Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Southern Thailand- Hadtyai, Songkla & more, Interesting places + foods

views

fuzagi
post Jun 6 2016, 06:07 AM

Cushcushiers
1,044 posts

QUOTE(metaled @ Jun 5 2016, 04:23 PM)
well yeah, there is a big sign that state this fact also. Generally 20 baht is only use when there is a thai working visa in your passport. There will be extra 1 process for them to counter check your visa, 2-3 extra mouse click and some typing.

normally RM 1 is suffice. End of the night, the collection of the day will be pool together by an officer where they will be taken into the office, who knows what will happen with the money.

if you dont pay they will request also. it is wiser to pay. 10-15 years ago a good wai with some casual sembang is suffice, it is not the case now.

Living in thailand teach me one thing, if money can solve your problem(99% of the time, 1% when your luck turn south and they decide to put u into the statistic), pay up. If your are not cambodian, burmese, laotion, westener, you will be fine mostly the cost is at a minimum.
i see, i always missed out on the sign then. i agree on the money that solves things (one of the advantages of a corrupted place brows.gif) i understand that they will milk westerners but why cambodian, burmese and laotian too? mind sharing your findings?

QUOTE(ajaibman @ Jun 5 2016, 04:36 PM)
Called your current MY car/bike insurance ask for extension coverage to Thai Kingdom for XXX number of days. Then you will pay around 50 -100 Rm depending on how long the duration.---> (This to cover your vehicle damage issue in TH)

Then you on the border get the thai 3rd party people only insurance. (Abt 17 Rm) once you crossed to Thai-->(this just formality in case during the custom TH registration process your luck run out and the officer asking for this piece of paper, but 90% of the time they will not)

ask around in the border area to buy another Comprehensive Thai Insurance for your vehicle. Cost about similar with MY one.  ---> (This to cover 3rd party TH citizen casualties along with their properties/vehicle)

That's the safest you can get bringing your car into Land of Smile. If anyone asking why so leceh/cham one? ask back have they ever involved into accident in Thai and even goes through repatriate the Malaysian victim's body back to MY?

I toured with my bike much to Thai and some of my gang even goes until IndoChina. Horror stories on accident issues in Thailand and beyond makes us learned lots of lessons.

And don't forget to buy your own Travel Medical Insurance..
thanks a bunch for your suggestion! well appreciated. i should have thought of the local insurer haha.
yea man, involving in any motor accident in Thailand really gives nightmares. not to mention some people actually lost lives to that .sweat.gif
metaled
post Jun 6 2016, 11:37 AM

Getting Started
263 posts

QUOTE(fuzagi @ Jun 6 2016, 06:07 AM)
i see, i always missed out on the sign then. i agree on the money that solves things (one of the advantages of a corrupted place  brows.gif) i understand that they will milk westerners but why cambodian, burmese and laotian too? mind sharing your findings?
thanks a bunch for your suggestion! well appreciated. i should have thought of the local insurer haha.
yea man, involving in any motor accident in Thailand really gives nightmares. not to mention some people actually lost lives to that .sweat.gif
If they are from those neighboring country, the guy population are mostly in hardcore labour type job ( construction, slaughtering farm animals, lifting heavy objects etc u get the idea ), while the ladies some are employ at the naughty side of business. Women from the burmese highland of Shan state is white, the thai males who want to be exotic are particularly fond of them. Thai dude will always choose a white skin women first.

That being said not all though, particularly construction site if their bf/husband work here, u will need to employ their wife/gf as well for the guy to actually start work, they come as a package. The female do the cleaning and cooking, tapau, site cleaning etc.

Milking bekos they are from neighboring country, and not everyone enter thailand via the legal method. Some of them take the legal route but have to pay more for a working visa ( being scam by the middle guy if they dont speak a single word of thai ), and the victim are generally quiet about it. They want to work in thailand.

These days most from neighboring country are quite well informed most have friend working in thailand already, and some of the SME employer are really nice enough to go all out and help them, most business owner knows when it comes to hard labor work they work 2x harder then thai and are obedient.
zgravity
post Jun 6 2016, 11:56 AM

2 posts

anyone going during raya holiday?
zDarkForceSz
post Jun 8 2016, 09:16 AM

Regular
1,938 posts

QUOTE(metaled @ Jun 5 2016, 04:23 PM)
well yeah, there is a big sign that state this fact also. Generally 20 baht is only use when there is a thai working visa in your passport. There will be extra 1 process for them to counter check your visa, 2-3 extra mouse click and some typing.

normally RM 1 is suffice. End of the night, the collection of the day will be pool together by an officer where they will be taken into the office, who knows what will happen with the money.

if you dont pay they will request also. it is wiser to pay. 10-15 years ago a good wai with some casual sembang is suffice, it is not the case now.

Living in thailand teach me one thing, if money can solve your problem(99% of the time, 1% when your luck turn south and they decide to put u into the statistic), pay up. If your are not cambodian, burmese, laotion, westener, you will be fine mostly the cost is at a minimum.
hi, i'm going to hatyai for the first time this end of month (via train), so when crossing the border just put in RM1 into the passport?
metaled
post Jun 8 2016, 01:14 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

QUOTE(zDarkForceSz @ Jun 8 2016, 09:16 AM)
hi, i'm going to hatyai for the first time this end of month (via train), so when crossing the border just put in RM1 into the passport?
i have never cross via train in my life so i am not sure, but u can always see the few person in front of you when you line up if they prepare the money.

You can try this way. Just give him your passport without any money. Only pay if he request.

sometimes the cost may be RM 2 when there is a long long line, depends on how much he ask.
zgravity
post Jun 8 2016, 03:26 PM

2 posts

does anyone have info for cheap car rental in hat yai?
Zelmel
post Jun 9 2016, 11:18 PM

Casual
493 posts

Hi everyone,
Wanna ask about Hat Yai
Will be going for short trip 3D2N to Hatyai during weekend with my family.
Any recommended must visit places? I planned to stay near the Kim Yong market. Shopping nearby that one for sure.
Any nice and clean massage place in Hatyai. We like Thai massage, everytime go bangkok or krabi sure go massage. But i cant find any info about Hatyai massage on Google except for "you know" special massage.
fuzagi
post Jun 14 2016, 07:54 PM

Cushcushiers
1,044 posts

QUOTE(Zelmel @ Jun 9 2016, 11:18 PM)
Hi everyone,
Wanna ask about Hat Yai
Will be going for short trip 3D2N to Hatyai during weekend with my family.
Any recommended must visit places? I planned to stay near the Kim Yong market. Shopping nearby that one for sure.
Any nice and clean massage place in Hatyai. We like Thai massage, everytime go bangkok or krabi sure go massage. But i cant find any info about Hatyai massage on Google except for "you know" special massage.
can try visiting the Municipal Park and the nearby Bon Khao restaurant with a hill view of town, then the 'floating' market if u havent been to one before. for massage, the best i have tried so far is at Only One Thai Massage.
ScooterBoi
post Jun 16 2016, 12:32 AM

Regular
1,278 posts

Be prepared to hand over RM1 & passport to a 'kutu' for the white card and he (sometimes a girl) will fill it for you. Not worth to save RM1 and ask immigration counter for the white card... not easy to know which counter is handing out the white card, especially a 1st timer.

If by bus, the white card will be typed neatly at a rest stop in Changloon - same RM1 for the service.

QUOTE(metaled @ Jun 8 2016, 01:14 PM)
i have never cross via train in my life so i am not sure, but u can always see the few person in front of you when you line up if they prepare the money.

You can try this way. Just give him your passport without any money. Only pay if he request.

sometimes the cost may be RM 2 when there is a long long line, depends on how much he ask.
Agrees with trying first without any money to the immi officer. Nowadays, it is a bit more stringent with camera at the counter. Gone are the days when whole busload of passports handed over in a plastic bag together with money rm3-5 each passports, stamped and handed back to the bus driver without the passengers getting down the bus!

babybb
post Jun 17 2016, 09:40 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

I will be going to hatyai this coming september. It's been few years since i last went to hatyai. Wonder if tuk tuk still 20 bht within city or it's already increase? And i notice Sri Maju coach bus are no longer running double deck bus to hatyai anymore.
EvOliver
post Jul 4 2016, 08:59 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

Anyone had experience driving through Padang Besar border to Thailand? Could you please share how's the procedure and compare to Bukit Kayu Hitam? Will it be easier and faster?
I'm looking for an alternate as nowadays Bukit Kayu Hitam is really too crowded. Looking for a quicker crossover rather than wasting long queue time.
zDarkForceSz
post Jul 5 2016, 08:29 AM

Regular
1,938 posts

QUOTE(EvOliver @ Jul 4 2016, 08:59 PM)
Anyone had experience driving through Padang Besar border to Thailand? Could you please share how's the procedure and compare to Bukit Kayu Hitam? Will it be easier and faster?
I'm looking for an alternate as nowadays Bukit Kayu Hitam is really too crowded. Looking for a quicker crossover rather than wasting long queue time.
almost the same. park your car, get down get your passport chop get the import permit done. drive~
but where to get insurance then i dunno. because the custom that side is very very small 1 counter only.

This post has been edited by zDarkForceSz: Jul 5 2016, 08:31 AM
stimix
post Jul 5 2016, 12:26 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

QUOTE(EvOliver @ Jul 4 2016, 08:59 PM)
Twice dy via pdg besar. Years ago was free flowing but during last CNY, i faced terrible jam at pdg besar too. Took me 2-3 hrs to cross in!!!

I decided to return via bkt kayu hitam & even worst. 5hrs jam from danok to pdg besar.

My advice: avoid border crossing during festive seasons
timing
post Jul 5 2016, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

im going hatyai tomorrow. plan to park car at padang besar and take taxi to hatyai.

anyone got contact for taxi services? reach there at 6am tomorrow should be fine?
EvOliver
post Jul 7 2016, 01:03 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(zDarkForceSz @ Jul 5 2016, 08:29 AM)
almost the same. park your car, get down get your passport chop get the import permit done. drive~
but where to get insurance then i dunno. because the custom that side is very very small 1 counter only.
QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 5 2016, 12:26 PM)
Twice dy via pdg besar. Years ago was free flowing but during last CNY, i faced terrible jam at pdg besar too. Took me 2-3 hrs to cross in!!!

I decided to return via bkt kayu hitam & even worst. 5hrs jam from danok to pdg besar.

My advice: avoid border crossing during festive seasons
Alright. Thanks for advice and sharing. I actually drive all the way to Bangkok. That's why I hate wasting time at the border.
zDarkForceSz
post Jul 7 2016, 08:54 AM

Regular
1,938 posts

QUOTE(EvOliver @ Jul 7 2016, 01:03 AM)
Alright. Thanks for advice and sharing. I actually drive all the way to Bangkok. That's why I hate wasting time at the border.
I also planning my trip this coming end of month. maybe stop by surat thani for a night then continue all the way up.
EvOliver
post Jul 7 2016, 07:47 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

I've taken train from Butterworth to Bangkok several times in the past (many years ago) and have passed the immigration checkpoint without inserting any money in my passport. Unless there's any change in the corrupted system. If not mistaken train attendant will distribute the white card before reaching the border custom, similar to flight.
zDarkForceSz
post Jul 7 2016, 08:43 PM

Regular
1,938 posts

QUOTE(EvOliver @ Jul 7 2016, 07:47 PM)
I've taken train from Butterworth to Bangkok several times in the past (many years ago) and have passed the immigration checkpoint without inserting any money in my passport. Unless there's any change in the corrupted system. If not mistaken train attendant will distribute the white card before reaching the border custom, similar to flight.
i came back already.
reach padang besar, then hire car to thailand side to take mini van. just throw in rm1. save those hassle.
winnie619
post Jul 9 2016, 12:57 AM

Casual
445 posts

I will be going to Hatyai in Dec.
Agoda quite a few of guest house below RM100.
Any specific area that is the most convenient for traveler?
Will stay a night only, the next day 12noon flight back KUL.
Thanks.
gaeria84
post Jul 9 2016, 11:14 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(winnie619 @ Jul 9 2016, 12:57 AM)
I will be going to Hatyai in Dec.
Agoda quite a few of guest house below RM100.
Any specific area that is the most convenient for traveler?
Will stay a night only, the next day 12noon flight back KUL.
Thanks.
Anywhere near Lee Garden is good

141 Pages « < 118 119 120 121 122 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0315sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:37 AM