Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Water & Electricity Account, How to transfer/change name?

views

aaronpang
post Dec 6 2007, 10:37 AM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 6 2007, 08:38 AM)
I am buying a 2nd hand house. However, I need some opinion in handling the transfer of name for the water and electricity account.
I am confused about this matter. There are 2 scenarios that I can do:

1) Ask 1st owner to close account. I reapply a new account. Deposit is paid back to the 1st owner by TNB and Syabas. Will the water/electricity supply be cut off?
2) I request to change name at TNB and Syabas. Will the deposit would be returned in this case? Will the water/electricity supply be cut off?

I have asked both TNB and Syabas and they seem to give me different answers each time I ask them. Therefore, I seek your expertise in this matter. Thanks.
Water and electricity won't be cut off... biggrin.gif

Normally you'll just apply for a new account and pay the deposit... we sold the previous property in Kota Damansara and terminated the water, electricity and phone.

We got our deposit back and the new owner applied for a new account without utilities disruption.

Just ensure that the previous owner has settled all outstanding bills...

BTW I've never came across option 2 before... hmm.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 6 2007, 10:37 AM
aaronpang
post Dec 7 2007, 11:10 AM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 6 2007, 01:47 PM)
Thanks aaron. If the previous owner close the account, do the new owner pay for re-connection fees?
You shouldn't be forking over extras unless they have some money making policy in place tongue.gif

For SYABAS just pay the deposit and registration fee... after that you're good to go.

It's the same for TNB if the meter was not removed...

On the other hand if the meter is removed you'll need to pay a reconnection fee. Reasons for meter removal can be failure to settle bills water cut or meter stolen...

Also be careful with TNB if its disconnected for prolonged periods of time more than 6 months they'll need your house wiring recertified by an electrician (sauce)

Just wondering when does the 1st owner close the account? After the new owner get the keys?
We disconnected the utilities after the letter of offer/undertaking and earnest deposit has been paid. Alternatively you can do it after the sales agreement has been signed its up to the individual seller.

How long after you close the account, then the new owner re-apply?
Not sure because we're the seller not buyer I don't think it would take too long... check with the respective utilities companies...

How long did you have to wait to get back the deposit?
TNB it took them 3 months to give back our deposit... SYABAS I can't remember how long it took them...

I think I got confused, 2nd option is actually not possible?  rclxub.gif
I'm not sure of this option because I've not came across it maybe you can do it but check and verify with the utilities company.
aaronpang
post Dec 12 2007, 04:25 PM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 12 2007, 09:25 AM)
Thanks all for your replies.
The problem for me is that my vendor insist that I pay him the deposit. He prefer that I get the deposit from TNB/Syabas myself? I don't think that's doable.
If in doubt stick to the steps I've outlined earlier rather than taking an unmitigated risk...

There is always a chance the vendor may have problems getting their deposit back from TNB so they're trying to get it back from you... rolleyes.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:55 AM