Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fulltime Freelance career, Anyone?

views

nikeshock
post Apr 16 2008, 02:08 PM

On my way
561 posts

QUOTE(subsonique @ Feb 27 2008, 08:18 PM)
haha ok i think you got yourself twisted and almost got shot in the head. i do get corporate jobs. freelancers like me, we do have a company of our own, and in my case my company is called Slipstream Graphics. registered with ROC and some along with MOF. so you can go for tenders or government projects. i do have official quotations, invoices, letter of acceptance, delivery order and so on. everything is done legally, because i have learnt my lesson the hard way haha. get protected brothers and sisters.

so you wanna drive SUV by 30? hmmm i had my first Italian car when i was 27 hehe, and now with another Italian car when i am 33, so you can have SUV or bigger than that if you put your mind and effort to it. you get the break, don't ever let it go. hope this helps bro.
yo bro, may i know whats ur qualification??? diploma? degree? master? jealous la =D italian car. lambo or alfa romeo?? xD

useless246
post Apr 17 2008, 04:16 PM

19 posts

hahaha..sometimes u dont need high qualifications to archieve that..
subsonique
post Apr 18 2008, 02:33 PM

Casual
385 posts

QUOTE(useless246 @ Apr 17 2008, 04:16 PM)
hahaha..sometimes u dont need high qualifications to archieve that..

useless is correcto mundo hehe. my qualifications? hehe only degree la bro, ITM some more. no oversea qualifications. no Lamborghini la bro, not yet and not interested haha. Ferrari ok la, that one dream car hehe. work and communication are keys bro hehe.

etsuko
post Apr 19 2008, 06:16 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,210 posts

I read only page 1 as there's so much to digest. ROFL!

But from my side, it was student to freelance to company.

Although a company may be made of 2 or 3 people, I call it a company and not myself as a fulltime freelancer. I believe a company is when you have a team. Like when you're competing in an event, there's individuals and team events. So a company is a team event and full-time freelance is really about individualism.

In the scenario of being a 1 person company but is managing other freelancers, I would refer you as a full-time freelancer in the project manager sense.

In my personal opinion if you're a group of people working under 1 brand then you are called a company.

Anyway...I believe full-time freelance is a stage you advance through to form your own company. The biggest challenge being a full-time freelance is the inconsistent salary...some months more and some less.

But once you get projects consistently rolling in, taking in more jobs, not enough manpower to handle them and have to start getting others than you know you're moving to be a company. Or a full-time freelancer in the project manager sense. tongue.gif

I hope all that makes sense.
iNsAnIaC85
post May 2 2008, 05:13 PM

11 posts

Hmm, didn't know that I could get good insights on freelance and design in LYN. Useful advice for a newbie like me. Discipline's the hardest part to mold into a freelancer's determination, at least that's what I think.
karhtan
post Feb 28 2010, 09:27 AM

6 posts

Hi I am looking for some 2D animators ( full time freelancer ) for my up coming cartoon series. Email me if you are interested to find out more.

cheers!
Ravendock
post Nov 29 2011, 07:30 PM

8 posts

Designers WANTED.

We're looking for freelance designers! who able to work independently, seeking long term co-op relation.

Good Pay, all Cash, Fees paid upon job completion.

anyone interested, please send your contact details and few portfolio to this account designerswantedmsia@gmail.com
Mr. Bon, will be in touch and arrange for meet up. Thanks!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Gmruleme
post Nov 30 2011, 09:44 AM

YONGL
1,468 posts

if got a job + do some part time free lance = earn more?

smile.gif anyone 'tried' this ^?
thyceult
post Apr 13 2012, 01:13 PM

Casual
393 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Without a doubt, common sense would indicate a combination of a permanent position and part-time freelancing will result in greater income generation. But have you considered the return ratio on an "effective hour" basis? A lot of individuals often see the bottom line but fail to notice that total income generated does not necessarily mean better quality of life.

As I have stressed many times before in my previous posts, the objective of the game is to ensure that you maintain a reasonable quality of life (QoL) while pursuing the goal of greater income. I have found that the relationship between is not linear, but often an inverse curve. This means to say that at some point, the damage to your personal time, health and relationships will be exponentially incremental compared to the income you will be able to generate per hour sacrificed.

More is not always better.

Think about it.

To answer the original TS,

I have been "freelancing" for more than 14 years now, with only approximately 3-4 months of proper office work under my belt. If you disregard businesses and investments and only consider freelancing in the highly limited and traditional sense, I would say that I've been at it for about 4-5 years now.

This post has been edited by thyceult: Apr 13 2012, 01:14 PM
piringkosong
post Aug 16 2018, 06:16 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(clivengu @ Feb 25 2008, 11:07 PM)
Mayb I should post this topic in job & carreer but I think this section should be more appropriate as my question targets on Design Industry.

Just like to find out if there is thr anyone here that is taking freelance as their fulltime career...

Graphic,
Illustration,
3D,
Interior / Architects,
Animation
etc.
Would like to know how's the life a freelancer. Great life? Good Earning? Or negative side, like no prospect or Social?
Please share some experience together. notworthy.gif
I become a fulltime artist since i settle highschool. Im happy ever since. Getting money by doing what I love, home based studio. No need to face traffic everyday. It is extremely hard at first. And still is. Nothing is easy in life. Even doing what you love. Difference is, you happy doing it. You have to know how to handle your income. Invest on your medium or computer pr whatever is the material you need to continue doing work.

Keyword is, be patience and enjoy doing the things you choose. And love it.
TSclivengu
post Aug 19 2018, 01:01 AM

Regular
1,849 posts

QUOTE(piringkosong @ Aug 16 2018, 06:16 PM)
I become a fulltime artist since i settle highschool. Im happy ever since. Getting money by doing what I love, home based studio. No need to face traffic everyday. It is extremely hard at first. And still is. Nothing is easy in life. Even doing what you love. Difference is, you happy doing it. You have to know how to handle your income. Invest on your medium or computer pr whatever is the material you need to continue doing work.

Keyword is, be patience and enjoy doing the things you choose. And love it.
Wow... 10 years ago.. I created this post.... doh.gif rclxms.gif

10 years later.... yeah im still doing fulltime freelance... but since it is a full time... I will prefer to say it is "own business" thumbup.gif Time flies!

Agree with everything you said. Nothing is easy.. but still I prefer this way.
ryanming
post Aug 28 2018, 04:12 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(clivengu @ Aug 19 2018, 01:01 AM)
Wow... 10 years ago.. I created this post....  doh.gif rclxms.gif

10 years later.... yeah im still doing fulltime freelance... but since it is a full time... I will prefer to say it is "own business"  thumbup.gif  Time flies!

Agree with everything you said. Nothing is easy.. but still I prefer this way.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:56 PM