Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cancer, Anyone here with a close family member..

views

puppyee
post Mar 14 2009, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(Underhill @ Dec 28 2007, 06:54 PM)
I wonder how others coping with their relative struggling with cancer especially someone close like their father or mother lying in bed suffering. How much does your life change? Are you able to bear it? How did you take the news? How are you coping with the possibility of losing your love one? Financially, how do you manage it?  Does your life is all  back and forth to hospital and work?

Do you talk to someone? Ain't easy finding someone who understand unless they are in the same shoes, isn't it? Is there any support group? If your struggle is over, do you think you are the same person as you were before? If not, how?

Please share if you're one.
My bro passed away 2 years ago.. He was 18 and I was 17 when he was diagnosed with brain cancer, 3rd stage. He did not even made it for his 21st birthday...

The pain of losing a sibling is so intense that words are so hard to describe. I remember I was numb when my mom woke me up at 3am, choking from tears, tellin me that my bro was gone. I didn't cry, I drove to the hospital, my mind was blank. When I got there, the sight of his lifeless body on his bed made me released the tears that I had been holding back. When the nurses wrapped him up with white blanket, then I knew that I lost him for good. I broke down and cried my heart out.

Yes, my life revolved around hospitals and college. I flunk 2 subjects and had to attend counseling sessions. I did not discuss my bro's matter with my friends because yes, they wouldn't have understood what and how I felt so there was no need to elaborate. I remember that my parents would bring my brother to cancerlink, Its like a support group for these patients. He also attended a qigong class, most of the members in the class was cancer patients. I seriously thinks that qigong did help with his life because the bloody doctor told my family that my brother wouldn't last for 3 months and yet, he lived for 2 years.

Q) If your struggle is over, do you think you are the same person as you were before? If not, how?
I am certainly not the same person as I was before because now I learn how to care for others as I need to be strong because my parents are still very sad..They would cry when we talk about my bro and everytime when my dad saw cancer patients on tv or reality, he would turn his face away because he's afraid that he'll break down. I know that I have a big responsibility now that I'm the only child my parents have so I do my very best to not make them worry bout me..

This is all I can type as I'm not a very good "typer".. If anyone is facing the same issue like me and u feel like u nid someone to talk to, feel free to drop me a message. I will try my best to help.

This post has been edited by puppyee: Mar 17 2009, 11:07 AM
puppyee
post Mar 15 2009, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(Faith+1 @ Mar 15 2009, 12:03 AM)
Not really, my mom always go to yoga, aerobic and exercise. She even take care of her foods.

And? She kena cancer.

cry.gif
awww.. how is she now? sad.gif
puppyee
post Mar 15 2009, 12:17 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(Faith+1 @ Mar 15 2009, 12:11 AM)
My mom now quite ok already. Have to do a lot of regular scans. My whole facing financial problem because of it. Insurance almost dry as well.

cry.gif
Good to hear that she is fine now. Scans are costy but if she doesn't have to take medication or therapies, it'll save your family a bundle. If your family is facing financial problem, u cld try askin help through newspaper.

Most important, tell her not to eat sugar and too much "bou ban" (like bird nest, dong guai, etc). These things encourage cancer cells to grow and expands, especially sugar. Preferably eat organic stuffs.

This post has been edited by puppyee: Mar 15 2009, 12:18 AM
puppyee
post Mar 15 2009, 12:31 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(Faith+1 @ Mar 15 2009, 12:24 AM)
She's been taking organic stuffs since then. Kinda pity though.

My mom had went through chemotherapy a lot of times. Haiz. 

Indeed the scans are expensive.

Added on March 15, 2009, 12:25 am

My mom taking all those stuffs you mention too. She only take organic foods.
Yalo, organic food really .... uhrm..not tat nice to eat =/

Advisable try to avoid chemotherapy ba... it kills cancer cells but also kills ppl v fast because of radiation
Try qigong..don do strenuous exercise.. smile.gif

Those freakin scans, not only expensive but they hurt alot as well lorh..
I tried once n i was shoutin + cryin at the same time unsure.gif
Pity them who have to take those scans regularly.. my bro's hand were full of holes cry.gif

puppyee
post Mar 15 2009, 08:22 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Mar 15 2009, 12:44 AM)
Cancer can be cure if it's detected in early stage. How to detect it? Frequent body check? lab test? IT's still missed out very easily.

Sigh..
QUOTE(Faith+1 @ Mar 15 2009, 12:47 AM)
I thought cancer can't be cure but only can prevent it from spreading or expanding?
Cancer can't be cured (yes it cannot be cured) and can only be prevent from spreading. Even if u cut out the cancerous tumour at early stage, It'll encourage the cells to spread faster (a doctor once told me). Cancer at early stage is quite safe is safely measures are taken like controlling ur diet and stuff. Yalo, they say cancer is a genetic problem.. my grandpa died of cancer, so did my grandma and my aunt has breast cancer rclxub.gif

A little info if there're someone who doesn't know this.. cancer on any part of the body can spread (eg: bone cancer, breast cancer, can spread to leg, blood ad stuff) .. only brain cancer will remain in brain n will not spread. But the catch is, brain cancer is dangerous because the tumours will block the veins in the brain and resulting in blurry of vision, speech, kenot walk straightly, vomitting, and even can paralyze the limbs.

puppyee
post Mar 15 2009, 02:58 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Mar 15 2009, 11:16 AM)
The statement "cancer cannot be cured at any stage" mean direct give a death sentence to patient and is very unmotivating.

Brain cancer spread too, however, no matter it is histopathologically classified as benigh or malignant, it's considered as "ganas" as it's a mass that occupy spaces within the brain, and compress the brain... imaging, a very small bleeding inside brain can already make people paralyse and complain this and that, while tumor is a mass within the brain. IF operate mean u might have risk to loose some of the brain function, depend on the extend and location of the bad cell the surgeon excise.
Yes, although it is very unmotivating, we cannot deny it. Yes human have win fights against cancer but that doesn't mean they have eliminated cancer once and for all in their body. If they do not take proper precaution in their diets as well as lifestyle, there will be high chances that the cells will erupt again. I did point out that cancer can be prevented from spreading with proper ways to look after oneself.

That was wat I was implying. Brain cancer will not spread to other parts of the body, it will only spread in within the brain.Duh. No offense or whatsoever but by saying that brain cancer spread too, u're giving some kind of wrong directions to ppl as if saying that they will run through the body as well.

This post has been edited by puppyee: Mar 15 2009, 03:05 PM
puppyee
post Mar 16 2009, 10:06 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Mar 15 2009, 07:13 PM)
http://www.healthsquare.com/fgwh/wh1ch36.htm
Breast Cancer: Great Odds of a Cure
http://www.springerlink.com/content/u064hr76rrm46867/
brain tumor is spreading outside the brain

The message i want to pass out is that prevention and early detection of cancer is equally important.
I see, I've read it and I have to say, thanks for the infor. U have my sincere apology. Its glad to know that cancer can be cured nowadays. smile.gif

This post has been edited by puppyee: Mar 16 2009, 10:07 PM
puppyee
post Mar 16 2009, 11:38 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(Valentineday @ Mar 16 2009, 11:11 PM)
suk..my aunt got cancer at her stomach and it's 4th phase....the doctor say must go through 6 kumon therapy startig from next week.....i can't imagine how she look like with all her hair loss...reli like my aunt..y good person have to suffer all this while bad guy can live long by stealing and make good guy suffer!!
A lot of ppl feel that way when they discovered their close ones is diagnosed with cancer...

The thing to remember is, don't be negative...Encourage her. U might not believe this but cancer feeds on negative thoughts too (indirectly).. I know its hard to maintain a positive mind but fight the bad thoughts. =)

Btw, i think u meant chemotherapy instead of kumon therapy.

QUOTE(Faith+1 @ Mar 16 2009, 10:56 PM)
Should I start taking antioxidants product? I'm kinda worried for myself. I heard that my mom sis also going to face the same problem and doc keep advice her to do some operation.
Do u consume vitamins and stuff? Its better if u do..drink more vitagens and eat yogurts, they're good for health too =)
I'm takin Vitamin ACE,fish oil,vinegar,yogurts and vitagens everyday myself too.. I had a small tumor in my large intestine but luckily it wasn't cancerous, scared the hell out of me.
Better to be safe than riskin it if cancer are genetically active in ur family..

This post has been edited by puppyee: Mar 16 2009, 11:44 PM
puppyee
post Mar 23 2009, 11:16 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/22984...t-age-nine.html

somethin to encourage everyone smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0224sec    0.56    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:44 PM