Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fighting Spider Hunting Adventures, Share your nature experience

views

GT4671
post Apr 21 2008, 10:34 AM

6 posts

I am originally from New York and we had jumping spiders all over the place there. I used to catch them in a big coffee can and watch them fight. I was amazed at how vicious those tiny little things could be. I live in Arizona now and we don't have jumping spiders here. We have black widows and scorpions. I miss the jumping spiders!
GT4671
post Apr 22 2008, 10:30 AM

6 posts

Yo man! At last you post here after giving so many comments on the clips on youtube! Welcome here man!

Those are Phidippus species i suppose since they are commonly found in US.

Black widows... the deadliest of spiders? It would be freaky scary to try to handle them.

Yo! Yeah, I finally made my way here to post. We definitely have the Phidippus species in both New York and Texas. They are every bit as eager to fight as the ones you have. The ones I caught were always in the cracks on the outside of my house. I rarely saw them on leaves or trees. They were always nesting on the outside of the house. As for Black Widows, I don't touch them. My spider catching days are over with, but seeing the jumping spiders that you and your friends have brought back a lot of good memories for me.

This post has been edited by GT4671: Apr 22 2008, 10:35 AM
GT4671
post Apr 27 2008, 12:47 PM

6 posts

What is "chop" anyways?
GT4671
post Apr 28 2008, 03:05 AM

6 posts

I ask again....what is a "chop" when you are referring to a spider? mindstorm AKA Adrian, this picture is what I saw a lot of in New York.

user posted image

Obviously this is a female and the males have the same white color pattern on them, but their butts are smaller. I also saw jumping spiders with orange spots.

This post has been edited by GT4671: Apr 28 2008, 03:05 AM
GT4671
post Apr 28 2008, 06:02 AM

6 posts

Most spiders are boring if they're not jumping spiders. Thanks for the info, I understand the "chop" theory now. The pic I posted is a Phiddipus, and that's a female and was one of many caught by me when I lived in NY. As I mentioned, some others had orange spots instead of white. I even saw grey colored jumping spiders, and they were always smaller than the black ones, although I can't find them on the net anywhere.
GT4671
post Oct 14 2008, 03:31 AM

6 posts

Here are a couple of links to the jumping spiders that I saw and collected for years in New York. These aren't my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrzSSpEl6Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgA5agjpbk&feature=related

And look at this beauty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKPGDBe0xg&feature=related

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1003sec    0.36    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:44 AM