149 Pages « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fighting Spider Hunting Adventures, Share your nature experience

views

TSmindstorm
post Sep 19 2008, 02:03 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

Monday afternoon i went for a trip in familar grounds to look for some jumpers. I was determined to get some large species so I had to look around non-fs areas. Scounted around tree trunks and saw some small non-familiar jumpers.
The spider on the right, with its thin legs, doesn't look like a jumper(more like a wolf spider) but believe me, it had 2 large frontal eyes like all jumpers. But i think it probably runs more than jump.
Attached Image Attached Image
I did end up in some familiar looking areas where fs can be found. Found a average sized male on this kelapa tree but it jumped and escaped deep into the creepers below.
Didn't stayed long in one place. Went scounting and finally searched around some large leaves ornamental places.
Attached Image
Hoho, I found back a species I liked. Bavias. Found a couple more in some tall large-leaves plants. In the end I got 3 juveniles. No adults. Bavias can live among fs areas and all of them seems to lepak in between 2 large leaves like fs. However the leaves are not webbed together. Bavias can be extremely difficult to find. But surprisely, they were extremely easy to catch. their movement are slow and deliberate like Hyllus. While they can pack a jump, they don't easily get frightened. That's to their disadvantage but to my advantage. hehe.
Attached Image
I also searched in some of these plants below and found a "spider bandar". It's big compared to fs.
Attached Image
Back home, here are my new pets from monday's hunt.
Candy, a girl.
Torpedo, a boy.
Bullet, a smaller boy. Candy and Torpedo were confident enough to make their nest in the open but Bullet was more shy and nested under the plastic card.
Attached Image
All of them took to my hand as if they lived on it. Very hand friendly and didn't need any getting used to. Even better than fs. Been feeding them with the pinheads I have.

The "Spider Bandar" gave me a hard time taking pictures of it. It was bloody jumpy and wouldn't stay put.
Attached Image
It's common name is called Larger Housefly Catcher, Plexippus paykulli (Savingny & Audouin) 1825 as depicted in
<a href='http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/s...us_paykulli.htm' target='_blank'>http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/s...us_paykulli.htm</a>. Same genus as the common housefly catcher we commonly see in our house. http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/s...pus_petersi.htm
I measured its tail tip to head(exclude legs), came to 8mm.
Compare its sized to a fairly sized female fs.
Attached Image

Added on September 19, 2008, 2:31 am
QUOTE(King Kong Pao @ Sep 18 2008, 11:17 AM)
Hi centaurfly and all bros  .. I am sg too.. used to catch almost everyday after school .. didnt know they still exist this days.. he he.. wanna organise catching spiders trip tom. .. i am off.. Daniel 8200 8000.. pls reply..
Tell us ur stories. smile.gif

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Sep 19 2008, 02:31 AM
King Kong Pao
post Sep 20 2008, 01:18 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(mindstorm @ Sep 19 2008, 02:03 AM)
Monday afternoon i went for  a trip in familar grounds to look for some jumpers. I was determined to get some large species so I had to look around non-fs areas. Scounted around tree trunks and saw some small non-familiar jumpers.
The spider on the right, with its thin legs, doesn't look like a jumper(more like a wolf spider) but believe me, it had 2 large frontal eyes like all jumpers. But i think it probably runs more than jump.
I did end up in some familiar looking areas where fs can be found. Found a average sized male on this kelapa tree but it jumped and escaped deep into the creepers below.
Didn't stayed long in one place. Went scounting and finally searched around some large leaves ornamental places.
Attached Image
Hoho, I found back a species I liked. Bavias. Found a couple more in some tall large-leaves plants. In the end I got 3 juveniles. No adults. Bavias can live among fs areas and all of them seems to lepak in between 2 large leaves like fs. However the leaves are not webbed together. Bavias can be extremely difficult to find. But surprisely, they were extremely easy to catch. their movement are slow and deliberate like Hyllus. While they can pack a jump, they don't easily get frightened. That's to their disadvantage but to my advantage. hehe.
Attached Image
I also searched in some of these plants below and found a "spider bandar". It's big compared to fs.
Attached Image
Back home, here are my new pets from monday's hunt.
Candy, a girl.
Torpedo, a boy.
Bullet, a smaller boy. Candy and Torpedo were confident enough to make their nest in the open but Bullet was more shy and nested under the plastic card.
Attached Image
All of them took to my hand as if they lived on it. Very hand friendly and didn't need any getting used to. Even better than fs. Been feeding them with the pinheads I have.

The "Spider Bandar" gave me a hard time taking pictures of it. It was bloody jumpy and wouldn't stay put.
Attached Image
It's common name is called Larger Housefly Catcher, Plexippus paykulli (Savingny & Audouin) 1825 as depicted in
<a href='http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/s...us_paykulli.htm' target='_blank'>http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/s...us_paykulli.htm</a>. Same genus as the common housefly catcher we commonly see in our house. http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/s...pus_petersi.htm
I measured its tail tip to head(exclude legs), came to 8mm.
Compare its sized to a fairly sized female fs.
Attached Image

Added on September 19, 2008, 2:31 am

Tell us ur stories. smile.gif
hi guys..

I was off yeaterday.. and was really excited about the trip.. bro centaurfly name me a few places to hunt for our spidey friends, as i was staying in toa payoh, i decided to go back to my old hunting ground when i was in primary/secondary sch. the area is near the old toa payoh hospital .. i even put on a jeans and tracking boots.. in case kena bitten by snakes hehe.. but i remember when i was younger we didnt even bother about wearing jeans and all, we just wore shorts and slippers (quite scary to think of it now) yikes!!

Items i brought - scissors
- 3 nos. clear plastic bags
- 2 nos. containers

Location - thomson rd/toa payoh hospital
- Macritchie reservoir

Time - 1330hrs - 1530 hrs

weather - Sunny

And i am off! It seems that 20yrs seems to change quite a bit, not so dense anymore, sigh sad.gif since i am already here just give it a shot! as usual looking for two leaves that stick together, found one after a while, ah.. my chance! only to be disapointed by ants crawling inside sad.gif saw another one , turn out to be a small female FS, ok not too bad i think, if there is female there is sure to be male FS. I proceed for another hour, still empty handed! So i decided to dump this place and go to the next..

hoping to be lucky there, i took a taxi there as my wife is using the car, got there have no idea where to start shocking.gif jus started walking looking for bushes that is near the drain ( water for the spidey and food ) hunt for another one and a half hour still empty handed !! as it was getting very hot i decided to walk home sad.gif probably dunno the exact location.. will try lower pierce reservoir next week.. at least for that one is behind the petrol kiosk.. sorry guys to have bored you with 0 spidey..

TSmindstorm
post Sep 20 2008, 10:33 PM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(King Kong Pao @ Sep 20 2008, 01:18 PM)
hi guys..

I was off yeaterday.. and was really excited about the trip.. bro centaurfly name me a few places to hunt for our spidey friends, as i was staying in toa payoh, i decided to go back to my old hunting ground when i was in primary/secondary sch. the area is near the old toa payoh hospital .. i even put on a jeans and tracking boots.. in case kena bitten by snakes hehe.. but i remember when i was younger we didnt even bother about wearing jeans and all, we just wore shorts and slippers (quite scary to think of it now) yikes!!

Items i brought -  scissors
                                    -  3 nos. clear plastic bags
                                    -  2 nos. containers

Location           -  thomson rd/toa payoh hospital
                                    -  Macritchie reservoir

Time                -  1330hrs - 1530 hrs

weather           -   Sunny

And i am off!  It seems that  20yrs seems to change quite a bit, not so dense anymore, sigh sad.gif  since i am already here just give it a shot! as usual looking for two leaves that stick together, found one after a while, ah.. my chance! only to be disapointed by ants crawling inside sad.gif  saw another one , turn out to be a small female FS, ok not too bad i think, if there is female there is sure to be male FS. I proceed for another hour, still empty handed!  So i decided to dump this place and go to the next..

hoping to be lucky there, i took a taxi there as my wife is using the car, got there have no idea where to start shocking.gif  jus started walking looking for bushes that is near the drain ( water for the spidey and food ) hunt for another one and a half hour still empty handed !! as it was getting very hot i decided to walk home sad.gif  probably dunno the exact location.. will try lower pierce reservoir next week.. at least for that one is behind the petrol kiosk.. sorry guys to have bored you with 0 spidey..
Keep going, and you'll have better luck next time.

Added on September 20, 2008, 10:36 pmCan't get enuf of jumpers? Take a look at arachnoboards esp this tread. These 2 pages particularly have awesome pics.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread...?t=38262&page=9
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread...t=38262&page=10

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Sep 20 2008, 10:36 PM
TSmindstorm
post Sep 21 2008, 12:12 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

Tuesday, my off day, afternoon was a lazy one where I spent sleeping at my in-laws after doing some shopping in the morning. So coming 4 pm I decided to explore the area there while the rest of the people in the house was dozing. Didn't know my in-laws actually lived very near to a actual forest reserve. I found a road which lead up to a path leading into the reserve. Damn, this is no abandon estate or undevelop wasteland. This is actual "hutan belantara"/jungle. The growth is bloody thick, huge trees and you know this is real jungle by the sound... the sort of distance echoy chirping of various insects. If ppl tell me to be careful here, I'll definately heed their advice. I wouldn't go in without a parang and thick boots, and definately not alone!
I was only at the edge, as there were some dogs kept in cages along the side of the path leading inside. I think they are used for hunting. I asked my wife later back in the house about the area and she said where we were sitting, ppl used to hunt for wild boars. Confirmed.
I hung around the path, looking at the interesting atropod world.
A nest with crab spider slings bursting out.
Attached Image
I saw this ant spider scurrying around on a huge leaf, on closer examination i realized it was actually eating, not sucking, but actually eating rather quickly very tiny insects also scurrying on the leaf surface. It grabs like 1-2 insects per second. Amazing.
After about 20min browsing the edge, I decided to move into the greens a bit more. There were some tall large-leaves human-planted ornamental plants there. It was a heavily shaded patch of land.
Because there were few plants growing under this sunlight-deprived spot, I quickly found one with a nest.
Whoa, there is a large unknown jumper with eggs inside. I took the whole plant back. Unknown jumper 1.
Very soon I found another, but this time the nest is more tightly woven and can't really see the spidey inside. Looks like a Plexippus paykulli. Took it back. Unknown jumper 2.
Still early, I slowly moved around the area. Some plants recently cleared. But I was dangerously close to what looks like a deep hole superficially covered by fallen plants. Wonder what lurks beneath. A look at the growth.
I went back to under the shaded area and decided to do the smart thing - observe leaves against the sunlight.
Hold and behold! Right thing to do. I spotted a huge shadow!
Hello...
Attached Image
I slowly took a large tranparent pill container and covered that guy...and then suddenly, it jumped right into the container and went berserk!! It was smashing itself hard against the container wall and in a split second, before i could even pull back my hand to close the container with the cover in my other hand, it sprang right out and onto my forearm. Although i was not startled, for a moment i thot i might get bitten. But it jumped away and hit leaf litter. Damn, this guy is strong and lighting fast.
Well, I slowly searched the litter and found it again, trying hard not to be seen. After a few powerful jumps, I finally got it. Whoa...what a fella. It has one arm missing. Unknown spider 3.
A while later I saw another a small one perched on some fallen twigs. Unknown spider 4.
Attached Image
It was around 6 when a couple of guys came to the dog area. The saw me but didn't say anything. But after a while one guy walked up and told me he was going to let the dogs loose. I friendly introduced myself as nature love but took the hint and left. There were no sign or fence to say that was private land and the spot i was at is just a few meters from the parking of a low cost flat. I figure these guys just sort of claim the area for their hunting purposes.
Back in my in-laws, while bathing, I found out I brought another friend back. I felt it on my back while soaping. You got it...a leech. Two tiny wounds on my leg were still bleeding and the inside of my tracks were blood soaked.
Pics half an hour later, still bleeding.
Astonishing such a small minute wound would spill so much blood. Powerful anticoagulants.
Attached Image

Back at my own home, here's unknown spider 3 - Berserk.
Notice the "brush" of hairs on the underside of its forearm.
He measures 11mm in head to tip of tail(the pic shows 10mm cuz of the angle). It loses to the last Bavia female i had(17mm) in length because its abdomen is much shorter than the elongate Bavia. But the head size is the same i think.
Attached Image
Compare to "Spider Bandar". No fight.
Attached Image
Crab. Unknown 1 died. While observing it in the wild, I noticed it was weak and unresponsive with legs curled in. Back home, i found it dead outside its nest with a flat abdomen. This must be the female species given the close proximity, similar size and head structure. It has a white centre streak down its head.
10.5mm
Attached Image

Unknown 2 in nest changed skin back home! What spider it holds?
Holy cow, another male of the same species. A slightly smaller one. I measured it at 10mm.
Notice the small abdomen against the big head. Last pic shows its alert stance. I'll name him Nightmare.

Unknown 4 also died for er..unknown reason. Now I'm keeping this 2 males( i think) of an unknown species.
They are doing well, and are strong fly eaters. Berserk eaten till its tummy is fat while Nightmare had taken a smaller fly and a leafhopper. Later when i have time i will post a clip on them. Meantime, can anyone ID this species? I can't seem to find anything on it on the net except maybe this clip that looks like the same species.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruugXsFoBUc

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Sep 21 2008, 01:11 AM
viper88
post Sep 24 2008, 11:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,359 posts

Berserk and Nightmare hmmm.. nice name. These 2 spiders kinda scary, big size and more like killer spiders.. spiders tat only kill other insects/spiders for food.

You switching to Bravia and other species of spider liao.. Going to let them test fight each other?
So far i haven't seen Bravia fighting among their own species.

icon_rolleyes.gif Cheers, icon_rolleyes.gif
v_viper88

TSmindstorm
post Sep 26 2008, 12:37 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(viper88 @ Sep 24 2008, 11:29 PM)
Berserk and Nightmare hmmm.. nice name. These 2 spiders kinda scary, big size and more like killer spiders.. spiders tat only kill other insects/spiders for food.

You switching to Bravia and other species of spider liao.. Going to let them test fight each other?
So far i haven't seen Bravia fighting among their own species.

v_viper88
I'm still keeping nicey and a couple of fs females. Actually for fs, I'm in research mode. Yea, I beginning to find other jumpers very interesting too. Bavia too small to fight. Maybe i'll square off Berserk and Nightmare to see how they respond to each other. But right now I'm just keeping them. Very interesting to watch these large jumpers catch their live food. There was once Nightmare spotted a roach(about 3/4 its own size) from half way across the cage. The roach was a strong and fast one. The roach was resting on the top corner of the cage. Nightmare stalk all the way carefully treading among the leaves and branches of the plant inside the cage and then when near enough, pounch upwards on it and held on to it while dangling from its web. Its fangs impaled onto the side of the roach. Pretty incredible. Unfortunately i didn't take the clip then. yeah, large jumpers are awesome on their own.
TSmindstorm
post Sep 27 2008, 12:13 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

Sleeping shots of Plexippus
Berserk sleeping
Attached Image
Black ants moving their eggs after i watered one of my potted plants
Attached Image

Added on September 27, 2008, 1:36 amHere's Berserk attempting to catch a large fly. It was one of those strong, fast flying type of flies we sometimes encounter at home or at rubbish dump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVJokx4CAU&fmt=18

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Sep 27 2008, 01:36 AM
viper88
post Sep 29 2008, 04:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,359 posts

I only likes to play with fighting spiders. Other species of spider not so interesting for me.
Hows ur FS rearing project goin? Looking forward to see King Kong fs from ur breeding project.

Get spider lily or pandan leaves plant for ur fs habitat place.

v_viper88

This post has been edited by viper88: Sep 29 2008, 04:56 PM
centaurfly
post Sep 30 2008, 10:05 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(mindstorm @ Sep 27 2008, 12:13 AM)
Sleeping shots of Plexippus
Berserk sleeping
Attached Image
Black ants moving their eggs after i watered one of my potted plants
Attached Image

Added on September 27, 2008, 1:36 amHere's Berserk attempting to catch a large fly. It was one of those strong, fast flying type of flies we sometimes encounter at home or at rubbish dump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVJokx4CAU&fmt=18
Berserk looks like a Telamonia sp. I found a similar looking spider from this HongKong spider site. The head shape and body is very similar, but the colourations are not.

http://www.hkwildlife.net/viewthread.php?t...&extra=page%3D1
Mangrovejumper
post Oct 5 2008, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

I managed to find some time to get a few pics of the female jumper I got from Yosemite National Park. It's not much, but at least I got some contribution into this thread. biggrin.gif

Yosemite has some big redwood trees. They are so big that people look like toothpicks standing under them if I am to capture the top of the tree in a picture.
Attached Image

I found a nest not too far from a wet meadow. It had hatched slings residing with the small female. There was a bear cub looking for food there, so we didn't linger for long, fearing that the mother bear may be nearby.
Attached Image

For lack of a better name, I called her "Female". I got her in a big cereal container. She hardly comes out and I think she ate all the slings in there.
Attached Image

Feeding time.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Mangrovejumper: Oct 6 2008, 08:15 AM
TSmindstorm
post Oct 7 2008, 10:03 PM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(Mangrovejumper @ Oct 5 2008, 03:38 PM)
I managed to find some time to get a few pics of the female jumper I got from Yosemite National Park.  It's not much, but at least I got some contribution into this thread.   biggrin.gif   

Yosemite has some big redwood trees.  They are so big that people look like toothpicks standing under them if I am to capture the top of the tree in a picture. 
Attached Image

I found a nest not too far from a wet meadow.  It had hatched slings residing with the small female.  There was a bear cub looking for food there, so we didn't linger for long, fearing that the mother bear may be nearby.
Attached Image

For lack of a better name, I called her "Female".  I got her in a big cereal container.  She hardly comes out and I think she ate all the slings in there.
Attached Image

Feeding time.
Attached Image
The redwood trees looks majestic. Eye awing. Wah, got wild bear...that's dangerous. What if one comes charging outa nowhere?
The photo of Female too dark, can't see what species it is? Is it big?

Added on October 7, 2008, 10:07 pm
QUOTE(centaurfly @ Sep 30 2008, 10:05 AM)
Berserk looks like a Telamonia sp. I found a similar looking spider from this HongKong spider site. The head shape and body is very similar, but the colourations are not.

http://www.hkwildlife.net/viewthread.php?t...&extra=page%3D1
I don't think it is Telamonia sp. It looks old world. Maybe Maevia as someone suggested to me in arachnoboards.
I couldn't see the link you give cuz the site requires some id and I don't know how to read chinese.

Added on October 7, 2008, 10:09 pm
QUOTE(viper88 @ Sep 29 2008, 04:53 PM)
I only likes to play with fighting spiders. Other species of spider not so interesting for me.
Hows ur FS rearing project goin? Looking forward to see King Kong fs from ur breeding project.

Get spider lily or pandan leaves plant for ur fs habitat place.

v_viper88
Is is slow for sure. What I try to do is to gather more information about their life cycle.
Err... these 2 plants to big for my small enclosure.

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Oct 7 2008, 10:09 PM
heloelaine
post Oct 8 2008, 08:56 PM

Casual
350 posts

i remember i caught a few when i was young...
but with current environment, it's hard to find spiders like this...
keep up the good work TS..
vioxmonsta
post Oct 10 2008, 05:01 PM

Getting Started
287 posts

omg
dint realise TS made this thread
recalling back childhood memories
u need skills n tactics to capture these spiders
really did made me recalled back load of stuff
lol good job TS.

cheers rclxms.gif
GT4671
post Oct 14 2008, 03:31 AM

6 posts

Here are a couple of links to the jumping spiders that I saw and collected for years in New York. These aren't my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrzSSpEl6Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgA5agjpbk&feature=related

And look at this beauty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKPGDBe0xg&feature=related
viper88
post Oct 22 2008, 12:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,359 posts

Saw this video in youtube just now.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMa9FdNM5io&NR=1

Fighting spider mate style even better.. icon_idea.gif

v_viper88

This post has been edited by viper88: Oct 22 2008, 12:06 AM
TSmindstorm
post Oct 22 2008, 07:06 PM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(heloelaine @ Oct 8 2008, 08:56 PM)
i remember i caught a few when i was young...
but with current environment, it's hard to find spiders like this...
keep up the good work TS..
thanks, viper is the one contributing the most clips.
still can find lots in malaysia, but must go away from developed areas

Added on October 22, 2008, 7:08 pm
QUOTE(vioxmonsta @ Oct 10 2008, 05:01 PM)
omg
dint realise TS made this thread
recalling back childhood memories
u need skills n tactics to capture these spiders
really did made me recalled back load of stuff
lol good job TS.
cheers rclxms.gif
thanks, i remember when i was small i wanted to write a book about catching fighting spiders. My fren and I did write a book about spiders in general though during primary school for a class project. But now the web is the best... can show clips. rclxm9.gif

Added on October 22, 2008, 7:09 pm
QUOTE(GT4671 @ Oct 14 2008, 03:31 AM)
Here are a couple of links to the jumping spiders that I saw and collected for years in New York.  These aren't my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrzSSpEl6Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgA5agjpbk&feature=related

And look at this beauty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKPGDBe0xg&feature=related
Yeah, Phiddipus has a lot of fans. They are traded in some places in the states. Not planning to get one?

Added on October 22, 2008, 7:16 pm
QUOTE(viper88 @ Oct 22 2008, 12:03 AM)
Saw this video in youtube just now.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMa9FdNM5io&NR=1

Fighting spider mate style even better..  icon_idea.gif
v_viper88
cool video. the male kena chop by the female.

I have since let go Berserk and Nightmare back to their original place after keeping them for 2 weeks. They leapt happily away. They are not fierce fighters, prefering to avoid each other.

Now I'm still keeping the Bavia trio, a couple of female fs and a Hyllus semicurpeous.

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Oct 22 2008, 07:16 PM
viper88
post Oct 23 2008, 05:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,359 posts

Saw a male FS at my front house garden today. I didnt catch it.
Attached Image

Hows ur FS aquarium goin on?

v_viper88

ngkl99
post Oct 24 2008, 01:39 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(mindstorm @ Oct 22 2008, 07:06 PM)
thanks, viper is the one contributing the most clips.
still can find lots in malaysia, but must go away from developed areas

Added on October 22, 2008, 7:08 pm

thanks, i remember when i was small i wanted to write a book about catching fighting spiders. My fren and I did write a book about spiders in general though during primary school for a class project. But now the web is the best... can show clips.  rclxm9.gif

Added on October 22, 2008, 7:09 pm

Yeah, Phiddipus has a lot of fans. They are traded in some places in the states. Not planning to get one?

Added on October 22, 2008, 7:16 pm

cool video. the male kena chop by the female.

I have since let go Berserk and Nightmare back to their original place after keeping them for 2 weeks. They leapt happily away. They are not fierce fighters, prefering to avoid each other.

Now I'm still keeping the Bavia trio, a couple of female fs and a Hyllus semicurpeous.

Added on October 24, 2008, 1:40 pmviper & minstorm
no FS fighting video recently?

This post has been edited by ngkl99: Oct 24 2008, 01:40 PM
TSmindstorm
post Oct 27 2008, 01:38 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(viper88 @ Oct 23 2008, 05:05 PM)
Saw a male FS at my front house garden today. I didnt catch it.
Attached Image

Hows ur FS aquarium goin on?

v_viper88
Big male?

Here's my DIY jumper sactuary. Took me several weeks of ad hoc planning and thinking to make in my spare time. It's a combination of many materials and widgets. The whole back of this cage is fine netting(also 3/4 of the top), so the inside is well-ventilated.
Attached Image
With several openings so I can put live feed in without having to open the main door lest insects inside fly out when they are plentiful.
There is a small blank ant colony inside, and also breeding fruit flies. So I don't bother feeding the spideys inside.
I am still waiting for it to mature so that the money plant which i planted at the back can grow up onto the bamboo support i placed and fill up the top part of the cage. The base is a strong plastic tub filled with black soil for a sturdy base. Hence i don't move it around, although it is light enough(but still pretty heavy) to be carried alone should i wish to.

Here is one of the female staying in a rather peculiar nest. Between the flower of the fern and one of the fern's leaf.
Attached Image
Because the jagged flower cone is sandwiched in between the white single petal and the leaf, the female used it as one of her walls.
Attached Image

Added on October 27, 2008, 1:43 am
QUOTE(ngkl99 @ Oct 24 2008, 01:39 PM)

Added on October 24, 2008, 1:40 pmviper & minstorm
no FS fighting video recently?
Heh, guess we're sorta taking a break.

Added on October 27, 2008, 1:51 amSomeone nickedname alexnsally messaged me in youtube couple of days back
-----------------------------------------------------
spider fighting
hi bro,i saw the videos u posted in youtube. that was cool...me n a group of frens was spiders lover too...we picked up tis hobbies again after seeing the videos...well we got a few good size spiders waiting for challenge. just for fun anyway...haha

-----------------------------------------------------
Glad to see this hobby now and then being relived and enjoyed. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by mindstorm: Oct 27 2008, 01:51 AM
chastise
post Oct 28 2008, 09:54 PM

Over the rainbow
1,555 posts

wow..i used to hunt for it in pandan leaves area..
but it's really hard to look for it now..

149 Pages « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0365sec    0.33    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:46 PM