Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hermit Crabs version 2.0, All about land and sea hermit crabs.

views

Jamien
post Apr 24 2008, 10:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,647 posts

QUOTE(onscreen @ Apr 24 2008, 09:44 PM)
Fighting is rare for my crabs.. dominant one? Its all of it, since everyone have the same favorite spot. Once all the crab wanted to be on the same spot, they would just climb up on each other. Food sharing is a problem, sometimes they push around, sometimes and tear abit and hug it.. still never see them fight.

btw Jamien, you name all your crabs sushi related? Cant wait to see Tamago and Tempura to be added in the family tongue.gif:P

Added on April 24, 2008, 9:48 pmI did recommend all tanks should have a "second floor" for the crabs, I had mine build with drift wood and artificial vein that hooks up to the tank's cover so that they would climb upside down whenever they want ( of cause having the lid close tight biggrin.gif )

Alternative solution is to use hemp net to make extra space above.
biggrin.gif Actually yar, all sushi related. My first one is Sushi lor. Cuz it's the first time I rear things from the sea besides fish. Then the second is unagi. He's quite dark despite he moult a not ehence his name. Got takoyaki lar. She's medium sized but likes big shells. Maker her look round. then Wasabi lor. She's a mean feisty crabbie. She tried to pinch me when I help her up. But she looks really pretty. wub.gif
blitzboy
post Apr 25 2008, 10:34 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

At the moment hermit crabs both land hermit crabs and sea hermit crabs are not available in aquarium shops.

According to some traders, land hermit crabs aren't difficult to keep for hobbyist. However to them(the petshop business owners), it is a business environment where there are many other pets for sale in their shops, therefore keeping hermit crabs alive and healthy seems to be an easy task, will also add loads to the everyday business operations. Resulting high death rate to the hermit crabs before they can be sold to customers.

Therefore resulting hermit crabs livestock is a "ONE OFF" business. Meaning the livestock arrive at the shop for sale, when it is sold out, then that's it. Try your luck in waiting and hoping for another batch of livestock.

Some hermit crabs are sold to real experience keepers like us, the crab happily live and blend in to our home environment, while others are sold to parents as a gift to their kids may result to improper care and the hermit crab die from stressful and non-adaptive environment that is cruel.

As for me, releasing them back into the wild, gives me a happy memories. I released them at night, and seeing them crawling on the beach rejoining other hermit crabs colony in that beach is really an experience that money can't buy.

This post has been edited by blitzboy: Apr 25 2008, 10:54 PM
Jamien
post Apr 26 2008, 01:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,647 posts

I thought the Jusco home centre got sell hermit crabs?
blitzboy
post Apr 26 2008, 09:49 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(Jamien @ Apr 26 2008, 01:49 AM)
I thought the Jusco home centre got sell hermit crabs?
You mean that shop that links with Eneos car care shop, on the lower floor ,right ? Yes they do sell hermit crabs. As I said before unlike some pets that are regularly available, hermit crabs are not always available in pet shops. One my last visit to that shop, they only put up the shells on the display, no more hermit crabs for sale. That was somewhere in March 2008.

This post has been edited by blitzboy: Apr 26 2008, 09:50 AM
Jamien
post Apr 26 2008, 12:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,647 posts

QUOTE(blitzboy @ Apr 26 2008, 09:49 AM)
You mean that shop that links with Eneos car care shop, on the lower floor ,right ? Yes they do sell hermit crabs. As I said before unlike some pets that are regularly available, hermit crabs are not always available in pet shops. One my last visit to that shop, they only put up the shells on the display, no more hermit crabs for sale. That was somewhere in March 2008.
OIC. Maybe I mistaken lar. I saw shells in the display tank so I thought it was.
blitzboy
post Apr 28 2008, 02:46 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

Some pics of my marine hermit crabs.

Photos are blurry due to algae growing on the tank glass.
Algae are also natural food to the hermit crabs.

Some are open for adoption for a small price. For more information please click here.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by blitzboy: Apr 28 2008, 02:52 AM
Jamien
post Apr 30 2008, 01:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,647 posts

I thought algae was bad for hermit crabs? That's why we have to keep their tank nice and clean?
blitzboy
post May 1 2008, 02:40 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(Jamien @ Apr 30 2008, 01:51 AM)
I thought algae was bad for hermit crabs? That's why we have to keep their tank nice and clean?
for land hermit crab, yes algae is is problem because it makes the tank dirty.

however for sea hermit crab, it also sometimes feed on the algae
tanling26
post May 3 2008, 03:31 PM

Casual
474 posts

I bought 5 at pasar malam. within 2 weeks all die... sad.gif
blitzboy
post May 3 2008, 08:54 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(tanling26 @ May 3 2008, 03:31 PM)
I bought 5 at pasar malam. within 2 weeks all die... sad.gif
i think those sold at pasar malam are land hermit crab. Normally they are quite hardy and able to survive harsh conditions.
At the beach, it is full of sand and it is very cold at night and very hot at day, still land hermit crabs are able to survive.

Pls share with us a photo of how your hermit crabs are kept at your home?

This post has been edited by blitzboy: May 4 2008, 03:59 PM
hyrl
post May 7 2008, 04:52 PM

5 posts

Hi everyone! Believe it or not ... i've just discovered this forum after more than a year of having my own land hermit crabs.

Just quickly ... does anyone knows where Beta Discovery from 1U have moved? I need to get the crab food : HAGEN CRABWORX. My hermits won't eat other pellets except for this. Just a few days ago, i tried feeding them with my cat food from Blackwood. tongue.gif Am also feeding them fruits and others at same time. Please help...anyone ... much appreciated!
hyrl
post May 7 2008, 05:09 PM

5 posts

Let's see if i can upload the pics here. I've not done this before ... duhhh

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
tkt
post May 7 2008, 07:03 PM

Casual
336 posts

my hometown is fishing village, last time when trapping crab, 4 sure will get hermitcrab as well.

well, if any1 of u wanna get free hermit crab, can PM me. if i go back hometown, will get it if any1 interested....
TSonscreen
post May 7 2008, 11:14 PM

Nomby
675 posts

QUOTE(hyrl @ May 7 2008, 04:52 PM)
Hi everyone! Believe it or not ... i've just discovered this forum after more than a year of having my own land hermit crabs.

Just quickly ... does anyone knows where Beta Discovery from 1U have moved? I need to get the crab food : HAGEN CRABWORX. My hermits won't eat other pellets except for this. Just a few days ago, i tried feeding them with my cat food from Blackwood. tongue.gif Am also feeding them fruits and others at same time. Please help...anyone ... much appreciated!
Yes Betta Discovery have moved to B1, besides the POS Malaysia. They still sell hermit crabs. Hardly see any small ones these days.

Also nice crabitat you have there. Hagen Crabworx, i used to have those pellets and iirc, betta discovery sell those. Recently i see Hikari brand crab pellets more than other brands i know.

Added on May 7, 2008, 11:21 pm@hyrl - Those sand looks familiar. Are those the Reptisand that is sold in a tin can in 1 ~ 4kg?

This post has been edited by onscreen: May 7 2008, 11:21 PM
hyrl
post May 13 2008, 12:13 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(onscreen @ May 7 2008, 11:14 PM)
Yes Betta Discovery have moved to B1, besides the POS Malaysia. They still sell hermit crabs. Hardly see any small ones these days.

Also nice crabitat you have there. Hagen Crabworx, i used to have those pellets and iirc, betta discovery sell those. Recently i see Hikari brand crab pellets more than other brands i know.

Added on May 7, 2008, 11:21 pm@hyrl - Those sand looks familiar. Are those the Reptisand that is sold in a tin can in 1 ~ 4kg?
Hi Onscreen! Thanks for your reply! Yeayyy! rclxm9.gif This is good news ... i shall rush down there tonight and 'borong' all the Crabworx before they move again. Will look into other brands you mentioned.

Sadly, last night ... my biggest hermit named Zulu in the pic above (with stripe shell) died. cry.gif cry.gif Not too sure why, he was eating well and all. This is sooooo stressful for me. I bought Zulu from Betta Discovery last year.

Oh yeah! The sand? Nope .. it's not Reptisand. It's PEE DEE sand ... <LOL>. We went to PD and brought back 3 pails of beach sand. We even brought back about 20 hermit crabs!!! Need to go to PD again and replenish new sands. My hermits just love their crabitat. I've had about 5 crabs molted in that substrate. I've also bought beach sands from shops selling marine fishes before getting PD sand. thumbup.gif

Onscreen ... is Reptisand good or bad?

Ciaoooo and hope to hear fr you again...

blitzboy
post May 14 2008, 01:38 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

If you go collect sand from the beach be sure to collect the sand from the very clean beach and not from those beach filled with rubbish made by those irresponsible people.

Collecting beach sand is a good idea to built a crabitat that closely replicate hermit crab's natural habitat. It will be a good also to stick an aquarium fan on the top edge of the tank to produce aireation, because hermit crabs do respond to sea breeze in its natural habitat. I believe the windy condition has a positive effect to keep the temperature low, and not too warm or too humid, and your hermit crabs are always active.

This post has been edited by blitzboy: May 14 2008, 01:43 AM
TSonscreen
post May 15 2008, 12:08 AM

Nomby
675 posts

Geez blitzboy made a good point there on the wind. Will try that tomorrow.

Reptisand is actually a processed beach sand and its baked before packed. Reptisand is used in reptiles but its recommended for hermit crabs as well since it have good humidity control and water absorbtion that would keep the sand wet for quite sometime.

Betta Discovery recently no longer sell pellets for hermit crabs. So far from my search, pet shops around in PJ, Pets Family and Pet Lovers Center carry some hermit crab pellets and hermit crabs related items like shell shaped food dish, Reptisand, climbing decorations etc etc.. though stocks is rather limited.
prophet007
post May 15 2008, 12:30 AM

Regular
1,048 posts

LOL..i thought in malaysia only got ruggies? got straw or PP?

and btw, do you really think the wind thing is a good idea? well, aeration is good. but hermies need high humidity (75-78 %) in order for them to breath easily. They cant breath well from dry air. So the whole wind thing will just make the air even drier.

This post has been edited by prophet007: May 15 2008, 12:33 AM
blitzboy
post May 15 2008, 12:36 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

Hi onscreen.
Thanks for supporting my idea. i wish to invite all hermit crab lovers & keepers to try out this simple experiment.

1. First take one of your hermit crab out from it's crabitat.

2. Held it in your hand, and the hermit crab normally will be hiding in the shell.

3. Now, try blowing some air into the opening of the shell. Blowing it little by little from your mouth.

4. The hermit crab will react to the wind entering shell, and the wind passes through its legs. In a matter of seconds the hermit crab will show itself and try to free itself from your grip, because you are holding its shell.

This post has been edited by blitzboy: May 15 2008, 12:37 AM
prophet007
post May 15 2008, 12:41 AM

Regular
1,048 posts

well, maybe the hermies DO react to the wind. so what? i mean in the tank, they need high humidity and IMHO, the wind will just decrease the humidity drastically.

hyrl: just asking, i saw only one water dish in your tank. Is that fresh water (tap water) or salt water?

blitzboy: seriously, your tank was very nice. But do you know that you were keeping them in a wrong way?

First of all, there was too little sand, and I dont think the hermit crabs can have a nice dig and molt perfectly.

Secondly, 40 crabs in a 2 ft tank? That was seriously overcrowded.

Thirdly, you only had one water dish inside your tank and I have no idea whether it was salt water or fresh water. But FYI, hermit crabs need both salt and fresh water in order to survive.

Fourth, the cover of your tank cant even contain humidity. and if you put a fan on it, I must say that your hermit crabs were suffering as they cant breathe easily.

No offence, but if you really want to keep land hermit crabs next time, please do a bit more research.

This post has been edited by prophet007: May 15 2008, 01:01 AM

21 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0212sec    0.21    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:56 PM