post Sep 29 2008, 11:50 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

I am now officially fainted. doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif
cymon
post Sep 29 2008, 04:17 PM

digital artist regenerated
758 posts

QUOTE(magdalene2008 @ Sep 29 2008, 11:50 AM)
I am now officially fainted.  doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif
why?
smile.gif smile.gif

320cbr
post Oct 1 2008, 09:30 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

Haha I really envy you digital painters with wacoms biggrin.gif
I never get the color right >.<

I guess I'll just post another pencil work
no mad shadings here biggrin.gif not sure if it resemble the real person
I'd like some harsh critique so I can improve !

user posted image
frostfox
post Oct 2 2008, 03:39 PM

the end is near
1,601 posts

hi this is my first time here smile.gif i hope you like my wolfy smile.gif

user posted image

azarimy
post Oct 2 2008, 10:45 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

cant see ur image, frostfox!
J.Cheng87
post Oct 3 2008, 12:49 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(mclelun @ Apr 27 2008, 11:50 AM)
azarimy

is that a manual painting using water color?
look nice smile.gif
quite long didnt post here... some of my recent drawings

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
little match girl looks cute...lol...got bigger pieces... give me use as wallpaper smile.gif can? wub.gif
Stereomanic
post Oct 3 2008, 03:48 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

man, if i ever need or have the time for an art tutor, i look for you guys..badamn.
Keiichi
post Oct 4 2008, 08:22 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

Just for the heck of it. Pencils for painting.

user posted image

frostfox
post Oct 4 2008, 08:49 AM

the end is near
1,601 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 2 2008, 10:45 PM)
cant see ur image, frostfox!
original post from
http://www.imfrostfox.com/2008/10/02/boredome/

Added on October 4, 2008, 3:59 pmmy newest user posted image

This post has been edited by frostfox: Oct 4 2008, 03:59 PM
cymon
post Oct 5 2008, 02:47 PM

758 posts

QUOTE(320cbr @ Oct 1 2008, 09:30 AM)
Haha I really envy you digital painters with wacoms biggrin.gif
I never get the color right >.<

I guess I'll just post another pencil work
no mad shadings here biggrin.gif not sure if it resemble the real person
I'd like some harsh critique so I can improve !

user posted image
nice work u got here.
why not try to paint it out?
smile.gif
azarimy
post Oct 6 2008, 09:26 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

i'm thoroughly bored. something's wrong with my tablet. i accidentally dropped a magnet on my tablet, and a portion of the tablet is now screwed. perhaps time to get a new tablet. i've had my graphire 2 for too long hehe.

this is the end product when i tried to figure out the extend of the damage on my tablet:

user posted image

it's grimlock sock boy.
SUSPanadol
post Oct 6 2008, 01:16 PM

Getting Started
211 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 6 2008, 09:26 AM)
i'm thoroughly bored. something's wrong with my tablet. i accidentally dropped a magnet on my tablet, and a portion of the tablet is now screwed. perhaps time to get a new tablet. i've had my graphire 2 for too long hehe.

this is the end product when i tried to figure out the extend of the damage on my tablet:

user posted image

it's grimlock sock boy.
how did you do the scratches?
cymon
post Oct 6 2008, 03:11 PM

758 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 6 2008, 09:26 AM)

user posted image

it's grimlock sock boy.
oh, sad to hear that.
so hav u shop for your new tablet yet? smile.gif
azarimy
post Oct 6 2008, 09:44 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Panadol @ Oct 6 2008, 05:16 AM)
how did you do the scratches?
its part of the ink effects in painter 9.5. it's a scratchy ink brush, which is then topped of with manually scratching the inks with the knife tool to enhance the... urm... scratchiness.

QUOTE(cymon @ Oct 6 2008, 07:11 AM)
oh, sad to hear that.
so hav u shop for your new tablet yet? smile.gif
naah not yet. i'm coming back to msia for christmas. i'll probably shop in lowyat or something.
bem69
post Oct 7 2008, 02:13 AM

K-Bem
2,557 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 6 2008, 09:44 PM)
its part of the ink effects in painter 9.5. it's a scratchy ink brush, which is then topped of with manually scratching the inks with the knife tool to enhance the... urm... scratchiness.
naah not yet. i'm coming back to msia for christmas. i'll probably shop in lowyat or something.
Still lovin' your art style, any tips on how to improve with painter? Tutorials perhaps? I mean I can use painter but it doesn't have that "natural" feel to it.

azarimy
post Oct 7 2008, 10:16 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(bem69 @ Oct 6 2008, 06:13 PM)
Still lovin' your art style, any tips on how to improve with painter? Tutorials perhaps? I mean I can use painter but it doesn't have that "natural" feel to it.
hmmm... i'm not sure how to say this without actually showing u how. certain things are better explained by example rather than description biggrin.gif.

lets start with:

painter is subtly different from photoshop in terms of brushes. basically, what painter does is to imitate natural media as close as possible. this includes how each bristle behaves, the paint mixture and texture, how the paint interacts with the paper, and the paper itself. meaning, u can control the moisture absorption of the paper to produce different results. but i never get to use that.

if u're more of a photoshop user, u tend to immediately adopt photoshop style in painter. nothing wrong with that, but it might be why u cant grasp that natural feel to it. there's no real way to do this, other than to practice, familiarize, and practice again. it took me about 6 months to complete my transition to painter.

what i'm trying to say is, photoshop and painter can both achieve the exact same result. but the method of achieving can be very different. there are brushes in PS that could easily imitate acrylic on knife effects. painter on the other hand attempts to mathematically recreate the acrylic on knife effects. u may need to manually mix the colours gradually in PS, but painter will mix the colours just as the it would mix in the real world.

susah gila nak explain without demo tongue.gif
cymon
post Oct 7 2008, 11:34 AM

758 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 7 2008, 10:16 AM)
hmmm... i'm not sure how to say this without actually showing u how. certain things are better explained by example rather than description biggrin.gif.

lets start with:

painter is subtly different from photoshop in terms of brushes. basically, what painter does is to imitate natural media as close as possible. this includes how each bristle behaves, the paint mixture and texture, how the paint interacts with the paper, and the paper itself. meaning, u can control the moisture absorption of the paper to produce different results. but i never get to use that.

if u're more of a photoshop user, u tend to immediately adopt photoshop style in painter. nothing wrong with that, but it might be why u cant grasp that natural feel to it. there's no real way to do this, other than to practice, familiarize, and practice again. it took me about 6 months to complete my transition to painter.

what i'm trying to say is, photoshop and painter can both achieve the exact same result. but the method of achieving can be very different. there are brushes in PS that could easily imitate acrylic on knife effects. painter on the other hand attempts to mathematically recreate the acrylic on knife effects. u may need to manually mix the colours gradually in PS, but painter will mix the colours just as the it would mix in the real world.

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif agree wit tat.
bem69
post Oct 7 2008, 06:21 PM

K-Bem
2,557 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 7 2008, 10:16 AM)

lets start with:

Thanks very much for the explanation, you're right, I don't feel the difference of painter and photoshop (besides blender), but that's probably because I use it like photoshop. I think I need to just paint, paint and paint more on Painter to get to your level. But seriously, great explanation. I know I'll probably take longer since I don't do natural media, but I'll have to try. Thanks again.
azarimy
post Oct 8 2008, 03:24 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

familiarizing with painter:

workspace

one thing u might wanna try when u start playing with painter is to customize ur workspace. photoshop also allows u to do this, although painter is much more intuitive.

user posted image
By azarimy

the image above is my workspace. pretty simple. i just sort all the brushes that i frequently use into groups and arrange them around the workspace. u can see the pencils window, inks, acrylics, blenders, oils and knives.

to create ur own brush shortcuts, just pick a brush u like, and drag and drop onto the workspace. a new group will be created. drag more brushes into the same group if u want, or create a new group.

shortcuts

ok, if u're used to PS, then this will need the most getting used to. one thing i like about painter is that they grouped all the shortcuts at the bottom part of the keyboard. u dont have to lift ur left hand at all.

space - pan
c - crop/select
v - straight line using the selected brush
b - analog brush (the usual brush strokes)
n - eraser
m - magnify (zoom)
l - lasso
k - fill
backspace - undo

i hardly use the rest. but one of the biggest thing that PS cant do, is arbitrarily rotating the canvas at ease. the shortcut is:

space + alt + mouse drag

what it does is to rotate the canvas on-the-fly just as when u draw on paper. so instead of rotating ur tablet (which can be very bulky), u rotate ur canvas. it's brilliant. in PS, u gotta access the drop down menu and u'd have to key in the degree of rotation. try it to know what i really mean by how easy this shortcut is!
bem69
post Oct 8 2008, 07:01 AM

K-Bem
2,557 posts

Thanks for the screenshot, so that's how many different brushes you use per artwork. That's crazy, I just use one brush per category most of the time. I see you got the colour mixing thing going on as well. The shortcuts are much needed (THANKS!) and the ability to rotate the canvas on the fly is great compared to photoshop's cumbersome manual angle input.

125 Pages « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0304sec    0.55    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 PM