Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I feel like i got conned into my new job!

views

TSicebabyx86
post May 12 2024, 10:57 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(kezsz @ May 11 2024, 12:18 AM)
Doesn't make sense to resign for 1k.. and since your old boss was so good to you why did you resign in the first case?
previous company is big but i would say not doing great, when my friend recommended me this new company she tells me she thinks its a much more stable company and in terms of growth its there. new company is big and well known as well and the hiring manager will jaga me etc. without formal interview dah ons wana hire, so at that time im thinking that rm1k jump made sense (easy hire, stable, friend recommend, +$) sad.gif

im sharing this story because i want people dont be rash like me, think properly, dont because it looks good then jump on it. not every opportunity that knock on your door is a good one. and grass is not always greener on the other side.
sometimes you are lucky you can go back to the old grass, sometimes you're not.
its not that my opportunity is not good, it is a good one if u you can tolerate and do what you are required.
i hope my lesson help others.
kezsz
post May 12 2024, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(icebabyx86 @ May 12 2024, 10:57 AM)
previous company is big but i would say not doing great, when my friend recommended me this new company she tells me she thinks its a much more stable company and in terms of growth its there. new company is big and well known as well and the hiring manager will jaga me etc. without formal interview dah ons wana hire, so at that time im thinking that rm1k jump made sense (easy hire, stable, friend recommend, +$)  sad.gif

im sharing this story because i want people dont be rash like me, think properly, dont because it looks good then jump on it. not every opportunity that knock on your door is a good one. and grass is not always greener on the other side.
sometimes you are lucky you can go back to the old grass, sometimes you're not.
its not that my opportunity is not good, it is a good one if u you can tolerate and do what you are required.
i hope my lesson help others.
Can you go back to your old company? Hopefully you can

labamba
post May 12 2024, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

Maybe try to persevere in overcoming your shyness in front of crowds.

I was like you early in my career and overcame it by repeated exposure.. both involuntary and voluntary. You will overcome it if you keep trying. It is really useful to be able to speak in front of others.. hard to progress in career without this imho.

This post has been edited by labamba: May 12 2024, 10:48 PM
hoonanoo
post May 14 2024, 04:39 PM

Enthusiast
872 posts

QUOTE(icebabyx86 @ May 9 2024, 05:15 PM)
I feel like i got conned into my new job and i hate everyday of it.

I know many people would have been grateful to have a job but here is the story.
Just sharing as nothing much can be done unless you all can persuade my old company to take me back hehe.

I was working in Company A for a month, and my friend reached out to me and asked if i was interested in an opportunity to be a PA, the hiring manager her friend is very keen and even without formal interview but we did video call.

In the call, i specifically mentioned that i am unable to stand in front of a lot of people and talk, maybe like 5 but thats it. He did not really reply to that but ask another question which is how about reaching out to client's PA? to which i said thats not in front of a lot of people just one on one and he said OK.
He said he will work with me should i have any issues he will assist to sort it out,

hes okay with me not following strict 9-6pm.
he wont bother me after working hours if its not important etc.

lots of politicking from the other PA's. i find out from my friend after i sign the offer letter.

There is Rm1k increment.

Fastforward, i am here now and on 1st day i get the worst news ever.

i am required to introduce myself in front of everyone about 100+

i am required to perform in a group during our company trip

i am required to go on team trips with the politicking people.

i am not allowed to wfh until i pass my probation.

he travels all the time so basically i have to follow his timing and work late due to time zone, if we had a call at 1030pm he doesn't say you can go to work later tomorrow.

i relay problem 1 and 2 to him, i said its not what we discussed. he said its fine small matter ill learn and its only for a few minutes and he will be there. and the performance its a group and so people know me, everyone have to do it.

my issue is for this mere RM1k increase, i have to do things i dont like, deal with politickings, work late etc.
i am sooo upset i left my previous job because the hiring manager was not honest and upfront about it.

in my old place, my boss was like my friend and my team members are good.
if i would know all these facts, i would have never left in the first place.

i hate it when i tell them my issue, they keep saying you'll learn, you need to go grow bla bla. (again you both missed the point of misleading me and i trusted you).
who on earth will tell their interviewers upfront about their weakness if its not a huge issue? sometimes these managers are so desperate to get people they hide facts and once you are in, its not easy to leave.

Is it my fault for having anxiety problem in front of people?  console.gif

Anyways make sure you find out all the facts during interview, ask all the necessary questions and make sure you get an answer. then weigh, if its for money is the increment sufficient to cover the troubles if any (distance, toll, flexibility etc). It may not seem important but in long run, trust me for your mental health it is.
The only option is that you either go find another job or you ask your old boss to take u back.

But take home points: learning how to overcome politicking, opportunity to speak to big crowd and having team trips are good learning exposure to improve yourself.

However I don't like the idea of staying back after work to fit to the bosses punya time schedule.

Its one of the nightmares of being a PA.

If your Boss lepak, then ok lah, but if your boss is a workaholic, good luck.

On other hand, if your boss is powerful, you can also play the politicking game.

This post has been edited by hoonanoo: May 14 2024, 04:41 PM
TSicebabyx86
post May 15 2024, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(labamba @ May 12 2024, 10:48 PM)
Maybe try to persevere in overcoming your shyness in front of crowds.

I was like you early in my career and overcame it by repeated exposure.. both involuntary and voluntary. You will overcome it if you keep trying. It is really useful to be able to speak in front of others.. hard to progress in career without this imho.
Ya definitely useful skill to have.
Sometimes feel like a failure been working so long but still so shyyy.
TSicebabyx86
post May 15 2024, 10:43 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(hoonanoo @ May 14 2024, 04:39 PM)
The only option is that you either go find another job or you ask your old boss to take u back.

But take home points: learning how to overcome politicking, opportunity to speak to big crowd and having team trips are good learning exposure to improve yourself.

However I don't like the idea of staying back after work to fit to the bosses punya time schedule.

Its one of the nightmares of being a PA.

If your Boss lepak, then ok lah, but if your boss is a workaholic, good luck.

On other hand, if your boss is powerful, you can also play the politicking game.
PA usually follow bosses timing, dont like also have to and if he travels a lot habis la, especially to countries with big time difference and you cant say no with the excuse its not within your usual working hours.
Boss i position powerful but for some reason, the previous EA's have been nightmares for him and he has been doing things himself.
i have no idea why. But when i heard the story im thinking these ladies are not easy to handle.

HAHA with those skills i can be a president adi HEHE.
TSicebabyx86
post May 15 2024, 10:44 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(kezsz @ May 12 2024, 01:23 PM)
Can you go back to your old company? Hopefully you can
Hmmm i feel paiseh also even though i really want to. Cause like the wind in and out.
I will try to tahan in my current one first, if really really wanna die then i will try and reach out to my old boss.
zuozi
post May 15 2024, 10:57 AM

Enthusiast
932 posts

Question , is ts confident or proud by your own look and body count? since related to pa i can assume you're female ?

This post has been edited by zuozi: May 15 2024, 10:57 AM
kezsz
post May 15 2024, 09:59 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(icebabyx86 @ May 15 2024, 10:44 AM)
Hmmm i feel paiseh also even though i really want to. Cause like the wind in and out.
I will try to tahan in my current one first, if really really wanna die then i will try and reach out to my old boss.
Dont feel paiseh.. chin up & call him and admit it was a mistake.. I had staff who regretted moving out and reached out apologizing, luckily I haven't hired someone to replace her and brought her back... Man up, apologize and call him quick before he hire someone else..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 11:35 AM