Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Pathway to become Lawyer

views

alsree786
post Dec 27 2007, 09:15 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

Following information is for becoming a lawyer in Malaysia...im sorry, have no idea about Australia coz the requirements is state specific, and the US has a whole different system as stated above, coz well, the US is always different from the UK systems...

The fastest route would probably involve taking A levels...they call it pre law and involves one year...this can be done at a number of institutes like atc, mentari, nirwana so on...

The next step depends on three factors.

1) Marks scored in A levels

2) Whether the student wants to go overseas

3) Whether the student wants to do a foreign (incl UOL external) or local law degree

This is of course subjective. In addition there are the scholarship options to think about but i shall not go into detail on that. If u intend to do a foreign degree whether it be from Australia or UK, when u r done u will have to sit for a qualifying certificate. To do so, you must graduate with a minimum of a second lower honours degree.

If however, u do your degree at a local uni such as IIUM or UM, u will not have to sit for a qualifying cert i.e. the CLP but can straight away go for your chambering. However, note that degrees from IIUM and UM take 4 years whereas you can complete a UK law degree in about 3....many ppl agree that the CLP however is very difficult to pass.

Upon completion of the CLP, you must complete a full 9mths of chambering and upon that can apply for membership to the malaysian Bar.

The alternative for the CLP is the Bar Exams taken in the UK at the four different Inns...if u have a recognised qualification and intend to do this course be ready to stay in the UK for a couple of years. The BVC, as it is called alone takes well about 10 mths, but u must, as from 2008, complete your chambering i.e. min of 9 mths working under a qualified lawyer/firm (pupillage) in the UK itself. This is quite hard to do, for usually they'll take local law graduates and the best from the foreign ones, but u can try if u want. Upon completion of your chambering there, you will become a barrister and can apply for membership to a number of commonwealth legal bodies incl the Malaysian Bar.

About opening a consulting firm, well that might take a few years after completion of all this crap...coz you'll probably need to be quite established. anyway, hope this helps...
alsree786
post Dec 27 2007, 10:43 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(Glassy @ Dec 27 2007, 10:27 PM)
Well, if one intends to take the CLP in Malaysia after completing his/her LLB degree in the UK, please bear in mind that only around 30 UK universities are recognized. That's the rough number, based on the MABECS information booklet I received during one of their talks. So, please check to ensure that the university is recognized, before you go.

Also, while the BVC is allowed as a substitute for the CLP qualification at the moment, it may not be so in the near future...there has already been talk about disallowing this practice, so it might be good to pay attention to any updates on this topic, so you can plan accordingly.
yup true, not all uk universities are recognised so one shud check with the malaysian bar website to get a list of recognised uk unis.

i have honestly not heard about talks of the BVC not being recognised in Malaysia anymore, tho there are a few talking about it. Any references...coz in Malaysia, anything can happen suddenly!!
alsree786
post Dec 28 2007, 02:37 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(schizophrenic @ Dec 28 2007, 01:18 AM)

also the Bar Vocational Course is taken at certified providers (currently at 10 locations) and not from the four different Inns.
The Inns are local authorities with the exclusive right to call someone to the English Bar.

haha yeah sorry my mistake, i dunno why i mentioned the Inns...
alsree786
post Dec 28 2007, 02:16 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(huix @ Dec 28 2007, 10:28 AM)

if u intend to come back to malaysia and wanna be in blue ocean, i think u can consider the syariah law also since we may implement it in future tongue.gif
haha funny, "may implement in the future", but u do have a point...syariah law is developing in importance with the growth of islamic banking and the focus on islam with all these worldwide problems...
alsree786
post Dec 28 2007, 11:10 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(kvys2000 @ Dec 28 2007, 03:59 PM)
Err... i think the fastest route would most likely involving taking SAM/Ausmat! I finished SAM this year and is joining last year's A-Level students studying first year nx year. So, I will be one year younger than my other law coursemates I beliv.

But this is a very tricky and risky route. To enable one self to be accepted into UK Unis, one shd obtain a very high TER as told by many. UK Unis don't likely to accept SAM result.

But I last checked, oxbridge accept TER >90
yeah probably, but will depend when u start your A level course. keep forgetting that spm finishes in november...i did o levels so i finished in june. If u start ALE in sept, and finish in june, then no diff betwen sam and ALE, both will start the first year of a UK uni course in sept...furthermore, doing ale would be easier to get into UK uni...

but you're rite, will ultimately depend on when u start ALE...
alsree786
post Jun 22 2009, 12:13 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

the reason why most ppl would recommend A levels is because it is internationally recognised, allows u to enrol in a whole range of unis therefore flexible and takes a min of 1 year. If u take foundation, you will be somewhat tied to that institution. I reckon the institution would have ensured that their foundation is considered a stpm equivalent for admission purposes but i would confirm this with them. i dun see how taking a foundation over a levels will affect your chances at securing a job or opening a firm esp in Malaysia.
alsree786
post Jun 22 2009, 05:04 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(AaZz @ Jun 22 2009, 03:56 PM)
The current a-lvl i am takin is 11 months programe. is it considered a year?
which college is this? i reckon it'll still be considered an academic year...
alsree786
post Aug 28 2009, 10:56 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(edennature @ Aug 28 2009, 09:31 PM)
why you simply took a law degree without referring to relevant board and London Metropolitan is one of the worst university in UK.The only way to let you to become a qualified person is to obtain the title Barrister at law and admit to the Bar of England and Wales.

regard a-levels,you NEED to obtain at least 2 principle passes in a-level.No matter what other qualifications you get,A-Level is a MUST for you to practice in Malaysia.I think you have to take a level once you finish your bar exam.
he already graduated, dun la say his uni is one of the worst in the UK...

anyway, a barrister at law of England is a 'qualified person' under S3 of the lpa 1976. so he wun need a levels if he takes that route....
alsree786
post Sep 4 2011, 02:15 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(amany @ Aug 31 2011, 01:37 PM)
I'm much more interested to become a solicitor. currently I'm studying in an IPTA.

I just want to confirm the pathway. so, once I completed my LLB, I just need to do the pupillage, then called to the bar. right after that, am I qualified to become a solicitor? how about the traineeship? can you explain in detail?

thanks smile.gif
yes after pupillage, the next step is being called. But what do you mean by being interested in just becoming a solicitor? I assume you know that our system is fused. So in other words, you just intend to be a corporate/conveyancing lawyer?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0205sec    0.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:25 PM