Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Water & Electricity Account, How to transfer/change name?

views

TSMorning Glory
post Dec 6 2007, 08:38 AM, updated 17y ago

25 posts

I am buying a 2nd hand house. However, I need some opinion in handling the transfer of name for the water and electricity account.
I am confused about this matter. There are 2 scenarios that I can do:

1) Ask 1st owner to close account. I reapply a new account. Deposit is paid back to the 1st owner by TNB and Syabas. Will the water/electricity supply be cut off?
2) I request to change name at TNB and Syabas. Will the deposit would be returned in this case? Will the water/electricity supply be cut off?

I have asked both TNB and Syabas and they seem to give me different answers each time I ask them. Therefore, I seek your expertise in this matter. Thanks.
aaronpang
post Dec 6 2007, 10:37 AM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 6 2007, 08:38 AM)
I am buying a 2nd hand house. However, I need some opinion in handling the transfer of name for the water and electricity account.

1) Ask 1st owner to close account. I reapply a new account. Deposit is paid back to the 1st owner by TNB and Syabas. Will the water/electricity supply be cut off?
2) I request to change name at TNB and Syabas. Will the deposit would be returned in this case? Will the water/electricity supply be cut off?

I have asked both TNB and Syabas and they seem to give me different answers each time I ask them. Therefore, I seek your expertise in this matter. Thanks.
Water and electricity won't be cut off... biggrin.gif

Normally you'll just apply for a new account and pay the deposit... we sold the previous property in Kota Damansara and terminated the water, electricity and phone.

We got our deposit back and the new owner applied for a new account without utilities disruption.

Just ensure that the previous owner has settled all outstanding bills...

BTW I've never came across option 2 before... hmm.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 6 2007, 10:37 AM
TSMorning Glory
post Dec 6 2007, 01:47 PM

25 posts

Thanks aaron. If the previous owner close the account, do the new owner pay for re-connection fees?
Just wondering when does the 1st owner close the account? After the new owner get the keys?
How long after you close the account, then the new owner re-apply? How long did you have to wait to get back the deposit? I think I got confused, 2nd option is actually not possible? rclxub.gif
aaronpang
post Dec 7 2007, 11:10 AM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 6 2007, 01:47 PM)
Thanks aaron. If the previous owner close the account, do the new owner pay for re-connection fees?
You shouldn't be forking over extras unless they have some money making policy in place tongue.gif

For SYABAS just pay the deposit and registration fee... after that you're good to go.

It's the same for TNB if the meter was not removed...

On the other hand if the meter is removed you'll need to pay a reconnection fee. Reasons for meter removal can be failure to settle bills water cut or meter stolen...

Also be careful with TNB if its disconnected for prolonged periods of time more than 6 months they'll need your house wiring recertified by an electrician (sauce)

Just wondering when does the 1st owner close the account? After the new owner get the keys?
We disconnected the utilities after the letter of offer/undertaking and earnest deposit has been paid. Alternatively you can do it after the sales agreement has been signed its up to the individual seller.

How long after you close the account, then the new owner re-apply?
Not sure because we're the seller not buyer I don't think it would take too long... check with the respective utilities companies...

How long did you have to wait to get back the deposit?
TNB it took them 3 months to give back our deposit... SYABAS I can't remember how long it took them...

I think I got confused, 2nd option is actually not possible?  rclxub.gif
I'm not sure of this option because I've not came across it maybe you can do it but check and verify with the utilities company.
a6meister
post Dec 11 2007, 01:34 PM

Casual
462 posts

actually, this processes are pretty straight forward. For TNB, just ask the previous owner to cancel the account and get refunded all the deposits. for u, (the new owner), just need to bring some documents (such as s&p, cf) to TNB, apply for a new account, which can be 1 or 3 phase (rm250 or rm 500) as deposit. and u are done.

for water, the procedures goes the same.
scorgio
post Dec 11 2007, 11:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,571 posts

The previous a/c holder doesn't need to go & cancel his a/c.

New owner just go & apply for new a/c with relevant supporting docs.

After the new a/c is generated, the previous one would be automatically closed. And the previous owner will be inform by them to collect the balance (deposit after deduction).
TSMorning Glory
post Dec 12 2007, 09:25 AM

25 posts

Thanks all for your replies.
The problem for me is that my vendor insist that I pay him the deposit. He prefer that I get the deposit from TNB/Syabas myself? I don't think that's doable.
a6meister
post Dec 12 2007, 11:17 AM

Casual
462 posts

QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 12 2007, 09:25 AM)
The problem for me is that my vendor insist that I pay him the deposit. He prefer that I get the deposit from TNB/Syabas myself? I don't think that's doable.
well, it supposed to be a very simple process to go through. but, what make me wonder now why he refused to walk into tnb, is might be they have done some heck into the tnb electricity meter ? or i guess he is just too busy.

get a letter of consent from him with signature and photocopy of id, and try your luck from there.
aaronpang
post Dec 12 2007, 04:25 PM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

If in doubt stick to the steps I've outlined earlier rather than taking an unmitigated risk...

There is always a chance the vendor may have problems getting their deposit back from TNB so they're trying to get it back from you... rolleyes.gif
TSMorning Glory
post Dec 17 2007, 04:17 PM

25 posts

Yeah i have a sinking feeling that is the case. But anyhow i told them that TNB/Syabas pays the deposit directly according to the registered name.

Now I have another question. My lawyer have sent all the required doc for adjudication, but have not receive the outcome. Recently, we have received the redemption statement from the vendor's lawyer. My lawyer is asking me to pay the differential sum to the vendor's lawyer.

My worry is, is it safe to pay the differential sum to the vendor's lawyer now? When is the right time to do this?

Sorry for asking so many questions, Thank You all for your input.
abbey
post Apr 3 2008, 09:00 PM

41 posts

Hi all,

If I am buying a condo (instead of landed house) from the second hand market, is the procedure the same?

For electricity, I'm told that I just need to go to the TNB office to open a new account.

But I am somewhat confused regarding the water account. Should I open an account and pay deposit to condo's management office or Syabas?

Like TS, I've been getting conflicting answers from people that I I asked.

I'm told that for condos, eletricity is individual accounts and the meter reader comes individually but the water is centralised and management office has some billing system ...please correct me if I'm misinformed?

RickOoi
post Mar 16 2009, 12:57 PM

Casual
400 posts

For my recent completed condo purchase, I have to apply new account with TNB for electricity. For water usage, the condo management will charge me instead.

So far the seller has not close the electricity account with TNB, but I will proceed to apply for new account. I think this should be the processes as suggested by Scorgio.

TNB is not responsive to query mad.gif Email them, they didn't reply althuogh website acknowledge receipt of my email. Called like ten over times, no body picks up the phone. Some service. vmad.gif

Thank you so much for this forum and discussion. And thank you all for the insightful answers. rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by RickOoi: Mar 16 2009, 12:59 PM
maideii
post Sep 2 2009, 11:27 AM

35 posts

For my case, I am a bit confused. I had bought a 2nd hand condo. Then the vendor had owe a lot to TNB and been disconnected. For reconnection, do I need to wait till the vendor pay off all his debt? My lawyer mentioned just go ahead and do the reconnection without waiting for the debt to clear by the vendor but I had read some of the term & condition from TNB is the opposite way.
ehl
post Sep 3 2009, 05:33 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(maideii @ Sep 2 2009, 11:27 AM)
For my case, I am a bit confused. I had bought a 2nd hand condo. Then the vendor had owe a lot to TNB and been disconnected. For reconnection, do I need to wait till the vendor pay off all his debt? My lawyer mentioned just go ahead and do the reconnection without waiting for the debt to clear by the vendor but I had read some of the term & condition from TNB is the opposite way.
Generally, your SnP should state that all utilities charges should be cleared by the vendor, Ask the lawyer to retain a sum of money to pay these bill, which normally they do.

I remember asking this question when I am at TNB, they will ask you to sign a letter of indemnity to compensate TNB if the vendor deposit is not enought to cover the bills.

Added on September 3, 2009, 5:40 pm
Buyer will not get back any deposit from utilities companies.. so dont pay deposit to vendor.

If vendor (registered owner) go to utilities company to cancel the services, he can instruct how to collect the money, but the cheque is going to be issued to the registered owner.

Added on September 3, 2009, 5:48 pm
QUOTE(Morning Glory @ Dec 6 2007, 08:38 AM)

A) if owner terminate the water and electricity first then all will be cut off. Reconnect back all, I think I pay some charges during registration.
B) Appy before or together with the owner.

as to your option 2, utilities company will not pay any person other than the registered name.

This post has been edited by ehl: Sep 3 2009, 05:48 PM
margarita90
post Nov 12 2010, 02:26 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

i wish to ask, if bought 2nd hand condo, and to apply for the electricity, is it possible to go to a TNB branch which is nearest to my place? eg. my hometown, instead of the state in which the condo bought is? i am helping my mum to ask this question, as she bought a condo at kl but she resides in our hometown, it's not convenient to come to kl just to apply for the electricity, unless really no choice. want to know if it's possible to apply at her hometown instead. thanks...
leongal
post Nov 12 2010, 02:55 PM

~I have a new mission in life~
3,188 posts

QUOTE(margarita90 @ Nov 12 2010, 02:26 PM)
i wish to ask, if bought 2nd hand condo, and to apply for the electricity, is it possible to go to a TNB branch which is nearest to my place? eg. my hometown, instead of the state in which the condo bought is? i am helping my mum to ask this question, as she bought a condo at kl but she resides in our hometown, it's not convenient to come to kl just to apply for the electricity, unless really no choice. want to know if it's possible to apply at her hometown instead. thanks...
best to clarify with them at 1-300-88-5454
yoki
post Nov 12 2010, 04:39 PM

Regular
1,313 posts

those who rent, do they get their names as the user for TNB or syabas?

if still need to stick to the S&P owner?

if tenant run road and electric bill >deposit how?
margarita90
post Nov 15 2010, 10:01 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

anyone tried applying for TNB online? is it a must to go apply at a TNB branch itself? for condo, is it confirmed that for all condos, no need to apply for the water? thanks
shakiraa
post Mar 11 2014, 09:27 PM

hips dont lie
785 posts

hi all, I heard we need to buy stamp to apply for reconnection? can someone educate me? I don't want to waste my time to go there then only realize I need this. thanks.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0217sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:30 PM