast with my Blackberry at the moment. Whole system was intuitive, quick and fast responding

Trackball was great as well.

A bit confused why there wasn't a dedicated fullstop button though and you require to press alt-m to do a full stop.

2) Push E-mail

user posted image

One of the main focuses of the BB devices and it performs beautifully. Often reaching my BB first before my computer.
Can view most major attachments including Microsoft Office with no problems.

However can't display HTML e-mail (or I haven't found out how to) so you'll see a bit of links here and there for those html based ones.

This kept loading e-mail a real breeze.

I have tested it with pop3 e-mail, gmail and yahoo though it also supports Outlook synchronization.

3) Stability

Now i've read a lot of reviews on mobiles based on Windows Mobile and heard their crashes and issues with the platform. I haven't tested this yet but it seems to be common place from the number of reviews I made and the experiences from my friends.

My blackberry has crashed....zilch nada. Only slowdown I felt was when the reception cut out midway and the loading will jam for a short while until it figures out that the reception is gone tongue.gif. I think about 3 secs then it's back to normal.

4) Blackberry Messenger/Googletalk/Yahoo

user posted image

user posted image

This is truly a god send.

Free IMing with file send capabilities and I really really like the feature where it would show via little icons whether it's been delivered or read and even when the person is typing.

Also it has pretty good integrated support for Googletalk and Yahoo. I haven't tried Fring yet for comparison but as far as I can concerned IM wise had no problems using them and pretty zippy.

I have cut down my sms charges significantly with this feature.

user posted image

5) Battery Life

I average around 2 days with quite intensive use. Frantic typing and lots and lots of GPRS surfing.

My colleague who uses a Windows Mobile when doing the same goes flat in about a day.

Blackberries are known for its superb power efficiency for the functions it provides.

6) GPRS Speed

Blackberry's server optimizes web content very well over low bandwidth networks so that surfing is fine and even downloading attachments aren't too bad. I have not tried 3g yet but as compared to my WAP phone, it's miles faster.

This is pretty useful if you're on the go and you don't always have EDGE/3g coverage.

Gripes

I do have some gripes however. Most of the BB phones do not have 3g support. The 8707g is the only local one with it and I am unsure of how good it is. They do have EDGE support though but that's useless since Digi uses Edge but has no Blackberry service. The devices with WIFI ability are also kinda pointless as the Blackberry is such a low powered device designed to save battery that the speed it gets from WIFI without the BIS optimization is pretty shitty.

This will be rectified in the 9xxx series coming out next year which does have 3g support. And it looks pretty sexy too.

user posted image

Also the Blackberry browser unlike all its other apps is pretty shitty. Websites display not so well and meh well it's just not a great experience on it. You can use Opera Mini to compensate which is available for free but I find surfing on a small device a bit finicky. I think if you really want mobile web browsing, then the Iphone beats it hands down.

Conclusion

If you want a business phone with superb communication abilities and functionality then get a Blackberry. Its simple and does its job well and isn't too pricey. The Curve range also has a pretty decent camera and media players so its not strictly business and I have good fun with it as well.

However if you want something with all the bells and whistles and with the ooh aah factor then the BB is not for you and you're probably better off getting an Iphone or a beefier pocket pc. But I will also keep watch on the 9xxx series on the BB which seems to continue where the 8300 series left off which is also catering to the consumer as opposed to just the business man.

Btw third party support is surprisingly not bad at all for the Blackberry. I found apps to do all sorts of things from SSH and RDP to games and such so there's no shortage of apps out there which pleasantly surprised me.

This post has been edited by Reuben: Apr 25 2008, 04:14 PM
babber
post Apr 25 2008, 11:12 PM

Forumer
1,360 posts

pretty mahal blackberry and yet I dont even know how to use it. tried my sister's blackberry but it's certainly not for me. laugh.gif
LaskarCinta
post May 4 2008, 05:01 PM

?
1,651 posts

other phones also have push email. not only via BBConnect, but also we can use Exchange (ActiveSync), which is available on Windows Mobile platform. mmm...even the latest iPhone firmware supports ActiveSync.

so we still have other options of direct push email other than BlackBerry.

mmm...what's great bout BB is the keyboard. but yeah other phone manufacturers also strive to introduce better keyboard layout (or at least as similar as on the BB).
and the battery on BB devices last longer per charge (compared with other BBConnect-enabled smartphones)

btw if wanna use BB on EDGE, u can opt for Maxis. it also got EDGE.

This post has been edited by LaskarCinta: May 4 2008, 05:02 PM
sleepwalker
post May 9 2008, 09:38 AM

Need sleep....
Group Icon
Staff
5,374 posts

QUOTE(LaskarCinta @ May 4 2008, 05:01 PM)
other phones also have push email. not only via BBConnect, but also we can use Exchange (ActiveSync), which is available on Windows Mobile platform. mmm...even the latest iPhone firmware supports ActiveSync.

so we still have other options of direct push email other than BlackBerry.

mmm...what's great bout BB is the keyboard. but yeah other phone manufacturers also strive to introduce better keyboard layout (or at least as similar as on the BB).
and the battery on BB devices last longer per charge (compared with other BBConnect-enabled smartphones)

btw if wanna use BB on EDGE, u can opt for Maxis. it also got EDGE.
Do you actually know the meaning of push mail? What Microsoft has done with the activesync is to redefine the meaning of fetchmail. It's not push mail if your device has to check the server for emails. That's still the old fashion fetchmail.

With BB devices, the device will stay on standby and receives emails like SMS, being pushed from the BB server to the BB device. That's what makes BB technology so different from the rest and standout in this crowded market. In fact it's so good that nobody would even bother to compete with it. There is no competing BB technology. Other manufacturer's are putting BB software into their phones.
TSReuben
post May 9 2008, 09:59 AM

BolehVPN
667 posts

QUOTE(sleepwalker @ May 9 2008, 09:38 AM)
Do you actually know the meaning of push mail? What Microsoft has done with the activesync is to redefine the meaning of fetchmail. It's not push mail if your device has to check the server for emails. That's still the old fashion fetchmail.

With BB devices, the device will stay on standby and receives emails like SMS, being pushed from the BB server to the BB device. That's what makes BB technology so different from the rest and standout in this crowded market. In fact it's so good that nobody would even bother to compete with it. There is no competing BB technology. Other manufacturer's are putting BB software into their phones.
That's true but you can't blame the regular Joe for not knowing this.

Microsoft calls it 'Direct Push Technology' when it actually isn't!

Check the thread below for full details:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthrea...p?threadid=4247
LaskarCinta
post May 9 2008, 03:13 PM

?
1,651 posts

QUOTE(sleepwalker @ May 9 2008, 09:38 AM)
i already grab the concept there, but still it's a good alternative rite? still fetchmail, but the outcome is almost the same rite? (receiving emails in "almost" realtime, that should suffice for most user). ok maybe some difference in battery life considering on how the mail is sent, but still it get things works.
btw as for me, another thing that's really good on the BB is the convenient keyboard. and looking at the review of the BB9000 on the CrackBerry, it should be perfect for avid email user.

This post has been edited by LaskarCinta: May 9 2008, 03:29 PM
TSReuben
post May 9 2008, 03:25 PM

BolehVPN
667 posts

QUOTE(LaskarCinta @ May 9 2008, 03:13 PM)
i already grab the concept there, but still it's a good alternative rite? still fetchmail, but the outcome is almost the same rite? (receiving emails in "almost" realtime, that should be adequate for most user)
btw what really good on the BB is the convenient keyboard. and looking at the review of the BB9000 on the CrackBerry, it should be perfect for avid email user.
The main point is the battery life here. When it's set to check the server at intervals it's going to drain batteries a lot faster.

And the other important point is that Microsoft is misrepresenting their 'push' mail technology.
LaskarCinta
post May 9 2008, 03:38 PM

?
1,651 posts

QUOTE(Reuben @ May 9 2008, 03:25 PM)
The main point is the battery life here. When it's set to check the server at intervals it's going to drain batteries a lot faster.
i know that (i've edited on what i wrote that before i realised a new reply there), but that's hardly the most critical issue here considering on how things got more efficient on energy. still a plus side for blackberry, but not that critical (for me).
QUOTE(Reuben @ May 9 2008, 03:25 PM)
important point is that Microsoft is misrepresenting their 'push' mail technology.
yup, that's really true. it's not a real "push" mail. but at least it gives the impression of the "push" hehehe...

btw what will worry some people though is the case like this:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/12/indian-...im-allows-gove/
i know it's still not happening here yet, but this shows how emails that transferred via NOC can be snooped by other people that have power. yup, it's still a great possibility, and maybe it's a lot safer for just opting on activesync (that's not really a "push").

This post has been edited by LaskarCinta: May 9 2008, 03:42 PM
TSReuben
post May 10 2008, 01:09 AM

BolehVPN
667 posts

QUOTE(LaskarCinta @ May 9 2008, 03:38 PM)
i know that (i've edited on what i wrote that before i realised a new reply there), but that's hardly the most critical issue here considering on how things got more efficient on energy. still a plus side for blackberry, but not that critical (for me).

yup, that's really true. it's not a real "push" mail. but at least it gives the impression of the "push" hehehe...

btw what will worry some people though is the case like this:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/12/indian-...im-allows-gove/
i know it's still not happening here yet, but this shows how emails that transferred via NOC can be snooped by other people that have power. yup, it's still a great possibility, and maybe it's a lot safer for just opting on activesync (that's not really a "push").
That's quite different that's RIM being forced to let their encryption be broken by the government authorities. This is not a weakness in RIM's technology itself but rather because of Indian authorities. The fact that the Indian authorities have to force them to open it up shows that they couldn't break the encryption via its own resources or it was too much of a hassle.

And if you go down that path of how e-mails via NOC can be snooped, there isn't any limit as to what the government can do. For example there are commercial encryption programs that are required to give a special key to the authorities (which happens in the US). So even Microsoft or what not, if forced to would have to open up their encryption anyway.

I'm not saying this would or is happening. I'm saying it's a bit of an unfair comparison to say 'oh RIM was forced to open itself in India and therefore its system is less secure' when if you're the government, you're in a position to regulate most things. Till then, it's a very big hypothetical situation which should not be taken into consideration when choosing between a BB or Activesync enabled phone.

Remember that to make both solutions work properly, you would need to get either a unlimited 3g plan or unlimited BB plan. Considering that the BB plan comes with the 3g plan already bundled in that's an added advantage once more 3g BBs hit the market.

The other thing is that Windows Mobile enabled phones tend to need more powerful processors to run it as well as compared to the minimal BB OS which also further takes a drain on the battery in addition to the pull e-mail polling. One of the partners in the firm I work in is a huge Windows Mobile fan and yet he admits his phone goes flat at the end of the day or if he uses it too much, less. For some people that's ok but for me who works early in the morning till quite late at night, having it cut it close at around 6 pm isn't too acceptable.

I am not denying that other solutions are starting to narrow the gap of the BB, but right now it still is a good bit ahead for those who put e-mail and messaging as a forefront. however what has to be noted is that at the same time, BB is also closing the gap on its media/customer appeal side as well which were previously the domain of more casual phones. So devices are becoming more generic ;P and maybe at the end of the day there won't be much difference between a bb and a smart phone though right now the differences are still there.
zhumak
post May 10 2008, 02:14 AM

Casual
306 posts

I need a Blackberry + Celcom unlimited plan, but i would like to know more before i get one. can any experts here kindly guide me through? thank you.

my concerns are:

1. what package they have? i only know celcom got unlimited data plan. so only pay RM98 for it? what about the phone, will they give free blackberry or need to buy?

2. i need it to download email anytime i need, i saw my frens are using it to download email, even when travel overseas. can our celcom do the same? i mean download email instantly while overseas?

3. if can download and reply email while overseas, hows the charges look like?

4. which model will you guys propose for blackberry? at the moment celcom sell how many models?

thank you in advance for the explanation. thank you.
LaskarCinta
post May 10 2008, 02:02 PM

?
1,651 posts

QUOTE(Reuben @ May 10 2008, 01:09 AM)
it's a bit of an unfair comparison to say 'oh RIM was forced to open itself in India and therefore its system is less secure' when if you're the government, you're in a position to regulate most things.
i know that, but yeah that possibility is still there due to the nature of the role of NOC in the network. but still, for most people that's not really a big deal. btw, yup that's just some hypothetical situation (but still raised as international issue). i just said it as probability, not necessarily being put into consideration.
btw as a mobile email solution, i agree BB works great and also a plus side on the battery. btw some people have tried Exchange in the limited release iPhone beta firmware (or illegal copies of it) and the battery life isn't that bad afterall.

QUOTE(Reuben @ May 10 2008, 01:09 AM)
but right now it still is a good bit ahead for those who put e-mail and  messaging as a forefront.
yup, still as for now BB is superior than other mobile email solution.

This post has been edited by LaskarCinta: May 10 2008, 02:05 PM
Seaedge
post May 10 2008, 03:32 PM

Safe Trader since 2005.
5,172 posts

the 1st thing ever come in mind if i got a bbphone... dam i cant escape from my boss email. no excuses to say i didnt read that email. and thats y most company try to implement the use of blackberry. especially international company...
TSReuben
post May 10 2008, 03:45 PM

BolehVPN
667 posts

QUOTE(zhumak @ May 10 2008, 02:14 AM)
I need a Blackberry + Celcom unlimited plan, but i would like to know more before i get one. can any experts here kindly guide me through? thank you.

my concerns are:

1. what package they have? i only know celcom got unlimited data plan. so only pay RM98 for it? what about the phone, will they give free blackberry or need to buy?

2. i need it to download email anytime i need, i saw my frens are using it to download email, even when travel overseas. can our celcom do the same? i mean download email instantly while overseas?

3. if can download and reply email while overseas, hows the charges look like?

4. which model will you guys propose for blackberry? at the moment celcom sell how many models?
thank you in advance for the explanation. thank you.
1. No point getting the limited one. only one worth getting is the unlimited one and yes I believe its 98 for the BIS package. For the phone best to go through them. Currently they are having a special promotion on their BB phones which gives VERY good discounts. You can get a Pearl for 1099 I believe.

2. Yes you can though you would incur roaming charges (which aren't that bad). Something like RM20 for 20 mb or something like that. Considering most e-mails are small and as long as you aren't viewing a lot of attachments, that amount should be sufficient for you for quite a good a while. You would have to switch to a Vodafone partner network to enjoy the good rates (which are found worldwide anyway).

3. See above though you should check with Celcom

4. Celcom sells officially only two models the 8707g and the 8100 pearl but if you do ask them or go to their job they actually do sell quite a few others including the Curve. For me the curve 8310 is a good choice at RM1550 (PROMOTION PRICE FOR THIS MONTH usually 1899) as it also has media features and a camera and GPS. Another good choice is the 8100 Pearl at RM1099 (usually RM1699 I think) which is a smaller version of the Blackberry with media features + camera but yeah you don't have the full keyboard.

Now is a good time to get a BB biggrin.gif

Added on May 10, 2008, 3:47 pm
QUOTE(Seaedge @ May 10 2008, 03:32 PM)
the 1st thing ever come in mind if i got a bbphone... dam i cant escape from my boss email. no excuses to say i didnt read that email. and thats y most company try to implement the use of blackberry. especially international company...
If you have a crappy boss that doesn't respect your privacy yeah...but you are meant to read your boss's e-mail and not give excuses unless he's being unreasonable.

it depends how you view it and it's not a fault of the device itself but the organizational structure. For me it frees me from the office and the computer allowing me to do a lot of my work while on the go and saving me a lot of time rather than being tied down to my desk. For a lawyer it's also pretty handy when you're in court or outstation.

Do take note that Blackberries do have an inbuilt feature where you can turn off the e-mail receiving function at pre determined times and turn it on again later so if you want to clearly partition your work/leisure time, there's a feature that would help you.

This post has been edited by Reuben: May 10 2008, 03:47 PM
Seaedge
post May 10 2008, 04:02 PM

Safe Trader since 2005.
5,172 posts

QUOTE(Reuben @ May 10 2008, 03:45 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
yeah... different people will have different perception of BB, i am just giving an example previously.
when some goes for mobility and email is the way to keep contact, some rather exchange it with mobile phonecalls and sms. i dun take BBphones because of the service fees need to pay. 2ndly, i dun have that many emails to reply anyway. and if i really on mobile, i use my 3g to download those emails becoz i am already under unlimited package.

i have seen how people hate/love blackberry. but i am neutral, coz i dun need blackberry just yet.

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0285sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th November 2020 - 10:06 AM