9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Watch Collectors please come in

views

ar188
post Oct 2 2008, 01:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 1 2008, 07:01 PM)
All serious watch collectors will first look at the movement, then only the quality/finishing. The quality of the finishing is secondary.

The movement is very important. As serious watch collectors, we look at the movement (caliber). Even if the quality/finishing is superb, there is no point in buying the watch if the watch uses an ETA movement.

I suspect that you are not yet in the serious collector category yet. Only newbie collectors look at the finishing. Remember movement first then finishing. Grace before beauty.

I'll take an excellent condition movement watch to a one with a beautiful dial but less than stellar movement any day. Especially true with vintage watches.

The higher end Panerai costs RM100,000 and above. Isn't that 100x more than a RM1,000+ Tag Heuer.
well different collectors have different priorities, brand and design/finishing/case material/diamonds are also equally important, to tell people that arent serious collector category just because the movement isn't no.1 priority in choosing shows how condescending and unexposed you are to the world of watches.. and your current collection shows. to pay for one 50+k for a patek (and the rest aint exactly A.lange sohne/breguet class) and wanna be in the "serious catagory"? sure or not?

Added on October 2, 2008, 1:11 pm
QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 1 2008, 07:01 PM)
The higher end Panerai costs RM100,000 and above. Isn't that 100x more than a RM1,000+ Tag Heuer.
the lower end panerai 20k
lower end tag around 1k+ - 2k, around 10x-15x

higher end panerai over 100k as you said
higher end Tag also 10-15k.. 10x-15x

this is a more fair comparison donch ya think?

Added on October 2, 2008, 1:18 pm
QUOTE(advocado @ Oct 1 2008, 10:40 PM)
Wow you are not just average joe man, your in the mid upper class of the society.
How do you pay rm35000 by cash? Bring a shoe box?
If the only way to get good discount is to make your way up by buying more watches from them, it's a long way, 10 years maybe. The owner might even changed. Best way is you take us there la keke.
I suggest buying them in Swiss, no tax, big discount if you pay by cash. If you are buying watches like RM35k the money you save probably enough for the plane tickets.
middle class management type also can buy 20-30k watch no need to be mid upper class.. just have to save for it lor.. if its your main hobby sooner or later you get to acquire the things you love..

to buy a 35k watch, no need to bring cash also can. just write a cheque (if the shop is familar with you, they will let you take the watch) , or if not, come back 2days later when the cheque clear to get the watch. or just swipe CC lor..
not all watches buying in swiss is cheaper, for rolex, even in malaysia can be cheaper than in swiss or SG...if you know the key person well, they might let you get higher than normal discount on certain ranges...

This post has been edited by ar188: Oct 2 2008, 01:18 PM
C-Note
post Oct 2 2008, 04:57 PM

starry starry night
3,037 posts

my dad is part watch collector part dealer. He deals 2nd hand original watches as his hobby. He collects potential watches dat will guarantee a profit in future such as Rolex Explorer 2 with orange hand..etc
friedricetheman
post Oct 14 2008, 12:03 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

Here's the Omega Seamaster Calendar that I have just acquired from a private seller. Very rare bumper (hammer) movement and the date window is at 6 o'clock which is extremely rare for an Omega seamaster. This seamaster was only in production for 2 years. The bumper Seamaster with calendar is highly collectible and did I mention very rare. Prices on the internet ranges from USD$895 to USD2,000 onwards depending on the condition and the originality of the parts. To find one without any third party parts is extremely rare. I was offered USD$4,000 for this watch. I'm actually considering the offer. smile.gif

The front of the watch. I have cross-checked with the omega database and it comes up legit. The dial has gold plated hands & dial even though the case is Stainless Steel. This batch of seamasters have that. As you can see the dial is original. This batch of seamasters comes in two different dial designs. One with numerals (mine) and the other with without.
user posted image

The inside is a cal. 355 which dates back to 1953-1954. I have crossed-checked with omegawatches and timezone.com. The inside parts are intact and original. Please see my posts in timezone.com under the Omega and vintage watches forums (username : Marcus_Lau)
user posted image

The back has the words "Seamaster" & "Waterproof" on the top & bottom. This comes up legit too in the www.omegawatches.com vintage database. The earlier seamaster versions does not have the now famous Seamaster logo in the middle but instead have signed top and bottom.
user posted image

The caseback. Original and signed caseback. I double checked with Omega Service Center and they certified that the case matches the inside.
user posted image
friedricetheman
post Oct 14 2008, 12:19 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(ar188 @ Oct 2 2008, 01:04 PM)
well different collectors have different priorities, brand and design/finishing/case material/diamonds are also equally important, to tell people that arent serious collector category just because the movement isn't no.1 priority in choosing shows how condescending and unexposed you are to the world of watches.. and your current collection shows. to pay for one 50+k for a patek (and the rest aint exactly A.lange sohne/breguet class) and wanna be in the "serious catagory"? sure or not?

Added on October 2, 2008, 1:11 pm

the lower end panerai 20k
lower end tag around 1k+ - 2k, around 10x-15x

higher end panerai over 100k as you said
higher end Tag also 10-15k.. 10x-15x

this is a more fair comparison donch ya think?

Added on October 2, 2008, 1:18 pm

middle class management type also can buy 20-30k watch no need to be mid upper class.. just have to save for it lor.. if its your main hobby sooner or later you get to acquire the things you love..

to buy a 35k watch, no need to bring cash also can. just write a cheque (if the shop is familar with you, they will let you take the watch) , or if not, come back 2days later when the cheque clear to get the watch. or just swipe CC lor..
not all watches buying in swiss is cheaper, for rolex, even in malaysia can be cheaper than in swiss or SG...if you know the key person well, they might let you get higher than normal discount on certain ranges...
Well, I'm not sure what do you mean by serious collectors. But most serious collectors I know do value Zenith more than A.lange or Brequet's. It's not the price but the movement. Serious collectors look at rare movements (bumper automatics, hand-wound zeniths, unique in house complications, Zodiac mechanical watches, in house movements etc.) and not the name brand factor.

Brequets, by the way, uses the same movement in most of their watches, barring some minor changes. smile.gif

Don't you ever wonder why A.Lange has no resale value (resale price is 1/10th of list price)? Because they are overpriced. Their 'limited pieces' sales gimmick can only fool first time collectors but never the serious collectors. Why? Because their movement sucks. Ditto with Jaeger. Imagine a watch that is +11 to -5 seconds per day. It's junk for the masses.

My 50 year old Zenith is even more accurate than a hand wound 31 day power reserve A.Lange, running at +0.8 seconds a day...

By the way, I sold off my Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox for that reason above. It ran around +5 seconds a day...

Ps - Do you want a A.Lange moonphase watch? I can get it for you for RM25,000 from my watch junkie friend. He's selling it. All original parts. He bought it from a datuk. You can take it to the service center and get it checked first before buying..

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: Oct 14 2008, 12:20 AM
ar188
post Oct 15 2008, 02:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 14 2008, 12:19 AM)
Well, I'm not sure what do you mean by serious collectors. But most serious collectors I know do value Zenith more than A.lange or Brequet's. It's not the price but the movement. Serious collectors look at rare movements (bumper automatics, hand-wound zeniths, unique in house complications, Zodiac mechanical watches, in house movements etc.) and not the name brand factor.

Brequets, by the way, uses the same movement in most of their watches, barring some minor changes. smile.gif

Don't you ever wonder why A.Lange has no resale value (resale price is 1/10th of list price)? Because they are overpriced. Their 'limited pieces' sales gimmick can only fool first time collectors but never the serious collectors. Why? Because their movement sucks. Ditto with Jaeger. Imagine a watch that is +11 to -5 seconds per day. It's junk for the masses.

My 50 year old Zenith is even more accurate than a hand wound 31 day power reserve A.Lange, running at +0.8 seconds a day...

By the way, I sold off my Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox for that reason above. It ran around +5 seconds a day...

Ps - Do you want a A.Lange moonphase watch? I can get it for you for RM25,000 from my watch junkie friend. He's selling it. All original parts. He bought it from a datuk. You can take it to the service center and get it checked first before buying..
JLC, breguet, lange, etc all declared as junk? wow! shakehead.gif

there is more to watches than just great movement, even a Harry Winston or Chopard diamond studded "Quartz watch" can be considered really serious watch IMHO.. if you think otherwise i.e. junk cos the movement is crap, then no further comment.. different strokes for different folks is all I gotta say...
friedricetheman
post Oct 15 2008, 03:21 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(ar188 @ Oct 15 2008, 02:01 PM)
JLC, breguet, lange, etc all declared as  junk? wow!  shakehead.gif

there is more to watches than just great movement, even a Harry Winston or Chopard diamond studded "Quartz watch" can be considered really serious watch IMHO.. if you think otherwise i.e. junk cos the movement is crap, then no further comment.. different strokes for different folks is all I gotta say...
That I have to agree. Different strokes for different folks.

The watch enthusiasts are grouped loosely into 2 groups :

a) The quartz group

b) The mechanical group

I fell into the latter group (mechanical) as a mechanical watch has more 'soul' than a battery operated one. Even the newer Seiko kenetics (operates without the need to change batteries every few years) fails to impress me.

The quartz group values accuracy, first and foremost. Then, the finishing of the watch is secondary but also important. Do a search online and you would probably see them discussing and comparing accuracy + finishing on their watches. The bling-bling factor is also important in this group. They usually prefer diamond studded with 18kt rose gold watches, and mother-of-pearls dial.

The other group, however, values watch movements above all else. Watches with beautiful engines and rare calibers are highly regarded in this group of horological geeks. Among the rare calibers are the 355 & 353 (omega), Omega Seamaster 300 (military style), Cal. 2532 Zenith, Rolex bubbleback, and Rolex Daytona Zenith. This group also loves complicated mechanical timepieces- from perpetual calendars to minute repeaters to moonphase function.

There is another sub-group of the mechanical branch whom collects vintage watches. This subgroup has recently gained a lot of momentum among the younger set (including myself).

Hope this helps. smile.gif
ar188
post Oct 15 2008, 05:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 15 2008, 03:21 PM)
T
Hope this helps. smile.gif
well, actually there is nothing to "help" in your above comments.. what you mention does show there are many categories in watch collecting/hobby.. so by putting down one category to promote your subcategory shows your bias towards that certain category..
and by labeling other categories as junk just because the other types of watches don't prioritize "movement as ultimate criteria when making that watch" shows you are not really "helping" the watch enthusiast community at all when you input your ideas especially in this thread.. but merely trying to promote your particular preferences as supposedly the absolute right choice for watch collectors.. which I beg to differ (I am open to all the categories you mentioned above and my watch collection is as such, a few items in each of those categories).

anyway, of coz each and every collector has their own preference and entitled to their opinions.. but labeling some of the decent watches listed above as being Junk is not so good la.. for I would take a Rose Gold diamond studded Harry winston over a entry level 35-50k patek anytime.. no matter how good your movement is... biggrin.gif

ck77
post Oct 15 2008, 11:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

Dear all,

Glad to see you guys the watch expert here in LYN. Couldn't argee more on your comments that the calibre is more important than the brand and finishing.

This is the only Omega that fascinated me. Calibred by Lemania 1861 which is the little brother for Lemamia 321 that famously used by NASA for the first spacework and moon landing on 1969. So much so that I wanna own the 321 piece but really can't afford it.

user posted image
Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 17 Limited Edition
coffas
post Oct 16 2008, 11:41 AM

0 posts

Hello there,

Sorry if wrong group,

I'm looking for a watch repair man/ friend.(Horology)
People call him AH Lee. (Chinese man, Height about 5ft 6ins,Wear spec,Age about early 50).
In the early 80's he used to rent a small lot in the Glass,Mirror and Frame shop
at Jalan Pahang,Setapak, KL Just beside the Setapak KFC (Jln Pahang) main road.

During those days he stays in Wangsa Maju,Setapak,KL.
If i not mistaken, In year 2001 or 2002 he shifted his business to Greenwood,Gombak.

Now i think he is still in Gombak but dont know where.

Anyone who knows him.Please forward my HP 019-3861982 and email coffas@streamyx.com to him.
OR pass me his contact number.

To me he is honest,exprience and his price is very reasonable.

Please help.

Thank You
friedricetheman
post Oct 16 2008, 12:11 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(ck77 @ Oct 15 2008, 11:52 PM)
Dear all,

Glad to see you guys the watch expert here in LYN. Couldn't argee more on your comments that the calibre is more important than the brand and finishing.

This is the only Omega that fascinated me. Calibred by Lemania 1861 which is the little brother for Lemamia 321 that famously used by NASA for the first spacework and moon landing on 1969. So much so that I wanna own the 321 piece but really can't afford it.
Yes. Thank you. That's what I've been drumming into ar188's head but he insist on flaming me. sad.gif

But anyways, back to your topic. If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, the speedmaster apollo is a hand wound movement and has hexaplastic or something glass compound. The reason for this is that in zero gravity, the sapphire glass would shatter. Also, it's kinda hard for the watch to self wind in zero gravity. smile.gif

This Speedmaster is highly prized for its reliable movement and good accuracy (NASA specifications). If you want to get it, I'll pass the word around my friends at timezone.com, watchnet.com and locally in the watch collectors circle here in Malaysia. smile.gif We should be able to find you one in good condition with minimal wear and tear at a reasonable price. There's always someone selling something, you just have to know where to look.

friedricetheman
post Oct 16 2008, 12:16 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(coffas @ Oct 16 2008, 11:41 AM)
Hello there,

Sorry if wrong group,

I'm looking for a watch repair man/ friend.(Horology)
People call him AH Lee. (Chinese man, Height about 5ft 6ins,Wear spec,Age about early 50).
In the early 80's he used to rent a small lot in the Glass,Mirror and Frame shop
at Jalan Pahang,Setapak, KL Just beside the Setapak KFC (Jln Pahang) main road.

During those days he stays in Wangsa Maju,Setapak,KL.
If i not mistaken, In year 2001 or 2002 he shifted his business to Greenwood,Gombak.

Now i think he is still in Gombak but dont know where.

Anyone who knows him.Please forward my HP 019-3861982 and email coffas@streamyx.com to him.
OR pass me his contact number.

To me he is honest,exprience and his price is very reasonable.

Please help.

Thank You
If he's the one I think he is, he's still in Wangsa Maju, his shop is next to the Wangsa Maju police station there. It's a small half shop, you can't miss it. hope this helps.
coffas
post Oct 16 2008, 01:05 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 16 2008, 12:16 PM)
If he's the one I think he is, he's still in Wangsa Maju, his shop is next to the Wangsa Maju police station there. It's a small half shop, you can't miss it. hope this helps.
Thanks
Can i have his phone number.

Added on October 16, 2008, 1:35 pm
QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 16 2008, 12:16 PM)
Hello there,

Can you pls tell me which shop near the Balai Polis? Location pls?
Is he still repair watches?

Thanks

This post has been edited by coffas: Oct 16 2008, 01:35 PM
ar188
post Oct 16 2008, 02:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 16 2008, 12:11 PM)
Yes. Thank you. That's what I've been drumming into ar188's head but he insist on flaming me.  sad.gif
hello, where got flame you? biggrin.gif
after all it's you who called me "not serious" collector, not the other way around, just because I don't put "movement" as no.1 priority...

if the watch looks like sucks no amount of serious "movement" will ever sway me to get it... and I have owned quite a few over these past few years..

ck77
post Oct 21 2008, 04:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Oct 16 2008, 12:11 PM)
Yes. Thank you. That's what I've been drumming into ar188's head but he insist on flaming me.  sad.gif

But anyways, back to your topic. If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, the speedmaster apollo is a hand wound movement and has hexaplastic or something glass compound. The reason for this is that in zero gravity, the sapphire glass would shatter. Also, it's kinda hard for the watch to self wind in zero gravity.  smile.gif

This Speedmaster is highly prized for its reliable movement and good accuracy (NASA specifications). If you want to get it, I'll pass the word around my friends at timezone.com, watchnet.com and locally in the watch collectors circle here in Malaysia. smile.gif We should be able to find you one in good condition with minimal wear and tear at a reasonable price. There's always someone selling something, you just have to know where to look.
Yes it is a hand wound manual movement. You are spot on! And by the way, the watch in the pic is mine :-)

blasto
post Nov 12 2008, 05:46 PM

Regular
1,139 posts

QUOTE(ck77 @ Oct 15 2008, 11:52 PM)
Dear all,

user posted image
Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 17 Limited Edition
Very nice Speedy you got there. What's the different between this model vs. 50th Anniversary (Gold Patch) ?

ck77
post Nov 13 2008, 01:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

QUOTE(blasto @ Nov 12 2008, 05:46 PM)
Very nice Speedy you got there. What's the different between this model vs. 50th Anniversary (Gold Patch) ?
Thanks ... Same calibre with special design to commemorate 50th anniversary of speedy
IMHO, the traditional dial still look the best. Well, different people different taste smile.gif
blasto
post Nov 14 2008, 08:59 AM

Regular
1,139 posts

QUOTE(ck77 @ Nov 13 2008, 01:13 AM)
Thanks ... Same calibre with special design to commemorate 50th anniversary of speedy
IMHO, the traditional dial still look the best. Well, different people different taste  smile.gif
I am new to Speedy stuff, the old dail is a classic & unbeatable. It's raw. drool.gif
The classic dail looks like a Daytona Zenith, but since i can't afford daytona yet.
I give the 50th Anvi a shot, cost 15k + with no discount. shackz cry.gif
Deciding getting a pre-owned as new is pricy & resale sucks.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
guy73
post Nov 18 2008, 02:26 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

any G-SHOCK collectors here?
nye79
post Nov 19 2008, 09:23 AM

5 posts

Hello guys,

Need some help here.
i just found my dad's omega constellations and come to know that it is a original one.
i checked with watchmaker and ascertained the model of the watch. it is constellation "pie pan" 1962, cal 561 serial number 19397501 back case 14393 61 SC. the watch is in original state (torn out already but dial still look ok) and not moving (except for if i shake it. always stuck at number 5 or 11).
I am thinking of to revive this watch by sending it for service at either normal shop or omega service center (menara goldhill if correct).
appreciate ur advice.
ckwei
post Nov 22 2008, 11:30 PM

Nacho Man(tm)
969 posts

hey guys, i tried asking at kopitiam but i don't think i'll be able to get much help there so i'll try to seek you guys' assistance here if i may. does anyone know how much an oris tt3 black chrono or a tag heuer link automatic chrono will set me back? i'm interested in finding out the best price possible, not the rrp or msrp. thx in advance for the replies smile.gif

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0263sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:11 AM