Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Windows on ARM (WARM), Anybody planning to give it a try?

views

TSpetrofsky77
post May 25 2024, 07:02 PM, updated 2d ago

Temet nosce
1,567 posts

Hi all,

With the recent announcement by MS regarding the new age of of Windows AI, they have also unveiled a new slew of laptops that will be running on Snapdragon X Elite and Plus SoCs. Personally, I am intrigued to give this a try since I want the efficiency and great battery life of a Macbook, but with Windows OS, since most of the apps I use are only Windows. What are your thoughts on this? Are you willing to give this a try, or will this be another failure like the previous Windows RT?
andrekua2
post May 25 2024, 11:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,700 posts

I think it has more to do with the apps that you are using. If you are just using Office, browser, you will have no problem switching. For others with older and pricey software, mostly likely they will stay with X86 especially those that are related to manufacturing sides.
HolySatan
post May 28 2024, 09:46 PM

Regular
1,081 posts

user posted image

Windows 11 Pro in Parallels Desktop, Macbook Pro
zero_kbom
post May 31 2024, 11:24 PM

~I'll make you Miku Miku~
953 posts

Honestly, I have been using Windows on Arm on my Joibook SK3000 running snapdragon 850 with 4gb of ram and tbh, I would not go back to x86 based PC.

Good enough performance with outstanding battery life and all the apps I used were available on Arm ( Edge Chromium + webapps, Office suite)

Looking forward for new Snapdragon X PCs

user posted image
nate_nightroad
post May 31 2024, 11:27 PM

Endless numbered days...
3,569 posts

Well legacy drivers are going to suck

Developers doing twice the work for x64 and arm

Unless microsoft drop x64, arm might be the minority group
TSpetrofsky77
post Jun 4 2024, 11:57 AM

Temet nosce
1,567 posts

QUOTE(zero_kbom @ May 31 2024, 11:24 PM)
Honestly, I have been using Windows on Arm on my Joibook SK3000 running snapdragon 850 with 4gb of ram and tbh, I would not go back to x86 based PC.

Good enough performance with outstanding battery life and all the apps I used were available on Arm ( Edge Chromium + webapps, Office suite)

Looking forward for new Snapdragon X PCs

user posted image
Have you tried the x64 emulation on WARM? What's the impact on overall SoC usage? Does it respond similar to a native x64 Windows or slightly or greatly slower?
TSpetrofsky77
post Jun 4 2024, 11:58 AM

Temet nosce
1,567 posts

QUOTE(nate_nightroad @ May 31 2024, 11:27 PM)
Well legacy drivers are going to suck

Developers doing twice the work for x64 and arm

Unless microsoft drop x64, arm might be the minority group
True on this, unless MS sets clear roadmap that the future is going to be based on ARM entirely, else I don't see devs ditching x64 anytime soon, just like what Apple did with their Mac lineups.
nate_nightroad
post Jun 4 2024, 12:08 PM

Endless numbered days...
3,569 posts

QUOTE(petrofsky77 @ Jun 4 2024, 11:58 AM)
True on this, unless MS sets clear roadmap that the future is going to be based on ARM entirely, else I don't see devs ditching x64 anytime soon, just like what Apple did with their Mac lineups.
And apple has rosetta 2 for legacy apps on x64. I doubt there is something for windows
zero_kbom
post Jun 7 2024, 11:33 PM

~I'll make you Miku Miku~
953 posts

QUOTE(petrofsky77 @ Jun 4 2024, 11:57 AM)
Have you tried the x64 emulation on WARM? What's the impact on overall SoC usage? Does it respond similar to a native x64 Windows or slightly or greatly slower?
To tell the truth, the only X64 apps I used were Tailscale, Xtreme Download Manager and Samsung Notes app on PC.
Only took slightly longer time to start the app (cold start) but once loaded, performance is good enough for me.

Mind I am only using an old Snapdragon 850 PC, and the new Snapdragon X ones were miles and many times better than this PC
andrekua2
post Jun 8 2024, 10:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,700 posts

It seems like Intel Lunar Lake will pose a challenge to Elite X by a complete redesign of the cores. I think only AMD is being left out now since they are sticking with the older max performance power configuration.

Anyway, I dont think these laptop will appeal to the mass as of now because I think these will be priced above USD1000 at the very least, chasing after Apple Macbooks.
TSpetrofsky77
post Jun 14 2024, 02:21 PM

Temet nosce
1,567 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Jun 8 2024, 10:58 PM)
It seems like Intel Lunar Lake will pose a challenge to Elite X by a complete redesign of the cores. I think only AMD is being left out now since they are sticking with the older max performance power configuration.

Anyway, I dont think these laptop will appeal to the mass as of now because I think these will be priced above USD1000 at the very least, chasing after Apple Macbooks.
MS laptops will def be priced around that, since they are also aiming for that premium hardware offering. Other manufs will prolly offer something decent down the line, to bring the rate of adoption higher.
andrekua2
post Jun 14 2024, 09:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,700 posts

QUOTE(petrofsky77 @ Jun 14 2024, 02:21 PM)
MS laptops will def be priced around that, since they are also aiming for that premium hardware offering. Other manufs will prolly offer something decent down the line, to bring the rate of adoption higher.
Hopefully but I dont have high hopes... considering that Qualcomm is selling Snapdragon 8 Gen3 chip in excess of USD200... I doubt they will sell the X series cheaper. Unless Microsoft subsidize these laptop, I dont see a hope for sub 4k X Elite/Plus laptops.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.63    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 11:24 AM