Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How is "First-Class Honor" Degree benefits us?, In real-life, real world.

views

cks2k2
post Feb 29 2008, 02:22 PM

1,966 posts

Higher starting pay, around RM300 more in some companies.
Boss will have higher expectation of you though, but if you're good you'll become the "go-to" guy really quick.
cks2k2
post Feb 29 2008, 04:15 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(Irzani @ Feb 29 2008, 04:09 PM)
I heard that First Class Graduate can enter straight to PhD,is that true?
Good, reputable universities won't allow that. Unless of course your IQ is freaking high.

cks2k2
post Mar 1 2008, 02:10 AM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(youngkies @ Mar 1 2008, 12:02 AM)
yes if only if you can satisfy them during the interview too.
in fact oxford and cambridge have that option too.
I think everyone missed out the part where I said "unless your IQ is freaking high". rclxub.gif whereby I meant there are exceptions but you'd better be really good. rolleyes.gif

My original statement was on various middle-tier unis offering these quick-PhD programs, which I find dubious. There was this 25 year old lady where I used to work who already had a PhD but most of us doubt her qualifications as she got it from a local uni and frankly our unis ain't that great especially when it comes to research.
cks2k2
post Mar 2 2008, 08:50 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(Vv.SoViEt.vV @ Mar 2 2008, 11:17 AM)

Added on March 2, 2008, 11:19 am
No, they are different. From my understanding, honors are awarded to student who went through external examiners from UK, England or equivalent. For instance, you enroll in private college/university where they have degree programme/course accredited from UK universities. Local university graduates can never have the title "Honors", thus its just ordinary degree, correct me if I m wrong.
I think you're wrong about "Honours" can only be awarded thru external examiners. The honours system differs widely based on the system used (US, UK, OZ etc) but in general the program is of higher standard than the normal "pass" degree. In the Singapore system only the top students are allowed to do an honours program: they have to do an honours project (very research based and post-grad standard) and take extra advanced subjects. Sometimes they have to teach 1st year students as well.

QUOTE(kobe8byrant @ Mar 2 2008, 08:38 PM)
Wait wait, just to clarify, if I want a Masters, I'd need a minimum of second-upper?
What did you expect?
cks2k2
post Mar 2 2008, 10:08 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(Vv.SoViEt.vV @ Mar 2 2008, 09:59 PM)
Obviously, you need to elaborate more to clarify your point. If you are studying in Malaysia and you want to get "honors" you still need to pass through external examiners whether they are based in US, UK or AUS. rolleyes.gif

Why do I refer to UK standards? well, it's because our english is following UK standards and most of our twinning programmes are from UK.
Well I'm talking about the local unis, be it public or private; not twinning programs and the like.
As long as it meets high standards and is recognized by bodies such as MQA, IEM etc these institutions can offer honours programs.
cks2k2
post Mar 2 2008, 11:05 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(Vv.SoViEt.vV @ Mar 2 2008, 10:41 PM)
MQA has no honors programmes in their agency. They only have the "equivalent" bachelor degrees, not honors.
IEM has two distinctive programmes under the institution. One being local engineering degree programmes, which mean ordinary local degree. Second being, accredited engineering degree programmes which accredited by oversea universities which carry the title honors. Obviously, students that apply to this programmes would still have to go through external examiners which i have explained earlier.

Hence, by your definition of "high standards and recognized by bodies such as MQA, IEM" produces,
Satisfy yet?
Go to BEM's website and look for accreditation credentials for local unis (public or private).
See how many Hons degree offered.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:06 AM