Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Pathway to become Lawyer

views

alsree786
post Aug 28 2009, 10:56 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(edennature @ Aug 28 2009, 09:31 PM)
why you simply took a law degree without referring to relevant board and London Metropolitan is one of the worst university in UK.The only way to let you to become a qualified person is to obtain the title Barrister at law and admit to the Bar of England and Wales.

regard a-levels,you NEED to obtain at least 2 principle passes in a-level.No matter what other qualifications you get,A-Level is a MUST for you to practice in Malaysia.I think you have to take a level once you finish your bar exam.
he already graduated, dun la say his uni is one of the worst in the UK...

anyway, a barrister at law of England is a 'qualified person' under S3 of the lpa 1976. so he wun need a levels if he takes that route....
overthemoon747
post Apr 26 2010, 06:24 PM

3 posts

is it possible to do the BVC in the UK but come back to Msia to do pupillage?hahahhhahaha......just suddenly tot of it=)
amany
post Aug 31 2011, 01:37 PM

2 posts

Routes to become a lawyer (advocate&solicitor)

SPM - STPM/MATRIKULASI/A-LEVEL - LLB - CLP - PUPILAGE - CALLED TO THE BAR - LAWYER - OPEN UP A FIRM/WORK FOR OTHER FIRM

CLP.
- law graduates from local universities do not need to take CLP.

I'm much more interested to become a solicitor. currently I'm studying in an IPTA.

I just want to confirm the pathway. so, once I completed my LLB, I just need to do the pupillage, then called to the bar. right after that, am I qualified to become a solicitor? how about the traineeship? can you explain in detail?

thanks smile.gif
alsree786
post Sep 4 2011, 02:15 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(amany @ Aug 31 2011, 01:37 PM)
I'm much more interested to become a solicitor. currently I'm studying in an IPTA.

I just want to confirm the pathway. so, once I completed my LLB, I just need to do the pupillage, then called to the bar. right after that, am I qualified to become a solicitor? how about the traineeship? can you explain in detail?

thanks smile.gif
yes after pupillage, the next step is being called. But what do you mean by being interested in just becoming a solicitor? I assume you know that our system is fused. So in other words, you just intend to be a corporate/conveyancing lawyer?
amany
post Sep 4 2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(alsree786 @ Sep 4 2011, 02:15 PM)
yes after pupillage, the next step is being called. But what do you mean by being interested in just becoming a solicitor? I assume you know that our system is fused. So in other words, you just intend to be a corporate/conveyancing lawyer?
yeah, I'm intended to be a conveyancing lawyer. is that possible?
tehtmc
post Sep 4 2011, 04:26 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(amany @ Sep 4 2011, 02:28 PM)
yeah, I'm intended to be a conveyancing lawyer. is that possible?
Once you are a lawyer (called to the Bar), you are a lawyer. Obviously, you are free to choose what you want to do, whether it is purely conveyancing, purely litigation or both. You can even choose not to practise.

BTW, 'I'm intended' is bad English.
ladybaba
post Sep 6 2012, 05:06 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(barrister @ Dec 27 2007, 09:50 PM)
Oh, i think i am quite 'expert' about this, that's why i am barrister.

Routes to become a lawyer (advocate&solicitor)

SPM - STPM/MATRIKULASI/A-LEVEL - LLB - CLP - PUPILAGE - CALLED TO THE BAR - LAWYER - OPEN UP A FIRM/WORK FOR OTHER FIRM

1) Pre-university (STPM/matrikulasi/A-level/....)
-nowadays, most universities either local or foreign,  do not require a student to take subjects related to law in their pre-u studies.

2) Degree
- LLB is actually 'bachelor of law'.
- Malaysia's legal system is quite similar[I] to other legal systems practised in UK, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Australia (commonwealth countries). 
- If one wants to practise law in malaysia, he or she should not study law in USA, because the legal system there is totally different.
- if one wants to read law in Australia or New Zealand, he or she should check whether that university is recognised by malaysia bar and other bodies.
- if not mistaken, all UK universities are recognised by malaysia for its law degree.
- one needs 3 years in UK, 4 years in malaysia , new zealand and australia.

3) CLP
-CLP stands for certificate in legal practice, a certificate given to a person who passed the examination conducted by malaysia bar for law graduates from universities outside malaysia.
- alternatively, a student who studies law in UK for example, may choose to take BVC(bar vocational course) at UK which also accepted by malaysia bar to replace CLP.
- law graduates from local universities do not need to take CLP.

4) pupilage/chambering
- it is compulsory for all law graduates to work under a senior lawyer (at least 7 years of practising) for 9 months.

5) called to the bar
-after completed CLP, a law graduate will be called to the bar, which means a ceremony showing that he or she is a qualified lawyer in Malaysia.
* in Malaysia, lawyers are advocate and solicitor, all can represent their client in court.
in Hong Kong, only barrister can represent their client in higher court, same thing happens in UK.

Added on September 6, 2012, 5:09 pmare u sure about the bvc take in uk can replace the clp?bec i have a problem regard my spm result have 0 credit and i am qualify to apply for law degree due to my diploma in business can apply for the course.but i am affair that i cant take clp after i graduate my degree.the college staff telling me i am not qualify to taken clp in future due to my spm result.pls give me an accurate information about it.u can email to me. fatt0607@hotmail.com

This post has been edited by ladybaba: Sep 6 2012, 05:09 PM
jhong
post Sep 6 2012, 09:36 PM

On my way
685 posts

QUOTE(ladybaba @ Sep 6 2012, 09:06 AM)

Added on September 6, 2012, 5:09 pmare u sure about the bvc take in uk can replace the clp?bec i have a problem regard my spm result have 0 credit and i am qualify to apply for law degree due to my diploma in business can apply for the course.but i am affair that i cant take clp after i graduate my degree.the college staff telling me i am not qualify to taken clp in future due to my spm result.pls give me an accurate information about it.u can email to me. fatt0607@hotmail.com
The college is correct about this. I think taking the BPTC should be the only way for you.
felx15
post Sep 25 2016, 07:35 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(lemongirls91 @ Jun 22 2009, 12:00 PM)
Im a SPM leaver. I want to study law but I dont know which pre U shall I choose. A level? Or foundation. Most people told me that if I study Foundation and continue study Law will not be recognized in Malaysia. They told me that there would be problem if I want to work in KL or anywhere in Malaysia. Beside that, opening a firm will be a problem too. Please tell me the solution a.s.a.p.. Thanks.. I would like to know the real pre u for Law. cry.gif
hi, im currently facing the same problem as well. can i ask you a few questions about this? from what ive heard that if i take foundation directly in uk, when i come back after taking my degree in uk, Malaysian Bar Council does not recognize it and i cant practice in Malaysia. is it true? must i take A Levels?
calvintiffy
post Oct 1 2016, 03:16 AM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(felx15 @ Sep 25 2016, 07:35 PM)
hi, im currently facing the same problem as well. can i ask you a few questions about this? from what ive heard that if i take foundation directly in uk, when i come back after taking my degree in uk, Malaysian Bar Council does not recognize it and i cant practice in Malaysia. is it true? must i take A Levels?
Hey, can I ask if you've started your pre-u courses or are you still in your High School? If you've yet to enroll, or planning to pick up either one, I will strongly advise you to take A-levels instead of a foundation.
me_1980s
post Oct 23 2016, 11:17 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

Started a CLP website for all the CLP Students.

http://clponlinemy.wixsite.com/mysite

I will try to update the information and notes on daily basis as I do it on my free time only smile.gif

Hope the site will be able to help all the CLP students.

Btw, all the notes and analysis are Free rclxm9.gif

This post has been edited by me_1980s: Oct 31 2016, 11:03 AM
me_1980s
post Oct 31 2016, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

Civil procedure past year analysis (from year 2011-2015) is up for free. Hope all of you find it useful.
http://clponlinemy.wixsite.com/mysite/civil-procedure-1
me_1980s
post Nov 4 2016, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

General Paper-1st topic-Preliminary is up in our site FREE:
http://clponlinemy.wixsite.com/mysite/preliminary

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:10 AM